BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing
 
European Auto Source
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-03-2012, 08:20 PM   #45
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
THE TECH's Avatar
 
Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Kansas

Posts: 13,065
iTrader: (44)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to THE TECH Send a message via Skype™ to THE TECH
Hmmm...just got the add a quart of oil message. Car only has 1300 miles and I haven't even had the 1200 service yet. This is a little worrisome.
__________________
THE TECH is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-03-2012, 09:11 PM   #46
BMRLVR
Grease Monkey
 
BMRLVR's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E90 M3,1994 Euro E36 M3/4
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Fort McMurray, Alberta, Canada

Posts: 2,302
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
Hmmm...just got the add a quart of oil message. Car only has 1300 miles and I haven't even had the 1200 service yet. This is a little worrisome.
Don't worry, it is not uncommon for any engine to use a bit of oil in the first 1000-2000Miles.
__________________
2011 E90 M3 ZCP - Individual Moonstone/Individual Amarone Extended/Individual Piano Black With Inlay:LINK!!!
1994 Euro E36 M3 Sedan - Daytona Violet/Mulberry:LINK!!!
BMRLVR is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      01-03-2012, 11:16 PM   #47
K-M3
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: '12 M3
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Oklahoma

Posts: 223
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
Hmmm...just got the add a quart of oil message. Car only has 1300 miles and I haven't even had the 1200 service yet. This is a little worrisome.
ummm... not worrisome at all......just get the 1200 mile service done....

sorry, didnt mean to be a smart-ass, but I guess its okay. from reading here on this forum, even if you add half a quart (which is what i have seen being recommended here rather than a full quart and then worry about an overfill), that should safely get you to the dealer for its first service....... i know I am saying this for yours, but I know i am going to be shitting pants if I get this on mine on my way back from PCD. I already have BMW dealers mapped out on the route back in case I need something......lolll!!!!!!!

and OT...... how r u liking the car otherwise??
K-M3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-03-2012, 11:21 PM   #48
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
THE TECH's Avatar
 
Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Kansas

Posts: 13,065
iTrader: (44)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to THE TECH Send a message via Skype™ to THE TECH
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-M3 View Post
ummm... not worrisome at all......just get the 1200 mile service done....

sorry, didnt mean to be a smart-ass, but I guess its okay. from reading here on this forum, even if you add half a quart (which is what i have seen being recommended here rather than a full quart and then worry about an overfill), that should safely get you to the dealer for its first service....... i know I am saying this for yours, but I know i am going to be shitting pants if I get this on mine on my way back from PCD. I already have BMW dealers mapped out on the route back in case I need something......lolll!!!!!!!

and OT...... how r u liking the car otherwise??
I was planning on just doing the half quart anyway and see where it puts me.

Car has been great so far otherwise.
__________________
THE TECH is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-12-2012, 08:19 AM   #49
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
THE TECH's Avatar
 
Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Kansas

Posts: 13,065
iTrader: (44)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to THE TECH Send a message via Skype™ to THE TECH
I think I may have excessive oil consumption on mine. In total I have had to add 2L over the 10k miles that are on the car now.
__________________
THE TECH is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-12-2012, 11:12 AM   #50
FLOSS M
///M3
 
FLOSS M's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 e92 M3
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NJ

Posts: 346
iTrader: (0)

1 quart in 29k miles
FLOSS M is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-12-2012, 05:14 PM   #51
Peahi
Captain
 
Peahi's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 M3 CPE
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: SF Bay Area

Posts: 670
iTrader: (0)

I added .5 qt x 2 and i'll be at 10k this week. 1 bottle in 10k miles. Seems reasonable.

Half a bottle put me from min to nearly max the first top off. Never dump the whole bottle guys! I carry a couple of bottles in those nifty bmw oil pouches.

Tech, of course your car burns oil, its overloaded with all those sweet mods! Jk!
__________________
Peahi is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-12-2012, 09:53 PM   #52
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
THE TECH's Avatar
 
Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Kansas

Posts: 13,065
iTrader: (44)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to THE TECH Send a message via Skype™ to THE TECH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peahi View Post
I added .5 qt x 2 and i'll be at 10k this week. 1 bottle in 10k miles. Seems reasonable.

Half a bottle put me from min to nearly max the first top off. Never dump the whole bottle guys! I carry a couple of bottles in those nifty bmw oil pouches.

Tech, of course your car burns oil, its overloaded with all those sweet mods! Jk!
HAHA!! I wish it was as simple as that.
__________________
THE TECH is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-29-2012, 07:07 PM   #53
lookitsma
Private First Class
 
Drives: BMW M3 E92 Melbourne Red
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Brooklyn, NY

Posts: 139
iTrader: (0)

I don't top off any oil either in between changes. 1000 mile per quart does sound pretty reasonable. The Porsche did it as well. Though, this engine seems to be doing just fine without any need for extra oil.
lookitsma is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-25-2012, 06:43 PM   #54
the_road_less_traveled
Id rather be boating...
 
the_road_less_traveled's Avatar
 
Drives: Baja 26 Outlaw
Join Date: May 2012
Location: the lake

Posts: 1,101
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefastman View Post
That's not normal at all. They say 15,000 mile oil changes and at that rate you would be completely dry at 1/3 of that. Your SA is a moron. My 7 series with 225,000 only burns a quart every 1200-1500.
SA and Master Tech are two completely different things FYI. Not even in same universe on knowledge level. Master Tech is just what the name implies!
the_road_less_traveled is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-25-2012, 10:21 PM   #55
Leonardo629
Major
 
Drives: 2013 M3 Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Walnut, CA

Posts: 1,201
iTrader: (9)

Also don't forget the oil cap always leak, mine does
Leonardo629 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-26-2012, 12:39 AM   #56
///M Rakete
Rocket Scientist
 
///M Rakete's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 2010 M3 Coupe
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: California

Posts: 854
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
I think I may have excessive oil consumption on mine. In total I have had to add 2L over the 10k miles that are on the car now.
BMW's SI bulletin on the subject (just read it again last night) says that for M motors 2.5 ltrs per 1,000 miles is acceptable!!!
__________________
2010 BMW M3 Coupe M-DCT w/Tech-EDC, BMW M Performance Exhaust, BPM: Stage I / Euro MDM / DCT / Steering, Space Gray / Fox Red Extended, and a Trunk Monkey known as "Der Stig", plus the daily driver...
2011 BMW 135i M Sport DCT, w/BMW Performance Power Kit, Exhaust, and Brake Rotors, Space Gray / Coral Red, known as "Stiggie" with an outlaw F20 "M135i" badge.
///M Rakete is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:08 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST