BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

12-27-2011, 03:50 PM   #1
808@702
7th BMW, 500th Surfboard

Drives: My girlfriends crazy!

Long time to warm up, short time to cool down

My car seems to take a very long time (15 minutes) to warm up to running temp, then hardly takes any time to completely cool down. I know its not a problem. My previous 1 series and 3 series didnt even come close to warm up/ cool down times. Any thoughts? And why is it that I always run into some ahole who wants to race when my car isnt warmed up yet?
      12-27-2011, 05:27 PM   #2
Titanium Silver
Four Star General

Drives: E92 M3

It's metal, oil, and heat. Not much you can do about it.

P.S. Don't race people when your engine is cold. I care way more about my engine than impressing some loser who wants to race. Most of the time I find that people looking to race have slower cars than mine anyways. Even if their car is faster... who cares?

E92 M3 | Jet Black | All OEM Everything
      12-27-2011, 06:00 PM   #3
Michaeljh2000
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2009 M3, 69 Vette, GSXR 1000

The S65 is holding 9 quarts of oil so it will take longer to warm up than most. Although you can start and go, I usually wait a few minutes before driving away.
Michaeljh2000 is offline   United_States
      12-27-2011, 06:05 PM   #4
gatorfast
Colonel

Drives: MR E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaeljh2000 View Post
The S65 is holding 9 quarts of oil so it will take longer to warm up than most. Although you can start and go, I usually wait a few minutes before driving away.
So you just start the car and sit there? Just staring out the window? Why?

Doesn't the owners manual specifically state that its best to start and go and not let ti sit...
      12-27-2011, 06:17 PM   #5
Mr. ///M3 RD
Major General

Drives: E350 & 280 SL on Weekends :)

Garage List
I pull out of the garage close the garage door and put my seatbelt on ... there is 1 minute ... pull out from the driveway and slow down the residential street never exceeding 50 KM/h (~30 MPH). then there is a traffic light ... by the time it is green 5 to 6 minutes are gone. After that in any direction speed limit is 70 to 80 KM/Hr. I do this in never exceeding 3,000 RPM. After 10 KM (~ 6 Miles) my engine is warm and the oil level is normal.

re: raising ... I just smile at the would be raisers and let them go ... I know what I'm driving and so do they ... they must feel foolish after roaring down the street seeing I did not fall for there shenanigans ...

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Mr. ///M3 RD is offline   Canada
      12-27-2011, 06:35 PM   #6
Michaeljh2000
Second Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
So you just start the car and sit there? Just staring out the window? Why?

Doesn't the owners manual specifically state that its best to start and go and not let ti sit...
LOL.. I guess so and yes the manual does state to start and go. Being in a colder climate, I guess I'm conditioned to allowing my cars warm up a bit when its freezing out. Also, I've noticed that the engine does run more smoothly if I allow it to warm up.

Why is it recommended that the engine is not allowed to warm up? And, how is it any different if your caught traffic jam where your just idling along? Just curious.

One more thing: When I do pull away, I go through several traffic lights before hitting the beltway, about 5 minutes of stop and go under 2500 RPM.
      12-27-2011, 06:39 PM   #7
gatorfast
Colonel

Drives: MR E90 M3

Quote:
Why is it recommended that the engine is not allowed to warm up? And, how is it any different if your caught traffic jam where your just idling along? Just curious.
Its not the engine is not allowed to warm up - its that it gives the entire car a chance to warm up at the same time (i.e. transmission, tires, etc.) which is what is recommended. This is only for a cold start...if you are sitting in traffic chances are your car is already warmed up.
      12-27-2011, 06:42 PM   #8
aajami
Brigadier General

Drives: Space Gray '09 E92 M3

I know this has been discussed a million times on this and many other car forums. I always wait until the cold start sequence is finished before driving off, which usually takes around 20-30 seconds. There's something very unnatural about driving off immediately after startup -- have always waited for that cold start sequence to do its thing on my previous cars too.
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | 240J ECU flash | LCI Euro taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem
aajami is offline   United_States
      12-27-2011, 06:51 PM   #9
Michaeljh2000
Second Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
Its not the engine is not allowed to warm up - its that it gives the entire car a chance to warm up at the same time (i.e. transmission, tires, etc.) which is what is recommended. This is only for a cold start...if you are sitting in traffic chances are your car is already warmed up.
Entire car, when its sitting still? The only things warming up are the engine and everything directly connected to it such as the transmission and exhaust. The tires, suspension and other moving parts aren't warming up at this stage.

Your explanation does not make a whole lot of sense to me. I'm thinking the reason for not allowing the car to warm up has more to do with emissions/carbon build-up or something similar.
      12-27-2011, 06:55 PM   #10
Michaeljh2000
Second Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by aajami View Post
There's something very unnatural about driving off immediately after startup -- have always waited for that cold start sequence to do its thing on my previous cars too.
Agreed. I always wait until at least the idle goes to normal.
      12-27-2011, 08:00 PM   #11
gambitx28
shop smart, shop s-mart

Drives: 2008 E90 M3

To me this means the engine as a thermal system is really good at losing heat. There's probably many factors, but 9 US qts of oil, the oil cooler and an aluminum engine block all contribute to carrying heat away from the engine.

For the type of driving the car is designed to do, that's a good thing!
      12-27-2011, 08:13 PM   #12
persian54
Lieutenant General

Drives: SL550. Prev: E93 M3/335i/Z435i

Quote:
Entire car, when its sitting still? The only things warming up are the engine and everything directly connected to it such as the transmission and exhaust. The tires, suspension and other moving parts aren't warming up at this stage.

Your explanation does not make a whole lot of sense to me. I'm thinking the reason for not allowing the car to warm up has more to do with emissions/carbon build-up or something similar.
When you start driving (after the 20-30 secs cold start thing where the rpm is over 1k) off, everything gets to warm up together.

Ever wonder why your car is louder on cold starts? the car is warming up the cats. If you start driving, it'll help warm everything up together.

It's a bitttttt different when you don't have primary cats though...but then your car gets pretty damn loud lol.
persian54 is offline   United_States
      12-27-2011, 09:31 PM   #13
SchnellM3
Digger

Drives: 03 E46 M3, 09 E92 M3, 09 X6 50

Garage List
Our car has 9 quarts of thick oil what do you expect? Just take a easy on her for a couple of minuets. Its like a women when you wake her up, then your stuck waiting for things to get warmed up before the fun starts...

Or you could install a engine block heater like I have installed in the Diesel Super Duty. Then you can plug it in everywhere you go

Full Innotech Exhaust - DINAN Intake - IND Engine Bay Appearance - IND Hand Stitched Boot Covers - and much more....
SchnellM3 is offline   United_States
      12-27-2011, 09:32 PM   #14
donovan
Brigadier General

Drives: E92 m3 AW, light package

You are suppose to warm the engine up by driving under a load on the engine...not let it SIT there and warm up. Manual? Read it.

e46 m3 Black
Too many mods
donovan is offline   Germany
      12-27-2011, 11:22 PM   #15
M3maniac20
Captain

Drives: 2011 M3 Coupe ZCP

I've noticed the same thing going on. It's interesting. Like others, I start the car and await about a minute or 2 until the metallic sound goes away. Then i'm driving on back roads for about 8 mins until I get to the highway. Then I'm usually good to start driving fast.
      12-28-2011, 12:16 AM   #16
Mike van D
Major

Drives: SG X6 35i; MW e92 M3

Same here, let the cold start sequence finish then roll out...usually warm within about 5 mins.