BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

INDustry distribution

01-04-2012, 02:06 PM   #1
Notnug
America
United_States
Rep

Drives: E92 M3

Moton Motorsport shocks or Penske Racing shocks?

Hey guys,

I have been tracking my 2011 E92 for a while and I am ready to make it a dedicated DE car/NASA racer.

I am leaning towards the Moton Motorsport shocks, but someone else mentioned the Penske racing shocks.

Anyone have any experience with these?

Any help is appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 08:20 PM   #2
JAJ
Captain
Rep

Drives: 2014 Shelby GT500

If you're actually building a race car then contact AST about AST and Moton products and Penske directly and get a recommendation from them on an authorized reseller to work with on the project. Racing shocks are expensive and high maintenance, and you'll need proper support from factory trained technicians to set them up in the first place keep them working properly.

If you're interested in looking further than those two brands, then check out Bilstein's new line of racing shocks and struts.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 09:35 PM   #3
Richard@M-World
United_States
Rep

Drives: NASA TTA #92 M3

I had Moton Motorsport 2-way as my previous set up, and it was excellent. The selling point of Moton is that it has an extremely wide range of damping adjustment. http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=409239

Penske makes top notch shocks too, but they are not too common on the E9X.

As JAJ have said, make sure that you work with a distributor who has experience and knows how to set up your car. Having race shocks with a terrible set up is like having a hot girlfriend and never go to bed with her.

One last thought. Which class in NASA are you running? This is an important consideration as well because different rule books treat single shocks, shocks with remote reservoirs, and shocks with fixed remote reservoirs differently. I run in NASA TTA now and that's why I switched to KW Competition because it does not have remote reservoirs and hence less point penalty.

Cheers.
      01-04-2012, 11:04 PM   #4
mastek
e36s54, F10M5, e70X5d
United_States
Rep

Drives: slow

Penske are more for open-wheel race cars.
Stick to AST/Moton, JRZ, KW ... and Ohlins, Sachs on the higher end
The ultimate set of 4-way shocks for our cars is for sale here:
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=626368
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2012, 09:20 AM   #5
Notnug
America
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard@M-World View Post
I had Moton Motorsport 2-way as my previous set up, and it was excellent. The selling point of Moton is that it has an extremely wide range of damping adjustment. http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=409239

Penske makes top notch shocks too, but they are not too common on the E9X.

As JAJ have said, make sure that you work with a distributor who has experience and knows how to set up your car. Having race shocks with a terrible set up is like having a hot girlfriend and never go to bed with her.

One last thought. Which class in NASA are you running? This is an important consideration as well because different rule books treat single shocks, shocks with remote reservoirs, and shocks with fixed remote reservoirs differently. I run in NASA TTA now and that's why I switched to KW Competition because it does not have remote reservoirs and hence less point penalty.

Cheers.
I am planing on running TT. Per my calculations, my M3 will be in TTS. I am doing brakes and suspension plus all of the safety mods (Cage, Fire suppression...). I feel that these two performance mods are what this car really needs. No engine mods are planned, as the V8 has enough power for me. I am interested in having a safe, fun car to better my driving skills. At this point, winning is not my number one priority. I just hope it does not bump up into TTU.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2012, 09:20 AM   #6
Richbot
Colonel
Rep

Drives: Jerez Black E90

There are TONS of penske applications for production cars. Anze is just one of many people who work with Penske dampers for production cars: www.anzesuspension.com
      01-05-2012, 11:02 AM   #7
Richard@M-World
United_States
Rep

Drives: NASA TTA #92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notnug View Post
I am planing on running TT. Per my calculations, my M3 will be in TTS. I am doing brakes and suspension plus all of the safety mods (Cage, Fire suppression...). I feel that these two performance mods are what this car really needs. No engine mods are planned, as the V8 has enough power for me. I am interested in having a safe, fun car to better my driving skills. At this point, winning is not my number one priority. I just hope it does not bump up into TTU.
Which class you end up really depends on your modifications. The 2012 rule book is out on nasaforums.com. I am also currently working on 2 TTA cars for 2012. One here: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=631217

For aftermarket shocks, NASA TT assesses them into three categories:

1) Shocks with external reservoir or more than two ranges of adjustment. +10 points
2) Shocks with piggyback external reservoir. +7 points
3) Shocks that do not have external reservoirs. +3 points

So, the question you have to ask is: performance wise, is having an external reservoir shock worth +7 points on top of a non-reservoir 2-way shock? As a reference, there is a +8 point difference between AD08 and Hoosier R6.
      01-05-2012, 11:55 AM   #8
VSmotorsports
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: e92 M3

Send a message via AIM to VSmotorsports
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notnug View Post
If winning is not your goal, I would make sure to ask yourself what you will be doing with your car in the future? Maybe once you start doing time trials you will get more competitive and want to win. I would say TTA is more of a suitable class for the E92 M3. At least in the Great lakes region you would need to run about the times of a Grand Am E92 M3 in TTS to be a front runner. Will you eventually make the change to wheel to wheel? Something like GTS-4/5?

Its better to buy something once then twice. So if wheel to wheel racing is in your future and you are not serious about being competitive in time trials, I would say go for the triple adjustable set up or better. Penske can make a set up for your car and is top of the line but Moton, Motion control, Jrz will already have kits made for your car.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2012, 01:06 PM   #9
sc_tr0jan_m3
Major
Rep

Drives: CB 2004 E46 M3

if moton's in the mix, then you should also consider MCS (Jerome & Lex's new company). i just got a set of their d/a setup for my e46m3 and i love it!
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2012, 10:37 AM   #10
Notnug
America
United_States
Rep

I ended up going with the Moton Motorsport Shocks.

I will put some photos up when things come together this spring.
Appreciate 0