BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis
 
Strasse Wheels
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-29-2012, 08:15 PM   #1
persian54
Lieutenant General
persian54's Avatar
United_States
283
Rep
15,809
Posts

 
Drives: SL550. Prev: E93 M3/335i/Z435i
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Valley, SoCal

iTrader: (291)

How to get air out of the ABS Pump?

There's a possibility that air may have gotten trapped into my ABS pump

If this is the case, other than going to the dealer and having them fix it, what's the best solution?

I found out that when my StopTech SS lines were originally installed a couple months ago, they weren't tight enough. Also, there were leaks around the line areas... and when the brakes were bleed, there was a lot of air...
I originally thought i had crappy pedal feel cause I boiled my Motul 600, but it seems that wasn't the only issue (air being the main one). Before the BBK, I had to push my pedal far down, almost to the floor, to even stop at parking lot speeds. When I pressed hard, the car stopped no problem...I just had to push the pedal down to the floor..

I had a StopTech Trophy BBK installed very recently.
When I brake, the car stops. But the pedal doesn't feel firm (or as firm as I'd like it). Much better than before the BBK though... that's for sure.
I need to push it in more than I want to...
my grandma's altima has a more responsible pedal! (car is only 2months old, but it's an altima lol)

No I have no bed the pads in, I will do that today.

But both the tech (not the same person that did a bad SS Line install months ago) that installed the BBK and a friend whom I get advice from (he's been involved with track cars longer than I've been allowed to drive) both mentioned the possibility of air in the ABS pump (or worse, a damaged ABS system), so thus this is one area I would like to address.

Anyway to get this addressed other than the dealer?
As I've heard you need to use the BMW computer to pressurize the line and such...
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2012, 03:09 PM   #2
Romeo21779
New Member
0
Rep
8
Posts

 
Drives: Acura RSX
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: MI

iTrader: (0)

Bed in your pads first. I had abysmal pedal feel until the brakes were probably bedded.

EDIT

Also, make sure the brakes were bled in the right order. I'm not sure what the order is on the M3 but, on my RSX, it's some strange order that I have to always the check the shop manual for. Mainly with the brakes being connected diagonally, so that if one of the lines break, the opposite corners will still work.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2012, 03:23 PM   #3
Ilia@IND
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Ilia@IND's Avatar
107
Rep
2,207
Posts


 
Drives: F82 M4
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (3)

Properly bedded pads will make a difference in feel, for sure.

Many shops will use a pressure bleeder to bleed through the brake system quickly, but I am not sold on this being the best option.

You should manually bleed your brakes-

Pump the brake pedal several times (you should feel pedal pressure increase)

Hold the brake pedal down firmly.

While holding the pedal, have a friend open the bleed screw, hold it open for a second, and close it again. Do not let the pedal go up while your friend is doing this, as this will re-introduce air into the system.

Go around the car and continue the bleeding process, starting with the corner that is furthest from the driver first. So on a left hand drive M3, you would do the passenger (right) rear corner first, then the left rear, then the right front, and finally the left front.

I like to go through each bleed screw three times or more, before moving on to the next corner of the car. I also like to go around the whole car several times.

Don't forget to refill the brake fluid reservoir as you bleed the brakes! If the level goes down below minimum you may once again introduce air into the system.

If the procedure is followed correctly, a manually bled brake system will have excellent performance and no air in the system.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2012, 04:00 PM   #4
Malek@MRF
Brigadier General
Malek@MRF's Avatar
United_States
62
Rep
3,404
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3, E46 M3, F30, E30
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Irvine, California

iTrader: (5)

Send a message via AIM to Malek@MRF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilia@IND View Post
Properly bedded pads will make a difference in feel, for sure.

Many shops will use a pressure bleeder to bleed through the brake system quickly, but I am not sold on this being the best option.

You should manually bleed your brakes-

Pump the brake pedal several times (you should feel pedal pressure increase)

Hold the brake pedal down firmly.

While holding the pedal, have a friend open the bleed screw, hold it open for a second, and close it again. Do not let the pedal go up while your friend is doing this, as this will re-introduce air into the system.

Go around the car and continue the bleeding process, starting with the corner that is furthest from the driver first. So on a left hand drive M3, you would do the passenger (right) rear corner first, then the left rear, then the right front, and finally the left front.

I like to go through each bleed screw three times or more, before moving on to the next corner of the car. I also like to go around the whole car several times.

Don't forget to refill the brake fluid reservoir as you bleed the brakes! If the level goes down below minimum you may once again introduce air into the system.

If the procedure is followed correctly, a manually bled brake system will have excellent performance and no air in the system.
Ilia, that is exactly how I bled his brakes for him this past weekend for his Stoptech Trophy kit.

The previous installer did not tighten all the lines down, mainly the passenger front, and had brake fluid sprayed all through out the wheel well and line.

I bled each nipple on each caliper 7 times. I do believe that his ABS pump may be in trouble due to the amount of air that was introduced previously.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2012, 04:22 PM   #5
persian54
Lieutenant General
persian54's Avatar
United_States
283
Rep
15,809
Posts

 
Drives: SL550. Prev: E93 M3/335i/Z435i
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Valley, SoCal

iTrader: (291)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malekreza11 View Post
Ilia, that is exactly how I bled his brakes for him this past weekend for his Stoptech Trophy kit.

The previous installer did not tighten all the lines down, mainly the passenger front, and had brake fluid sprayed all through out the wheel well and line.
Yeah, this is why I raised this question regarding the ABS Pump as you mentioned air could have gotten into it.

Here are 2 iPhone pics from this weekend:



Though I'm sure you have better pictures as the iPhone's camera is not the best.

Last edited by persian54; 01-31-2012 at 05:36 PM.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2012, 05:24 PM   #6
drew313
Enlisted Member
drew313's Avatar
United_States
0
Rep
34
Posts

 
Drives: 12 E92 M3, 12 X5 3.5i, 09 S2k
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Irvine, CA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Probably not the cause of your brake pedal feel, but your calipers are installed on the wrong sides. The bleed nipple should point up.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2012, 05:49 PM   #7
Ilia@IND
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Ilia@IND's Avatar
107
Rep
2,207
Posts


 
Drives: F82 M4
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (3)

The bleed screws facing down would contribute to poor pedal feel. The bleed point should be the upper most point on the caliper, not the lowest.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2012, 05:51 PM   #8
wdd1040
Private First Class
1
Rep
116
Posts

 
Drives: '08 e92 M3
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Orlando, Fl

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew313 View Post
Probably not the cause of your brake pedal feel, but your calipers are installed on the wrong sides. The bleed nipple should point up.
The could very possibly prevent all the air from getting bled out.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2012, 05:57 PM   #9
wwjd15
Banned
United_States
23
Rep
1,322
Posts

 
Drives: 11 E92 M3 MR
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Orange County

iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by persian54 View Post
Yeah, this is why I raised this question regarding the ABS Pump as you mentioned air could have gotten into it.

Here are 2 iPhone pics from this weekend:



Though I'm sure you have better pictures as the iPhone's camera is not the best.
Sean, can you get a better pic of the brakes with the car together? They look like installed upside down to me???? How could you not getting air when you put your calipers like that??
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2012, 06:10 PM   #10
persian54
Lieutenant General
persian54's Avatar
United_States
283
Rep
15,809
Posts

 
Drives: SL550. Prev: E93 M3/335i/Z435i
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Valley, SoCal

iTrader: (291)

Didn't mean for this thread to turn into bleeder screw vs abs pump

But good to know.....
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2012, 06:34 PM   #11
M3PO
Colonel
M3PO's Avatar
34
Rep
2,777
Posts

 
Drives: '08 IB E92
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: OC

iTrader: (7)

Wow! The calipers are on the wrong side of the car; they are upside down! The air will rise to the top of the caliper, and with the bleeder screw on the bottom, it will never be bled out. Your calipers are probably FULL of air.

I wouldn't drive it until that's corrected. When you drive it after this is fixed, make sure you don't hit your face on the steering wheel the first time you press the brakes!
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2012, 06:54 PM   #12
JAJ
Captain
17
Rep
933
Posts

 
Drives: 2014 Shelby GT500
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC

iTrader: (4)

And this, gentlemen, is why I do my own brake and suspension work.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2012, 06:56 PM   #13
persian54
Lieutenant General
persian54's Avatar
United_States
283
Rep
15,809
Posts

 
Drives: SL550. Prev: E93 M3/335i/Z435i
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Valley, SoCal

iTrader: (291)

This was how one StopTech rep advised on the install.

Will be corrected Thursday afternoon-ish
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2012, 06:57 PM   #14
Green-Eggs
Captain
United_States
26
Rep
812
Posts

 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (3)




:
:


__________________
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2012, 07:22 PM   #15
persian54
Lieutenant General
persian54's Avatar
United_States
283
Rep
15,809
Posts

 
Drives: SL550. Prev: E93 M3/335i/Z435i
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Valley, SoCal

iTrader: (291)

now now let's get back on topic.. where can I go, either than the dealer, if I needed my ABS system etc flushed?
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2012, 08:02 PM   #16
EndlessE88
Private First Class
EndlessE88's Avatar
4
Rep
147
Posts

 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (1)

Did you take your car to a High School Auto Shop?

Amazing.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2012, 08:13 PM   #17
Elementary
If you ain't first, you're last!
2
Rep
112
Posts

 
Drives: M Drei
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

lololol.... who ever installed this kit should not be working on cars. The person who rebled your brakes should have noticed that instantly. You should stop dealing with incompetent shops, find yourself a shop that knows what they're doing.


A bad situation for you but I find it hilarious that the calipers are installed the wrong way, total noob move.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2012, 08:19 PM   #18
EndlessE88
Private First Class
EndlessE88's Avatar
4
Rep
147
Posts

 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elementary View Post
lololol.... who ever installed this kit should not be working on cars. The person who rebled your brakes should have noticed that instantly. You should stop dealing with incompetent shops, find yourself a shop that knows what they're doing.


A bad situation for you but I find it hilarious that the calipers are installed the wrong way, total noob move.
I agree!

Are these the two so-called "techs" that worked on your car?

Appreciate 0
      01-31-2012, 08:46 PM   #19
M3SQRD
Colonel
M3SQRD's Avatar
United_States
24
Rep
2,480
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3s,R56 CooperS,F22 228iX
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: EC

iTrader: (2)

Once your calipers are installed correctly, like others have stated, you'll get a much improved bleed and any air trapped in the calipers will be removed. This by itself may address your soft pedal and/or poor brake performance/feel.

If you think air is still trapped in the ABS pump then the only way I know how to remove air from the pump is at the dealer - need to cycle the pump while bleeding the system.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2012, 09:00 PM   #20
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
tom @ eas's Avatar
United_States
326
Rep
10,621
Posts


 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Anaheim, CA

iTrader: (13)

Garage List
ABS pump can be cycled with Autologic.

Once the calipers are mounted and bled, everything should be back in place.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2012, 10:22 PM   #21
Elementary
If you ain't first, you're last!
2
Rep
112
Posts

 
Drives: M Drei
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndlessE88 View Post
I agree!

Are these the two so-called "techs" that worked on your car?

I lol'd.... They're engineers too!

Last edited by Elementary; 02-01-2012 at 01:25 AM.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2012, 01:58 AM   #22
Peter Griffin
Private First Class
3
Rep
142
Posts

 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Tustin, CA

iTrader: (0)

After reading this thread, I think I know which local shop not to take it to.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:17 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST