BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)
 
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-10-2012, 11:44 PM   #89
Mike Benvo
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Mike Benvo's Avatar
United_States
98
Rep
4,814
Posts


 
Drives: Harrop SC M3 / E46 M3 / 7Turbo
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (7)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [5.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [5.00]
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Benvo
I'm going to listen to these videos when I get home..

My M3 is 12/2007 build, one of the early ones... Almost 38K on the clock and running stronger than ever.

I was at the track a couple weeks ago and the instructor couldn't lose me in a new Z06 with 345 tires!
__________________

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2012, 11:46 PM   #90
mrad01
First Lieutenant
mrad01's Avatar
New Zealand
4
Rep
327
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 BMW E90 M3
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: New Zealand

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Benvo View Post
I'm going to listen to these videos when I get home..

My M3 is 12/2007 build, one of the early ones... Almost 38K on the clock and running stronger than ever.

I was at the track a couple weeks ago and the instructor couldn't lose me in a new Z06 with 345 tires!
Funny how it goes. Mine is a 07/2007 build. One of the first e90s ever. It was used as a press car - so it has every option.
__________________
2008 BMW e90 M3 6MT

1990 BMW e30 325i 5MT
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2012, 01:17 AM   #91
M3PO
Colonel
M3PO's Avatar
34
Rep
2,777
Posts

 
Drives: '08 IB E92
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: OC

iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrad01 View Post
Which is why the thread exists.

Most people probably wouldn't notice it...
+1 I'm willing to bet that this is fairly common and people either don't notice it or think it's normal. I didn't realize mine was doing it until I stopped driving it daily over the holidays.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2012, 11:49 AM   #92
Dodge2Dub
Captain
13
Rep
910
Posts

 
Drives: E90 M3; Ducati
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: San Diego, CA

iTrader: (6)

Was there any resolution to what this sound is on our cars? From what I have read, it sounds like this may be the VANOS versus the videos of the loud sound at startup, which is something more serious. If it's the VANOS, is it a major concern or something that can be lived with for years, and miles, to come?

__________________
E90 M3: Some cool stuff...more to come
Ducati 1199 Panigale: Bucket full of mods
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2012, 08:53 PM   #93
IFX
Banned
32
Rep
2,538
Posts

 
Drives: AW e46M/N54
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: South Fla.

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrad01 View Post
Which is why the thread exists.

Most people probably wouldn't notice it...


Most probably wouldn't notice that noise in the video on post 79?

If you don't know there's something wrong there, idk what to say...
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2012, 09:25 PM   #94
nuespeedgti
Captain
nuespeedgti's Avatar
United_States
13
Rep
763
Posts

 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Rehoboth, MA

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cv8 View Post
Hi -

I have a 2007 E92 M3 with about 38000 miles. When starting the engine from cold there is a loud noise like a mechanical knocking or rattling which goes away within a couple of seconds. This has developed over the last 2000 miles.

Has anyone else experienced this?

yay! fixed link
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2012, 04:30 PM   #95
M3PO
Colonel
M3PO's Avatar
34
Rep
2,777
Posts

 
Drives: '08 IB E92
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: OC

iTrader: (7)

Little bit of an update on mine. Like I said, mine doesn't do it unless I stop driving it every day. So I'd suggest people who DD think about letting it sit for a couple of days and then listen for this.

It is a real problem. My dealer acknowledged the problem after letting it sit for 2 days and starting it. They have contacted BMW asking how to proceed. I'll update when I know more.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2012, 04:38 PM   #96
Dodge2Dub
Captain
13
Rep
910
Posts

 
Drives: E90 M3; Ducati
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: San Diego, CA

iTrader: (6)

Thanks for the udpate!
__________________
E90 M3: Some cool stuff...more to come
Ducati 1199 Panigale: Bucket full of mods
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2012, 12:33 AM   #97
M3PO
Colonel
M3PO's Avatar
34
Rep
2,777
Posts

 
Drives: '08 IB E92
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: OC

iTrader: (7)

BMW will be replacing both timing chain tensioners on my car this week. Apparently, it is not a problem with the VANOS system because they disconnected the VANOS solenoid (Iirc) and the noise was still present.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2012, 01:38 PM   #98
mrad01
First Lieutenant
mrad01's Avatar
New Zealand
4
Rep
327
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 BMW E90 M3
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: New Zealand

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3PO View Post
BMW will be replacing both timing chain tensioners on my car this week. Apparently, it is not a problem with the VANOS system because they disconnected the VANOS solenoid (Iirc) and the noise was still present.
Sounds like the same route they took with mine...in my case, that didnt work. Hope it does for yours!
__________________
2008 BMW e90 M3 6MT

1990 BMW e30 325i 5MT
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 02:10 PM   #99
M3PO
Colonel
M3PO's Avatar
34
Rep
2,777
Posts

 
Drives: '08 IB E92
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: OC

iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrad01 View Post
Sounds like the same route they took with mine...in my case, that didnt work. Hope it does for yours!
Thanks, but I'm not confident that it will. I explained that to the shop foreman. He assured me that they will keep at it until it's fixed.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 02:33 PM   #100
MattE92
Private First Class
3
Rep
133
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 E92 M3
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: New York

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Fool View Post
I live in Germany...... If you want to believe it is a 2007..... cool. But read the following and see if you still believe.

"The fourth generation BMW M3 was announced on the 2007 Geneva Auto Show (Switzerland, March 6-18th, 2007) with the BMW M3 concept. As was the case with the E46 M3 Concept and E60 M5 Concept, the M3 Concept hid almost nothing of the looks of the production version, that had its world premiere on the 2007 Frankfurt Auto Show IAA (Germany, September 13 to 23rd). It was originally set to be called M4 along with 3 Series coupes and convertibles which were to become the 4 Series, but due to the interest in retaining the M3 bloodline, this was scrapped and the lineup continued as it is."

Production in Sept of 2007 is a 2008 model. Mine was built in April of 2010 and it is a 2011 model.... trackin???
get a life, the man asked about an engine noise, not year his car was built. if you don't have input towards the thread keep it to yourself.

the engine noise can be lack of lubrication to the lifters, it very common, even more so with M3's in 6MT.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2012, 12:49 AM   #101
FifthStreetz
O! So Sour!!
FifthStreetz's Avatar
United_States
193
Rep
15,559
Posts

 
Drives: Fast 240z / Slow M3
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Fort Lee, NJ

iTrader: (24)

Garage List
2008 M3  [4.75]
what do you guys think is the cause of the noise?
__________________
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2012, 12:30 PM   #102
M3PO
Colonel
M3PO's Avatar
34
Rep
2,777
Posts

 
Drives: '08 IB E92
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: OC

iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FifthStreetz View Post
what do you guys think is the cause of the noise?
I personally believe that it sounds like timing chain slap. There are valves on the hydraulic timing chain tensioners that hold in oil pressure to keep the chain tight while the engine is off. If the valves on the tensioners go bad, the oil pressure will bleed off allowing the chain to become a little loose. When the engine first starts and oil pressure is low, the chain will rattle until oil pressure builds up and reapplies pressure to the tensioners and chain.

BMW seems to agree. They are changing my timing chain tensioners as we speak. However, another member posted that this didn't solve his problem. In one case, replacing the VANOS check valves seemed to do the trick but that didn't work in another. From what I understand, there are pins on the VANOS that lock the system in place when the engine is off in which case the check valves don't come into play at start up. Again, my dealer/BMW seems to agree with this. They disabled the VANOS system (disconnected the VANOS solenoid IIRC?) and the problem was still present.

edit: I should also mention that nothing suggests that this is a bearing issue.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2012, 03:08 PM   #103
mrad01
First Lieutenant
mrad01's Avatar
New Zealand
4
Rep
327
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 BMW E90 M3
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: New Zealand

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3PO View Post
I personally believe that it sounds like timing chain slap. There are valves on the hydraulic timing chain tensioners that hold in oil pressure to keep the chain tight while the engine is off. If the valves on the tensioners go bad, the oil pressure will bleed off allowing the chain to become a little loose. When the engine first starts and oil pressure is low, the chain will rattle until oil pressure builds up and reapplies pressure to the tensioners and chain.

BMW seems to agree. They are changing my timing chain tensioners as we speak. However, another member posted that this didn't solve his problem. In one case, replacing the VANOS check valves seemed to do the trick but that didn't work in another. From what I understand, there are pins on the VANOS that lock the system in place when the engine is off in which case the check valves don't come into play at start up. Again, my dealer/BMW seems to agree with this. They disabled the VANOS system (disconnected the VANOS solenoid IIRC?) and the problem was still present.

edit: I should also mention that nothing suggests that this is a bearing issue.
It is a weird one. Before the engine was replaced in my car by BMW, they tried:

- VANOS check valve replacement
- All tensioners and belts on the front of the engine
- Cam chain and tensioners
- Bottom end bearings and crankshaft
- Front exhaust section

None worked. That was my car in particular of course - so it doesn't mean some of these ideas won't fix another.

Each time the foreman went through their next course of action with me, it sounded completely right and feasible - but never worked.

I hope they learnt was the issue was from taking apart my old engine and have formulated a plan to rid the noise in other cars in the future (should it show)
__________________
2008 BMW e90 M3 6MT

1990 BMW e30 325i 5MT
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2012, 04:16 PM   #104
M3PO
Colonel
M3PO's Avatar
34
Rep
2,777
Posts

 
Drives: '08 IB E92
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: OC

iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrad01 View Post
It is a weird one. Before the engine was replaced in my car by BMW, they tried:

- VANOS check valve replacement
- All tensioners and belts on the front of the engine
- Cam chain and tensioners
- Bottom end bearings and crankshaft
- Front exhaust section

None worked. That was my car in particular of course - so it doesn't mean some of these ideas won't fix another.

Each time the foreman went through their next course of action with me, it sounded completely right and feasible - but never worked.

I hope they learnt was the issue was from taking apart my old engine and have formulated a plan to rid the noise in other cars in the future (should it show)
I wish that was true, but sadly, I don't think it is. The are doing the tensioners on mine as we speak. Thanks for your posts BTW! The worst thing about forums is that people don't report back with the solution and/or additional details.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2012, 09:25 PM   #105
mrad01
First Lieutenant
mrad01's Avatar
New Zealand
4
Rep
327
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 BMW E90 M3
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: New Zealand

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3PO View Post
I wish that was true, but sadly, I don't think it is. The are doing the tensioners on mine as we speak. Thanks for your posts BTW! The worst thing about forums is that people don't report back with the solution and/or additional details.
I'm really keen to hear how your one goes!
__________________
2008 BMW e90 M3 6MT

1990 BMW e30 325i 5MT
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2012, 02:17 AM   #106
M3PO
Colonel
M3PO's Avatar
34
Rep
2,777
Posts

 
Drives: '08 IB E92
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: OC

iTrader: (7)

UPDATE: The dealer informed me that changing the timing chain tensioners did not solve the issue. They are going to change the VANOS units next.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2012, 03:19 AM   #107
mrad01
First Lieutenant
mrad01's Avatar
New Zealand
4
Rep
327
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 BMW E90 M3
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: New Zealand

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3PO View Post
UPDATE: The dealer informed me that changing the timing chain tensioners did not solve the issue. They are going to change the VANOS units next.
Wow, do you have a great loan car?

Same path they took with mine.
__________________
2008 BMW e90 M3 6MT

1990 BMW e30 325i 5MT
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2012, 03:22 AM   #108
M3PO
Colonel
M3PO's Avatar
34
Rep
2,777
Posts

 
Drives: '08 IB E92
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: OC

iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrad01 View Post
Wow, do you have a great loan car?

Same path they took with mine.
I have had a 2011 328i stripper for the last week. Not too bad, but I'd rather be in my ///M.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 05:57 PM   #109
M3PO
Colonel
M3PO's Avatar
34
Rep
2,777
Posts

 
Drives: '08 IB E92
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: OC

iTrader: (7)

UPDATE! Changing the VANOS units seems to have solved the issue. I let it sit for about 4 days (the longest I've ever let it sit) and I didn't hear it at all!
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 06:27 PM   #110
Mike Benvo
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Mike Benvo's Avatar
United_States
98
Rep
4,814
Posts


 
Drives: Harrop SC M3 / E46 M3 / 7Turbo
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (7)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [5.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [5.00]
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Benvo
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3PO View Post
UPDATE! Changing the VANOS units seems to have solved the issue. I let it sit for about 4 days (the longest I've ever let it sit) and I didn't hear it at all!
Yay, always nice to see a resolution that has a pinpointed cause.

The E46 m3 and e39 M5 are notorious for vanos noise especially in higher mileage - haven't heard of too many e9x M vanos issues, but it could be a matter of age/mileage.

We might hear a lot about this 5 years down the road...
__________________

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:07 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST