BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

12-18-2011, 02:54 PM   #1
LarThaL
Colonel

Drives: 2011 M3

Different front and rear tires

My '11 M3 came with Continental Contisport 3. I have heard that this is not as good a tire as say, the Michelin PS2 or PSS in terms or grip or steering responsiveness. Still, for street driving they seem fine to me. The have a decent ride/handling balance.

My question is this: The Contisport 3 does not come in a 285/30/19 size. This is the size I want to put on the rear. I don't want to change the front tire size from stock. Is there any issue with going to only a different rear tire within the Continental line like the Contisport 5 or Contisport DW. How about using a different brand entirely like the Michelin PS2? I know that with AWD cars, the difference in grip can have adverse effects on power distribution. Since the M3 is RWD, does the slightly different front/rear rubber configuration between different tires really matter as long as I am staying within the max performance class of tire. It's not like I would be putting a full track tire in front and an all-season in back.

12-18-2011, 06:15 PM   #2
New_m3
Second Lieutenant

Drives: E92 M3

I have conti sport 5 on the back and conti sport 3 on the front with my summer setup and I haven't encountered any problems.

Just wondering why you are looking at 285/30/19? The stock sizes are 245/35/19 and 265/35/19.
      12-18-2011, 06:16 PM   #3
Mahmood07
Captain

Drives: 2010 E92 M3 DCT

I have half worn PS2s up front and New PSS rears. On regular street driving you wont feel a difference, but I took my M3 on a canyon run and the car understeers. Less grip on the front tires make them plow straight on during a turn which can be scary.
///M3 Mods: | Eisenmann Race Exhaust | Primary Cats Delete (TTP) | ESS Tune | 19" Advan RS | Eibach Springs | MS Air Filter | BMW Perf. Spoiler | BMW Perf. Splitters | Euro LCI Tail lights | Angel iBright v.3.0 | 20% Tint | Matte black Kidney Grills | CF Side Gills | Painted Reflectors | Black M3 emblem
Mahmood07 is offline   Bahrain
      12-18-2011, 07:34 PM   #4
elh0102
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVG View Post
Since the M3 is RWD, does the slightly different front/rear rubber configuration between different tires really matter as long as I am staying within the max performance class of tire. It's not like I would be putting a full track tire in front and an all-season in back.
The difference in handling between rubber compounds can be significant. Whether or not it "matters" is impossible to answer, since it depends entirely on your use. You might find a total mismatch between compounds or manufacturers that is perfect for your use. In using a 245/285 staggered width, you will be exacerbating the inherent understeer characteristic of the suspension. Again, neither a good nor bad thing, depending on the specific application.
      12-19-2011, 04:36 PM   #5
LarThaL
Colonel

Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by elh0102 View Post
The difference in handling between rubber compounds can be significant. Whether or not it "matters" is impossible to answer, since it depends entirely on your use. You might find a total mismatch between compounds or manufacturers that is perfect for your use. In using a 245/285 staggered width, you will be exacerbating the inherent understeer characteristic of the suspension. Again, neither a good nor bad thing, depending on the specific application.
I know about the understeer issue. I am hoping I can offset the effect of the increased stagger by running spacers in the front and creating a wider front track. What do you think?

12-19-2011, 04:51 PM   #6
elh0102
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVG View Post
I know about the understeer issue. I am hoping I can offset the effect of the increased stagger by running spacers in the front and creating a wider front track. What do you think?
I doubt it. But again, it might not matter, as it all depends on how it suits your driving need.