BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications
 
GetBMWParts
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-17-2012, 08:19 PM   #23
Dave07997S
Colonel
 
Drives: 2013 BMW M3 ZCP Coupe
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Playa del Rey, CA

Posts: 2,450
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyallthetime View Post
thanks for info dave.. i noticed you have test pipes.. im assuming it is more quiet with just the catback installed?
Correct..

Dave
__________________
2013 M3 Coupe-MR/BLK ZCP, ACM test pipes, BPM Stg2 dev. tune and Megan catback, AFE Stg2. with C/F elbow
Previous rides: 2011 M3 Coupe-MR/Blk
2007 Porsche 997C2S Speed Yellow/Blk sport seats
2004 BMW M3 Imola/Blk
Dave07997S is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-18-2012, 04:10 PM   #24
Wild_Will
Private First Class
 
Wild_Will's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 335is
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: U.S. Army/Germany

Posts: 124
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to Wild_Will
From my Experience with Megan most of there products are sub par at best esp there suspension systems and so on.

I do not own a M3 yet but i had the pleasure of driving 1 with a Megan axel back set up and the quality was decent as well as the sound. I know from my hundreds of hours of research on this gen of M3 that this car deserves much better.

The fact that this exhaust retails for under 1k speaks for itself.
Wild_Will is offline   Germany
0
Reply With Quote
      02-18-2012, 04:16 PM   #25
crabman
Captain
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: WA

Posts: 669
iTrader: (0)

By speaks for itself you mean its one of the few that isn't hugely overpriced right?
__________________
2012 E92 Space Grey with fox red/black/black, comp, premium, DCT, premium sound, sirius, heated seats.
crabman is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-18-2012, 04:43 PM   #26
Wild_Will
Private First Class
 
Wild_Will's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 335is
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: U.S. Army/Germany

Posts: 124
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to Wild_Will
Yes you can say they are overpriced in a sense but you are paying for the quality and R&D and some times the name alone will add a premium. I just wouldn't put Megan racing in the same category as Akraprovic or Eisenmann.

The E92 M is a very special car and deserves special parts but thats just my opinion but everything is so expensive so i do understand your point of view.

But like they say you have to pay to play!!
Wild_Will is offline   Germany
0
Reply With Quote
      02-18-2012, 05:16 PM   #27
crabman
Captain
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: WA

Posts: 669
iTrader: (0)

Research and development involved in making a set of cans for this car is pretty much the same as any other. So are the costs of labor, materials and other factors. About the only thing that varies is the potential size of the market with which you can spread out your ball rolling costs.

If you would like to be amused do a search for the AP exhaust which I believe everyone knows at this point is exactly the same. Not sort of the same, not close, exactly the same. Made on the same jigs with the same equipment out of the same materials in the same factory but retailing at 1750. If you're keeping score thats 3 times what the exact same part with the Megan Racing name on it goes for. The amusing part is that the talk on those threads is of much higher quality than this one and yet the only difference is the name and the fact that it retails for three times as much. Must be all that extra research and development... lol
__________________
2012 E92 Space Grey with fox red/black/black, comp, premium, DCT, premium sound, sirius, heated seats.
crabman is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-19-2012, 12:44 PM   #28
e92Mjunky
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: New wife Alpine CF E92 M3
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Austin, TX

Posts: 272
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
From my Experience with Megan most of there products are sub par at best esp there suspension systems and so on.

I do not own a M3 yet but i had the pleasure of driving 1 with a Megan axel back set up and the quality was decent as well as the sound. I know from my hundreds of hours of research on this gen of M3 that this car deserves much better.

The fact that this exhaust retails for under 1k speaks for itself.
well said, for that price they are more than likely made in China or some sweat shop
as far as R/D...thinking outside the box and not copying other designs should be held in higher regard.
When Boost Logic designed the DRB Motosports exhausts for us, they looked at every design on the internet and found ways to improve flow and weight. When we first showed people the exhaust they all balked at the awkward design, however on the car people think it looks great in person and the function is spot on.(plus they are made by hand in Cali) It took them 100+ hours of going back and forth with their fabricator and dyno testing. Not trying to thread jack, just explaining our process with making a exhaust from scratch..
__________________

08' DCT CF Roof, nothing to fancy
custom magnaflow exhaust amd drop in filter
e92Mjunky is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-19-2012, 02:10 PM   #29
crabman
Captain
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: WA

Posts: 669
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92Mjunky View Post
well said, for that price they are more than likely made in China or some sweat shop
as far as R/D...thinking outside the box and not copying other designs should be held in higher regard.
When Boost Logic designed the DRB Motosports exhausts for us, they looked at every design on the internet and found ways to improve flow and weight. When we first showed people the exhaust they all balked at the awkward design, however on the car people think it looks great in person and the function is spot on.(plus they are made by hand in Cali) It took them 100+ hours of going back and forth with their fabricator and dyno testing. Not trying to thread jack, just explaining our process with making a exhaust from scratch..
First of all you have a stick in the fire which doesn't mean your opinions are without merit but its something I always consider when I read peoples comments. As to the Megan it is made in China like many others. When you think about it all your research and development, dyno time, materials, everything, would have been covered in how many exhausts at the 1k price point? I'll let you fill in the blank there because I'm curious to see if you're going to be honest. It isn't many and where I'm going is that if that number is more than a tiny fraction of your total production you are not in the exhaust business, you have a hobby.

One other thing I should be clear on, I am aware that some are built better than others. Some do have more research and development in them. These things cost real money. People need to make a living. I have been my own business for my entire life, I get it. What we have here though is a whole bunch of people who have been selling exhausts at a "lets not cut each others throat" price point instead of real value. That's what I really like about this exhaust, it puts the lie out there and makes everyone face up to it, the M3 community has been overpaying and by no small amount.
__________________
2012 E92 Space Grey with fox red/black/black, comp, premium, DCT, premium sound, sirius, heated seats.
crabman is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-19-2012, 02:53 PM   #30
Rekrul
Captain
 
Rekrul's Avatar
 
Drives: Space Gray e92 M3
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Purgatory

Posts: 783
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabman View Post
First of all you have a stick in the fire which doesn't mean your opinions are without merit but its something I always consider when I read peoples comments. As to the Megan it is made in China like many others. When you think about it all your research and development, dyno time, materials, everything, would have been covered in how many exhausts at the 1k price point? I'll let you fill in the blank there because I'm curious to see if you're going to be honest. It isn't many and where I'm going is that if that number is more than a tiny fraction of your total production you are not in the exhaust business, you have a hobby.

One other thing I should be clear on, I am aware that some are built better than others. Some do have more research and development in them. These things cost real money. People need to make a living. I have been my own business for my entire life, I get it. What we have here though is a whole bunch of people who have been selling exhausts at a "lets not cut each others throat" price point instead of real value. That's what I really like about this exhaust, it puts the lie out there and makes everyone face up to it, the M3 community has been overpaying and by no small amount.
While I agree with you for the most part. One cannot even compare this exhaust to say the Akrapovic exhaust. Now the Akra is ALOT more... but if you can afford it, I honestly think its worth it. Same goes with my Dinan mid pipe, it is clearly well made and far superior to a Topspeed X pipe. I guess buying second hand top of the line parts is probably the best way to go. I personally would not put a Megan exhaust on my M3, that being said I wouldn't put a Meistersheift exhaust on it either.

The same argument could be made with regard to a lot of things. Clothes being a prime example. Sure you could buy a nice suit from the Men's Warehouse.. it would be functional and it would look nice. But I'd wear a tailored Armani suit over a Men's Warehouse suit any day of the week. Now it is for me to decide if I want to shell out the extra dough. Saying it's overpriced is largely subjective. Some want the best and can tell what is the best, so they shell out the extra coin. Just like the Men's Warehouse suit, the Megan exhaust is functional and it looks nice. But there are subtle things, that some people find appealing. Sound, craftsmanship, etc.

You're driving a M3. Many people would argue it is overpriced and overrated. Why didn't you go buy a C6 vette or perhaps a 5.0 Mustang? Both perform as well. It is the subtle things, the complete package. This is why I bought my M3 and that is why I bought my Akrapovic exhaust.
Rekrul is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-19-2012, 03:47 PM   #31
crabman
Captain
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: WA

Posts: 669
iTrader: (0)

As I said, I am aware that there are better built pieces out there and that these things don't come free. I'm not against getting what you paid for, if that amounts to nothing more than a name and you are willing to pay that is your business and I have no issue with anyone going with their own groove. It's what we all do. Just don't tell me that these things are not hugely overpriced and expect that I'm going to buy into it. That dog wont hunt.
__________________
2012 E92 Space Grey with fox red/black/black, comp, premium, DCT, premium sound, sirius, heated seats.
crabman is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-19-2012, 03:55 PM   #32
Rekrul
Captain
 
Rekrul's Avatar
 
Drives: Space Gray e92 M3
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Purgatory

Posts: 783
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabman View Post
As I said, I am aware that there are better built pieces out there and that these things don't come free. I'm not against getting what you paid for, if that amounts to nothing more than a name and you are willing to pay that is your business and I have no issue with anyone going with their own groove. It's what we all do. Just don't tell me that these things are not hugely overpriced and expect that I'm going to buy into it. That dog wont hunt.
I'm paying for more than the name. There IS a difference between this and the Akra exhaust. There IS is a difference between a topspeed xpipe and a Dinan Xpipe. Things being overpriced is largely a subjective matter. I personally don't care what people do, it is their own prerogative. But this exhaust is not on the level of the Akrapovic exhaust objectively speaking. Where or not you are willing to shell out 4-6x the amount for that difference is really what it comes down to.
Rekrul is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-19-2012, 04:34 PM   #33
crabman
Captain
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: WA

Posts: 669
iTrader: (0)

I just got done saying that some exhausts were better built and that I'm aware of the difference. You don't need to explain your choices to me, they're yours and if you are good with them thats all that matters. No one is saying you should not get whatever you want and pay however much for it. Got nothing to do with me or anyone else. Nothing changes the facts though and that is that these exhausts are priced at drinking the cool-aid prices and that includes the Akra. That was and is my point. If you are ok with that then you and the overcharging vendor are happy. The deal was between you two and all is good in the world. Not my business and I don't care. Again, just don't try and tell me they are reasonably priced, they are not.
__________________
2012 E92 Space Grey with fox red/black/black, comp, premium, DCT, premium sound, sirius, heated seats.
crabman is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-19-2012, 06:17 PM   #34
Wild_Will
Private First Class
 
Wild_Will's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 335is
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: U.S. Army/Germany

Posts: 124
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to Wild_Will
The way i see it is if you can afford an M3 you can afford to Ball out on parts.
Wild_Will is offline   Germany
0
Reply With Quote
      02-19-2012, 06:39 PM   #35
crabman
Captain
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: WA

Posts: 669
iTrader: (0)

I could win the powerball and I still wouldn't be a baller, its not my gig. As to the parts I'm shopping exhausts myself and hence the activity here as I search the possibilities. And yes I will pay to get exactly what I want. I'm just not pretending that these things are anything other than ridiculously overpriced as I drink my cool-aid.
__________________
2012 E92 Space Grey with fox red/black/black, comp, premium, DCT, premium sound, sirius, heated seats.
crabman is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-19-2012, 08:40 PM   #36
Dave07997S
Colonel
 
Drives: 2013 BMW M3 ZCP Coupe
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Playa del Rey, CA

Posts: 2,450
iTrader: (1)

There is only so many ways to skin a cat. Very happy with my Megan exhaust and I've had experience with many exhausts in my ownership of 2 E46 M3s to a 07 997S to include, Borla, Supersprint, AWE, Fapspeed as well as Eisenmann.

You guys want to spend the big bucks out there for an exhaust to say you got "brand X", knock yourselfs out. I for one don't feel there is much difference that you will see. The Megan is actually a pretty good exhaust and the fact it copied the Agency Power exhaust doesn't bother me one bit. Who the hell looks under the car and "oohs an ahhs", he's got a Akrapovic...or a Eisenmann or insert any other brand."

This you got an "M3" so it deserves more...LOL, its a car, a nice one but still a car.

Dave
__________________
2013 M3 Coupe-MR/BLK ZCP, ACM test pipes, BPM Stg2 dev. tune and Megan catback, AFE Stg2. with C/F elbow
Previous rides: 2011 M3 Coupe-MR/Blk
2007 Porsche 997C2S Speed Yellow/Blk sport seats
2004 BMW M3 Imola/Blk
Dave07997S is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-19-2012, 08:50 PM   #37
Rekrul
Captain
 
Rekrul's Avatar
 
Drives: Space Gray e92 M3
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Purgatory

Posts: 783
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabman View Post
I could win the powerball and I still wouldn't be a baller, its not my gig. As to the parts I'm shopping exhausts myself and hence the activity here as I search the possibilities. And yes I will pay to get exactly what I want. I'm just not pretending that these things are anything other than ridiculously overpriced as I drink my cool-aid.
Out of curiosity, what exhaust will you be going with?
Rekrul is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-19-2012, 08:56 PM   #38
crabman
Captain
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: WA

Posts: 669
iTrader: (0)

They didn't copy the Agency Power exhaust Dave, it IS the AP exhaust with another name on it. Made from the same materials on the same line with the same equipment using the same robotic tig welds in the same factory. Thats the part that makes me laugh. With the AP name and the triple price tag the exhaust garners praise for its quality, sell the exact thing name with another name on it for one third of that and all of a sudden its low quality crap not befitting a car of the M3s caliber.

And yeah, this talk of being a baller and getting parts "befitting an M3" do nothing but make me laugh.
__________________
2012 E92 Space Grey with fox red/black/black, comp, premium, DCT, premium sound, sirius, heated seats.
crabman is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-19-2012, 09:13 PM   #39
Raptor251
ESS Dreaming
 
Raptor251's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011.5 e92 m3/Ford Raptor 6.2
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: San Diego

Posts: 870
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild_Will View Post
Yes you can say they are overpriced in a sense but you are paying for the quality and R&D and some times the name alone will add a premium. I just wouldn't put Megan racing in the same category as Akraprovic or Eisenmann.

The E92 M is a very special car and deserves special parts but thats just my opinion but everything is so expensive so i do understand your point of view.

But like they say you have to pay to play!!
Remember its still just a 3 series BMW
Raptor251 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-19-2012, 09:19 PM   #40
Dave07997S
Colonel
 
Drives: 2013 BMW M3 ZCP Coupe
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Playa del Rey, CA

Posts: 2,450
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabman View Post
They didn't copy the Agency Power exhaust Dave, it IS the AP exhaust with another name on it. Made from the same materials on the same line with the same equipment using the same robotic tig welds in the same factory. Thats the part that makes me laugh. With the AP name and the triple price tag the exhaust garners praise for its quality, sell the exact thing name with another name on it for one third of that and all of a sudden its low quality crap not befitting a car of the M3s caliber.

And yeah, this talk of being a baller and getting parts "befitting an M3" do nothing but make me laugh.
You know I knew this sorry for the error...

Dave
__________________
2013 M3 Coupe-MR/BLK ZCP, ACM test pipes, BPM Stg2 dev. tune and Megan catback, AFE Stg2. with C/F elbow
Previous rides: 2011 M3 Coupe-MR/Blk
2007 Porsche 997C2S Speed Yellow/Blk sport seats
2004 BMW M3 Imola/Blk
Dave07997S is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-19-2012, 09:55 PM   #41
crabman
Captain
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: WA

Posts: 669
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rekrul View Post
Out of curiosity, what exhaust will you be going with?
Good question and I wish I had an answer This is my daily driver car so (very) loud is off the list as well as anything that has drone at cruising speed. That knocks a fair lot of cans out of contention by itself. I will not be doing the mid section anytime soon if ever due to warranty concerns as my last bmw was a shop queen and a horrid ownership experience. So its slip on only. This puts the Akra evo out of contention although I like the sound. I don't like their slip on sound alone though so Akra is out altogether. I dislike the hanging scrotum look of the stock exhaust and any like it, which knocks off the m performance, dinan, etc. and is also why I don't do the OEM mod and call it a day. You have a whole passel of SS cans in the 1500 to 2k price point that are similar in quality of construction to the Megan here but those all sound to me more Nascar than F1 and I lean toward the latter. Bottom line is I'm not sure. Possibilities I'm still pondering are the Vanguard and some of the valved cans such as the upcoming Evolve piece.
__________________
2012 E92 Space Grey with fox red/black/black, comp, premium, DCT, premium sound, sirius, heated seats.
crabman is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-19-2012, 10:30 PM   #42
Wild_Will
Private First Class
 
Wild_Will's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 335is
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: U.S. Army/Germany

Posts: 124
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to Wild_Will
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave07997S View Post
There is only so many ways to skin a cat. Very happy with my Megan exhaust and I've had experience with many exhausts in my ownership of 2 E46 M3s to a 07 997S to include, Borla, Supersprint, AWE, Fapspeed as well as Eisenmann.

You guys want to spend the big bucks out there for an exhaust to say you got "brand X", knock yourselfs out. I for one don't feel there is much difference that you will see. The Megan is actually a pretty good exhaust and the fact it copied the Agency Power exhaust doesn't bother me one bit. Who the hell looks under the car and "oohs an ahhs", he's got a Akrapovic...or a Eisenmann or insert any other brand."

This you got an "M3" so it deserves more...LOL, its a car, a nice one but still a car.

Dave
I think its about the prestige and knowing you have a superior product in quality,design,sound that really sets most people off.

Like for example i have $3,000 Volk TE37's on my Civic and most people would think i am crazy for doing this. I just prefer it that way when i could have bought a set of Rota's and called it a day i didn't. I bought the forged,light weight wheel with the heritage and prestige behind it which is more gratifying. I will be honest i was very surprised Megan racing even made an exhuast for the M3 when i saw it in person. Ive seen nothing but mediocre stuff come from them the past few years but overall the quality n sound looked and sounded decent.

I just feel when you buy a car such as the M3 which was designed through engineering perfection that it deserves the best and perhaps most would agree. I have scanned this site for almost 2 years now and 9 out of 10 M's feature almost 10k in brake and wheel upgrades alone so whats another few k for an exhuast system lol.
Wild_Will is offline   Germany
0
Reply With Quote
      02-19-2012, 10:48 PM   #43
Rekrul
Captain
 
Rekrul's Avatar
 
Drives: Space Gray e92 M3
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Purgatory

Posts: 783
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabman View Post
Good question and I wish I had an answer This is my daily driver car so (very) loud is off the list as well as anything that has drone at cruising speed. That knocks a fair lot of cans out of contention by itself. I will not be doing the mid section anytime soon if ever due to warranty concerns as my last bmw was a shop queen and a horrid ownership experience. So its slip on only. This puts the Akra evo out of contention although I like the sound. I don't like their slip on sound alone though so Akra is out altogether. I dislike the hanging scrotum look of the stock exhaust and any like it, which knocks off the m performance, dinan, etc. and is also why I don't do the OEM mod and call it a day. You have a whole passel of SS cans in the 1500 to 2k price point that are similar in quality of construction to the Megan here but those all sound to me more Nascar than F1 and I lean toward the latter. Bottom line is I'm not sure. Possibilities I'm still pondering are the Vanguard and some of the valved cans such as the upcoming Evolve piece.
I see. Well the only 3 that dont drone are Akra, Dinan, and M performance. As you stated the latter two hang like scrotums lol.. not to mention the Dinan only has one functional tip which to me looks odd. I guess the eisenmann or gintani sport would also be options, but you can pick up a used AKRA (which is titanium) for a little more than the above two new. Im huge fan.

Here are some sound clips both slip on only and mated with the Dinan X pipe

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showpos...0&postcount=16

Did I spend 3500 + 2800? No.
Rekrul is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-20-2012, 03:49 AM   #44
Dave07997S
Colonel
 
Drives: 2013 BMW M3 ZCP Coupe
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Playa del Rey, CA

Posts: 2,450
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Like for example i have $3,000 Volk TE37's on my Civic and most people would think i am crazy for doing this
You know what they are right, you are crazy for spending $3k for wheels on a 06 Civic.

Listen, your money...the Megan exhaust is the Agency Power just re-named. I used to be that way and when I add up the money I burned through because of this..well lets just say I learned my lesson.

LOL, your wheels are almost as much as your car.

Dave
__________________
2013 M3 Coupe-MR/BLK ZCP, ACM test pipes, BPM Stg2 dev. tune and Megan catback, AFE Stg2. with C/F elbow
Previous rides: 2011 M3 Coupe-MR/Blk
2007 Porsche 997C2S Speed Yellow/Blk sport seats
2004 BMW M3 Imola/Blk
Dave07997S is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:51 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST