BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

GetBMWParts

12-21-2011, 01:10 PM   #23
M3PO
Colonel

Drives: '08 IB E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead999s View Post
They will seat under partial load but it will take a longer period to accomplish the task.When I worked in a race engine shop many years ago you could watch the blow bye diminish in volume as you loaded the engine on the dyno in the 1st 20 minutes of running.If the rings did not seat in this period you usually had a problem to deal with later on.The rings are the only item that needs to brake in on a modern engine.Every other rotating item runs in an oil film and should never touch anything else if it is assembled & engineered properly.

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm
Okay, thanks, that's what I figured. Can you give me some more details on how you ran the engines in on the dyno? Periods of full load? Continually varying the load? Length of time at each load?
      12-21-2011, 01:59 PM   #24
chuxdelux
Captain

Drives: 2005 e46 m3, 2013 Jetta TDI

Quote:
100% throttle & full RPM for short periods when fully warmed up and 1st trackday after the 1st service at 1900 kms.Did the same thing to my 02 E46 M3 and my 08 E92 M3 with no engine issues on them or any other vehicles that I have driven in the last 41 years.The engine needs full load to seat the rings as soon as possable.By the time you get the car from the dealer the engine has already had ample running time to worry about the initial break in.These break in instruction are more for liability concerns than any mechanical reason.I have always had very low oil consumption on all the M's that I have owned.
Exactly
Quote:
They will seat under partial load but it will take a longer period to accomplish the task.When I worked in a race engine shop many years ago you could watch the blow bye diminish in volume as you loaded the engine on the dyno in the 1st 20 minutes of running.If the rings did not seat in this period you usually had a problem to deal with later on.The rings are the only item that needs to brake in on a modern engine.Every other rotating item runs in an oil film and should never touch anything else if it is assembled & engineered properly.

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm
Im glad someone finally put this link up, I see this topic everyday. Not to mention the fact that these engines have prob been run WOT before it was even placed in the car. Im not one for beating the hell out of a brand spanking new car, but its not like its gonna blow up if you don't follow the break in procedures. I also understand the ramifications if you don't break in the car "properly" and you have a engine problem later down the road. Lastly, as far as diminishing the service life of the engine...most not all, people will get rid of their M cars after the 50k warranty is up.
      12-21-2011, 02:07 PM   #25
Gearhead999s
Major General

Drives: E93 335is(wifes)E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3PO View Post
Okay, thanks, that's what I figured. Can you give me some more details on how you ran the engines in on the dyno? Periods of full load? Continually varying the load? Length of time at each load?
An engine of 10000 rpm limit we would run for 10 minutes to get full temps at 3000 with a mild load and once at temp a few pulls to consecutive higher engine speeds and loads till at the 20 minute we run the full throttle power runs to verify the power.If everything was right they would have about 45 minutes of running before being ready to race after checking the valve lash and other settings.
      12-21-2011, 03:22 PM   #26
GIdriver
Major

Drives: 2011 SG/FR E90 M3 DCT

This is going to be a good one...
GIdriver is offline   United_States
      12-21-2011, 03:26 PM   #27
GIdriver
Major

Drives: 2011 SG/FR E90 M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbar View Post