BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM Sport

01-19-2012, 08:36 AM   #1
bavarian19
General
United_States
Rep

Drives: Car

Ring Taxi Questions

I know this is loosely related to the M3 since it is the vehicle of choice as of now on the Ring Taxi...

My wife and I are planning a trip to Germany/Prague this summer, and are waiting for the Ring Taxi tickets to become available. I am wondering if anyone has done this, and would like to comment on their experience.

If you have, would you do it again? What would you change?

Any suggestions as to where to stay if we were to spend the night near the track?

I am hoping that a couple of people on the board have done this. I know I can rent a racecar and do the track myself, but that just simply is not in my travel budget.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2012, 09:49 AM   #2
socalm3lover
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: E92 M3

The Dorint hotel is right at the track. It is very nice and is very race car "themed". I have been at the track several times, but never taken the Ring Taxi. I suspect that it is worth it, but not cheap. To ride the whole track with someone that really knows the track and how to drive is pretty special. It will be a thrill.

John
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2012, 10:02 AM   #3
warp10
Captain
Rep

Drives: 2011 M3 Jet Black:ZCP, ZCV, ZP

Garage List
2011 M3  [5.00]
2011 28i X3  [0.00]
We are going in June this year and are also waiting for the tickets to become available.

2011 E92 M3 Coupe Jet Black ZCP: aFe High Flow Filter, AA Race X-Pipe, UUC Corsa Exhaust, Evolve Stage 2 Tune w/ Servo and DCT, BMW Performance Electric Steering Wheel V2, CF Spoiler, and GT4 Front Splitter, APR GT-250, Stoptech ST-60, KW Clubsports, Apex ARC-8, 275 NT01, Sparco Ergo Seats, Alekshop: Cage, Subframe and Diff mounts, Oil Cooler
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2012, 10:08 AM   #4
///My5UV
Lurker
Rep

Drives: E39M5, E90M3

Back in 2001 we stayed in a town called Bacharach on the Rhine and Nurburg was a pleasant hilly drive away. If you want to be at the track early then you can definitely find places closer... in fact I recall that Sabine's family has an inn within the boundaries of the old north loop. Definitely do some research ASAP since I've heard about alot of financial troubles lately.
      01-19-2012, 10:13 AM   #5
immiketoo
Colonel
Rep

Drives: Smoothly

+1 on the Dorint. Very nice and waking up to the sound of racing is a wonderful thing. THe ring taxi is amazing. Scary and a great learning experience if you are going to drive the track. It's expensive and its better to split the cost with others if you can. My first time it was just me and the girl, but the second another dude wanted to get in on our ride.

Sabine has a place a few miles from the track and while I haven't stayed there, I have heard nothing but great things about it. I will stay there next time for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by double eagle View Post
Thickness feels good to me and my hands aren't that big.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2012, 10:57 AM   #6
///M Rakete
Rocket Scientist
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW 2010 M3 Coupe

I've done it. I would do it once but not more. As I recall it was only about a 9'00" to 9'30" lap but better than taking your own car out for just one lap.

There are many places to stay within an easy driving distance. Two options at both ends...

Next to the 'Ring you can try the Lindner Motorsport & Congress Hotel. Very nice, this is the place BMW puts up participants in its events.

In Ernst, a few km upstream from Cochem on the Mosel, you can try the Haus Schwarzenberg. Very simple but well hosted gasthaus right on the river, about a 45 minute drive from the 'Ring.
2010 BMW M3 Coupe M-DCT w/Tech-EDC, BMW M Performance Exhaust, BPM: Stage I / Euro MDM / DCT / Steering, Space Gray / Fox Red Extended, and a Trunk Monkey known as "Der Stig", plus the daily driver...
2011 BMW 135i M Sport DCT, w/BMW Performance Power Kit, Exhaust, and Brake Rotors, Space Gray / Coral Red, known as "Stiggie" with an outlaw F20 "M135i" badge.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2012, 12:06 PM   #7
bavarian19
General
United_States
Rep

We also are planning on going in late June. My wife probably will not go for the ride (motion sickness).

The prices look like they are 195 euro (about $250).

I will look into the Dorint.

Are there other attractions once in Nurburg?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2012, 12:51 PM   #8
immiketoo
Colonel
Rep

Drives: Smoothly

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarian19 View Post
We also are planning on going in late June. My wife probably will not go for the ride (motion sickness).

There are all kinds of great roads southeast of Nurburg. I also recommend the rhine area to the northeast. Great wine country and roads to drive. There are other attractions around as well. Castle ruins you can explore, great dining and scenic views.

Quote:
Originally Posted by double eagle View Post
Thickness feels good to me and my hands aren't that big.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2012, 02:24 PM   #9
MDyDinanM
OIF Veteran
United_States
Rep

Drives: ///M

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [3.44]
probably a dumb question, but where can you go to rent a car for a day to drive on the Ring? And how do you go about scheduling lap time?

I went to the Ring website, and no I don't speak German! lol
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2012, 03:01 PM   #10
Mike van D
Major
Germany
Rep

Drives: SG X6 35i; MW e92 M3

http://www.nuerburgring-shop.de/fahr...eife-2012.html

Nordshleife info. Good time, a lot to do.
      01-19-2012, 05:57 PM   #11
adc
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 2009 E90 M3 ED

I drove the Ring twice during Euro deliveries, followed the Ring taxi (E60 M5 at that time) for about half a lap, here is my simple take on this - don't do it.

The Ring taxi is fun especially if you don't do any track driving - otherwise if you want to go round really fast, there are ways to get (or beg) a passenger ride in a truly fast car. In both cases you need a strong stomach when riding as a passenger, especially in the back seat of the Ring taxi.

If on the other hand you want to be one driving, rent a fully prepped Ring car from a place like this one: http://www.rentracecar.de/index-gb.htm
They have all sorts of cars depending on the size of your wallet and balls, they are all fully prepped with rollcages, suspension and, very important, insurance. They can even do instruction - call them and talk to them, they are accommodating people.

Just do 50 laps on GT5 before you go to familiarize yourself with the layout and you will have a ball.

Nothing beats the rush of driving the Ring on your own. Nothing.

Now as far as hotels, I recommend Hotel Wilhelmshohe: http://www.hotel-wilhelmshoehe.de/
They are cheap, clean, feature an incredible breakfast buffet and great dinner and the place is run by a British lady with her German husband who will make you feel at home, a guest in their house rather than a customer.

The road from the hotel to the Ring is outstanding and serves beautifully as engine warm-up in the morning...

2009 E90 M3 ED
2014 X1 28i ED
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2012, 06:52 PM   #12
IrishCoffee
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: '11 E92 M3, '14 328i, '14 1LE

Before travelling to Germany I looked into the Ring Taxi, but it seemed like it was always super booked up. It looked impossible to get a spot.

I did Euro delivery and we headed out to Nurburg to check out the Ring. We stayed in the nearby town of Adenau. The hotel may have been the Blau Ecke but I can't remember exactly. Adneau was nice and was very close to the ring. I would recommend the town. Some nice restaurants and bakery style shops.

When we showed up in the morning I was very surprised to find that there were spots available for the Ring Taxi. My two friends decided to do it and had a gigantic smile on their face afterwards. They said it was well worth the money. I'm not sure if they keep spots open for walk-ons or what the deal is. I thought they would be booked, but was surprised to find otherwise. I would get there first thing in the morning to see... that is if you can't get a reservation ahead of time.

+1 on driving the Ring on GT5. I have the game and the force feedback wheel. It is actually pretty damn close to the real deal as far as the track layout goes. It certainly will give you a tiny bit of confidence in what otherwise is a very humbling and nerve racking experience. It is hard to get a feel for elevation change though. It was amazing to get out there and feel it in person though. I feel like I barely slept the night before just out of anxiety.

Be sure to budget time for going to the different viewing areas too. It is a blast watching people rip around the track.

Honestly, other than picking up the car, it was probably the highlight of the trip for me.

Last edited by IrishCoffee; 01-19-2012 at 06:58 PM.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2012, 06:52 PM   #13
Mr. ///M3 RD
Major General
Canada
Rep

Drives: E350 & 280 SL on Weekends :)

Garage List
On my next trip to the ring I will buck a taxi with Sabine Schmitz, she is simply the best. (so they say) hope she is still a driver then. Reservations are required it goes without saying ... 3 to 6 months in advance is strongly recommended.

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well
---> Click here for some good stuff I found

Last edited by Mr. ///M3 RD; 06-12-2012 at 03:25 PM.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2012, 08:59 PM   #14
ThunderMoose
Captain
Rep

Drives: 2009 C2S and 2003 E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolf-Dieter View Post
On my next trip to the ring I will buck a taxi with Sabine Schmitz, she is simply the best. (so they say) hope she is still a driver then. Reservations are required it goes without saying ... 3 to 6 months in advance is strongly recommended.
For some reason, I didn't think she was driving the Ring Taxi any more.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2012, 11:58 PM   #15
Motif
Gruppa krovi-na rukave
Rep

Drives: Something loud and heavy

She stopped driving at the ring a year ago.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2012, 01:46 AM   #16
Canuckles
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Drives: MW 2011 E92 M3

Rolf is right, but I'd try to book even earlier (like 6-12 months), and always check to see if there are cancellations. Yes that is the cost of the car for one lap, but as stated above you can book with other people and split the cost. Also, iirc, they only do laps on the weekends.... correct me if I'm wrong.

And yes, make sure you have a decent amount of time. Plus I bet the rollercoaster if done by now.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2012, 11:19 AM   #17
bavarian19
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderMoose View Post
She is not.

Thanks for all the info. Now the wife (after reading some of this) wants to ride as well.

Debating staying at the ring, or possible renting a car to drive over from Frankfurt, and then back since we will be using trains for most of our trip.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2012, 12:05 PM   #18
///My5UV
Lurker
Rep

Drives: E39M5, E90M3

Quote:
She is not.

Thanks for all the info. Now the wife (after reading some of this) wants to ride as well.

Debating staying at the ring, or possible renting a car to drive over from Frankfurt, and then back since we will be using trains for most of our trip.
One note on the trains... they're great, but Germany is one country in Europe where driving between cities is fun... it's also the easiest way to get to some things like the castles, small towns, and the Zugspitze (highest point in Germany, on the Austrian border)

Also, if anyone suggests you take a night train, punch them in the throat. That was the most miserable night I've spent that didn't involve sleeping outdoors. If you see Rick Steves, punch him in the throat for me.
      01-20-2012, 12:14 PM   #19
dnvrdrvr
Captain Obvious
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2011 Carbon X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderMoose View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motif View Post
She stopped driving at the ring a year ago.
Quote:
She is not.

I could swear she's still driving it, just not for Ring Taxi (and BMW).

Edited: Aha! Found it: www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=549897
      01-21-2012, 11:02 AM   #20
Mike van D
Major
Germany
Rep

Drives: SG X6 35i; MW e92 M3

Booking the RingTaxi is on-line, but it's a semi-PITA process. You need to be on the Motorsport website for it. But what they don't mention is that they can only be made on-line each Monday at 10 am CET. Be ready to click the button the button as bookings are usually are sold out within 3 mins each Monday. If you do get a res, you fill out the info sheet and they send you an e-mail invoice that gives you X amount of time to pay otherwise you loose your res. IIRC, you have to pay by wire transfer. They then will send you your voucher to present at the track, along with a commerative ticket keepsake.
      01-21-2012, 11:23 AM   #21
JulieDriving
Female driving enthusiast :P
Rep

Drives: Bimmer

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
I drove the Ring twice during Euro deliveries, followed the Ring taxi (E60 M5 at that time) for about half a lap, here is my simple take on this - don't do it.

The Ring taxi is fun especially if you don't do any track driving - otherwise if you want to go round really fast, there are ways to get (or beg) a passenger ride in a truly fast car. In both cases you need a strong stomach when riding as a passenger, especially in the back seat of the Ring taxi.

If on the other hand you want to be one driving, rent a fully prepped Ring car from a place like this one: http://www.rentracecar.de/index-gb.htm
They have all sorts of cars depending on the size of your wallet and balls, they are all fully prepped with rollcages, suspension and, very important, insurance. They can even do instruction - call them and talk to them, they are accommodating people.

Just do 50 laps on GT5 before you go to familiarize yourself with the layout and you will have a ball.

Nothing beats the rush of driving the Ring on your own. Nothing.

Now as far as hotels, I recommend Hotel Wilhelmshohe: http://www.hotel-wilhelmshoehe.de/
They are cheap, clean, feature an incredible breakfast buffet and great dinner and the place is run by a British lady with her German husband who will make you feel at home, a guest in their house rather than a customer.

The road from the hotel to the Ring is outstanding and serves beautifully as engine warm-up in the morning...
Great info adc.

I read up about the ring taxi and thought, for myself, what about trying to rent a (properly prepped and insured) car and doing it myself? It would take track preparation beforehand, etc. But I think I'd find it much more exciting.
      01-23-2012, 08:14 PM   #22
auggiem3
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: e92 M3 / former e46 M3 owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarian19

You used to be able to seat 3 in the car for that price - my buddy and I sold a last minute ride to a desperate guy for 80 euro. Made a great ride even easier to stomach...
Attached Images

Last edited by auggiem3; 01-23-2012 at 08:23 PM.
Appreciate 0