BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

GTB Performance

12-16-2011, 04:05 PM   #67
LarThaL
Colonel

Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ateam View Post
actually a beater truck with newer tires and that is lighter may very well stop in less time than you. Stopping time is only dependent on mass of the vehicle, speed and friction. Any semi-modern drum or disk brakes can provide enough power to lock up the wheel with abs action if applicable, meaning its the surface of the road and the grip of the tire. Nothing to do with how big your brakes are or how modern your car is.

Now they may not be able to do two hard brakings in a row and may overheat their shitty brakes in one shot, but emergency braking is no better in your m3 than a 84 honda civic, actually civic probably will stop sooner!
Your points are all correct, however I was just using a little generalizing facetiousness here. The "old truck" would likely have small, shitty tires, and while any brakes can lock up and stop on dry pavement, in any type of slippery conditions, this could be quite undesireable. Also, being able to manuever your vehicle should it begin to lose control is another serious consideration.

12-16-2011, 04:28 PM   #68
valeram
Major

Drives: E92 M3 DCT

I feel obligated to be a responsible driver no matter what car I drive.
      12-16-2011, 04:39 PM   #69
James T. Kirk
Captain of the Enterprise

Drives: 2011 1 Series M Coupe

I enjoy accelerating wherever there is room to be had safely.

I don't accelerate out of a red light to show up Grandma next to me or to race the kid in the GTI next to me. That would be obnoxious. But I do drive quickly for joy of the dynamics that my Bimmer can offer.

I don't necessarily drive "fast" in terms of average speed, but I sure like to get there in a hurry.

2011 1 Series M Coupe VO M3 vs 1M Comparo Review
2011 M3 E90 DCT ZCP (sold) * 2010 335i Sedan (sold)
2005 M3 Convertible (sold) * 2003 325i Sedan (sold)
James T. Kirk is offline   United_States
      12-16-2011, 04:48 PM   #70
Ateam
Banned

Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVG View Post
Your points are all correct, however I was just using a little generalizing facetiousness here. The "old truck" would likely have small, shitty tires, and while any brakes can lock up and stop on dry pavement, in any type of slippery conditions, this could be quite undesireable. Also, being able to manuever your vehicle should it begin to lose control is another serious consideration.
I know I know, was just giving you a hard time! I think people take your point well!

However the BBK industry sure sells a lot of 5k dollar big brakes kits to folks thinking they are getting more stopping power in a shorter distance! Suckas
      12-18-2011, 02:58 AM   #71
skierman64
Brigadier General

Drives: 2008 E92 Space Gray M3 & E36M3

Garage List
1998 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2008 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
Send a message via Yahoo to skierman64
Quote:
no such thing as a "nicely curved" 90 degree turn! 90 degrees is 90 degrees! Just like you cannot be "more dead" dead is dead! 90 degree turn at 60mph! Wow you must have F1 chassis under your m3 body!
I recommend looking up the definition of the word "radius" and then thinking about how it may apply to a curve in the road. A 90 degree curve with a 5 foot radius would not be the same as a 90 degree curve with a 500 foot radius.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibra1 View Post
Someone didnt pay attention during high school geometry..
Exactly

Quote:
actually a beater truck with newer tires and that is lighter may very well stop in less time than you. Stopping time is only dependent on mass of the vehicle, speed and friction. Any semi-modern drum or disk brakes can provide enough power to lock up the wheel with abs action if applicable, meaning its the surface of the road and the grip of the tire. Nothing to do with how big your brakes are or how modern your car is.

Now they may not be able to do two hard brakings in a row and may overheat their shitty brakes in one shot, but emergency braking is no better in your m3 than a 84 honda civic, actually civic probably will stop sooner!
Really...how come the E92M3 recorded the shortest 70-0 stopping distance ever recorded back in 2008 (I believe it was Car and Driver magazine). I'm sure that car balance, suspension geometry, brake modulation and tire compound have no effect on braking distance (that's sarcasm btw). A car with 70% of its weight over the front wheels (like a pickup) will never be able to stop in the same distance as a car with good weight distribution because in the pick up the rear brakes are less effective because there's no weight on them (even less under braking). Even if you put the same brakes and tires on both the pickup and the car, the car will always out brake a pick up.
      12-18-2011, 07:12 AM   #72
LarThaL
Colonel

Quote:
I know I know, was just giving you a hard time! I think people take your point well!

However the BBK industry sure sells a lot of 5k dollar big brakes kits to folks thinking they are getting more stopping power in a shorter distance! Suckas
Actually I'm willing to bet that at least 50% of these kits are bought for the bling factor and nothing more.

12-18-2011, 07:24 AM   #73
Technic
Lieutenant General

Drives: 2012 E92 M3, 2014 528i

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinpipes View Post
The title asks the operative question. But as I was cruising along the coast today I wondered how everyone else felt about this. If you are first at a stop light, do you feel you need to take off faster than the person next to you becuz you have an ///M3? Do you feel funny if a grandmother in a Crown Vic or someone in a Camry passes you while you are in the right lane? Do you care? Do you always drive fast/aggressive or are there times when you just cruise along like anyone else? Just curious how everyone else drives day by day.
I always try to take off faster than any car besides me at any light, regardless of what I drive.

I just can't stand the herd mentality of driving, that for some prehistoric reason we all have to accelerate and then bunch up at the same exact speed, side-by-side, under any traffic conditions. Like going from Ft. Lauderdale to Orlando and back (6+ hours of driving) and seeing long lines of cars in the left lane in the middle of nowhere and just a single car in the right lane... all going at the exact same speed and thus nobody's passing anybody.

Insane.

My philosophy is very simple: do not obstruct the legal flow of traffic. Just don't.
-2007 MK5 GTI United Grey/Grey, DSG: Gone
-2004 E46 M3 Carbon Black/Cinnamon, 6MT: Gone

Last edited by Technic; 12-18-2011 at 07:32 AM.
Technic is offline   United_States
      12-18-2011, 07:58 AM   #74
767IJP
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2012 M3

I find every knob and his sister drives like a fool trying to challenge you. I find driving a nice car puts a target on your back.

I love sitting at a light with some retard next to me revving away wanting to "go". Nothing feels better than to watch him zorch away looking like an idiot. People with nice cars tend to drive more responsibly I find. Sure push the car from time to time but it's not competition every day.
      12-18-2011, 01:28 PM   #75
Ateam
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 767IJP View Post
I find every knob and his sister drives like a fool trying to challenge you. I find driving a nice car puts a target on your back.

I love sitting at a light with some retard next to me revving away wanting to "go". Nothing feels better than to watch him zorch away looking like an idiot. People with nice cars tend to drive more responsibly I find. Sure push the car from time to time but it's not competition every day.
knob

My new favorite dis-You fucking knob

And yes-my geometry SUCKS. HS geometry I actually aced but I am a little bit removed from math-lets just say I have not used math on a daily basis since college! 90 degrees sounded quite sharp to me!

And anyone can read for themselves or learn-braking is dependent only on a coupe variables. Suspension geometry and everything matters because it ultimately effects the ability of the tire to remain in contact with the ground under many different braking maneuvers. However a simple straight line, stomp the brakes and engage ABS-is dependent on friction (which is also effected by road surface, temperature, humidity) so its not that there are no variable factors, rather none of them have to do with the technology of the car.

The type of tires are a HUGE factor in how cars stop. Could be the m3 was the lightest car with that aggressive of a tire on a warm day that stopped it in the quickest time. Lots of variables.
      12-18-2011, 02:09 PM   #76
LarThaL
Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by 767IJP View Post

Truer words have never been spoken. Whether in my M3 or my Cayenne, people always want to "race" me. In fact, it is actually worse in the Cayenne since it is a high-end performance vehicle but is also an SUV.

With the M3, I usually get challenges from other cars. With the Cayenne, it is cars, other SUV's and, most of all, pick-up trucks.

And people really do some idiotic dangerous shit !!! They are right on your ass, they weave in and out of heavy traffic just to "beat" you, etc. etc.

And yes.....I also love "knob" i.e. your head is just a sphere of inorganic solid matter

Last edited by LarThaL; 12-18-2011 at 02:15 PM.
      12-18-2011, 02:13 PM   #77
Powerbeast
Major General

Drives: E90 M3 Dakar Yellow

No I just do my own thing. When I feel the need to speed up I do.
Powerbeast is offline   United_States
      12-18-2011, 02:16 PM   #78
rjd598
Brigadier General

Drives: 10' M3

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [4.50]
1999 BMW M3  [0.00]
if you're not doing at least double the speed limit...you should be ashamed of yourselves

rjd598 is offline   United_States
      12-18-2011, 03:09 PM   #79
767IJP
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2012 M3

Glad you liked the knob comment..... Waiting for ED in May for my first Bimmer. Can't wait. Drove an 2002 Boxster S. The worst was on the highway. You'd get all sorts of people coming right up on your tail wanting to pressure you. And they're never in high end cars.

Had two punks in a jizzed up Civic try and sucker me into racing. They were circling me. I finally rolled down the window and told them to %#^} off. They tore off and no more than five miles later I passed them. I was waving eagerly tootling my horn as they we're waiting for smokey to come up with the "license and registration please" line. The looks on their faces was one for the ages.

Notice how often idiots have bad luck?
      12-18-2011, 07:40 PM   #80
skierman64
Brigadier General

Drives: 2008 E92 Space Gray M3 & E36M3

Garage List
1998 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2008 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
Send a message via Yahoo to skierman64
I must look old, in 3.5 years driving my E92M3, I've been challenged/taunted twice (that I recall). Once was on some punks on sport bikes. I never oblige, that's just dumb and immature.

If you want to challenge me, meet me at the nearest road course.

Quote:
And yes-my geometry SUCKS. HS geometry I actually aced but I am a little bit removed from math-lets just say I have not used math on a daily basis since college! 90 degrees sounded quite sharp to me.
As a refresher 90 degrees is 1/4 of a full 360 degree turn (a complete circle). The corner can be sharp or gradual. For example turn one at Watkins Glen is a 90 degree 60-70 mph corner in most trackable street cars.

Last edited by skierman64; 12-18-2011 at 07:55 PM.
skierman64 is offline   United_States
      12-18-2011, 08:10 PM   #81
chinoxmk22
chinolicious

Drives: Evo 9 MR

just cruise and enjoy it
chinoxmk22 is offline   United_States
      12-18-2011, 08:58 PM   #82
ss134
Brigadier General

Drives: ...a hard bargain...

When the conditions and circumstances allow i enjoy the cars power and handling to the full - try hitting a stretch of unrestricted autobahn on a summers night in your M3 and see what happens - big speed, smiles and refuelling every 90 minutes
ss134 is offline   United Kingdom
      12-18-2011, 09:11 PM   #83
Sandye90m3
Captain

I think that driving a little bit slower than the speed limit shows a bit more of a badass factor (if you're looking for that). Shifting slowly, at around 3900RPM and coming up to that redline nice and slow.. ugh you're going to make me cry. I miss my M3! It's winter stored