BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

Evolve Automotive

02-07-2012, 10:45 PM   #1
BMWJones
Private

Drives: E92 M3 Space Gray 6/MT

Post Dinan Mods

I'm thinking about doing some Dinan mods to my new E 92 M3 Space Gray 6MT, specifically:

Free Flow Exhaust
High Flow Carbon Fiber Intake
Performance Engine Software
Underdrive Pulley Kit
Stage 3 Suspension
Brembo 6 Piston front Big Brake Kit 380MM
Brembo 4 Piston rear Big Brake Kit 380MM
Carbon Fiber Strut brace
along with some wheels and tires...still thinking about this one.

Should I do the 4.10? I read mixed reviews here on BP

I live in So Cal, any suggestions?

PS. The reason I'm choosing Dinan is because of the warranty, I've already modded out an E46 and got killed when I sold it.

Thanks, BMWJ
BMWJones is offline   United_States
      02-07-2012, 11:01 PM   #2
dcstep
Brigadier General

Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [4.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWJones View Post
I'm thinking about doing some Dinan mods to my new E 92 M3 Space Gray 6MT, specifically:

Free Flow Exhaust
High Flow Carbon Fiber Intake
Performance Engine Software
Underdrive Pulley Kit
Stage 3 Suspension
Brembo 6 Piston front Big Brake Kit 380MM
Brembo 4 Piston rear Big Brake Kit 380MM
Carbon Fiber Strut brace
along with some wheels and tires...still thinking about this one.

Should I do the 4.10? I read mixed reviews here on BP

I live in So Cal, any suggestions?

PS. The reason I'm choosing Dinan is because of the warranty, I've already modded out an E46 and got killed when I sold it.

Thanks, BMWJ
I've got the Dinan throttle bodies, Stage II suspension and 4.10 FD. I've got the AA exhaust and a filter without the Dinan intake kit.

Carefully read the FD reviews. They're saying that it will not decrease 1/4 mile times and that's probably true. That only matters if you drag race from a standing start. However, it'll make the 6MT a faster autocross car and give it more grunt around town in middle gears. It'll be faster in a rolling start street race, assuming you know how to drive. It's a great mod.

Dave
      02-07-2012, 11:08 PM   #3
BMWJones
Private

Thanks for the info, so many things to consider...I'm definitely not a drag racer, pure acceleration is what I want.
      02-07-2012, 11:44 PM   #4
j2m
Colonel

Drives: '11 E92 M3 DCT

Garage List
2011 BMW E92 M3  [5.00]
In July 2011 I bought a new E92 335XI (traded in on M3 Jan 1, 2012) I spent several months researching the best MODs for my car. I also went with Dinan for warranty and quality. I am willing to pay a premium as long as I get the best quality with no hassle. That being said I spent over $14,000 (at my BMW dealership) on Dinan Mods including install.
I bought 5 things:
1. Dinan Stage 2 Suspension $1,354 + $1,312 (Install)
2. Dinan Exhaust $1,999 + $175 (Install)
3. Dinan HRE P40S $5,800 + $2,568 (tires, & install)
4. Dinan Pedals $209
5. Dinan 11MM Spacers $299
I started having problems from day 1 with the wheels, all 4 wheel were rubbing. The front wheel ended up rubbing a hole in the wheel well. About 1 month, after install, the rear end of the car started sagging and raising the front end of my car up about 1/2" and the left side of my car was sitting about 1/2" higher then the right. The spacers that Dinan suggested (due to the rear wheels were too tucked in) were causing a wobble in my rear wheel, my dealer said the spacers were faulty. Black tips on the exhaust were different color black, one flat and one gloss. BUT the pedals worked perfectly.
- Dinan promised to send new rear springs, but after 3 months waiting they never did. They refused to address the front end of the car being un-even.
- My dealer refunded the $299 for spacers
- Dinan has agreed to exchange exhaust (will believe when I see it)
- Dinan has refused to accept responsibility for the wheels rubbing, they said it's a fluke. Keep in mind that HRE builds these wheels according to Dinan specs.

So after 3 months of dealing with the warranty department at Dinan, they informed me that I could not deal with them directly and needed to go through my dealer. Keep in mind that during my decision making process (regarding specs and expectations) I spoke directly with the sales rep at Dinan. I never spoke with my dealer other than to place the order.
That being said, I can highly recommend Dinan Pedals but would never let any other Dinan component touch my M3. 4 of the 5 products I ordered were faulty, that is a FAIL in my book. Dinan's customer service is horrible, sometimes took them weeks to respond, many times I was just ignored. When I did get a response it was short and offered no solutions. That is not acceptable.
Do yourself a favor and go to a reputable tuner, like IND. They offer HRE, Brembo... and they give a sh#t!

11' E92 M3 Space Grey | DCT | ESS VT2- 625 | Gintani Race (valved) + Quad Res Catless X-Pipe | KW Sleeve's | GC Camber Plates|Arkym Diffuser | Vorsteiner VRS Lip | P3 Boost Guage | Stud Conversion
PHOTO's: Click Here ESS VT2 625 PHOTOS: Click Here
j2m is offline   Canada
      02-08-2012, 12:14 AM   #5
BMWJones
Private

Wink

Wow...that's the worst story ever. I've only heard good things about IND, guess I should check them out. I'm sorry that you had to go through such a hassle, thanks for taking the time to let me know about your experience.

Hopefully, you'll get it hammered out and get back on the road!

BMWJ
      02-08-2012, 09:29 AM   #6
///M Ryder
Grown Azz Man

Drives: 2011.5 Dinan ///M3

You see the mods I have in my signature so I say go for it......I have nothing but good things to say about Dinan and the mods I have. As for the wheels and brakes, I would go through a vendor unless you are chasing a 20 point Dinan car.........Phil
2011.5 E92 Dinan///M3: SSII DCT- Comp, Prem 2, and Conv Pkg, Heated Seats, Enhanced Prem Sound, Edition Grills/Gills, M Performance Steering Wheel, Carbon Fiber Performance Spoiler, BMW Pedals, Dinan Exhaust, Dinan X-Pipe, Dinan Carbon Fiber Intake, Dinan Software Tune, Dinan DCT Tune, Dinan Pulley Kit, Dinan CH-R Wheels, Dinan Carbon Fiber Strut Tower Braces, Arkym Lip, IND M5 Mirror Caps, Carbon Reflectors, Lux H8 V3, Brembo 365mm BBK
///M Ryder is offline   United_States
      02-08-2012, 09:39 AM   #7
Poofyo101
Major

Drives: e92 ///M3

Garage List
1988 BMW M3  [0.00]
1988 BMW M3  [0.00]
2012 BMW M3  [0.00]
1990 BMW M3  [0.00]
People do know that the dinan and BMW are no longer affiliated......
The warranty dinan offers is from DINAN and not covered by BMW.
Go with better aftermarket parts.
      02-08-2012, 10:22 AM   #8
KennyPowers
Brigadier General

Drives: .....

I have never considered dinan due to the incredibly high cost for equal or worse quality parts compared to competing vendors and also their reputation for poor customer service.

You can get equal or higher quality parts for literally half the cost of parts from dinan.

I did run a dinan muffler on my car for a while which I liked, but bought it used for half the new price.

M359 ZCP wheels w/ AD08R / OEM Competition Package Suspension Retrofit / LCI Taillights
      02-08-2012, 10:26 AM   #9
dcstep
Brigadier General

Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [4.00]
My experience with Dinan warranty was good. The first set of throttle bodies they sent were faulty and they replaced those quickly and worked well with the dealer. It took an extra week to get straightened out, but I was pleased with the response.

My exhaust is Active Autowerks. At BMW autocrosses people are always saying things like, "That's the best sounding BMW that I've ever heard" and that includes E92 owners with the Dinan exhaust installed. I prefer the stainless steel look of the AA.

My springs are now working on their fourth year with no sag. The car performs very well and the stance was even in front and in back.

I highly recommend the Apex ARC-8 wheels. I've got the 10x18" with 25 offset as my summer set up. They're light, good looking and relatively inexpensive.

Dave
      02-08-2012, 10:26 AM   #10
///M Ryder
Grown Azz Man

Drives: 2011.5 Dinan ///M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SehrSchnell View Post
Retarded statement. Dinan was never directly affiliated with BMW - ever. They do collaborate on certain racing projects here in the US though.

The Dinan warranty was always from Dinan - obviously.
+2.....and why does this always rear it's head? Everyone has a choice and for me the warranty support was not the only deciding factor. If you feel that other manufacturers offer the same support at a better price point.....go for it.....Phil
2011.5 E92 Dinan///M3: SSII DCT- Comp, Prem 2, and Conv Pkg, Heated Seats, Enhanced Prem Sound, Edition Grills/Gills, M Performance Steering Wheel, Carbon Fiber Performance Spoiler, BMW Pedals, Dinan Exhaust, Dinan X-Pipe, Dinan Carbon Fiber Intake, Dinan Software Tune, Dinan DCT Tune, Dinan Pulley Kit, Dinan CH-R Wheels, Dinan Carbon Fiber Strut Tower Braces, Arkym Lip, IND M5 Mirror Caps, Carbon Reflectors, Lux H8 V3, Brembo 365mm BBK
///M Ryder is offline   United_States
      02-08-2012, 03:02 PM   #11
BMWJones
Private

This is why I posted my thoughts, thanks everybody! I will keep you in the loop with my choices and some pics when I'm finished.

BMWJ
      02-08-2012, 03:20 PM   #12
Jbook
Major

Drives: '11 ESS E90 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW E90 M3  [4.72]
I have the Dinan intake, underdrive pulley, stage 1 suspension, and pedals with no problems and nothing but and
ESS VT2-625 w/ DCT Software | Stack Gauges | 19" BBS FI | Dinan Stg 2 Suspension, CF Strut Braces, & Pedals | Fire Orange Brembo GT 380 F&R | Akrapovic Evolution | Vorsteiner GTS-V Lip, CF Type II Diffuser, & White Piped Floormats | Platte Forme CF Side Skirt Extensions | BMW Performance Seats, CF Spoiler, CF Mirror Covers w/ M5 Paint Scheme, & Performance Steering Wheel w/ Custom White Stripe
      02-08-2012, 07:35 PM   #13
Radiation Joe
Veni Vidi Vici

Drives: '11 JB/BBe-6sp-e90

Garage List
2011 e90 M3-Sold  [4.25]
2003 RS6 - Sold  [0.00]
2009 e90 M3 - Gone  [0.00]
2003 M3 SOLD  [0.00]
old 2002  [5.00]
Oh jeeze. Another Dinan bash fest.

Dinan customers service has been outstanding. Any normal person who has dealt with them will attest to that. When BMWNA was denying the DCT lag issue existed, my Dinan rep had my dealer reload the Dinan software (on Dinan's dime). Dinan had already incorporated BMW's software fix for the DCT. BMWNA denied there was a problem and didn't offer to fix it even after they had developed the proper software.

Dinan compliment of stuff plus PF rotors and RG63s. Enough for now.
Why, yes. I am an abrasive bastard.
Radiation Joe is offline   United_States
      02-08-2012, 08:22 PM   #14
GIdriver
Major

Drives: 2011 SG/FR E90 M3 DCT

Dinan pulley owner here, no complaints. Considered the exhaust and x-pipe, but I think I'm gonna go with the Akra Evo along with the ESS Akra tune.

GIdriver is offline   United_States
      02-08-2012, 10:52 PM   #15
In Extremis
Jordan C

Drives: 09 MR E92 M3, 65 GTO

My last car had Dinan stage 3 suspension, intake, pulley and tune. I couldn't of been happier with my Dinan stuff, and I always found their customer service to be excellent. They sent me a copy of my invoice a year after a sale when I needed it once and even credited my account for a sale price without me asking. I just opened my email one day and $300 had ben returned to my credit card from "Dinan Engineering." I find it very surprising to hear anything negative about them, but it's certainly possible.

I went with a different intake this time. I feel the Macht Schnell intake is as good as the Dinan for half the price, just ugly in comparison. But it matches the rest of my engine bay nicely and comes with scoops if you buy stage 2.

The tune is on the conservative side, which is good. I'd choose it again but going for more power now with PROcede/methanol. I would definitely go for a Dinan diff upgrade, it's one of my next mods. And I've had the dinan pulley my last and current M. I've read it is the most aggressive though, something to maybe consider if you do a lot of driving in extremely hot weather.
Melbourne Red E92 M3 DCT Sparco CF/Alcantara DTM Seats.KW3 Coilovers.Apex Wheels.OEM Performance Spoiler with CRT Theme & Splitters.Turner Subframe Mounts.Vorshlag Camber Plates.RD Sway Bars.AD08s 265/295.15 lb. Braille Battery.Catless Gintani Race.ESS Tune.Dinan Pulley.MS2 Intake.100 Octane Mix.Schroth Harnesses.Challenge Harness Bar in MR.Challenge Toe Link.Krics R40.Turner Studs/Pedals.SS Lines.Rear Seat Delete & more I can't remember
In Extremis is offline   United_States
      02-09-2012, 12:16 AM   #16
frankzlin79
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 2013 Nissan GT-R

I have a lot of Dinan parts as well. I'm very happy with choices even though Dinan parts are very expensive. For me, it was the fact that Dinan's warranty is very good. It also helps that my Dinan dealer is housed inside the BMW dealership and work ith each other on a daily basis. So if there are any issues, both are there to communicate with each other. So I paid more for piece of mind.
frankzlin79 is offline   United_States