BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav
 
Mtrack
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-10-2011, 04:08 PM   #1
soberin
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: M3 E90
Join Date: May 2010
Location: USA

Posts: 214
iTrader: (0)

Can the dealer retrofit premium audio system?

I have an 09 E90 M3 with std audio. How can I upgrade to the factory premium option?
soberin is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-10-2011, 05:22 PM   #2
Technic
Lieutenant General
 
Technic's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, 2014 528i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ft Lauderdale, Florida

Posts: 10,589
iTrader: (16)

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by soberin View Post
I have an 09 E90 M3 with std audio. How can I upgrade to the factory premium option?
A dealer can supply and install all the Premium Audio parts, but it cannot code your car for it.
__________________
-2012 E92 M3 Jerez Black/Rust Brown, M-DCT: September ED
-2008 E90 M3 Melbourne Red/Bamboo, 6MT: Gone
-2007 MK5 GTI United Grey/Grey, DSG: Gone
-2004 E46 M3 Carbon Black/Cinnamon, 6MT: Gone
-2002 E46 330i Orient Blue/Natural Brown, 5MT: Gone
Technic is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-10-2011, 11:54 PM   #3
kmarei
Major General
 
kmarei's Avatar
 
Drives: 1988 E30 M3 Evo II
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Reston, VA

Posts: 6,456
iTrader: (32)

Garage List
Why not upgrade to aftermarket and get better sound, better components, for less money?
__________________
This user has been banned from the 4 series forum because he doesn't sing its merits like the admins want us all to

kmarei is offline   Egypt
0
Reply With Quote
      12-11-2011, 03:38 AM   #4
soberin
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: M3 E90
Join Date: May 2010
Location: USA

Posts: 214
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarei View Post
Why not upgrade to aftermarket and get better sound, better components, for less money?
I could, but I'm just looking for the path of least resistance. What does it mean that the dealer can't "code" the car if they install a higher end factory audio?
soberin is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-11-2011, 07:50 AM   #5
Technic
Lieutenant General
 
Technic's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, 2014 528i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ft Lauderdale, Florida

Posts: 10,589
iTrader: (16)

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by soberin View Post
I could, but I'm just looking for the path of least resistance. What does it mean that the dealer can't "code" the car if they install a higher end factory audio?
It means that no sound will come out of the new parts.
__________________
-2012 E92 M3 Jerez Black/Rust Brown, M-DCT: September ED
-2008 E90 M3 Melbourne Red/Bamboo, 6MT: Gone
-2007 MK5 GTI United Grey/Grey, DSG: Gone
-2004 E46 M3 Carbon Black/Cinnamon, 6MT: Gone
-2002 E46 330i Orient Blue/Natural Brown, 5MT: Gone
Technic is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-11-2011, 09:45 AM   #6
soberin
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: M3 E90
Join Date: May 2010
Location: USA

Posts: 214
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
It means that no sound will come out of the new parts.
Thank you for such an interesting answer. I'll check with my dealer tomorrow and see if that is indeed true.
soberin is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-11-2011, 10:15 AM   #7
kmarei
Major General
 
kmarei's Avatar
 
Drives: 1988 E30 M3 Evo II
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Reston, VA

Posts: 6,456
iTrader: (32)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by soberin View Post
I could, but I'm just looking for the path of least resistance. What does it mean that the dealer can't "code" the car if they install a higher end factory audio?
It's not that path of least resistance
You'll have to find a way to code the head unit
Then you'll have to run optical fiber cables all the way to the trunk
plus you'll be paying a lot more than the $1900 original cost of the enhanced premium sound for all the parts


Plan B means you install an amp in the back, and replace the speakers
I've had HIFI in my old 08 M3
And now I have enhanced
It's not worth $1900
I knew that when i ordered it
And I knew I was going to upgrade it
But I only got it so I would not have to make any changes in the cabin
All work can be done in the trunk now
Convenience I guess
__________________
This user has been banned from the 4 series forum because he doesn't sing its merits like the admins want us all to

kmarei is offline   Egypt
0
Reply With Quote
      12-11-2011, 10:57 AM   #8
Technic
Lieutenant General
 
Technic's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, 2014 528i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ft Lauderdale, Florida

Posts: 10,589
iTrader: (16)

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by soberin View Post
Thank you for such an interesting answer. I'll check with my dealer tomorrow and see if that is indeed true.
The same answer that has been given so many times for this same question in this forum. Nevertheless, it can be done but not by any dealer unless somehow they convince the factory rep to code your iDrive for it. And that's not going to happen at the dealer's service bay.
__________________
-2012 E92 M3 Jerez Black/Rust Brown, M-DCT: September ED
-2008 E90 M3 Melbourne Red/Bamboo, 6MT: Gone
-2007 MK5 GTI United Grey/Grey, DSG: Gone
-2004 E46 M3 Carbon Black/Cinnamon, 6MT: Gone
-2002 E46 330i Orient Blue/Natural Brown, 5MT: Gone

Last edited by Technic; 12-11-2011 at 11:04 AM.
Technic is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-11-2011, 11:00 AM   #9
SchnellM3
Digger
 
SchnellM3's Avatar
 
Drives: 03 E46 M3, 09 E92 M3, 09 X6 50
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Pa

Posts: 2,612
iTrader: (5)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by soberin View Post
Thank you for such an interesting answer. I'll check with my dealer tomorrow and see if that is indeed true.
It is indeed true. When I took delivery of my car back in 09 they factory didn't install the Premium Sound as I had ordered. Long story short I found out the dealer modified an order they had already placed and "forgot" to change that option.

Anyhow after months of research and talking with different dealers, master techs and BMW NA. It is not possible to make the switch or I would have done it. I just decided to live with it, the stock system isn't really all that bad anyhow. Plus once you throw a exhaust on there you'll barely listen to it.

If you really need to upgrade just use better aftermarket parts as stated above and blow the logic 7 away....


Also if there is anyone on here who would know about doing something like this it would be Technic.... Just saying since you seem to be newer here...
__________________
2009 E92 M3 /// Melbourne Red /// Fox Red /// M DKG

Full Innotech Exhaust - DINAN Intake - IND Engine Bay Appearance - IND Hand Stitched Boot Covers - and much more....
SchnellM3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-11-2011, 11:42 AM   #10
soberin
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: M3 E90
Join Date: May 2010
Location: USA

Posts: 214
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchnellM3 View Post
It is indeed true. When I took delivery of my car back in 09 they factory didn't install the Premium Sound as I had ordered. Long story short I found out the dealer modified an order they had already placed and "forgot" to change that option.

Anyhow after months of research and talking with different dealers, master techs and BMW NA. It is not possible to make the switch or I would have done it. I just decided to live with it, the stock system isn't really all that bad anyhow. Plus once you throw a exhaust on there you'll barely listen to it.

If you really need to upgrade just use better aftermarket parts as stated above and blow the logic 7 away....


Also if there is anyone on here who would know about doing something like this it would be Technic.... Just saying since you seem to be newer here...
Well, in that case I'll just continue to listen to the engine growl.
soberin is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:04 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST