BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source

12-27-2011, 09:53 AM   #45
MKE_M3
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 2011 e90 M3

I like the hosts as they talked about how the car feels, not just spewing stats (0-60 in 4.7 seconds with DCT? uphill maybe!?!?) Too much focus in car magazines and with car enthousiests is on pure stats. Look at all the comments about the C63 vs. M3 in the thread about the Car and Driver comparison.

I actually believe it's the way a car feels and makes you feel that should drive your buying decision and leads to classic cars, not 0-60, lateral G's, etc. A great car is more than the sum of its stats, but a special way you connect with the car. I think that's why Top Gear is so popular, sure, they drag race, but not in heavily structured way, just to get a general feel of quickness. Mostly they talk about how the car feels (using unparrelleled cleverness in the auto industry).
      12-27-2011, 11:16 AM   #46
crabman
Captain

Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdemetry View Post
I like the hosts as they talked about how the car feels, not just spewing stats (0-60 in 4.7 seconds with DCT? uphill maybe!?!?) Too much focus in car magazines and with car enthousiests is on pure stats. Look at all the comments about the C63 vs. M3 in the thread about the Car and Driver comparison.

I actually believe it's the way a car feels and makes you feel that should drive your buying decision and leads to classic cars, not 0-60, lateral G's, etc. A great car is more than the sum of its stats, but a special way you connect with the car. I think that's why Top Gear is so popular, sure, they drag race, but not in heavily structured way, just to get a general feel of quickness. Mostly they talk about how the car feels (using unparrelleled cleverness in the auto industry).
Agree.
      12-27-2011, 01:01 PM   #47
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to THE TECH Send a message via Skype™ to THE TECH
After finally getting around to watching the second half of the video, I can honestly say that these guys are worthless.
      12-27-2011, 01:16 PM   #48
EverydayDriver

Drives: Depends on the Week.

Quote:
I like the hosts as they talked about how the car feels, not just spewing stats (0-60 in 4.7 seconds with DCT? uphill maybe!?!?) Too much focus in car magazines and with car enthousiests is on pure stats....

Thanks for saying this. You've hit on our approach and intention.

We know there are a million places to get stats and figures, but that rarely tells you how one car feels in relation to another. And two people driving the same car are going to feel a bit differently about the sensation... thus, our show.

The responses here have been pretty indicative of our audience. Some people really like the approach. Others don't. We acknowledge that it's not for everyone.

Oh... and most of our reviews are shot in Southern California. We do the occasional shoot in Utah as well. This one was shot around the Salt Lake City area.
      12-27-2011, 01:38 PM   #49
K-M3
Second Lieutenant

Drives: '12 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by robackja View Post
good photography, somewhat lame comments, mostly the repetitiveness between the two of them, and haven't added anything really new... This late in the game, should have maybe added more about the maintenance costs associated with owning these used? Simply saying, we love each car isn't anything new.. 95% of people who drive an E9x M3 will love it :-)
+1 to this.

and regarding the maintenance costs - not just "...what it costs to maintain a 70K car" ... thats pretty vague, something specific. Each car has its achilles heel, for eg - the E46 subframe issues, etc and such.

For auto reviews, doesn't look like a lot of due diligence was done...... plus buying an M3 - any M3 - just because its available for cheap is asking for a whole lot of trouble. My first question would be - why is it so cheap? out of warranty?? maybe something else??........ that was one of the things that put me off..... and its a little bit misleading, especially if you are the demographic that is going to have an almost DD use for your car. If you have a garage full of other wheels and need an M3 for mods and track (a.k.a project car), then buying it for cheap makes sense. But does not look like the video was oriented to that audience........

M3 enthusiasts, whether they own one or not, typically tend to be a lill more technical and detail oriented than the average car buyer (and I am not being judgemental on this front). In fact, this is true of any automobile enthusiast, no matter what make/model......
      12-27-2011, 01:40 PM   #50
K-M3
Second Lieutenant

Drives: '12 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverydayDriver View Post
Glad you guys found the video. Pleased to hear that some of you enjoyed it, and we don't expect to please everyone.

We've been at this a while and will acknowledge that our style is not for everyone. But you hit it on the head when you said we're trying to be laid back and approachable - there are too many rolling-brochure videos out there.

Having said that....

What makes us Tools? And how are you able to comment on our intelligence?

No matter what, we do appreciate you watching.

, oh I will watch any M3 video that comes out....... in fact if you do a repeat comparo using MT's for these two generations, I'll watch that too.... I may or may not like it and I'll say it as such, but I'll sure watch it..... a testament to the M3 I guess........ I just love this car........

Last edited by K-M3; 12-27-2011 at 01:47 PM.
      12-27-2011, 01:49 PM   #51
FrenchBoy
onehotlap.com contributor

Drives: '09 E90 M3

Quote:

+1. Nice reviews paired with nice shots. I really liked how the hosts actually seem to have driven the cars extensively to give valuable and objective feedback. As an E90 M3 driver, I can relate to all the comments from the car review.

Good job guys!

2009 E90 M3 | SG | FR | 6Speed | Akrapovic Evo | JRZ RS1 | StopTech Trophy | Cantrell Brake Ducts

Last edited by FrenchBoy; 12-27-2011 at 10:06 PM.
FrenchBoy is online now   France
      12-27-2011, 05:19 PM   #52
coogs08
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2009 M3

nice video...How I wish I had roads like that to drive on around here...
      12-27-2011, 09:24 PM   #53
SD-E93-11
First Lieutenant

Drives: 2011 E93 M3 Jerez Black/Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-M3 View Post

and regarding the maintenance costs - not just "...what it costs to maintain a 70K car" ... thats pretty vague, something specific. Each car has its achilles heel, for eg - the E46 subframe issues, etc and such.
And what would the Achilles heel of the e9x m3 be? not saying it won't develop one, but it hasn't been widely recognized as of yet...so their general comment about the $70k car was pretty much the most accurate info that can be provided at this time.
SD-E93-11 is offline   United_States
      12-27-2011, 09:28 PM   #54
Sedan_Clan
Banned

Drives: '14 335i(prev.IB,AW M3's & X5)

I just think that it's a rather silly comparison. Both make great daily drivers!
Sedan_Clan is offline   Brazil
      12-27-2011, 10:06 PM   #55
dexx
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 05 LGT w/AVO380, '11 M3 ZCP

"organic machine feel". Right...
      12-28-2011, 09:37 AM   #56
Brn2Drive

Drives: E90 M3

Nice video. The one thing that confused me is that the E90 in the video is clearly a later model because it has the competition package. No way could that car be purchased for $40k. I mean it had speed cloth and no nav but still...