BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications
 
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-01-2012, 01:26 AM   #485
DLSJ5
Brigadier General
 
DLSJ5's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 E92 DCT M3
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: CA

Posts: 3,425
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to DLSJ5
Well guys with 600whp and over 400WTQ the clutch was starting to slip, you can actually hear it in the last speedo vid I posted. The car went back to ESS a few weeks ago for some upgrades, one of which included the SSP Kevlar DCT clutch discs.

BIG THANK YOU to Kris and Jeremy from SSP, can't wait to run the car with this new clutch of yours at the upcoming shift-s3ctor airstrip event, this product is so important and imperative for those with DCT and FI, looking for more reliable big power.

You can see from a few of the pics, the stock clutch discs were worn, along with some burn marks, not terrible, but needed an upgrade for sure. They also looked over the entire tranny and it was in great condition.

Here's some pics -





























































__________________
08 E92 M3 DCT - Bolt Ons - 60-130MPH 10.71s - 11.88 @ 118MPH - 377WHP
ESS VT2-625 SC 60-130MPH 6.80s - 11.30 @ 129.3 MPH 586WHP / 379WTQ @ 7.2psi - 94 octane / Water meth
ESS VT3-750 - 60-130MPH 6.44s - 10.81 @ 135.13 MPH 690Whp/463Wtq@13.5 psi
DLSJ5 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-01-2012, 01:31 AM   #486
0-60Motorsports
Major
 
0-60Motorsports's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW M3 JB 04 Coupe
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Kingdom of Bahrain

Posts: 1,274
iTrader: (1)

Send a message via AIM to 0-60Motorsports Send a message via MSN to 0-60Motorsports Send a message via Yahoo to 0-60Motorsports
SSP make an awesome product! Thats why I support their products and they have great customer service
__________________
Current Mods: GC Coilovers, Eibach Sways, PF RTABs, RE RCAs, INTRAVEE II + Alpine KCA-420i, Black Roundels, ///MFEST Badges, Depo's, Screen protector for OEM 16:9 display, VCSL Bumper + Race Lip + CF Boot + CF Rear Diffusor, DIETZ TV in Motion, SuperSprint V1 Headers + Catless S-pipes + Res Sec 2 + Race Exhaust, Z8 Starter Button, Lamin-X, OME CSL Steering, OEM CSL Interior, OEM CSL Intake, OEM CSL Roof, EVOLVE Alpha-N, BBS CH's, LIGHTWERKZ....
0-60Motorsports is offline   Bahrain
0
Reply With Quote
      02-01-2012, 01:36 AM   #487
DLSJ5
Brigadier General
 
DLSJ5's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 E92 DCT M3
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: CA

Posts: 3,425
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to DLSJ5
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0-60Motorsports View Post
SSP make an awesome product! Thats why I support their products and they have great customer service
Great to hear! Appreciate you chiming in as always, how are things with you?
__________________
08 E92 M3 DCT - Bolt Ons - 60-130MPH 10.71s - 11.88 @ 118MPH - 377WHP
ESS VT2-625 SC 60-130MPH 6.80s - 11.30 @ 129.3 MPH 586WHP / 379WTQ @ 7.2psi - 94 octane / Water meth
ESS VT3-750 - 60-130MPH 6.44s - 10.81 @ 135.13 MPH 690Whp/463Wtq@13.5 psi
DLSJ5 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-01-2012, 01:37 AM   #488
0-60Motorsports
Major
 
0-60Motorsports's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW M3 JB 04 Coupe
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Kingdom of Bahrain

Posts: 1,274
iTrader: (1)

Send a message via AIM to 0-60Motorsports Send a message via MSN to 0-60Motorsports Send a message via Yahoo to 0-60Motorsports
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLSJ5 View Post
Great to hear! Appreciate you chiming in as always, how are things with you?
Great Bro! Loving your car by the way. Looks awesome! You also need to use the SSP GOLD DCT Trans Oil! You'll love the way the car shifts smoother when you use this oil. Ask Jeremy about it
__________________
Current Mods: GC Coilovers, Eibach Sways, PF RTABs, RE RCAs, INTRAVEE II + Alpine KCA-420i, Black Roundels, ///MFEST Badges, Depo's, Screen protector for OEM 16:9 display, VCSL Bumper + Race Lip + CF Boot + CF Rear Diffusor, DIETZ TV in Motion, SuperSprint V1 Headers + Catless S-pipes + Res Sec 2 + Race Exhaust, Z8 Starter Button, Lamin-X, OME CSL Steering, OEM CSL Interior, OEM CSL Intake, OEM CSL Roof, EVOLVE Alpha-N, BBS CH's, LIGHTWERKZ....
0-60Motorsports is offline   Bahrain
0
Reply With Quote
      02-01-2012, 09:01 AM   #489
flipm3
E46 + E90
 
Drives: E46 M3 + E90 M3
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Illinois

Posts: 2,772
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
2002 BMW M3  [0.00]
The DCT sure does looks beautiful when it's in pieces, hehe.

It's great that your project moves so quickly and everyone helping out gets the project done!
__________________
E90 M3 DCT|Melbourne Red . Speed Cloth | My Build Thread
E46 M3 6MT|Jet Black . Black Nappa Leather | My Build Thread
flipm3 is offline   Philippines
0
Reply With Quote
      02-01-2012, 10:27 AM   #490
Mr. 5
Modder Raider
 
Mr. 5's Avatar
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Surf City, HB

Posts: 8,626
iTrader: (31)

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [4.00]
Nice pics Drew!
Are you goig to be ready for the event?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SehrSchnell View Post
Awesome! Hey Drew, how do you think my stock clutch (6MT) will hold up with my 600 blower and my 4.10 gears?
You might be fine because clutch ratings are usually based on torque and I would assume that the OEM twin disc clutch peak torque ratings are higher than 400 torques.
__________________
e36 M3 Coupe, e36 325i Sedan
e90 335i--SOLD

Best 60-130-------------9.15 Seconds------------------WWW.MR5RACING.COM
Mr. 5 is offline   Scotland
0
Reply With Quote
      02-01-2012, 11:50 AM   #491
DLSJ5
Brigadier General
 
DLSJ5's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 E92 DCT M3
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: CA

Posts: 3,425
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to DLSJ5
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0-60Motorsports View Post
Great Bro! Loving your car by the way. Looks awesome! You also need to use the SSP GOLD DCT Trans Oil! You'll love the way the car shifts smoother when you use this oil. Ask Jeremy about it
Thanks man, I believe the Gold stuff is being used.
__________________
08 E92 M3 DCT - Bolt Ons - 60-130MPH 10.71s - 11.88 @ 118MPH - 377WHP
ESS VT2-625 SC 60-130MPH 6.80s - 11.30 @ 129.3 MPH 586WHP / 379WTQ @ 7.2psi - 94 octane / Water meth
ESS VT3-750 - 60-130MPH 6.44s - 10.81 @ 135.13 MPH 690Whp/463Wtq@13.5 psi
DLSJ5 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-01-2012, 11:51 AM   #492
DLSJ5
Brigadier General
 
DLSJ5's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 E92 DCT M3
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: CA

Posts: 3,425
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to DLSJ5
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipm3 View Post
The DCT sure does looks beautiful when it's in pieces, hehe.

It's great that your project moves so quickly and everyone helping out gets the project done!
Agreed, I've been very fortunate and very pleased with the progress.
__________________
08 E92 M3 DCT - Bolt Ons - 60-130MPH 10.71s - 11.88 @ 118MPH - 377WHP
ESS VT2-625 SC 60-130MPH 6.80s - 11.30 @ 129.3 MPH 586WHP / 379WTQ @ 7.2psi - 94 octane / Water meth
ESS VT3-750 - 60-130MPH 6.44s - 10.81 @ 135.13 MPH 690Whp/463Wtq@13.5 psi
DLSJ5 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-01-2012, 11:52 AM   #493
DLSJ5
Brigadier General
 
DLSJ5's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 E92 DCT M3
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: CA

Posts: 3,425
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to DLSJ5
Quote:
Originally Posted by SehrSchnell View Post
Awesome! Hey Drew, how do you think my stock clutch (6MT) will hold up with my 600 blower and my 4.10 gears?
I think you'll be fine, but if it slips in the future, you now have an upgrade option.
__________________
08 E92 M3 DCT - Bolt Ons - 60-130MPH 10.71s - 11.88 @ 118MPH - 377WHP
ESS VT2-625 SC 60-130MPH 6.80s - 11.30 @ 129.3 MPH 586WHP / 379WTQ @ 7.2psi - 94 octane / Water meth
ESS VT3-750 - 60-130MPH 6.44s - 10.81 @ 135.13 MPH 690Whp/463Wtq@13.5 psi
DLSJ5 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-01-2012, 11:53 AM   #494
DLSJ5
Brigadier General
 
DLSJ5's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 E92 DCT M3
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: CA

Posts: 3,425
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to DLSJ5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. 5 View Post
Nice pics Drew!
Are you goig to be ready for the event?
Thanks Broski, yes I will be there, what are your plans?
__________________
08 E92 M3 DCT - Bolt Ons - 60-130MPH 10.71s - 11.88 @ 118MPH - 377WHP
ESS VT2-625 SC 60-130MPH 6.80s - 11.30 @ 129.3 MPH 586WHP / 379WTQ @ 7.2psi - 94 octane / Water meth
ESS VT3-750 - 60-130MPH 6.44s - 10.81 @ 135.13 MPH 690Whp/463Wtq@13.5 psi
DLSJ5 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-01-2012, 12:02 PM   #495
tibra1
Banned
 
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NYC

Posts: 6,777
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. 5 View Post
You might be fine because clutch ratings are usually based on torque and I would assume that the OEM twin disc clutch peak torque ratings are higher than 400 torques.
So how much beefier is the M3 MT clutch vs say the n54s which as soon as I turned up the torque past 400 on began to slip mainly on launches..I believe you experienced the same thing on your n54 and upgraded the clutch.
tibra1 is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      02-01-2012, 12:09 PM   #496
DLSJ5
Brigadier General
 
DLSJ5's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 E92 DCT M3
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: CA

Posts: 3,425
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to DLSJ5
Quote:
Originally Posted by tibra1 View Post
So how much beefier is the M3 MT clutch vs say the n54s which as soon as I turned up the torque past 400 on began to slip mainly on launches..I believe you experienced the same thing on your n54 and upgraded the clutch.
I have read about Modded 335I DCT cars experiencing some clutch slippage, but they can make more peak TQ than even a SC'd M3. Mr.5 had a MT on his 335I. FWIW, the M3 transmission actually is a little beefier than the R35 - GTR DCT.
__________________
08 E92 M3 DCT - Bolt Ons - 60-130MPH 10.71s - 11.88 @ 118MPH - 377WHP
ESS VT2-625 SC 60-130MPH 6.80s - 11.30 @ 129.3 MPH 586WHP / 379WTQ @ 7.2psi - 94 octane / Water meth
ESS VT3-750 - 60-130MPH 6.44s - 10.81 @ 135.13 MPH 690Whp/463Wtq@13.5 psi
DLSJ5 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-01-2012, 12:13 PM   #497
tibra1
Banned
 
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NYC

Posts: 6,777
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLSJ5 View Post
I have read about Modded 335I DCT cars experiencing some clutch slippage, but they can make more peak TQ than even a SC'd M3. Mr.5 had a MT on his 335I. FWIW, the M3 transmission actually is a little beefier than the R35 - GTR DCT.
Intersting..yeah its really torque that you have to be concerned about when it comes to MT clutch..I was curious to see how far an MT M3 has gone before having any clutch slippage issues.
tibra1 is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      02-01-2012, 02:06 PM   #498
Mr. 5
Modder Raider
 
Mr. 5's Avatar
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Surf City, HB

Posts: 8,626
iTrader: (31)

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [4.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tibra1 View Post
So how much beefier is the M3 MT clutch vs say the n54s which as soon as I turned up the torque past 400 on began to slip mainly on launches..I believe you experienced the same thing on your n54 and upgraded the clutch.
The N54 uses a single disc and the M3 uses a twin disc setup.
Twin disc clutches can handle more torque yet keep the drivability much better and smoother.
I was running 484 wtq in my 335, but I needed an upgraded clutch for that.
I was able to run an 11.7 in the 1/4 launching at 4k rpm.
__________________
e36 M3 Coupe, e36 325i Sedan
e90 335i--SOLD

Best 60-130-------------9.15 Seconds------------------WWW.MR5RACING.COM
Mr. 5 is offline   Scotland
0
Reply With Quote
      02-01-2012, 02:11 PM   #499
tibra1
Banned
 
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NYC

Posts: 6,777
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. 5 View Post
The N54 uses a single disc and the M3 uses a twin disc setup.
Twin disc clutches can handle more torque yet keep the drivability much better and smoother.
I was running 484 wtq in my 335, but I needed an upgraded clutch for that.
I was able to run an 11.7 in the 1/4 launching at 4k rpm.
484 Ahh..good info,,wonder what the tiping point number for the M3s clutch is..venture a guess?
tibra1 is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      02-01-2012, 02:57 PM   #500
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
 
Singletrack's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 12 AW X5d
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Posts: 3,795
iTrader: (3)

DCT upgrade = awesome!

Good luck...look forward to more.
Singletrack is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-01-2012, 04:24 PM   #501
flipm3
E46 + E90
 
Drives: E46 M3 + E90 M3
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Illinois

Posts: 2,772
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
2002 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SehrSchnell View Post
How much $$$ is that clutch upgrade? Thanks!
There's some good information on SSP's website.

http://www.sspperformance.com/sub-ca...ransmission--/

I hear great things about their fluid.
__________________
E90 M3 DCT|Melbourne Red . Speed Cloth | My Build Thread
E46 M3 6MT|Jet Black . Black Nappa Leather | My Build Thread
flipm3 is offline   Philippines
0
Reply With Quote
      02-01-2012, 06:51 PM   #502
E90///M3`
Major General
 
Drives: 2008 E90M3
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Daly City -4- Work///Camarillo is Home

Posts: 5,278
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2008 BMW E90 M3  [3.80]
damn you Drew... you're too good at keeping secrets. lol
__________________
- Jason P
:Have: 08 E90M3, Varis VRS Front Lip, LS3, ESS Supercharger, Arqray Exhaust, Neez Wheels
:Want: VRS Carbon GT Wing & Cooling Bonnet, LCI Taillights
:Videos: EnvyRidesTV, GPR 1, GPR 2, GPR 3, ///MFEST
E90///M3` is offline   Philippines
0
Reply With Quote
      02-02-2012, 12:30 PM   #503
Jeremy@SSP
Registered
 
Drives: GT-R/Evo/STI
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Houston, TX

Posts: 1
iTrader: (0)

Wow!! Just seeing the clutch/steel pictures for the first time.....and boy were they SMOKED!

Can't wait to see how it does at your upcoming event with the new clutch packs, and we're glad to be apart of this project with you.


-Jeremy@SSP









.
Jeremy@SSP is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-02-2012, 01:16 PM   #504
DLSJ5
Brigadier General
 
DLSJ5's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 E92 DCT M3
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: CA

Posts: 3,425
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to DLSJ5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy@SSP View Post
Wow!! Just seeing the clutch/steel pictures for the first time.....and boy were they SMOKED!

Can't wait to see how it does at your upcoming event with the new clutch packs, and we're glad to be apart of this project with you.


-Jeremy@SSP









.
Jeremy, so glad you chimed in, the car took a lot that is for sure! Thanks again for all your help, can't wait to drive the car with your clutch, looking forward to meeting you and Kris soon as well.
__________________
08 E92 M3 DCT - Bolt Ons - 60-130MPH 10.71s - 11.88 @ 118MPH - 377WHP
ESS VT2-625 SC 60-130MPH 6.80s - 11.30 @ 129.3 MPH 586WHP / 379WTQ @ 7.2psi - 94 octane / Water meth
ESS VT3-750 - 60-130MPH 6.44s - 10.81 @ 135.13 MPH 690Whp/463Wtq@13.5 psi
DLSJ5 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-11-2012, 10:08 AM   #505
SSPKris
Registered
 
SSPKris's Avatar
 
Drives: Nissan GTR
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: USA

Posts: 2
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via Skype™ to SSPKris
Drew, its been awesome to work with you on this project. I hope that you do extremely well at the upcoming race. SSP has been working with new DCT technology and upgrades for approximately 4 years now. The BMW DCT is a very well engineered transmission.

Due to the advances in transmission DCT electronic controls, we now are developing an entire new line of performance parts for the BMW DCT. DCT transmissions are going to be the dominant force in all performance car markets in the near future.

In general there are a bunch of unanswered questions BMW owners have about DCT transmissions, and their capabilities. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have about your DCT transmission. We are here to help you guys.

Thanks

Kris
__________________
Kris
SSPKris is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-13-2012, 12:47 PM   #506
DLSJ5
Brigadier General
 
DLSJ5's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 E92 DCT M3
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: CA

Posts: 3,425
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to DLSJ5
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSPKris View Post
Drew, its been awesome to work with you on this project. I hope that you do extremely well at the upcoming race. SSP has been working with new DCT technology and upgrades for approximately 4 years now. The BMW DCT is a very well engineered transmission.

Due to the advances in transmission DCT electronic controls, we now are developing an entire new line of performance parts for the BMW DCT. DCT transmissions are going to be the dominant force in all performance car markets in the near future.

In general there are a bunch of unanswered questions BMW owners have about DCT transmissions, and their capabilities. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have about your DCT transmission. We are here to help you guys.

Thanks

Kris

Thanks Kris, the feeling is mutual, thank you so much for this upgrade! Without it, big power on the DCT would not be possible. Looking forward to seeing how the car does with your clutches.
__________________
08 E92 M3 DCT - Bolt Ons - 60-130MPH 10.71s - 11.88 @ 118MPH - 377WHP
ESS VT2-625 SC 60-130MPH 6.80s - 11.30 @ 129.3 MPH 586WHP / 379WTQ @ 7.2psi - 94 octane / Water meth
ESS VT3-750 - 60-130MPH 6.44s - 10.81 @ 135.13 MPH 690Whp/463Wtq@13.5 psi
DLSJ5 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:37 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST