BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques
 
GetBMWParts
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-26-2012, 04:40 PM   #1
RickyBobby
Lieutenant
RickyBobby's Avatar
14
Rep
518
Posts

 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: NorCal

iTrader: (2)

Wheel bearings

Has anyone who tracks their cars replaced their wheel hubs/bearings yet?
Ive been thinking a lot a out this lately due to the knockback that I am getting on my stoptechs. I was going to put in knockback springs but decided to give the folks at Zechhausen and Turner a call and they both suggested new bearings. This actually sounds reasonable after 3 track seasons, but I'm hesitant because I've changed bearings on other cars with no improvement.
Am I the only one who has reached this milestone?

Last edited by RickyBobby; 01-26-2012 at 10:41 PM.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2012, 05:12 PM   #2
Gearhead999s
Major General
Gearhead999s's Avatar
93
Rep
6,814
Posts

 
Drives: F25 2.8d(wifes)F82 M4
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyBobby View Post
Has anyone who tracks their cars replaced their wheel hubs/bearings yet?
Ive been thinking a lot a out this lately due to the knockback that I am getting on my stoptechs. I was going to put in knockback springs but decided to give the folks at Zechhausen and turner a call They both suggested new bearings. This actually sounds reasonable after 3 track seasons, but I\'m hesitant because I\'ve changed bearings on other cars with no improvement.
Am I the only one who has reached this milestone?
I replaced my bearings by getting a new car


I have issues on my new car with Knockback but usually only after using the rumblestrips & curbs hard.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2012, 09:28 PM   #3
Sleeper519
Captain
Sleeper519's Avatar
United_States
20
Rep
770
Posts

 
Drives: 08 E92 M3 DCT
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA

iTrader: (0)

Sorry, what is knockback?
__________________

2008 M3 Coupe / DCT // StopTech BBK 380/355 / Pagid RS29 / Motul / Apex Arc-8 / BFG R1S / Ground Control / MS filter / Performance spoiler / BPM tune // Road Atlanta 1:39.80 / VIR Full 2:10.87 / Barber 1:42.20
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2012, 09:54 PM   #4
Richbot
Colonel
30
Rep
2,127
Posts

 
Drives: Jerez Black E90
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: STL

iTrader: (2)

Slight amount of runout or vibration forces the rotor against the pads without the brake pedal depressed, pushing the pads away from the rotor so that there is dead space between the pads and the rotor the next time you hit the brakes

Rumbles are a big factor. Wheel bearings on a car like this with this much tracking is probably not a dumb idea. The front ones are stupid simple to change too, the rears are a little more involved
__________________
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2012, 11:46 PM   #5
rzm3
Moderator
rzm3's Avatar
224
Rep
4,603
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: USA

iTrader: (14)

Mine was changed at about 25,000 miles. Rear right bearing started making a clicking noise.
__________________
E92 M3 DCT - AiM EVO4 Data Logger / AiM SmartyCam HD / KW Competition 2-Way / OMP ARS Racing Seats / Brembo GT 365 / Pagid Yellow RS-29 / Rear Seats Delete
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2012, 05:45 PM   #6
klammer
Brigadier General
41
Rep
3,245
Posts

 
Drives: 11 spc gry m3 e90, 07 X5
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: chicago

iTrader: (0)

Thanks guys, had not heard of this, will keep it in mind. Btw, when should I look for it, how long/ how many events and if I try and stay clear of the berms and rumble strips will I prolong replacement need? Learn something new every day.
__________________
mods: akra evo, dinan 3.45 diff, ess akra tune, dinan stg.3, Alcon bbk, HRE P40
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2012, 05:48 PM   #7
Z K
Colonel
Z K's Avatar
United_States
26
Rep
2,174
Posts

 
Drives: E90 M3, MK6 GLI
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by klammer View Post
Thanks guys, had not heard of this, will keep it in mind. Btw, when should I look for it, how long/ how many events and if I try and stay clear of the berms and rumble strips will I prolong replacement need? Learn something new every day.
Generally if the wheel bearing goes, you'll hear clunking sounds when driving and vibrations through the steering wheel sometimes (if it is the front wheel). If your bearing is really bad, you can wiggle the wheel when you jack up the car and push on the wheel with it still attached to the car.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2012, 06:53 PM   #8
persian54
Lieutenant General
persian54's Avatar
United_States
285
Rep
15,812
Posts

 
Drives: SL550. Prev: E93 M3/335i/Z435i
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Valley, SoCal

iTrader: (291)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
Generally if the wheel bearing goes, you'll hear clunking sounds when driving and vibrations through the steering wheel sometimes (if it is the front wheel). If your bearing is really bad, you can wiggle the wheel when you jack up the car and push on the wheel with it still attached to the car.
The thing is.... you can have vibrations in the steering wheel due to an improperly balanced wheel as well... or a tire with chunks missing.... how can you tell the difference if it's the wheel bearing?

Would this be covered under the BMW maintenance warranty?

How much do wheel bearings cost on this car?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2012, 07:33 PM   #9
Gearhead999s
Major General
Gearhead999s's Avatar
93
Rep
6,814
Posts

 
Drives: F25 2.8d(wifes)F82 M4
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by persian54 View Post
The thing is.... you can have vibrations in the steering wheel due to an improperly balanced wheel as well... or a tire with chunks missing.... how can you tell the difference if it's the wheel bearing?

Would this be covered under the BMW maintenance warranty?

How much do wheel bearings cost on this car?
You will usually hear a low rumbling sound and some vibration when the offending wheel is loaded going around a corner which is not to be confused with a scaloped or worn tire.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2012, 07:34 PM   #10
Z K
Colonel
Z K's Avatar
United_States
26
Rep
2,174
Posts

 
Drives: E90 M3, MK6 GLI
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by persian54 View Post
The thing is.... you can have vibrations in the steering wheel due to an improperly balanced wheel as well... or a tire with chunks missing.... how can you tell the difference if it's the wheel bearing?

Would this be covered under the BMW maintenance warranty?

How much do wheel bearings cost on this car?
Usually it's more clunking/clicking/ticking than vibrations. The sound gets more frequent as you speed up and less frequent as you slow down. It becomes a "whirring" or "rumble" sound at higher speeds.

The 2nd way where you jack the car up, have the wheel in the air and try to push/pull on it and see if there is play - if the wheel has play, you know for sure something is bad.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2012, 09:07 PM   #11
Maypo
Private
Maypo's Avatar
0
Rep
84
Posts

 
Drives: IBM E92
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Puyallup, WA

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead999s View Post
You will usually hear a low rumbling sound and some vibration when the offending wheel is loaded ...
Word of caution -- "usually," but not always. A friend of mine recently changed a bad bearing that was actually the 'off-side' bearing, on his E36.

Had X1/9s back when, and they could fool you completely -- changed both fronts once, when it was a rear bearing howling.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2012, 04:16 AM   #12
persian54
Lieutenant General
persian54's Avatar
United_States
285
Rep
15,812
Posts

 
Drives: SL550. Prev: E93 M3/335i/Z435i
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Valley, SoCal

iTrader: (291)

Thanks for the advice and info
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2012, 11:06 AM   #13
Gearhead999s
Major General
Gearhead999s's Avatar
93
Rep
6,814
Posts

 
Drives: F25 2.8d(wifes)F82 M4
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maypo View Post
Word of caution -- "usually," but not always. A friend of mine recently changed a bad bearing that was actually the 'off-side' bearing, on his E36.

Had X1/9s back when, and they could fool you completely -- changed both fronts once, when it was a rear bearing howling.
It has always worked for me!If you have had a 4th Generation Camaro or a C4 or C5 Vette on R compounds like have,you become an expert on when to replace wheel bearings and even bring spare fronts to the track
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2012, 01:13 AM   #14
bigjae1976
That's what she said...
bigjae1976's Avatar
84
Rep
5,634
Posts

 
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Milwaukee, WI

iTrader: (12)

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.00]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
I wonder if the SIR B90 tool works for our cars...

Pad knock back is not fun when you don't know what it is and you are charging into a corner trying to slow the car from about 130mph to 40mph .

I believe it is more prevalent when the pads get low. At least that's the only time I got it in my E46 with the UUC/Wilwood kit.
__________________


Sponsored by Momentum BMW #593...We Bleed BMW BLUE!
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2012, 09:17 PM   #15
RickyBobby
Lieutenant
RickyBobby's Avatar
14
Rep
518
Posts

 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: NorCal

iTrader: (2)

Rldzhao, did you replace all of your bearing or just the one that was bad? I don't have any of the usual symptoms of bad bearings so I'm thinking this is just a fact of life with the stoptechs and will add knockback springs. I'm not big on hitting rumble strips but our tracks our here do have lots of elevation changes and compression turns that really load up the suspension and bearings and cause noticeable knockback.
I also spoke with bimmerworld and their vote goes to knockback springs. They said they've seen few if any wheel bearing issues on the e90.
I certainly will keep an eye on my bearings though.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2012, 09:23 PM   #16
Richbot
Colonel
30
Rep
2,127
Posts

 
Drives: Jerez Black E90
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: STL

iTrader: (2)

There's always the left foot brake brush before the next corner too. It's standard operating procedure for me.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2012, 10:46 PM   #17
RickyBobby
Lieutenant
RickyBobby's Avatar
14
Rep
518
Posts

 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: NorCal

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richbot View Post
There's always the left foot brake brush before the next corner too. It's standard operating procedure for me.
That's a given, I'm already doing it. I'm just happy that this car doesn't cut the engine power when you left foot tap the brakes like my last car did.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2012, 11:23 PM   #18
kaiv
Major
United_States
24
Rep
1,237
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: San Diego, CA

iTrader: (15)

I wouldn't bother replacing them that early (or before they fail).
I replaced the wheel bearings on my E46 M3 well past 100k miles. And that car saw a lot of track time, sideway action etc.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2012, 07:48 PM   #19
RickyBobby
Lieutenant
RickyBobby's Avatar
14
Rep
518
Posts

 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: NorCal

iTrader: (2)

It looks like it was my bearings. I approached the issue from the least to most expensive solution. Unfortunately the most expensive issue was the culprit.

Step 1: Knockback springs in the stoptechs. Showed a little bit of improvement but knockback was still there in hard esses (and of course the corkscrew).
Step 2: Replaced front wheel bearings. I've only driven on the street but so far I haven't been able to get any type of knockback even in high speed abandoned parking lot manuvers.

So the moral of the story is that wheel bearings are now part of my annual track maintenance plan.
Attached Images
  
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2012, 07:54 PM   #20
VictorH
Captain
16
Rep
640
Posts

 
Drives: '09 M3
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: SC

iTrader: (2)

So what did they look like? Were they all loose and sloppy? Were the cages worn? Can you give us an idea about an estimate of the amount of wear those bearings had?

How many track days per year are you running and are you running R-comps or slicks?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2012, 11:50 PM   #21
Richard@M-World
Richard@M-World's Avatar
United_States
25
Rep
683
Posts

 
Drives: NASA TTA #92 M3
Join Date: May 2011
Location: TX/IL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyBobby View Post
It looks like it was my bearings. I approached the issue from the least to most expensive solution. Unfortunately the most expensive issue was the culprit.

Step 1: Knockback springs in the stoptechs. Showed a little bit of improvement but knockback was still there in hard esses (and of course the corkscrew).
Step 2: Replaced front wheel bearings. I've only driven on the street but so far I haven't been able to get any type of knockback even in high speed abandoned parking lot manuvers.

So the moral of the story is that wheel bearings are now part of my annual track maintenance plan.
Keep us posted after you try it on the race track
__________________
Authorized AiM Dealer - Solo/Solo DL | SmartyCam HD | www.m-world.us
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2012, 02:29 PM   #22
wwjd15
Banned
United_States
23
Rep
1,322
Posts

 
Drives: 11 E92 M3 MR
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Orange County

iTrader: (6)

I had 3 problem #1 vibration, #2 knockback, #3 car pulling to the left issue.
After replacing the wheel bearings on fronts, problem #1 and #3 are gone. Problem #2 still there.
After replacing new rotors, problem #2 solved.

My car runs perfectly finally. Hope everything goes well on yours.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:51 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST