BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EclipsisNA

12-27-2011, 06:09 PM   #23
gatorfast
Colonel

Drives: MR E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd1981 View Post
So what do you think a reasonable price is on say a 2008 with 40,000 miles?
Just do some research man. Autotrader, ebay, cars.com, classified section on this site, etc etc. Log on and start monitoring prices and then you can determine whats reasonable for the car you are looking for.
      12-27-2011, 06:32 PM   #24
Mr. ///M3 RD
Major General

Drives: E350 & 280 SL on Weekends :)

Garage List
Having not read any of the replies my recommendations are 2 fold

1) Private purchase; ... make sure all inspection records are at hand. Insist that the car be inspected at a local BMW dealership. While being inspected tell the SA you be planning to purchase extended warranty (even if you don't intend to do this, by letting him know he will make sure the car is properly inspected). The inspection report will tell you what may need attention in the forceable future. In addition it will give you the tools to a good process of price negotiation. It be in the private sellers best interest to have the inspection done and pay for it (see my PS below).

2) Dealer Purchase; ... Here apply the same rule insist to see all the inspection documents for the car in hard copy. The inspection reports will basically tell you if some major parts needed replacement ... thus it will tell you if the car has seen much track time (the track is hard on the car and examining the inspection reports will shed some light on this). Ask about extended warranty. Do expect to pay more for the car then a private deal as you well know I'm sure.

Good Luck!

PS. In 2010 I sold my 2002 e46 M3 (had 92,000 KM) my asking price was $25K firm. I did this after having the car inspected, a rear spring was changed and some other small details ... along with the total inspection it cost me ~$1000- I did get my asking price for the car without any haggling.

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Mr. ///M3 RD is offline   Canada
      12-27-2011, 10:50 PM   #25
dd1981
Kapetan Svog Života

Drives: 2012 335i sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaeljh2000 View Post
As your discovering, it's not that simple. A lot will depend on availability and market price for your area. Also, various options, in addition to mileage can significantly affect price. Check out what 2008 M3's are going for on Autotrader and Cars.com in your city. There's a reason why the dealership, that's 200 miles away isn't selling wholesale. They don't have to. It's in their best interest to sell it locally for more money. You may have to drive for hours to find what you want or have the car shipped. Either way, you need to do some more research.
Thank you. All you mention is much appreciated. And yes i have to keep searching. Its been a frustrating 6 months looking for "that one" car.

The details on the car are as follows:

2008 black 6 speed 46,000 miles
Asking $39,900
It does have i drive. Pretty much all options. The only thing it doesnt have is the 19inch wheels, power shad.

Im fairly certain its not a cpo. Like I said I had my friend that works for BMW call and they won't even return his calls for details. Seems like too much trouble I'll just move on to another car.