BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board
 
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-04-2012, 05:18 PM   #1
Nedim
Captain
Nedim's Avatar
United_States
18
Rep
712
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Des Moines, IA

iTrader: (4)

Security Cameras

Hey guys
I own a semi repair shop and I need more security. I have been looking into the surveillance cameras.

What would you guys recommend to me? I need about 3 cameras (2 outdoor and 1 indoor) and my budget is around $500-$600. I have been looking at the logitech 700e but Im not sure if it would be a good buy.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 06:01 PM   #2
E92TTKING
Lieutenant Colonel
E92TTKING's Avatar
Greece
51
Rep
1,783
Posts

 
Drives: e92
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Merica

iTrader: (8)

look at costco
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2012, 01:03 AM   #3
stylinexpat
Captain
stylinexpat's Avatar
37
Rep
814
Posts

 
Drives:
Join Date: Aug 2008

iTrader: (0)

Go here and check out ICS 8220

http://www.ipux.net/M_2.html#a01

Pretty Good IP cameras. I have seen them and they are quite good. If you have a higher budget then you can buy an AXIS IP camera. Those are really good but more money.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2012, 01:23 AM   #4
TroyDeJ
Banned
18
Rep
984
Posts

 
Drives: around aimlessly
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Long Island

iTrader: (1)

what is a semi repair shop? haha

i also worked for a company thats installs camera systems and will tell you that those costco type systems are not very good and you will be replacing them in a short time
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2012, 02:18 AM   #5
carogers86
Private First Class
carogers86's Avatar
United_States
15
Rep
156
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 335i Coupe
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyDeJ
what is a semi repair shop? haha

i also worked for a company thats installs camera systems and will tell you that those costco type systems are not very good and you will be replacing them in a short time
Semi-trucks?
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2012, 10:02 AM   #6
ABQ325i
Private First Class
ABQ325i's Avatar
United_States
2
Rep
158
Posts

 
Drives: 08 E60 535i + 06 E90 330i
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Albuquerque

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2008 535i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Samsung SDE-120n, buy on eBay though because they are cheaper there.

I use this 4 camera system at my warehouse, easy to setup and use. Picture quality is pretty good and it helped us catch a thief last month. Also has night vision on two of the cameras.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2012, 10:06 AM   #7
NYCGP
WTF are you looking at?
NYCGP's Avatar
55
Rep
1,578
Posts

 
Drives: Bandwagon
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Jungle

iTrader: (0)

I understand DIY projects and what not... but when it comes to security why wouldn't you call a couple companies and have them come in and give you quotes including equipment. After that you can decide whether or not you want to DIY or have a professional come in. You can even bounce some equipment ideas/placements off them during the process..
__________________
"It is better to be hated for what you are than loved for what you are not."
-André Gide
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2012, 11:55 AM   #8
Alpine Whiteboy
Jerry's Fault...
Alpine Whiteboy's Avatar
117
Rep
9,259
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 535xi M-Sport SGM
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Queens, N.Y.

iTrader: (1)

Hire a security guard. I know of one that is unemployed and use to work at my job:

__________________
Boopie*Motorwerks

Martino*Auto*Concepts
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2012, 01:31 PM   #9
Inspired
Colonel
Inspired's Avatar
40
Rep
2,254
Posts

 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: California

iTrader: (2)

What do people think about this camera?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pf_rd_i=507846
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2012, 07:20 PM   #10
jpsum
Major
jpsum's Avatar
United_States
47
Rep
1,089
Posts

 
Drives: 2010 TSX
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New Haven area

iTrader: (4)

Forget about cameras, get a security system! Get the Ge security Simon xt wireless system. super reliable and easy to install. Just installed one at home and had it monitored via the cellular network, so they can't cut your phone line. Cost me $300 plus $30 per month. AND I can monitor the alarm status on my phone!!!

I don't work for Ge I assure u. Lol.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2012, 08:42 PM   #11
Nedim
Captain
Nedim's Avatar
United_States
18
Rep
712
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Des Moines, IA

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinturbo335 View Post
What do people think about this camera?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pf_rd_i=507846
Thats the camera that I have been looking at. Just dont know if I should get that one.

It is a repair shop, I dont need an alarm because the thing that concerns me the most is people stealing shit inside the shop and thieves breaking in/stealing shit off the trucks outside at night. I havent had this problem before, but some fishy shit has been going on recently.

I had a professional come out and give me a quote and it was like $2000 for 3 cameras PLUS a monthly fee. So I am just seeing what my other options were.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2012, 09:23 PM   #12
immiketoo
Colonel
immiketoo's Avatar
71
Rep
2,873
Posts

 
Drives: Smoothly
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Chicago Burbs

iTrader: (0)

Logitech makes great security cameras. Make sure you get a digital recorder, and LOOK at the video before you finalize placement of cameras. Outside cameras should get the IR addition and you should make sure you can read license plates of vehicles that come at night. If you can't, re-position your cameras until you can. Night time lighting is key, and you should position your cameras so they cover all avenues of ingress, i.e. windows, doors, ventilation hatches etc.


Also, do not put interior cameras much higher than head level. Surveillance footage of the top of someone's head is useless to the police. Be creative and hide your surveillance system for greatest effect and keep your recorder out of sight and secured if possible.

Hope this helps. I've looked at countless images that do nothing but provide an accurate accounting of the date and time of how the crime was committed. Lastly, buy a system that offers online remote monitoring, alerts and the ability to capture still images.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by double eagle View Post
Thickness feels good to me and my hands aren't that big.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2012, 09:43 PM   #13
M_Six
Free Thinker
M_Six's Avatar
United_States
126
Rep
5,077
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 MB C300 4matic
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Foothills of Mt Level

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by immiketoo View Post
Logitech makes great security cameras. Make sure you get a digital recorder, and LOOK at the video before you finalize placement of cameras. Outside cameras should get the IR addition and you should make sure you can read license plates of vehicles that come at night. If you can't, re-position your cameras until you can. Night time lighting is key, and you should position your cameras so they cover all avenues of ingress, i.e. windows, doors, ventilation hatches etc.


Also, do not put interior cameras much higher than head level. Surveillance footage of the top of someone's head is useless to the police. Be creative and hide your surveillance system for greatest effect and keep your recorder out of sight and secured if possible.

Hope this helps. I've looked at countless images that do nothing but provide an accurate accounting of the date and time of how the crime was committed. Lastly, buy a system that offers online remote monitoring, alerts and the ability to capture still images.

This. I can't tell you how many hooded sweatshirts walking away I've seen. Essentially useless. Also, make sure it's full motion and not some "one-shot-per-second" shit because it'll be the time between shots that you'll need an image and won't have it.
__________________
Mark
Flickr

"I know rocks. Rocks are hard."
-T. Walter
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2012, 10:59 PM   #14
Nedim
Captain
Nedim's Avatar
United_States
18
Rep
712
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Des Moines, IA

iTrader: (4)

Thanks for all of your help guys I really appreciate it. I think I will go with 2 outdoor logitech cameras and 1 indoor. I hope its not all that complicated to install lol
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:27 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST