BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-23-2012, 05:58 PM   #1
tibra1
Banned
 
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NYC

Posts: 6,777
iTrader: (4)

Front camber 2011 e92 ZCP M3

Cross posting from here

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...0#post11206010

I want to run Pilot Super Sports 255/35/19 and 275/35/19 with a 9.5 front ET20 / 10.5 rear ET22.

I have been told I may rub upfront unless I dial in some neg camber or even consider running a 245/35/19.

I dont want to do the latter b/c of the tire stretch of a 245 on a 9.5 wheel and I dont want to increase the stagger difference f/r.

I have a 2011 ZCP M3 stock suspension w/ EDC

Any help from the tire/wheel fitment experts, would be much appreciated.
tibra1 is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      01-23-2012, 06:05 PM   #2
tibra1
Banned
 
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NYC

Posts: 6,777
iTrader: (4)

Pics of the car for some reference..currently running P zero 245/35/19 Front 265/35/19 Rear on ZCP wheels (9F 10R) with 15mm spacer front, 10mm spacer rear.

Effective offsets are 16mm F/ 15mm R

Name:  Photo0368.jpg
Views: 505
Size:  187.2 KB

Name:  Photo0370.jpg
Views: 375
Size:  170.7 KB

Name:  Photo0371.jpg
Views: 385
Size:  162.4 KB

Name:  Photo0372.jpg
Views: 375
Size:  129.2 KB

Name:  Photo0373.jpg
Views: 370
Size:  134.0 KB
tibra1 is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      01-23-2012, 06:10 PM   #3
BarryC
Major
 
Drives: '13 LRP M3
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Kernersville NC

Posts: 1,154
iTrader: (10)

My experience with a 255/35 rubbing has nothing to do with camber. The rub is worst on the passenger side at the 9 o'clock position (assuming you are looking at the wheel and thinking of it as a clock face). The driver side rubs a little too. The rub is minimal at best on either side and is due to a larger diameter tire. I don't believe an additional .5 inch in wheel width will reduce the diameter so I think it would probably still rub.

Seriously it's not bad - basically scuffing the fender liner.

BC
__________________
2014 M5
BarryC is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-23-2012, 07:03 PM   #4
tibra1
Banned
 
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NYC

Posts: 6,777
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryC View Post
My experience with a 255/35 rubbing has nothing to do with camber. The rub is worst on the passenger side at the 9 o'clock position (assuming you are looking at the wheel and thinking of it as a clock face). The driver side rubs a little too. The rub is minimal at best on either side and is due to a larger diameter tire. I don't believe an additional .5 inch in wheel width will reduce the diameter so I think it would probably still rub.

Seriously it's not bad - basically scuffing the fender liner.

BC
Were you also running a 19x9.5 in front?..What were the Ets?

THX
tibra1 is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      01-23-2012, 07:50 PM   #5
BarryC
Major
 
Drives: '13 LRP M3
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Kernersville NC

Posts: 1,154
iTrader: (10)

To be honest - I don't remember if I've run a 9.5" rim. I've had so many sets over the past 4 years I don't remember. Mostly 9" though...

Thx,
BC
__________________
2014 M5
BarryC is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-23-2012, 07:51 PM   #6
M3SQRD
Colonel
 
M3SQRD's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3s, R56 Cooper S
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: EC

Posts: 2,420
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibra1 View Post
Were you also running a 19x9.5 in front?..What were the Ets?

THX
I'm running a 255/40 PSS on an 18x9.5 et23 front wheel without rubbing, even at full steering lock. I hope this helps...
M3SQRD is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-23-2012, 08:07 PM   #7
tibra1
Banned
 
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NYC

Posts: 6,777
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarnes View Post
I'm running a 255/40 PSS on an 18x9.5 et23 front wheel without rubbing, even at full steering lock. I hope this helps...
Actually this gives me some hope but are you on stock/ZCP suspension?..

A 255/35/19 has exact same diameter as your 255/40/18. Both are 26 inches..and your ETs are almost identical 23 vs my 20..
tibra1 is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      01-23-2012, 08:09 PM   #8
smmmurf
Colonel
 
Drives: 2009 M3 Sedan 6MT
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Pleasanton, CA

Posts: 2,084
iTrader: (7)

You will want more camber than stock to run pilot super sports anyways.
They have more grip and require more camber to fully take advantage of them.
Recommend pulling camber pins if you have not already, or if possible even do camber plates.
The ~0.4 degrees of extra front negative camber helps the car rotate better on PSS.
__________________

M3 Sedan LCI - AW/Black - 6MT - no moonroof - no folding seats - RAC RG63 - clear bra by Omega Werks
smmmurf is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-23-2012, 08:17 PM   #9
M3SQRD
Colonel
 
M3SQRD's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3s, R56 Cooper S
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: EC

Posts: 2,420
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibra1 View Post
Actually this gives me some hope but are you on stock/ZCP suspension?..

A 255/35/19 has exact same diameter as your 255/40/18. Both are 26 inches..and your ETs are almost identical 23 vs my 20..
Coilovers with KW camber plates. Car has been lowered ~1" and front camber is currently set at -2.3 deg. Also, I did not rub when front camber was set at -1.7 deg.
M3SQRD is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-23-2012, 08:21 PM   #10
tibra1
Banned
 
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NYC

Posts: 6,777
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarnes View Post
Coilovers with KW camber plates. Car has been lowered ~1" and front camber is currently set at -2.3 deg. Also, I did not rub when front camber was set at -1.7 deg.
Ughh I was hoping you would say stock..well thx for posting your camber settings this will help alot since your tire/wheel package is exact same OD i want to run.
tibra1 is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      01-23-2012, 08:35 PM   #11
M3SQRD
Colonel
 
M3SQRD's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3s, R56 Cooper S
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: EC

Posts: 2,420
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibra1 View Post
Ughh I was hoping you would say stock..well thx for posting your camber settings this will help alot since your tire/wheel package is exact same OD i want to run.
I believe people have been able to get around -2 deg of camber with stock pins pulled (someone please correct me if I'm wrong).

One other thing that may cause, or help prevent, rubbing is the thickness of the rim protector "bead" on the tire, which varies by tire brand as well as tire diameter.
M3SQRD is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-23-2012, 08:38 PM   #12
tibra1
Banned
 
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NYC

Posts: 6,777
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarnes View Post
I believe people have been able to get around -2 deg of camber with stock pins pulled (someone please correct me if I'm wrong).

One other thing that may cause, or help prevent, rubbing is the thickness of the rim protector "bead" on the tire, which varies by tire brand as well as tire diameter.
Yep..I know alot depends on tire brand..Im looking at Michelin PSS

If I can get up to -2 stock w/pins removed that would be great..or I may just pick up Dinan's static camber plates which add another -0.7 deg of camber..rather not go that route unless I absolutely have to
tibra1 is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      01-23-2012, 08:41 PM   #13
smmmurf
Colonel
 
Drives: 2009 M3 Sedan 6MT
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Pleasanton, CA

Posts: 2,084
iTrader: (7)

Stock with pins removed on ZCP should be plenty for street tires and mostly street driving. Probably at least -1.6... -2.0 is optimistic but possible.
__________________

M3 Sedan LCI - AW/Black - 6MT - no moonroof - no folding seats - RAC RG63 - clear bra by Omega Werks
smmmurf is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-23-2012, 08:52 PM   #14
M3SQRD
Colonel
 
M3SQRD's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3s, R56 Cooper S
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: EC

Posts: 2,420
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by smmmurf View Post
Stock with pins removed on ZCP should be plenty for street tires and mostly street driving. Probably at least -1.6... -2.0 is optimistic but possible.
Thanks for correcting me
M3SQRD is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-23-2012, 08:56 PM   #15
M3SQRD
Colonel
 
M3SQRD's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3s, R56 Cooper S
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: EC

Posts: 2,420
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibra1 View Post
Yep..I know alot depends on tire brand..Im looking at Michelin PSS

If I can get up to -2 stock w/pins removed that would be great..or I may just pick up Dinan's static camber plates which add another -0.7 deg of camber..rather not go that route unless I absolutely have to
OK. Good luck!

Why not get the GC street camber plates for the stock springs? I have a set with custom 60 mm upper spring mounts. I'd recommend these over the fixed Dinan plates.
M3SQRD is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-23-2012, 09:20 PM   #16
tibra1
Banned
 
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NYC

Posts: 6,777
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarnes View Post
OK. Good luck!

Why not get the GC street camber plates for the stock springs? I have a set with custom 60 mm upper spring mounts. I'd recommend these over the fixed Dinan plates.
I will take a look at them THX
tibra1 is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      01-23-2012, 09:46 PM   #17
tibra1
Banned
 
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NYC

Posts: 6,777
iTrader: (4)

Bump I'd really like to get some more responses and feedback here..where are all the tire/wheel fitment gurus?
tibra1 is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      01-24-2012, 12:22 PM   #18
ben@tirerack
M3Post Supporting Vendor
 
Drives: 740i
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: South Bend, IN

Posts: 831
iTrader: (0)

Rub/no rub is hard to predict. Sometimes what works fine on one car rubs on another, and vice versa. It'll be close, but should be workable. This is not the most aggressive setup ever run, but it's right at the point where a little rubbing is possible.
__________________
_______________________________________________



To credit the forum, click through one of the banners in my signature and the top of the page, or call me direct at 877.522.8473 ext 660.
Email:ben@tirerack.com
ben@tirerack is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:19 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST