BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-18-2012, 08:54 PM   #1
clar
Major
clar's Avatar
Singapore
26
Rep
1,034
Posts

 
Drives: M5
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Singapore

iTrader: (0)

220M vs ZCP Wheels

220M:
Fronts: 19x8.5 (offset +29)
Rears: 19x9.5 (offset +23)

ZCP:
Fronts: 19x9 (offset +31)
Rears: 19x10 (offset +25)

So the ZCP wheels are wider, but the 220M offset is less. I am trying to order a set of COR wheels, but they can't do it in ZCP sizes so might have to settle for 220M sizes. My question is, does the 220M dimension look less aggressive than the ZCP or does the offset cancel out the size difference visually?
__________________

- Frozen Grey F10 M5 DCT
- Rosso Corsa 458 Speciale
- Frozen Grey E92 M3 Sold

Last edited by clar; 02-19-2012 at 02:52 AM.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2012, 12:04 AM   #2
ChrisK
Brigadier General
ChrisK's Avatar
United_States
86
Rep
4,865
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: IL

iTrader: (4)

The 220m's have a more square look and I think look great on the M3.
Attached Images
   
__________________

2011 E92 M3: AW/BLK • DCT
Europäische Lieferung am 6. August 2010
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2012, 01:38 AM   #3
Dave07997S
Colonel
37
Rep
2,555
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 BMW M3 ZCP Coupe
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Playa del Rey, CA

iTrader: (1)

I'll raise your 220s with my ZCPs...









I am running a 255/285 setup with the ZCPs.
__________________
2013 M3 Coupe-MR/BLK ZCP, ACM test pipes, BPM Stg2 dev. tune and Megan catback, AFE Stg2. with C/F elbow
Previous rides: 2011 M3 Coupe-MR/Blk
2007 Porsche 997C2S Speed Yellow/Blk sport seats
2004 BMW M3 Imola/Blk
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2012, 01:39 AM   #4
aajami
Brigadier General
aajami's Avatar
United_States
65
Rep
4,084
Posts

 
Drives: Space Gray '09 E92 M3
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Manhattan Beach, CA

iTrader: (4)

The 359Ms sit 4mm wider, front and back, than the 220Ms.
__________________
'09 E92 M3: Space Gray, Black, Carbon Leather | ZTP 2MK ZPP 2MT 6FL | link 1 / link 2
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | 240J ECU flash | LCI Euro taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2012, 01:50 AM   #5
aajami
Brigadier General
aajami's Avatar
United_States
65
Rep
4,084
Posts

 
Drives: Space Gray '09 E92 M3
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Manhattan Beach, CA

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave07997S View Post
I am running a 255/285 setup with the ZCPs.
Dave, are you running an aspect ratio of 30? It's crazy that your 285s seem to have a thinner profile than my 275s.





__________________
'09 E92 M3: Space Gray, Black, Carbon Leather | ZTP 2MK ZPP 2MT 6FL | link 1 / link 2
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | 240J ECU flash | LCI Euro taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2012, 02:21 AM   #6
Dave07997S
Colonel
37
Rep
2,555
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 BMW M3 ZCP Coupe
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Playa del Rey, CA

iTrader: (1)

Yes running GTS sizes of 255/35/19 and 285/30/19s. BTW man your car looks great..

Dave
__________________
2013 M3 Coupe-MR/BLK ZCP, ACM test pipes, BPM Stg2 dev. tune and Megan catback, AFE Stg2. with C/F elbow
Previous rides: 2011 M3 Coupe-MR/Blk
2007 Porsche 997C2S Speed Yellow/Blk sport seats
2004 BMW M3 Imola/Blk

Last edited by Dave07997S; 02-19-2012 at 12:40 PM.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2012, 09:04 AM   #7
ChrisK
Brigadier General
ChrisK's Avatar
United_States
86
Rep
4,865
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: IL

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave07997S View Post
Yes running GTS sizes of 255/35/19 and 285/30/19s.

Dave
Oh Dave, this wasn't a bash ZCP wheels reply.
__________________

2011 E92 M3: AW/BLK • DCT
Europäische Lieferung am 6. August 2010
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2012, 12:39 PM   #8
Dave07997S
Colonel
37
Rep
2,555
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 BMW M3 ZCP Coupe
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Playa del Rey, CA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisK View Post
Oh Dave, this wasn't a bash ZCP wheels reply.
Didn't take it that way...just spreading the love of ZCPs.

__________________
2013 M3 Coupe-MR/BLK ZCP, ACM test pipes, BPM Stg2 dev. tune and Megan catback, AFE Stg2. with C/F elbow
Previous rides: 2011 M3 Coupe-MR/Blk
2007 Porsche 997C2S Speed Yellow/Blk sport seats
2004 BMW M3 Imola/Blk
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 02:52 AM   #9
aajami
Brigadier General
aajami's Avatar
United_States
65
Rep
4,084
Posts

 
Drives: Space Gray '09 E92 M3
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Manhattan Beach, CA

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave07997S View Post
Yes running GTS sizes of 255/35/19 and 285/30/19s. BTW man your car looks great..

Dave
Thanks, sir. Yours as well.

It's almost time for me to get new rubber. I think I'll go with Michelin PSSs in GTS fitment -- I really like the look of your rears. How do they ride?
__________________
'09 E92 M3: Space Gray, Black, Carbon Leather | ZTP 2MK ZPP 2MT 6FL | link 1 / link 2
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | 240J ECU flash | LCI Euro taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 03:02 AM   #10
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
75
Rep
6,775
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NYC

iTrader: (4)

ZCPs all day long...most aftermarket wheels dont offer a 9" front setup..which is really puzzling..they either do 8.5 or 9.5..a 9" is perfect

Wider wheels make a huge difference that offset alone cant compensate for.

Think of it this way wider wheels that are very slightly tucked vs narrow wheels spaced out..IMO the latter doesnt look as good..and def doesnt handle and feel as good.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 03:04 AM   #11
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
75
Rep
6,775
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NYC

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aajami View Post
The 359Ms sit 4mm wider, front and back, than the 220Ms.
?????..a half inch is not 4mm..how do you come up with this calculation..12.8mm is the correct number
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 10:28 AM   #12
aajami
Brigadier General
aajami's Avatar
United_States
65
Rep
4,084
Posts

 
Drives: Space Gray '09 E92 M3
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Manhattan Beach, CA

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibra1 View Post
?????..a half inch is not 4mm..how do you come up with this calculation..12.8mm is the correct number
Yeah, half an inch is ~12.8mm, but you need to do more than convert the difference in wheel widths to millimeters to determine how they sit compared to each other.
  • Difference between 220M and 359M is ~+12mm (rounding down)
  • Difference along the outer side of the wheel is ~+6mm
  • Difference in offset from hub to outer side is -2mm
  • Total difference from hub to outer side = sits ~+4mm wider
__________________
'09 E92 M3: Space Gray, Black, Carbon Leather | ZTP 2MK ZPP 2MT 6FL | link 1 / link 2
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | 240J ECU flash | LCI Euro taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 10:43 AM   #13
Alex07M3
Colonel
26
Rep
2,121
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3, Evo X MR, A4 Allroad
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Gatineau

iTrader: (1)

I have both , the 220m for winter and the ZCP for rest of the year , I run 255 and 295 on the ZCP and it looks A LOT more aggressive !! I love the 220m when I put them ,but after 2 days I miss my ZCPs !

Name:  wheels 220m.JPG
Views: 5451
Size:  172.4 KB
Name:  wheels zcp.JPG
Views: 5802
Size:  153.8 KB
__________________
ESS VT1, M Performance exhaust, Turner test pipes, KW V3s, Michelin PSS 255/295
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 11:35 AM   #14
ModBargains.com
Banned
United_States
316
Rep
13,593
Posts

 
Drives: JB E92 335i
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: 1721 E. Lambert Rd #C, La Habra, CA 90631

iTrader: (51)

The OEM setups are great, but the offsets definitely aren't as aggressive as most would like. If you guys are looking for the best of both worlds, you guys can also check out the Avant Garde M359 Matte Black wheels. They're available in the 19x9.0 ET15 and 19x10 ET25 for a more flush look. Here are a couple installed pictures for you guys to check out!

[IMG]http://www.**********s.com/images/Products/Avant%20Garde/M359%20Gallery/e92-m3-grey-black-avant-garde-m359-wheels-1.JPG[/IMG]

[IMG]http://www.**********s.com/images/Products/Avant%20Garde/M359%20Gallery/e92-m3-grey-black-avant-garde-m359-wheels-2.JPG[/IMG]

[IMG]http://www.**********s.com/images/Products/Avant%20Garde/M359%20Pictures/avant-garde-m359-Frozen-Black-e9x-m3-3.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://www.**********s.com/images/Products/Avant%20Garde/M359%20Pictures/avant-garde-m359-Frozen-Black-e9x-m3-4.jpg[/IMG]
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 01:16 PM   #15
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
75
Rep
6,775
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NYC

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aajami View Post
Yeah, half an inch is ~12.8mm, but you need to do more than convert the difference in wheel widths to millimeters to determine how they sit compared to each other.
  • Difference between 220M and 359M is ~+12mm (rounding down)
  • Difference along the outer side of the wheel is ~+6mm
  • Difference in offset from hub to outer side is -2mm
  • Total difference from hub to outer side = sits ~+4mm wider
So your are comparing only the outer face of the wheel ..what about the suspension side..width is increased on this side as well.. which plays a role in handling and more agressive stance of the car..to say its only a 4mm difference is dis-ingenious.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 01:44 PM   #16
aajami
Brigadier General
aajami's Avatar
United_States
65
Rep
4,084
Posts

 
Drives: Space Gray '09 E92 M3
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Manhattan Beach, CA

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibra1 View Post
So your are comparing only the outer face of the wheel ..what about the suspension side..width is increased on this side as well.. which plays a role in handling and more agressive stance of the car..to say its only a 4mm difference is dis-ingenious.
I was answering the OP's question on how aggressive the two wheels look. Fitment issues notwithstanding (and they don't, given that both wheels are OEM items), people consider how a wheel looks on the side that everyone will see it: the outside.

Quote:
My question is, does the 220M dimension look less aggressive than the ZCP or does the offset cancel out the size difference visually?
So I would say that my answer was quite candid.

Also, "dis-ingenious" is not a word.
__________________
'09 E92 M3: Space Gray, Black, Carbon Leather | ZTP 2MK ZPP 2MT 6FL | link 1 / link 2
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | 240J ECU flash | LCI Euro taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 01:51 PM   #17
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
75
Rep
6,775
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NYC

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aajami View Post
I was answering the OP's question on how aggressive the two wheels look. Fitment issues notwithstanding (and they don't, given that both wheels are OEM items), people consider how a wheel looks on the side that everyone will see it: the outside. .

And thats wrong because the profile of the wheel is inclusive of both sides and absolutely makes a diff..slap both wheels on and see if you only observe a 4mm diff...you wont..b/c the inner side of the wheel looking at the car from different angles matters..not just looking at the face of the wheel from a 180 degree view.

Also, disingenious IS a word.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 02:00 PM   #18
aajami
Brigadier General
aajami's Avatar
United_States
65
Rep
4,084
Posts

 
Drives: Space Gray '09 E92 M3
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Manhattan Beach, CA

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibra1 View Post
And thats wrong because the profile of the wheel is inclusive of both sides and absolutely makes a diff..slap both wheels on and see if you only observe a 4mm diff...you wont..b/c the inner side of the wheel looking at the car from different angles matters..not just looking at the face of the wheel from a 180 degree view.

Also, disingenious IS a word.
I switched my 220Ms to 357Ms a while back, and I did observe a 4mm increase along the outer side. I did not observe an 8mm increase along the inside of the car because I'm not a leprechaun that hangs out between my wheel well and rear axle.

Ingenious is a word. Disingenuous is word. "Disingenious" (with or without the hyphen), sadly, is not.
__________________
'09 E92 M3: Space Gray, Black, Carbon Leather | ZTP 2MK ZPP 2MT 6FL | link 1 / link 2
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | 240J ECU flash | LCI Euro taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 02:10 PM   #19
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
75
Rep
6,775
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NYC

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aajami View Post
I switched my 220Ms to 357Ms a while back, and I did observe a 4mm increase along the outer side. I did not observe an 8mm increase along the inside of the car because I'm not a leprechaun that hangs out between my wheel well and rear axle.

Ingenious is a word. Disingenuous is word. "Disingenious" (with or without the hyphen), sadly, is not.
Maybe consider reading a little more?

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/disingenuous

So following your logic why dont you run some 8 inch wide wheels and space them out to like et 5-10 since it doesnt matter looks the same right?

So your telling me this looks to be a diff of 4mm? Im not even a leprechaun and can tell that it isnt...(same tire sizes btw 245/265)

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 4631
Size:  391.8 KB

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 5189
Size:  278.6 KB

Last edited by tibra1; 02-21-2012 at 02:32 PM.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 02:36 PM   #20
aajami
Brigadier General
aajami's Avatar
United_States
65
Rep
4,084
Posts

 
Drives: Space Gray '09 E92 M3
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Manhattan Beach, CA

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibra1 View Post
Maybe consider reading a little more?

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/disingenuous

So following your logic why dont you run some 8 inch wide wheels and space them out to like et 5-10 since it doesnt matter looks the same right?

So your telling me this looks to be a diff of 4mm? Im not even a leprechaun and can tell that it isnt.


You linked to the definition of disingenuous. Where's the definition for the word you used, "disingenious"?

Also, I'm not sure what point you're trying to make by linking to a car that is wearing 18mm spacers:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showpos...68&postcount=3
__________________
'09 E92 M3: Space Gray, Black, Carbon Leather | ZTP 2MK ZPP 2MT 6FL | link 1 / link 2
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | 240J ECU flash | LCI Euro taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 02:41 PM   #21
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
75
Rep
6,775
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NYC

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aajami View Post
You linked to the definition of disingenuous. Where's the definition for the word you used, "disingenious"?

Also, I'm not sure what point you're trying to make by linking to a car that is wearing 18mm spacers:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showpos...68&postcount=3
Dude I am not gonna argue with you anymore..disingenious IS a word..both cars have are same tire sizes and spacers..just one is ZCP and one is 220s..so its an apples to apples comparison.showing that its not only the "face" of the wheel that matters but (wait for it )the ENTIRE wheel tire package that factors in to look and size.

We're done here.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 02:43 PM   #22
Richbot
Colonel
30
Rep
2,118
Posts

 
Drives: Jerez Black E90
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: STL

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibra1 View Post
Dude I am not gonna argue with you anymore..disingenious IS a word..
Just quoting to make sure this doesn't get deleted...
__________________
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:16 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST