BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications
 
MaxcySpeed & Company
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-12-2011, 10:26 PM   #23
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
THE TECH's Avatar
 
Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Kansas

Posts: 12,567
iTrader: (39)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to THE TECH Send a message via Skype™ to THE TECH
Quote:
Originally Posted by L4ces View Post
Hi guys, I've started thinking more about the in-cabin experience rather than outside tone. In-cabin would be windows partially or fully down. Although I have an AA rear, let me share this and id be curious if the Akra or modded sound is better described the same.

The AA is bassy and it also has a high pitch that is more like a smooth sign wave. Outside the car it sounds great as most do. Inside I don't hear the interesting stuff, I only hear a humm and a higher pitched hum. None of the grunt and racy sounds reach the cabin. My guess is that bassy sound doesn't travel as well.

When I had xpipes mated to my oem, the emphasis of sound was more in the mid range up to high. I didn't feel the rumble but I heard more interesting tones. A blip would be more pronounced like it just punched you in the face. Rev matching was alot easier. The AA rear only does have as pronounced blip but it is loud enough to rev match.

So, given thw Akra is bassy, would you say in-cabin experience similar to a bassy exhaust like the AA.

It's so hard trying to describe this. Bottom line is one can get bored if the in cabin is just a hum rather than a snotty cough like m performance and oem.
The only issue I see is that he is trying to compare modded OEM to Akra. Adding a third exhaust to the mix is only confusing the OP.

But to consider what you've said above, I would be the AA is louder in cabin than the Akra is. The Akra can be very quiet, especially when you're not on the throttle.
__________________
THE TECH is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-12-2011, 11:06 PM   #24
Bubbles
Green Bastard
 
Bubbles's Avatar
 
Drives: ZCP-Powered
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bishop Bend

Posts: 3,542
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by L4ces View Post
By the way, my intention is to she some light to help the OP in his decision as well as others and not hijack his thread.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Singletrack View Post
Do it. If you don't like it, you could throw it back on the market and take little to no loss.

If you buy the evolve setup for the tune, you will also have logging eventually - when they release it. So it will be of great benefit even if you chose to run the stock programming. You can use it to diagnose problems, etc. But, none of this may be important to you...everyone is different. There are simple flash tunes that seem to produce solid gains - so various options there.

To me, the M3 is all about being greater than the sum of its parts. If you look at any "weight savings" in a vacuum, it may seem pointless (eg carbon fiber roof, plastic fenders, etc). So something like the Akrapovic is the perfect compliment - saving over 50+ lbs and producing serious power.

Unless...potential warranty issues really keeps you up at night. In that case, perhaps the grass really is always greener? ; )

Good luck.
I would enjoy the logging feature, especially for track days. I guess I should put my brand new modded OEM Muffler for sale soon.
__________________
Bubbles is offline   Cayman Islands
0
Reply With Quote
      12-12-2011, 11:31 PM   #25
Raptor251
ESS Dreaming
 
Raptor251's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011.5 e92 m3/Ford Raptor 6.2
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: San Diego

Posts: 870
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbles View Post
Are you running a tune with it? It must be quieter than your modded OEM, right?
I had my dealer flash my car with the Dinan software so I dont get hassled about warranty stuff. And are you joking about my new exhaust being quieter? The OEM modded exhaust wasnt really that loud IMO especially in the low RPMs. Once you remove the cats the exhaust gains a lot more volume and sounds amazing. Oh and the stock exhaust looks like hell from the back. The Akra is worth the look alone, its so sexy!

-And FYI I am currently running the RPI GT X pipe w/resonators installed and Fabspeed mufflers.

Last edited by Raptor251; 12-12-2011 at 11:37 PM.
Raptor251 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-13-2011, 09:59 PM   #26
Bubbles
Green Bastard
 
Bubbles's Avatar
 
Drives: ZCP-Powered
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bishop Bend

Posts: 3,542
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor251 View Post
I had my dealer flash my car with the Dinan software so I dont get hassled about warranty stuff. And are you joking about my new exhaust being quieter? The OEM modded exhaust wasnt really that loud IMO especially in the low RPMs. Once you remove the cats the exhaust gains a lot more volume and sounds amazing. Oh and the stock exhaust looks like hell from the back. The Akra is worth the look alone, its so sexy!

-And FYI I am currently running the RPI GT X pipe w/resonators installed and Fabspeed mufflers.
I'm going for the akrapovic. Thanks all for the input.
__________________
Bubbles is offline   Cayman Islands
0
Reply With Quote
      12-13-2011, 10:58 PM   #27
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
THE TECH's Avatar
 
Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Kansas

Posts: 12,567
iTrader: (39)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to THE TECH Send a message via Skype™ to THE TECH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbles View Post
I'm going for the akrapovic. Thanks all for the input.
You won't be disappointed!
__________________
THE TECH is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-13-2011, 11:05 PM   #28
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
 
Singletrack's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 12 AW X5d
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Posts: 3,791
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbles View Post

I would enjoy the logging feature, especially for track days. I guess I should put my brand new modded OEM Muffler for sale soon.
Hahahahaha!

You're...welcome?

: )
Singletrack is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-14-2011, 12:00 AM   #29
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
tom @ eas's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Anaheim, CA

Posts: 9,658
iTrader: (13)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbles View Post
I'm going for the akrapovic. Thanks all for the input.
Great choice. Let me know if you need help in obtaining one.
__________________
Tom G. | european auto source (eas)
email: tom@europeanautosource.com web: www.europeanautosource.com tel 866.669.0705 ca: 714.369.8524 x22

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG FACEBOOK YOUTUBE FLICKR INSTAGRAM
tom @ eas is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-14-2011, 12:20 AM   #30
aus
Major General
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Seal Beach, CA

Posts: 6,987
iTrader: (5)

Maybe just get the slip on then? At least it won't smell.
__________________
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."

Last edited by aus; 12-14-2011 at 01:15 AM.
aus is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-14-2011, 12:25 AM   #31
L4ces
Captain
 
L4ces's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 Alpine White
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Nj

Posts: 646
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
Maybe just get the slick on then? At least it won't smell.
Aus, what does mean (HFCs)?
L4ces is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-14-2011, 01:16 AM   #32
klammer
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 11 spc gry m3 e90, 07 X5
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: chicago

Posts: 3,184
iTrader: (0)

High flow cats... And you'll love the akra on track
__________________
mods: akra evo, dinan 3.45 diff, ess akra tune, dinan stg.3, Alcon bbk, HRE P40
klammer is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-14-2011, 01:16 AM   #33
aus
Major General
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Seal Beach, CA

Posts: 6,987
iTrader: (5)

High flow cats.
__________________
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
aus is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-14-2011, 10:05 AM   #34
IMG
VT3
 
IMG's Avatar
 
Drives: E36 M3 Track car,Ess E90 M3 DD
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: The Couch

Posts: 6,867
iTrader: (5)

Ill offer my difference of oppinion. I had the akra evo, and it was extremely boring. The sound was rather mundane and lacked true character of this engine.
My personal oppion is that the best combo comes from using either the akra x pipe with a more aggressive exhaust or using a more aggressive x pipe with the akra axel back but not both together.
__________________
NO FEAR.NO LIMITS.NO EQUAL

Ess VT3 LC built motor,Volk TE37SL,Euro taillights,Dinan Xpipe,Custom Headers,Akra axle back CF tips,ModeCarbon FR lip,BMW CF wing
LOW BOOST 60-130 6.7 sec
IMG is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-14-2011, 10:09 AM   #35
IMG
VT3
 
IMG's Avatar
 
Drives: E36 M3 Track car,Ess E90 M3 DD
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: The Couch

Posts: 6,867
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by L4ces View Post
Hi guys, I've started thinking more about the in-cabin experience rather than outside tone. In-cabin would be windows partially or fully down. Although I have an AA rear, let me share this and id be curious if the Akra or modded sound is better described the same.

The AA is bassy and it also has a high pitch that is more like a smooth sign wave. Outside the car it sounds great as most do. Inside I don't hear the interesting stuff, I only hear a humm and a higher pitched hum. None of the grunt and racy sounds reach the cabin. My guess is that bassy sound doesn't travel as well.

When I had xpipes mated to my oem, the emphasis of sound was more in the mid range up to high. I didn't feel the rumble but I heard more interesting tones. A blip would be more pronounced like it just punched you in the face. Rev matching was alot easier. The AA rear only does have as pronounced blip but it is loud enough to rev match.

So, given thw Akra is bassy, would you say in-cabin experience similar to a bassy exhaust like the AA.

It's so hard trying to describe this. Bottom line is one can get bored if the in cabin is just a hum rather than a snotty cough like m performance and oem.
Akra evo is very quiet unless youre WOT and you dont get much more than a bit of a hum/resonance from it inside the cabin when cruising.
__________________
NO FEAR.NO LIMITS.NO EQUAL

Ess VT3 LC built motor,Volk TE37SL,Euro taillights,Dinan Xpipe,Custom Headers,Akra axle back CF tips,ModeCarbon FR lip,BMW CF wing
LOW BOOST 60-130 6.7 sec
IMG is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-14-2011, 10:41 AM   #36
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
THE TECH's Avatar
 
Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Kansas

Posts: 12,567
iTrader: (39)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to THE TECH Send a message via Skype™ to THE TECH
Quote:
Originally Posted by img View Post
Ill offer my difference of oppinion. I had the akra evo, and it was extremely boring. The sound was rather mundane and lacked true character of this engine.
My personal oppion is that the best combo comes from using either the akra x pipe with a more aggressive exhaust or using a more aggressive x pipe with the akra axel back but not both together.
That concept is constantly on my mind. We'll see how I feel after some more prolonged usage. Hard to get away from the weight factor though. Anything else will undoubtedly be heavier.
__________________
THE TECH is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-14-2011, 10:47 AM   #37
IMG
VT3
 
IMG's Avatar
 
Drives: E36 M3 Track car,Ess E90 M3 DD
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: The Couch

Posts: 6,867
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
That concept is constantly on my mind. We'll see how I feel after some more prolonged usage. Hard to get away from the weight factor though. Anything else will undoubtedly be heavier.
Again, akra makes some of the best stuff, and the weight is quite substantial. 50 lbs is nothing to scoff at, although, at the same time youre removing weight from the lowest part of the car (thus probably increasing CG) and 50 lbs on a 3700 lbs car are almost negligible at best.
I just felt let down by the sound because so many people talked it up as being great sounding (which lead me to buy) and IMO it wasnt at all.
That said, having the akra x pipe and AA rear has been great (and is only about 15 lbs heavier than the full akra so weight savings are still there...but its about to change again! (keeping akra x pipe of course though).
__________________
NO FEAR.NO LIMITS.NO EQUAL

Ess VT3 LC built motor,Volk TE37SL,Euro taillights,Dinan Xpipe,Custom Headers,Akra axle back CF tips,ModeCarbon FR lip,BMW CF wing
LOW BOOST 60-130 6.7 sec
IMG is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-14-2011, 10:52 AM   #38
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
THE TECH's Avatar
 
Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Kansas

Posts: 12,567
iTrader: (39)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to THE TECH Send a message via Skype™ to THE TECH
Quote:
Originally Posted by img View Post
Again, akra makes some of the best stuff, and the weight is quite substantial. 50 lbs is nothing to scoff at, although, at the same time youre removing weight from the lowest part of the car (thus probably increasing CG) and 50 lbs on a 3700 lbs car are almost negligible at best.
I just felt let down by the sound because so many people talked it up as being great sounding (which lead me to buy) and IMO it wasnt at all.
That said, having the akra x pipe and AA rear has been great (and is only about 15 lbs heavier than the full akra so weight savings are still there...but its about to change again! (keeping akra x pipe of course though).
I agree. I was expecting a bit more sound. I don't mind loud either and the Akra definitely isn't loud throughout the rpm range wish is a let down. All-in-all though, I enjoy it so far.
__________________
THE TECH is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-14-2011, 12:08 PM   #39
klammer
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 11 spc gry m3 e90, 07 X5
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: chicago

Posts: 3,184
iTrader: (0)

Definitely think there are louder more aggressive setups no doubt, but just like our cars, think the akra is a perfect blend of civility and sportiness. Heard my wife drive away this morning and almost wet myself... "I" love it, but as always....blah, blah, blah...
__________________
mods: akra evo, dinan 3.45 diff, ess akra tune, dinan stg.3, Alcon bbk, HRE P40
klammer is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:46 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST