BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board
 
INDustry distribution
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-22-2011, 01:15 PM   #23
TotalPower
Lieutenant
9

 
Drives: 2011 335is Vert AW
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: San Diego


Posts: 470
iTrader: (0)

SCUBA is great-especially when you have a buddy to go with. I've gone diving in Hawaii, Caribbean, Mexico, San Diego, CA,...never done a lake...always ocean. Boat diving is where it's at!
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2011, 01:31 PM   #24
matthewk
Private First Class
United_States
4

 
matthewk's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: TX


Posts: 110
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TotalPower View Post
SCUBA is great-especially when you have a buddy to go with. I've gone diving in Hawaii, Caribbean, Mexico, San Diego, CA,...never done a lake...always ocean. Boat diving is where it's at!
????

Have you done any shore diving? Bonaire, Cruacao and Cayman are AWESOME places to just walk into the water. Boat diving isn't always where it's at.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2011, 01:37 PM   #25
ragingclue
One cam is enough
83

 
ragingclue's Avatar
 
Drives: VF
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: mulletville


Posts: 6,810
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewk View Post
????

Have you done any shore diving? Bonaire, Cruacao and Cayman are AWESOME places to just walk into the water. Boat diving isn't always where it's at.
+1

Same in Oki. The best diving I did there was shore-based.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2011, 07:13 PM   #26
TotalPower
Lieutenant
9

 
Drives: 2011 335is Vert AW
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: San Diego


Posts: 470
iTrader: (0)

I've done some shore diving La jolla, ca and in the carribean- i just hate having to swim out....it's nice to just plop down, and have the boat pick you up when you're done
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2011, 08:55 AM   #27
MDamman23011
Private First Class
3

 
MDamman23011's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 BMW 335xi
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Michigan


Posts: 194
iTrader: (6)

well i finished my pool dives and exam so now I am ready to go ahead and do the open water testing which will be done down in the keys but not until March now due to my family situation that will be going on until then. So pumped to go down there and finish it. I have been taking everybody's advice and me and my dad and brothers are going to start looking around for great vacation places over Christmas break. Thank you for the great ideas.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2011, 10:28 AM   #28
drewh130
Private First Class
2

 
Drives: AW 135i vert
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Atlanta


Posts: 162
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewk View Post
????

Have you done any shore diving? Bonaire, Cruacao and Cayman are AWESOME places to just walk into the water. Boat diving isn't always where it's at.
Oahu is also a great place for shore dives...done about 50-60 on the North Shore and west side alone
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2011, 12:02 PM   #29
Strongbark
Brigadier General
No_Country
86

 
Strongbark's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 M4 on order
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Earth


Posts: 3,678
iTrader: (1)

OK, I'll ask....any shark (reef & nurse sharks need not apply) encounters or other hairy moments you guys care to share? The deep sea intrigues me yet there's still so much we don't even know yet.
__________________
Strongbark

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic32890_2.gif
'13 Mini GP #485 of 500 For Sale
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2011, 12:12 PM   #30
The Ghost of Tom Joad
Banned
No_Country
1

 
Drives: B744
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Up In The Air


Posts: 50
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuned1 View Post
OK, I'll ask....any shark (reef & nurse sharks need not apply) encounters or other hairy moments you guys care to share? The deep sea intrigues me yet there's still so much we don't even know yet.
i wouldn't call shark encounters 'hairy moments'. they're pretty harmless and will just check you out and keep moving most of the time. you rarely ever hear stories of shark biting divers. nurse sharks are mostly docile and just sit on the bottom motionless. reefs are a bit more active, but like i said, usually just check you out and swim on by. even seeing a shark active during the day is pretty rare at most dive sites anyway.

i'm more concerned with barracuda personally. those guys really like to get up close and personal. those teeth in your face don't play! they're way more likely to take a nip at you than a shark. my first night dive on the vandenberg was pretty much dodging barracuda the whole time. they really want to check out your light and will nip at just about anything shiny on your gear. you hear stories all the time about barracuda biting earrings or watches...basically anything shiny with a reflection. sharks very rarely do that stuff.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2011, 12:21 PM   #31
Strongbark
Brigadier General
No_Country
86

 
Strongbark's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 M4 on order
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Earth


Posts: 3,678
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ghost of Tom Joad View Post
i wouldn't call shark encounters 'hairy moments'. they're pretty harmless and will just check you out and keep moving most of the time. you rarely ever hear stories of shark biting divers. nurse sharks are mostly docile and just sit on the bottom motionless. reefs are a bit more active, but like i said, usually just check you out and swim on by. even seeing a shark active during the day is pretty rare at most dive sites anyway.

i'm more concerned with barracuda personally. those guys really like to get up close and personal. those teeth in your face don't play! they're way more likely to take a nip at you than a shark. my first night dive on the vandenberg was pretty much dodging barracuda the whole time. they really want to check out your light and will nip at just about anything shiny on your gear. you hear stories all the time about barracuda biting earrings or watches...basically anything shiny with a reflection. sharks very rarely do that stuff.
Yeah, I know what you mean. I've snorkeled with 'cudas before and they are intimidating for sure. They're not shy by any means.
__________________
Strongbark

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic32890_2.gif
'13 Mini GP #485 of 500 For Sale
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2011, 05:30 PM   #32
Mahmood07
Captain
Bahrain
20

 
Mahmood07's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 E92 M3 DCT
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Boston->San Diego->Bahrain


Posts: 809
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ghost of Tom Joad View Post
i wouldn't call shark encounters 'hairy moments'. they're pretty harmless and will just check you out and keep moving most of the time. you rarely ever hear stories of shark biting divers. nurse sharks are mostly docile and just sit on the bottom motionless. reefs are a bit more active, but like i said, usually just check you out and swim on by. even seeing a shark active during the day is pretty rare at most dive sites anyway.

i'm more concerned with barracuda personally. those guys really like to get up close and personal. those teeth in your face don't play! they're way more likely to take a nip at you than a shark. my first night dive on the vandenberg was pretty much dodging barracuda the whole time. they really want to check out your light and will nip at just about anything shiny on your gear. you hear stories all the time about barracuda biting earrings or watches...basically anything shiny with a reflection. sharks very rarely do that stuff.
I agree. I encountered a school of hammerheads which kept circling us for 10 - 15 minutes then left. As soon as we jumped in they sensed us and came to check us out, but since we are not on their menu its a beautiful sight to watch. Also +1 on the barracudas.
__________________
///M3 Mods: | Eisenmann Race Exhaust | Primary Cats Delete (TTP) | ESS Tune | 19" Advan RS | Eibach Springs | MS Air Filter | BMW Perf. Spoiler | BMW Perf. Splitters | Euro LCI Tail lights | Angel iBright v.3.0 | 20% Tint | Matte black Kidney Grills | CF Side Gills | Painted Reflectors | Black M3 emblem
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2011, 11:52 PM   #33
matthewk
Private First Class
United_States
4

 
matthewk's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: TX


Posts: 110
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuned1 View Post
OK, I'll ask....any shark (reef & nurse sharks need not apply) encounters or other hairy moments you guys care to share? The deep sea intrigues me yet there's still so much we don't even know yet.
Florida, swimming under a ledge in a reef at about 70ft, come out from under the ledge and no more than 10ft above me there it is. Thing was about 15ft long and its belly was white as coconut flesh. Just swam on by, I was basically frozen. I have never seen anything like it, first and hopefully last run in with a great white. It was pretty terrifying, likely because of the stigma with that 2000+ pound beast, but it was BIG.

Lots of other shark run ins but that was the one that I would call hairy.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:31 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST