BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-30-2011, 03:30 PM   #1
The Database
Prepare to be virtually punished.
United_States
3
Rep
123
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 E92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Tampa/ Orlando

iTrader: (0)

Wheel Locks

Anybody have some suggestions for wheel locks other than the OEM ones. The past owner of my car had them way over torqued and they got stripped pretty badly.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2011, 04:23 PM   #2
M3SQRD
Colonel
M3SQRD's Avatar
United_States
24
Rep
2,480
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3s,R56 CooperS,F22 228iX
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: EC

iTrader: (2)

RAD wheel locks are high quality (grade 10.9). Unlike the oem locks, the key slips over the lug bolt (larger diameter splined head so torque is better distributed over greater contact area). They make them in standard (26 mm) and extra long (use with spacers) lengths. WSTO carries them and they cost $39 (just ordered longer ones last week).
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2011, 04:34 PM   #3
SamS
Brigadier General
SamS's Avatar
61
Rep
4,570
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 ActiveHybrid 3
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Dallas, TX

iTrader: (0)

If you use the OEM ones, do most dealers have the key(s) to fit when taking off wheels/etc? Sometimes it's a pain to remember to give a service dept the wheel lock key.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2011, 04:42 PM   #4
The Database
Prepare to be virtually punished.
United_States
3
Rep
123
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 E92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Tampa/ Orlando

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
If you use the OEM ones, do most dealers have the key(s) to fit when taking off wheels/etc? Sometimes it's a pain to remember to give a service dept the wheel lock key.
Just keep your wheel lock key in the trunk and you'll never have a problem with that.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2011, 04:43 PM   #5
M3SQRD
Colonel
M3SQRD's Avatar
United_States
24
Rep
2,480
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3s,R56 CooperS,F22 228iX
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: EC

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
If you use the OEM ones, do most dealers have the key(s) to fit when taking off wheels/etc? Sometimes it's a pain to remember to give a service dept the wheel lock key.
Yes but they are easily stripped especially if you don't remove your wheels often. Why not store the key in the tool tray in the trunk?
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2011, 04:56 PM   #6
SamS
Brigadier General
SamS's Avatar
61
Rep
4,570
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 ActiveHybrid 3
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Dallas, TX

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Database View Post
Just keep your wheel lock key in the trunk and you'll never have a problem with that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarnes View Post
Yes but they are easily stripped especially if you don't remove your wheels often. Why not store the key in the tool tray in the trunk?
That's what I do with my daily driver. I just forget some times to tell them where the lock is, etc.

I'm open to any suggestion for wheel locks for my M3. I went to the RAD site, but was overwhelmed with the proper choice for the M3.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2011, 04:58 PM   #7
M3SQRD
Colonel
M3SQRD's Avatar
United_States
24
Rep
2,480
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3s,R56 CooperS,F22 228iX
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: EC

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
That's what I do with my daily driver. I just forget some times to tell them where the lock is, etc.

I'm open to any suggestion for wheel locks for my M3. I went to the RAD site, but was overwhelmed with the proper choice for the M3.
Stock e9x M3 size is 12 mm x 1.5 mm, 26 mm length.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2011, 05:09 PM   #8
SamS
Brigadier General
SamS's Avatar
61
Rep
4,570
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 ActiveHybrid 3
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Dallas, TX

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarnes View Post
Stock e9x M3 size is 12 mm x 1.5 mm, 26 mm length.
Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2011, 05:15 PM   #9
M3SQRD
Colonel
M3SQRD's Avatar
United_States
24
Rep
2,480
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3s,R56 CooperS,F22 228iX
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: EC

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
Thank you!
Your welcome

Just go to wheelsto.com (forum vendor) - they stock the RAD locks
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2011, 05:18 PM   #10
SamS
Brigadier General
SamS's Avatar
61
Rep
4,570
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 ActiveHybrid 3
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Dallas, TX

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarnes View Post
Your welcome

Just go to wheelsto.com (forum vendor) - they stock the RAD locks
Even better.. will do
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2011, 08:46 PM   #11
The Database
Prepare to be virtually punished.
United_States
3
Rep
123
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 E92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Tampa/ Orlando

iTrader: (0)

Thanks, I'm ordering mine tonight.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2012, 01:51 PM   #12
SamS
Brigadier General
SamS's Avatar
61
Rep
4,570
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 ActiveHybrid 3
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Dallas, TX

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarnes View Post
Your welcome

Just go to wheelsto.com (forum vendor) - they stock the RAD locks
I never could find the RAD locks on the wheelsto site. But, it looks like they're stocked at jlevistreetwerks.com

I was taking the wheels off my daily yesterday, and started thinking about how hard it's going to be taking off the M3 wheels, and trying to put them back on the lugs without banging up everything. I know places sell the wheel lug installation hanger/guide, which makes sense. Dumb question: what's the easiest way to unscrew one of the OEM lugs without damaging it, so I can screw the guide in?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2012, 02:42 PM   #13
M3SQRD
Colonel
M3SQRD's Avatar
United_States
24
Rep
2,480
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3s,R56 CooperS,F22 228iX
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: EC

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
I never could find the RAD locks on the wheelsto site. But, it looks like they're stocked at jlevistreetwerks.com

I was taking the wheels off my daily yesterday, and started thinking about how hard it's going to be taking off the M3 wheels, and trying to put them back on the lugs without banging up everything. I know places sell the wheel lug installation hanger/guide, which makes sense. Dumb question: what's the easiest way to unscrew one of the OEM lugs without damaging it, so I can screw the guide in?
I wonder if you couldn't find them because they had started the transition to becoming VR? I say that because I had ordered two sets at about the same time. Glad you were able to find them at another site vendor!

I've never had a problem installing wheels on BMWs. I place the wheel on the hub centering ring and then thread the lugs one at a time, in a star pattern, by hand with a socket (you can buy a socket with an outer rubber protector), snug them with a breaker bar and then torque them, again in a star pattern, with a torque wrench. Taking a wheel off I use a cordless impact gun to loosen the lug bolts and I've never damaged a wheel.

However, to answer your question, I'd recommend getting a 17 mm deep reduced-diameter socket with a rubber protector to minimize any potential wheel damage (Groit's Garage has them but you'll have to buy a set).
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2012, 02:50 PM   #14
SamS
Brigadier General
SamS's Avatar
61
Rep
4,570
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 ActiveHybrid 3
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Dallas, TX

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarnes View Post
I wonder if you couldn't find them because they had started the transition to becoming VR? I say that because I had ordered two sets at about the same time. Glad you were able to find them at another site vendor!

I've never had a problem installing wheels on BMWs. I place the wheel on the hub centering ring and then thread the lugs one at a time, in a star pattern, by hand with a socket (you can buy a socket with an outer rubber protector), snug them with a breaker bar and then torque them, again in a star pattern, with a torque wrench. Taking a wheel off I use a cordless impact gun to loosen the lug bolts and I've never damaged a wheel.

However, to answer your question, I'd recommend getting a 17 mm deep reduced-diameter socket with a rubber protector to minimize any potential wheel damage (Groit's Garage has them but you'll have to buy a set).

Sorry, I may have been unclear. I know how to remove the lug nuts (actually just got some nice coated sockets), it's the actual studs/bolts that I'm not sure how to unscrew. I'd have to unscrew one stud on each wheel to insert this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/330484536738...ht_1376wt_1159
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2012, 03:00 PM   #15
M3SQRD
Colonel
M3SQRD's Avatar
United_States
24
Rep
2,480
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3s,R56 CooperS,F22 228iX
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: EC

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
Sorry, I may have been unclear. I know how to remove the lug nuts (actually just got some nice coated sockets), it's the actual studs/bolts that I'm not sure how to unscrew. I'd have to unscrew one stud on each wheel to insert this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/330484536738...ht_1376wt_1159
Sorry about that!

Have you switched to wheel studs or are you still using the OEM lug bolts? Are you trying to replace one wheel stud with the wheel lock lug bolt?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2012, 03:30 PM   #16
SamS
Brigadier General
SamS's Avatar
61
Rep
4,570
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 ActiveHybrid 3
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Dallas, TX

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarnes View Post
Sorry about that!

Have you switched to wheel studs or are you still using the OEM lug bolts? Are you trying to replace one wheel stud with the wheel lock lug bolt?
Still using the OEM studs. I just want to find something to assist in lining up the wheel to the studs as I put the wheel back on.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2012, 03:35 PM   #17
ThunderMoose
Captain
14
Rep
971
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 C2S and 2003 E46 M3
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: League City, TX

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
Sorry, I may have been unclear. I know how to remove the lug nuts (actually just got some nice coated sockets), it's the actual studs/bolts that I'm not sure how to unscrew. I'd have to unscrew one stud on each wheel to insert this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/330484536738...ht_1376wt_1159

Sam - if you're still OEM, then you have single piece lug bolts. When you remove, you remove everything. I have a similar hanging pin, and I just hand tighten it.

http://www.rmeuropean.com/Images/pro...E_6BB4EABD.jpg

Last edited by ThunderMoose; 01-22-2012 at 03:41 PM.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2012, 03:49 PM   #18
SamS
Brigadier General
SamS's Avatar
61
Rep
4,570
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 ActiveHybrid 3
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Dallas, TX

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderMoose View Post
Sam - if you're still OEM, then you have single piece lug bolts. When you remove, you remove everything. I have a similar hanging pin, and I just hand tighten it.

http://www.rmeuropean.com/Images/pro...E_6BB4EABD.jpg
Ah, OK! Ya, I feel dumb. Never removed the lugs from my M3 before, I thought it was a two piece design, like my other cars.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2012, 05:31 PM   #19
M3SQRD
Colonel
M3SQRD's Avatar
United_States
24
Rep
2,480
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3s,R56 CooperS,F22 228iX
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: EC

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
Ah, OK! Ya, I feel dumb. Never removed the lugs from my M3 before, I thought it was a two piece design, like my other cars.
Yep, just remove one lug bolt and install the stud hand tight.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2012, 06:04 PM   #20
SamS
Brigadier General
SamS's Avatar
61
Rep
4,570
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 ActiveHybrid 3
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Dallas, TX

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarnes View Post
Yep, just remove one lug bolt and install the stud hand tight.
Makes sense now. That lug guide is going to be essential!
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:56 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST