BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques
 
OneEighty
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-02-2010, 03:00 PM   #23
niterider
Proove It!
14
Rep
633
Posts

 
Drives: Gintani Supercharged
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: City of Angels

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CATCH_M3 View Post
any issues with using my motorcycle helmet for the track? Thanks!
I did this for my first couple of track days just so I could check out other peoples helmets at the track and kind of find out what works. Then finally went with something affordable that does the job, I picked up a pyrotec. I wouldnt jump into a super expensive helmet right off the back. I would try like a bell or pyrotec first (they are affordable helmets that fit and feel nice, a bit heavy but work) with the correct sa approval u need. This way u can wear this while u track and check out other peoples helmets. Once u research enough and figure out what style and brand u end up liking, u save up and invest in exactly what u want. I did this a few years back and it is now time for the upgrade.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2010, 02:06 PM   #24
gr8000
Major
gr8000's Avatar
Greece
22
Rep
1,172
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3 - DCT
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Athens, Greece

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to gr8000
Is anyone familiar with Zamp?

Looks like their RZ51 and RZ31 are one of the lightest and most affordable carbon kevlar helmets out there. Any feedback on the company and on the specific helmets?

Also, shall I go full or half face? Use is for the M3 exclusively.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2010, 04:07 PM   #25
enricob
First Lieutenant
enricob's Avatar
11
Rep
340
Posts

 
Drives: Bmw M3 e92
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Italy

iTrader: (0)

this is mine

Appreciate 0
      02-18-2010, 09:51 AM   #26
drivendriver
Second Lieutenant
drivendriver's Avatar
2
Rep
269
Posts

 
Drives: 2010 E83 X3
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Alexandria, VA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trier Germany View Post
Thanks for the Info. I'm leaning towards Arai, Sparco and OMP. I just have to see which one best suits my needs!
Whatever brand you pick, you should get a helmet with a wide viewport. It will give you better situation awareness, and make you feel less claustrophobic. And, in a closed car, there is no reason to get a helmet with a narrow viewport.

I hesitated between the GP5-W and a slightly cheaper HJC helmet, and went with the GP5-W because it felt more comfortable. Before that I had an Arai karting helmet. I guess I have an Arai head. But Bell, Sparco and OMP make cheaper helmets that might work just fine for you.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2010, 02:22 PM   #27
STALKER
Brigadier General
50
Rep
3,662
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 E90 M3, 991 C4S, 997 GT3
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Toronto, ON

iTrader: (5)

This is what I use.
http://www.saferacer.com/bell-m4-pro...?productid=361
Very happy with it.
__________________

2008 AW/FR E90 M3-SOLD
2013 991 C4S-SOLD
2010 GT3
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2012, 08:44 AM   #28
MSPORTWORLD
Major
MSPORTWORLD's Avatar
United_States
32
Rep
1,216
Posts

 
Drives: '11 M3 MW/FR - '12 M3 FO/SC
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: California

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
I've been using a full face motorcycle helmet for the longest time.

Just started using a Simpson Diamondback and so far so good! No real issues with visibility and it's super comfortable.
Attached Images
 
__________________
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2012, 01:14 AM   #29
llis
octane chick
llis's Avatar
United_States
23
Rep
1,133
Posts

 
Drives: Ms
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Colorado

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2003 BMW M5  [0.00]
2002 BMW 530i (fs)  [0.00]
2013 BMW M3  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CATCH_M3
any issues with using my motorcycle helmet for the track? Thanks!
For DE types of things, motorcycle helmets are okay for all the clubs I've run with (5). Snell 2005 or 2010. But for racing stuff, the SA rating is likely required. The main difference as I understand it is fire resistance. Check with the club rules for the types of events you're going after.

I also agree w the comment above about fit. You cannot order a helmet online and expect it to fit unless you've already tried it out in that exact size. I like my Arai helmet's fit, but I had to try some 15 helmets before I found it.
__________________

2013 E92 ///M3 ZCP 6MT Speed Yellow 2003 E39 ///M5
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2012, 01:49 AM   #30
schnell325
Bored at work....
schnell325's Avatar
Canada
43
Rep
3,875
Posts

 
Drives: '08 M3,'11 335xi
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: BC

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkyplaynazn View Post
I've been using a full face motorcycle helmet for the longest time.

Just started using a Simpson Diamondback and so far so good! No real issues with visibility and it's super comfortable.

Sweet!!
__________________
'08 M3: AA G2L3, Catless X-Pipe & Sig Series Rear. AP rods. TC Kline EDC Coil Overs. MRF Alum Sub Frame Bushings. TMS Delrin Diff'l Bushings. BFI Motor Mounts. Recaro PP. BMW Perf Steering Wheel. P3 Gauge. PS Overflow Kit. APEX ARC-8 18"x9.5"/10.5". Conti Slicks 275/35F 305/30R. Stoptech Pads/SS Lines. Cantrell Brake Ducts.
http://5252motorsports.blogspot.ca/2...3-sleeper.html
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2012, 02:01 AM   #31
advanced101
Private
0
Rep
82
Posts

 
Drives: With the Force
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Houston

iTrader: (1)

http://www.ompamerica.com/outlet/helmets/sc728/

Just picked one up, black. It is in their outlet, last version, half price. If they have one in your size it is an amazing deal.

Lots of good deals in their outlet section for last years gear.
__________________
Volk | Akra | HR

Last edited by advanced101; 02-02-2012 at 02:09 AM.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2012, 11:47 AM   #32
SchnellM3
Digger
SchnellM3's Avatar
United_States
56
Rep
2,616
Posts

 
Drives: 03 E46 M3, 09 E92 M3, 09 X6 50
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Pa

iTrader: (5)

Garage List
I just ordered a Stilo ST4 Wide from HMS with the electronics, Hydration System, HANs posts and a Iridium replacement sheild. Can't wait for it to come in
__________________
2009 E92 M3 /// Melbourne Red /// Fox Red /// M DKG

Full Innotech Exhaust - DINAN Intake - IND Engine Bay Appearance - IND Hand Stitched Boot Covers - and much more....
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2012, 02:09 PM   #33
disapr
drop a gear and...
United_States
26
Rep
961
Posts

 
Drives: 2010 M3
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Houston, TX

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchnellM3 View Post
I just ordered a Stilo ST4 Wide from HMS with the electronics, Hydration System, HANs posts and a Iridium replacement sheild. Can't wait for it to come in
Hope you like yours
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=607174

I have the Arai GP-6 and it really couldn't get any better. I have ChatterBox electronics installed and tucked away so when someone else gets in the car I can just plug up and go.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2012, 08:54 PM   #34
SchnellM3
Digger
SchnellM3's Avatar
United_States
56
Rep
2,616
Posts

 
Drives: 03 E46 M3, 09 E92 M3, 09 X6 50
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Pa

iTrader: (5)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by disapr View Post
Hope you like yours
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=607174

I have the Arai GP-6 and it really couldn't get any better. I have ChatterBox electronics installed and tucked away so when someone else gets in the car I can just plug up and go.
Interesting... I've talked with a couple friends who are track junkies and they all were swearing by the Stilo. Unfortunately they all live hours away and I don't get to see them often so I've never had the chance to get to try one on, also being where I'm located we don't have any dealers around here for anything. So I'm stuck with purchasing everything from pictures and measurements.

I knew the Ear Muffs were passive noise cancelling but figured since they weren't attached over your head like some of my old aviation headsets that would clamp down with a lot of force it wouldn't be as big of a deal, since they just rest there.. That is one thing I hated about all those headsets was the pressure they put on my head and digging in my glasses it gave me a headache on long flights, until I made the switch to the BOSE...

Hopefully I didn't just wast a ton of $$$$ Do you re-call what the time frame was until they completed yours? I ordered mine about a week and a half ago but still haven't herd anything about it being shipped...
__________________
2009 E92 M3 /// Melbourne Red /// Fox Red /// M DKG

Full Innotech Exhaust - DINAN Intake - IND Engine Bay Appearance - IND Hand Stitched Boot Covers - and much more....
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 01:23 AM   #35
yyoo
Private First Class
3
Rep
191
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 DCT
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchnellM3 View Post
Interesting... I've talked with a couple friends who are track junkies and they all were swearing by the Stilo. Unfortunately they all live hours away and I don't get to see them often so I've never had the chance to get to try one on, also being where I'm located we don't have any dealers around here for anything. So I'm stuck with purchasing everything from pictures and measurements.

I knew the Ear Muffs were passive noise cancelling but figured since they weren't attached over your head like some of my old aviation headsets that would clamp down with a lot of force it wouldn't be as big of a deal, since they just rest there.. That is one thing I hated about all those headsets was the pressure they put on my head and digging in my glasses it gave me a headache on long flights, until I made the switch to the BOSE...

Hopefully I didn't just wast a ton of $$$$ Do you re-call what the time frame was until they completed yours? I ordered mine about a week and a half ago but still haven't herd anything about it being shipped...
I just got a Stilo as well. Have three track days in them. The ear muffs are very comfortable. I'm sensitive to any pressure on my head, and the ear muffs don't really exert any.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 01:32 AM   #36
disapr
drop a gear and...
United_States
26
Rep
961
Posts

 
Drives: 2010 M3
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Houston, TX

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchnellM3 View Post
Interesting... I've talked with a couple friends who are track junkies and they all were swearing by the Stilo. Unfortunately they all live hours away and I don't get to see them often so I've never had the chance to get to try one on, also being where I'm located we don't have any dealers around here for anything. So I'm stuck with purchasing everything from pictures and measurements.

I knew the Ear Muffs were passive noise cancelling but figured since they weren't attached over your head like some of my old aviation headsets that would clamp down with a lot of force it wouldn't be as big of a deal, since they just rest there.. That is one thing I hated about all those headsets was the pressure they put on my head and digging in my glasses it gave me a headache on long flights, until I made the switch to the BOSE...

Hopefully I didn't just wast a ton of $$$$ Do you re-call what the time frame was until they completed yours? I ordered mine about a week and a half ago but still haven't herd anything about it being shipped...

I ordered my Stilo through a reseller that bought from HMS so they shipped it out the next day. I was able to return it less a restocking fee though. I'd suggest going with the Arai if you can. If not the Stilo will provide protection and that is the main goal.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 08:22 AM   #37
LiM3y
Major
LiM3y's Avatar
United Kingdom
18
Rep
1,254
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 E90 M3
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: CT

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trier Germany View Post
If you Track in the U.S. you have to have an SA-2005 rating or above!
The SA2005 refers to the year that that spec of protection was defined by the Snell Foundation (http://www.smf.org/). I believe they specs are updated every 5 years, and a helmets certification lasts for 7 years. Whether organizations/clubs allow 7 years or 5 years differs, some people think the certificate only lasts until the next certification is published. Anyway, a Snell SA2005 helmet will have its certificate expire in 2012 and will no longer be accepted by a (reputable) organization after that. If you are buying a helmet now, you need an SA2010 certified helmet - this you will be able to use at any event, whereas a cheaper M2010 helmet might be rejected.

What the Snell certification does is set a minimum safety standard for helmet protection. SA helmets have a degree of fire resistance that motorcycle helmets don't. If the helmet passes this spec, it is considered safe, whether it cost $50, $500 or $1000. In most cases, the extra cost is for materials used, finish and the brand of helmet - a $700 helmet will offer little more protection than a $250 helmet, but it will have a lighter shell, better lining, better ventilation and better visor material/mechanism. The weight will make a difference in a 3 hour endurance race where you are pulling high-g's in corners, but unless you have a pencil neck, not much in a 20-25 track session in a stock/lightly modded M3 without a harness where your whole body is essentially moving about. In a harness, your body is strapped in, so there is no "compensation" to reduce the amount your head moves about, so weight becomes more important. It is all about you wallet and your comfort and your acceptable ratio between the two.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 10:42 AM   #38
SchnellM3
Digger
SchnellM3's Avatar
United_States
56
Rep
2,616
Posts

 
Drives: 03 E46 M3, 09 E92 M3, 09 X6 50
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Pa

iTrader: (5)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by yyoo View Post
I just got a Stilo as well. Have three track days in them. The ear muffs are very comfortable. I'm sensitive to any pressure on my head, and the ear muffs don't really exert any.
Great to hear! That's exactly what I was thinking and hoping would be the case since they're in a fixed posistion. I'm thinking everything will check out when I get it. I've read a lot more good reviews on them than bad, and with the options you can get already installed it seemed like the way to go.

My plan is to get it painted along with the Hans I got I'm thinking of some sort of M Power scheme that flows on both of them when I'm wearing them, but leaving some of the Carbon Fiber Exposed
__________________
2009 E92 M3 /// Melbourne Red /// Fox Red /// M DKG

Full Innotech Exhaust - DINAN Intake - IND Engine Bay Appearance - IND Hand Stitched Boot Covers - and much more....
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 11:59 AM   #39
swartzentruber
Captain
United_States
8
Rep
602
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E90 M3
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Chicago NW suburbs, IL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiM3y View Post
The SA2005 refers to the year that that spec of protection was defined by the Snell Foundation (http://www.smf.org/). I believe they specs are updated every 5 years, and a helmets certification lasts for 7 years. Whether organizations/clubs allow 7 years or 5 years differs, some people think the certificate only lasts until the next certification is published. Anyway, a Snell SA2005 helmet will have its certificate expire in 2012 and will no longer be accepted by a (reputable) organization after that.
That's not the way it works for my BMWCCA club, and I think they follow national BWMCCA standards pretty rigidly. It is a good point for anyone buying an 05 that it's not usable for nearly as long as a 10. Our club's standard is to allow usage for one season past when the helmet becomes 2 generations old. In other words, you could still use a SA2000 until the end of the 2011 season (1 year past the 2010 generation), so if you buy a SA2005 right now, you'll be able to use it through the end of the 2016 season. If you are just starting and unsure if you'll stick with it, a half priced SA2005 might be the way to go, but if you are pretty serious, you might as well buy a 2010, because you'll get twice as long of usage.
__________________
2011 Jerez Black/Fox Red E90 M3 DCT, ZCP, ZCV, ZCW, ZP2, BMW Apps
2004 VW R32 (track car)
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 01:24 PM   #40
stefan
Colonel
stefan's Avatar
Canada
29
Rep
2,145
Posts

 
Drives: E92M3
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Calgary

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
1999 VF BMW M3  [5.00]
2001 BMW M5  [0.00]
2008 135i  [5.00]
2003 M3  [3.10]
2011.75 BMW M3  [4.17]
2009 STi  [3.83]
Eh I just bought a fullface motorcycle helmet that was Snell approved when it was on sale for $80. It's an SJC. I'm relatively short though and don't have a sunroof so head clearance isn't a huge issue.
__________________
///M Power - 2011.75 LMB M3 6MT (fuelly)
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 01:30 PM   #41
LiM3y
Major
LiM3y's Avatar
United Kingdom
18
Rep
1,254
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 E90 M3
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: CT

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swartzentruber View Post
That's not the way it works for my BMWCCA club, and I think they follow national BWMCCA standards pretty rigidly. It is a good point for anyone buying an 05 that it's not usable for nearly as long as a 10. Our club's standard is to allow usage for one season past when the helmet becomes 2 generations old. In other words, you could still use a SA2000 until the end of the 2011 season (1 year past the 2010 generation), so if you buy a SA2005 right now, you'll be able to use it through the end of the 2016 season. If you are just starting and unsure if you'll stick with it, a half priced SA2005 might be the way to go, but if you are pretty serious, you might as well buy a 2010, because you'll get twice as long of usage.
Good point - one has to check with each club/organization about standards. This will be in the FAQ and technical sections associated with booking time at an event.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2012, 11:30 AM   #42
Checkcaptain
Captain
Germany
40
Rep
995
Posts

 
Drives: BMW M3 E92
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Germany

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via MSN to Checkcaptain Send a message via Skype™ to Checkcaptain
Bell HP3 Carbon with HANS:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/40/p1070549ly.jpg/
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2012, 01:30 AM   #43
Richard@M-World
Richard@M-World's Avatar
United_States
25
Rep
683
Posts

 
Drives: NASA TTA #92 M3
Join Date: May 2011
Location: TX/IL

iTrader: (0)

Here's OMP's Grand Prix HANS helmet which many of my customers use. I also use it myself. Light-weight composite shell. Both SNELL 2005 and 2010 versions available.

• Narrow visor with high-precision adjustment mechanism that makes it fit very closely to the shell.
• Kevlar trimmed strap closure for greater safety and durability.
• 3 vents on the chin.
• 3 adjustable air vents on the shell.
• 3 rear vent holes.
• Hole to insert dringking straw.
• Removable cheek paddings (can be purchased separately also in larger or smaller sizes).
• Complete with HANS® safety device clips (replaceable for Hibryd® clips ).

__________________
Authorized AiM Dealer - Solo/Solo DL | SmartyCam HD | www.m-world.us
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 10:58 PM   #44
SchnellM3
Digger
SchnellM3's Avatar
United_States
56
Rep
2,616
Posts

 
Drives: 03 E46 M3, 09 E92 M3, 09 X6 50
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Pa

iTrader: (5)

Garage List
UPS just dropped this off today


IMG-20120207-00153 by SchnellM3, on Flickr

Have to say for not getting the full Carbon Fiber version its still a lot lighter than I expected, I can't imagine how light the other one is. Very happy with the choice

Only cons for me are that the visor doesn't open very far like on my Shoei so its a little tougher for me to get my glasses on, and the chin strap will need some type of covering....
__________________
2009 E92 M3 /// Melbourne Red /// Fox Red /// M DKG

Full Innotech Exhaust - DINAN Intake - IND Engine Bay Appearance - IND Hand Stitched Boot Covers - and much more....
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:17 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST