BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications
 
Strasse Wheels
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-21-2011, 03:16 PM   #67
Longbow64
_______
Longbow64's Avatar
63
Rep
1,046
Posts

Drives: 15 M3, 13 X3 35i MSport
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Orlando

iTrader: (4)

That is correct. As far as I'm tracking standard windshield wiper fluid is 30% meth, 70% distilled water with some soapy "stuff" in it. The meth for the engine is 70% meth, 30% distilled water and no soapy "stuff" in it. It dries fast and is a little streaky, but works in a pinch.
__________________
'13 35i M-Sport X3 | JB4 Stage 1 | BMS Intake | H&R Springs | Gloss black grill | CF Wrap and Coded by me | Recaro Child Seats
'15 M3 DCT AW/SO | JB Stage 1 | RKP Diffuser | P3 | M Perf Spoiler | iND Exterior Trim | Recaro Child Seat
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 06:23 PM   #68
MaxL
Captain
Canada
21
Rep
956
Posts

Drives: E90 M3, Cayenne T, 991 GT3
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bay Area

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapopa9 View Post
I think this setup uses the Windshield Fluid reservoir to store the Methanol that is used in the system. However you can still use windshield fluid function of the car to clean your windows only now it will be spraying methanol on your windshield and not the regular windshield fluid you are accustomed to. My understanding is that spraying the methanol on the windshield is still safe and will still clean the windshield.

basically the reservoir now has dual functionality
This sounds like a potential issue. I noticed that washer fluid often gets low after a track session without using the washer, and some of my friends noticed similar issue, so it appears that the fluid either evaporates due to high temps under hood or leaks out somehow. I would not want that to happen to meth during a track session.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2011, 02:28 AM   #69
Bluesummer
Lieutenant General
Bluesummer's Avatar
Taiwan
188
Rep
15,427
Posts

Drives: slower than Ayrton Senna
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Nürburgring, be there once, your heart, your soul will stay there.

iTrader: (13)

Garage List
2015 M4  [0.00]
2011 E82 135  [0.00]
2011 M3  [0.00]
2007 335  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dapopa9 View Post
I think this setup uses the Windshield Fluid reservoir to store the Methanol that is used in the system. However you can still use windshield fluid function of the car to clean your windows only now it will be spraying methanol on your windshield and not the regular windshield fluid you are accustomed to. My understanding is that spraying the methanol on the windshield is still safe and will still clean the windshield.

basically the reservoir now has dual functionality
cleaning your windshield with methanol
__________________

R.I.P. Steve Noh
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2011, 02:43 AM   #70
TMR
Colonel
TMR's Avatar
United_States
69
Rep
2,966
Posts

Drives: M3
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Torrance

iTrader: (11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesummer View Post
cleaning your windshield with methanol
It works pretty good!
__________________
2015 M3 BPM Tuned, Eibach, Magnaflow and more www.tmrmzine.com/m3/f80
SOLD E92 Slēk Carbon Fiber Widebody M3 www.tmrmzine.com/m3/slek/
SOLD E92 335i Stage 3+ with all the toys www.tmrmzine.com/335/
SOLD E39 M5 Modded, What a great car! www.tmrmzine.com/m5/
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2011, 05:10 AM   #71
M3ryder55
Major
34
Rep
1,115
Posts

Drives: 15' MW/SO ETA August
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chatsworth, CA

iTrader: (2)

this thing put down 397whp.. imagine a stage 2 intake, pulley, and catless.. great gains! this thing has potential to be in the mid 4's to the wheels. pretty damn great gains for non FI. great work. lemme let all ur others experiment w/ this for awhile before i jump on.

how safe is this? doesn't seem to bad, because whats happening is basic chemistry and it seems like it would benefit the car more than harm it.. engine runs cooler, and octane at combustion is boosted. we especially need something like that on the west coast, w/ our supreme pump gas being 91 which is garbo. but maybe its too good to be true? It definitely seems safe and promising but whats the danger down the road if any?
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2011, 11:20 AM   #72
Longbow64
_______
Longbow64's Avatar
63
Rep
1,046
Posts

Drives: 15 M3, 13 X3 35i MSport
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Orlando

iTrader: (4)

I would say the only downside is a reliance on a stocked supply of meth and it's a tough habit to kick. This unit is going to really shine when paired with the VT535 non intercooler supercharger kit. Someone with that setup needs to contact Shiv and work out an install.
__________________
'13 35i M-Sport X3 | JB4 Stage 1 | BMS Intake | H&R Springs | Gloss black grill | CF Wrap and Coded by me | Recaro Child Seats
'15 M3 DCT AW/SO | JB Stage 1 | RKP Diffuser | P3 | M Perf Spoiler | iND Exterior Trim | Recaro Child Seat
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2011, 04:02 PM   #73
TMR
Colonel
TMR's Avatar
United_States
69
Rep
2,966
Posts

Drives: M3
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Torrance

iTrader: (11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3ryder55 View Post
this thing put down 397whp.. imagine a stage 2 intake, pulley, and catless.. great gains! this thing has potential to be in the mid 4's to the wheels. pretty damn great gains for non FI. great work. lemme let all ur others experiment w/ this for awhile before i jump on.

how safe is this? doesn't seem to bad, because whats happening is basic chemistry and it seems like it would benefit the car more than harm it.. engine runs cooler, and octane at combustion is boosted. we especially need something like that on the west coast, w/ our supreme pump gas being 91 which is garbo. but maybe its too good to be true? It definitely seems safe and promising but whats the danger down the road if any?
I don't see any danger down the road. The car feel so much smoother when the meth flows. And if it runs out, you are on a stock tune.
__________________
2015 M3 BPM Tuned, Eibach, Magnaflow and more www.tmrmzine.com/m3/f80
SOLD E92 Slēk Carbon Fiber Widebody M3 www.tmrmzine.com/m3/slek/
SOLD E92 335i Stage 3+ with all the toys www.tmrmzine.com/335/
SOLD E39 M5 Modded, What a great car! www.tmrmzine.com/m5/
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2011, 03:07 AM   #74
Bluesummer
Lieutenant General
Bluesummer's Avatar
Taiwan
188
Rep
15,427
Posts

Drives: slower than Ayrton Senna
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Nürburgring, be there once, your heart, your soul will stay there.

iTrader: (13)

Garage List
2015 M4  [0.00]
2011 E82 135  [0.00]
2011 M3  [0.00]
2007 335  [0.00]
I would assume this procede has the autotune feature like all other ones? i.e. when you DO mix some 100 oct. in there, it gets even more fun?
__________________

R.I.P. Steve Noh
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2011, 02:06 PM   #75
Salna
Private
1
Rep
59
Posts

Drives: 08 e90 M3
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Chicago, IL

iTrader: (0)

Eagerly awaiting details on this as well, sounds sweet. Details for a happy New Year?
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2011, 02:30 PM   #76
Longbow64
_______
Longbow64's Avatar
63
Rep
1,046
Posts

Drives: 15 M3, 13 X3 35i MSport
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Orlando

iTrader: (4)

The M3 maps do not have an autotune feature. The specific tunes allows for a more aggressive tune. Running race gas won't cause any issues and you'll still see gains, just not as much as running a race gas specific map. You could adjust Map 2 or 3 as a race gas map accordingly.
__________________
'13 35i M-Sport X3 | JB4 Stage 1 | BMS Intake | H&R Springs | Gloss black grill | CF Wrap and Coded by me | Recaro Child Seats
'15 M3 DCT AW/SO | JB Stage 1 | RKP Diffuser | P3 | M Perf Spoiler | iND Exterior Trim | Recaro Child Seat
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2011, 07:23 AM   #77
Bluesummer
Lieutenant General
Bluesummer's Avatar
Taiwan
188
Rep
15,427
Posts

Drives: slower than Ayrton Senna
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Nürburgring, be there once, your heart, your soul will stay there.

iTrader: (13)

Garage List
2015 M4  [0.00]
2011 E82 135  [0.00]
2011 M3  [0.00]
2007 335  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longbow64 View Post
The M3 maps do not have an autotune feature. The specific tunes allows for a more aggressive tune. Running race gas won't cause any issues and you'll still see gains, just not as much as running a race gas specific map. You could adjust Map 2 or 3 as a race gas map accordingly.
Thanks for the update
__________________

R.I.P. Steve Noh
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2015, 12:30 PM   #78
FRajput
New Member
FRajput's Avatar
United_States
2
Rep
7
Posts

Drives: 2011 BMW E93 M3 - 6MT
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: United States

iTrader: (0)

Hi,

Sorry to revive a dead thread but I just purchased my E93 M3 a few months ago and have just installed a snow meth kit for high comp NA motors. Mind if I see some pics of where you placed the nozzle exactly? Or does it just spray right into the filter?

I was told to put it after the MAF, but there is legit no room except in the manifold (which I'd like to avoid for obvious reasons). So I ran it through a hole in the filter and am essentially letting it dangle for the time being. Let me know if the meth if effectively getting in the motor or if your filter is just getting wet. Also is your MAF throwing codes or is that ok as well?

Thanks man!
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2015, 12:36 PM   #79
Shredicus
Lieutenant
Shredicus's Avatar
United_States
36
Rep
445
Posts

Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Palm Desert

iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRajput View Post
Hi,

Sorry to revive a dead thread but I just purchased my E93 M3 a few months ago and have just installed a snow meth kit for high comp NA motors. Mind if I see some pics of where you placed the nozzle exactly? Or does it just spray right into the filter?

I was told to put it after the MAF, but there is legit no room except in the manifold (which I'd like to avoid for obvious reasons). So I ran it through a hole in the filter and am essentially letting it dangle for the time being. Let me know if the meth if effectively getting in the motor or if your filter is just getting wet. Also is your MAF throwing codes or is that ok as well?

Thanks man!
Don't have a MAF, we use MAP/alpha-n.

"From front to rear, the entire flow of intake air in the new eight-cylinder power unit does not require the usual hot-film air mass flow meter with its obligatory sensors. Instead of determining engine load by means of such elaborate sensors, therefore, which would also create disadvantages in air guidance due to the geometry of the components involved, the V8 power unit of the new BMW M3 uses the engine control unit to perform this function. To do this, the system determines engine load under current driving conditions by taking the position of the throttle butterfly and idle adjuster, the position of the VANOS control unit, engine speed, air temperature and air pressure into account. This, in turn, gives the engineers at BMW M GmbH new freedom in the configuration and optimisation of the engine air intake process. And at the same time this management concept operates with maximum reliability." -- BMW press release 3/22/07
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2015, 12:46 PM   #80
FRajput
New Member
FRajput's Avatar
United_States
2
Rep
7
Posts

Drives: 2011 BMW E93 M3 - 6MT
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: United States

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredicus View Post
Don't have a MAF, we use MAP/alpha-n.

"From front to rear, the entire flow of intake air in the new eight-cylinder power unit does not require the usual hot-film air mass flow meter with its obligatory sensors. Instead of determining engine load by means of such elaborate sensors, therefore, which would also create disadvantages in air guidance due to the geometry of the components involved, the V8 power unit of the new BMW M3 uses the engine control unit to perform this function. To do this, the system determines engine load under current driving conditions by taking the position of the throttle butterfly and idle adjuster, the position of the VANOS control unit, engine speed, air temperature and air pressure into account. This, in turn, gives the engineers at BMW M GmbH new freedom in the configuration and optimisation of the engine air intake process. And at the same time this management concept operates with maximum reliability." -- BMW press release 3/22/07

OH WOW I feel stupid. Thanks so much man. This is the first car that I myself have bought and am absolutely terrified with this euro technology

So will the Meth screw up the sensor before the plenum or throw codes?
__________________
2011 E93 BMW M3 6MT ... My First Euro ... Straight Piped ... Meth Injection ...
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2015, 12:49 PM   #81
Hujan
Colonel
United_States
58
Rep
2,505
Posts

Drives: 2013 E92 M3; 2010 Z4 35i
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: San Diego, CA

iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRajput View Post
OH WOW I feel stupid. Thanks so much man. This is the first car that I myself have bought and am absolutely terrified with this euro technology

So will the Meth screw up the sensor before the plenum or throw codes?
Not sure what sensor you're referring to. If you're referring to the corrugated plastic hose that plugs into the intake elbow, that is the PCV hose that plumbs crankcase gases back into the intake tract. There's nothing to worry about there from a meth standpoint.
__________________
E92 M3: BPM Sport Stg. 2 | Akrapovic Evolution | Brembo GT 380/380 | Ohlins R&T w/ Vorshlag CPs | RD Sport ARBs | BBS FIs 18"

E89 Z4 35i: Cobb Stg. 1+ | Evolution Racewerks FMIC | Tial BOV
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2015, 12:52 PM   #82
Shredicus
Lieutenant
Shredicus's Avatar
United_States
36
Rep
445
Posts

Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Palm Desert

iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRajput View Post
OH WOW I feel stupid. Thanks so much man. This is the first car that I myself have bought and am absolutely terrified with this euro technology

So will the Meth screw up the sensor before the plenum or throw codes?
Haha no worries.
I don't believe there is a sensor before the plenum. That being said nozzle placement can be tricky so I'll let someone more experienced chime in on that.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2015, 01:03 PM   #83
FRajput
New Member
FRajput's Avatar
United_States
2
Rep
7
Posts

Drives: 2011 BMW E93 M3 - 6MT
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: United States

iTrader: (0)

Thank you guys so much. Time to drill a hole
__________________
2011 E93 BMW M3 6MT ... My First Euro ... Straight Piped ... Meth Injection ...
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2015, 02:51 PM   #84
pbonsalb
Colonel
38
Rep
2,071
Posts

Drives: 08 E90 M3, 99 E36 M3 Turbo
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Concord, NH

iTrader: (3)

I run 2 nozzles screwed into the end of the air filter. The Vishnu Procede is tuned for the meth (timing increases and some of the fuel is taken out to compensate for the meth that is added) and has built in safeguards. You should still see a little benefit with the snow as long as you do not end up running too rich
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2015, 09:02 PM   #85
MFL
Captain
43
Rep
950
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Bellevue, WA

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
1998 BMW M3  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [0.00]
2011 E92 M3 ZCP  [0.00]
I'll stick with Ethanol

I actually bought TMR's kit, I was just never able to get it working and I never bothered sending it into Vishnu (who was really willing to help), so I bagged this thing up and have no idea where it is in my garage.

I believe Vishnu installed a lot of these by himself. He provides no wiring diagram and the install instructions are complete shit. If you can make it work, this kit would be great for NA/Non-intercooled supercharger applications.

If anyone wants to succeed where I have failed, PM me, I'll give you a great deal.

Ultimately, I went the ethanol route and have zero regrets.
__________________
Everyone is an M3 driving big shot until the bar tab comes or if it's time to buy a nice set of used wheels.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2015, 09:46 PM   #86
pbonsalb
Colonel
38
Rep
2,071
Posts

Drives: 08 E90 M3, 99 E36 M3 Turbo
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Concord, NH

iTrader: (3)

E85 is great if available in the areas you drive. Nearest station is an hour away for me so that is not practical.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2015, 10:04 PM   #87
whats77inaname
Native Texan
United_States
103
Rep
2,304
Posts

Drives: when at all possible
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Tx

iTrader: (18)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFL View Post
I believe Vishnu installed a lot of these by himself. He provides no wiring diagram and the install instructions are complete shit. If you can make it work, this kit would be great for NA/Non-intercooled supercharger applications.
The instructions on the website are accurate, I was able to use them and install it. But it will require some help from them b/c no matter what I tried, there were some "issues" with kit. Unfortunately, the person who sold me the kit never mentioned those, but in looking at some of the seller's conversations about it, and talking to Benvo, there were some issues he couldn't resolve, which is why he sold it. I'll be working diligently with Vishnu this summer so that the kit will be 100%, but I'm making a few changes to address what I feel are some shortcomings, as well.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2015, 11:07 PM   #88
MFL
Captain
43
Rep
950
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Bellevue, WA

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
1998 BMW M3  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [0.00]
2011 E92 M3 ZCP  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by whats77inaname View Post
The instructions on the website are accurate, I was able to use them and install it. But it will require some help from them b/c no matter what I tried, there were some "issues" with kit. Unfortunately, the person who sold me the kit never mentioned those, but in looking at some of the seller's conversations about it, and talking to Benvo, there were some issues he couldn't resolve, which is why he sold it. I'll be working diligently with Vishnu this summer so that the kit will be 100%, but I'm making a few changes to address what I feel are some shortcomings, as well.
I'd start with a wiring diagram and go from there. The kit I had was kinda of beta/hack up made to work and the instructions were about as helpful as a cock punch.
__________________
Everyone is an M3 driving big shot until the bar tab comes or if it's time to buy a nice set of used wheels.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:11 PM.




m3post
m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST