BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board
 
European Auto Source
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-06-2011, 07:52 PM   #23
yakev724
Brigadier General
yakev724's Avatar
Russian Federation
64
Rep
3,559
Posts

 
Drives: 00 RX300
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ithaca, NY

iTrader: (49)

I would go with a well equipped e70 x5; N55 if brand new, or the 4.4 if you don't mind one *slightly* used.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2011, 08:03 PM   #24
BTM
Banned
United_States
172
Rep
10,314
Posts

 
Drives: A///MERICAN!!!
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: A///MERICA!!!

iTrader: (11)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Questforpower View Post
And you will be able to insure it for the 5 years for the other $1800? You are creeping very close to that 70K if not going over. Nice car though; I thought about one at one point.
Qualified as a commercial vehicle and put on the business insurance...maybe
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2011, 08:06 PM   #25
BMWinNorthdakota
Banned
60
Rep
1,109
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 bmw 335i e90
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Fargo ND

iTrader: (0)

[quote=Questforpower;10930673]And you will be able to insure it for the 5 years for the other $1800? You are creeping very close to that 70K if not going over. Nice car though; I thought about one at one point.



Same as above.



I should have stipulated US; this makes a big difference with prices around the world.



Do you think one will be reliable north of 100K miles? Direct injected, supercharged VW made vehicle?



Please tell me where you are buying one brand new under 70K?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglesfan83 View Post
E90 M3 with 100k maintenance or S4[/QUOTE

Same as other S4 comment.



Is this the hemi one? If so you are surely not thinking about fuel efficiency.



The stipulations clearly state this is your only car.



As your primary car? You must have just hit 19 or very close...


Here you go bro
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2011, 08:10 PM   #26
Q4P
Colonel
Q4P's Avatar
United_States
33
Rep
2,295
Posts

 
Drives: Too Much
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: World

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTM View Post
Qualified as a commercial vehicle and put on the business insurance...maybe
If you have tricks up your sleeve; sure why not?

[quote=BMWinNorthdakota;10930764]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Questforpower View Post
And you will be able to insure it for the 5 years for the other $1800? You are creeping very close to that 70K if not going over. Nice car though; I thought about one at one point.



Same as above.



I should have stipulated US; this makes a big difference with prices around the world.



Do you think one will be reliable north of 100K miles? Direct injected, supercharged VW made vehicle?



Please tell me where you are buying one brand new under 70K?





Here you go bro
Doesn't look too comfortable...

The stipulations were simple; I notice on this website though people tend to creep very close to the limit or go over it slightly... seem like somewhat of lack of reason. Whatever though... it's simply friendly car talk
__________________
2jZ + RB26 + 4G63 + LS9 + N54 =
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2011, 08:11 PM   #27
BTM
Banned
United_States
172
Rep
10,314
Posts

 
Drives: A///MERICAN!!!
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: A///MERICA!!!

iTrader: (11)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Questforpower View Post
I notice on this website though people tend to creep very close to the limit or go over it slightly... seem like somewhat of lack of reason. Whatever though... it's simply friendly car talk
Spending imaginary money...why not spend all of it?

But a 70k budget for a car should mean a 70k budget for a car. In this hypothetical situation, if you can afford 70k for transportation and not eat away at savings and funds for other expenditures, how close to 70k you get shouldn't make a difference. If spending all of the 70k on a car and related costs is felt elsewhere, your budget truly isn't 70k
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2011, 08:14 PM   #28
e for effort
Rolling Republic
e for effort's Avatar
United_States
2
Rep
236
Posts

 
Drives: M Coupe
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Sacramento

iTrader: (1)

Fuel efficiency on the 392 might not compare to a Prius, but I'd assume that if I have a $70k to spend on a car my job pays well enough for me to afford gas. It probably gets 1-2 less miles than an M3, so it's not far off.

If that doesn't help my argument than hands down an STi. More than enough money left over for gas and maintenance. Not to mention this was what I was considering before the BMW in my garage. /shrug
__________________
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2011, 08:34 PM   #29
Q4P
Colonel
Q4P's Avatar
United_States
33
Rep
2,295
Posts

 
Drives: Too Much
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: World

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTM View Post
Spending imaginary money...why not spend all of it?

But a 70k budget for a car should mean a 70k budget for a car. In this hypothetical situation, if you can afford 70k for transportation and not eat away at savings and funds for other expenditures, how close to 70k you get shouldn't make a difference. If spending all of the 70k on a car and related costs is felt elsewhere, your budget truly isn't 70k
Understood; although I did mention other costs included but close enough.
__________________
2jZ + RB26 + 4G63 + LS9 + N54 =
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2011, 08:36 PM   #30
BTM
Banned
United_States
172
Rep
10,314
Posts

 
Drives: A///MERICAN!!!
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: A///MERICA!!!

iTrader: (11)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Questforpower View Post
Understood; although I did mention other costs included but close enough.
Again, the benefits of working for family business

As a commercial vehicle, all maintenance items and repairs can be considered overhead, as long as the vehicle qualifies and is used primarily for work related purposes (commuting counts)
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2011, 08:36 PM   #31
Q4P
Colonel
Q4P's Avatar
United_States
33
Rep
2,295
Posts

 
Drives: Too Much
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: World

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by e for effort View Post
Fuel efficiency on the 392 might not compare to a Prius, but I'd assume that if I have a $70k to spend on a car my job pays well enough for me to afford gas. It probably gets 1-2 less miles than an M3, so it's not far off.

If that doesn't help my argument than hands down an STi. More than enough money left over for gas and maintenance. Not to mention this was what I was considering before the BMW in my garage. /shrug
You are more than well within the budget so if the mileage is OK with you; then it's no problem.
__________________
2jZ + RB26 + 4G63 + LS9 + N54 =
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2011, 08:44 PM   #32
Wakka
but no flokka
Wakka's Avatar
United_States
35
Rep
440
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 1er
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Tampa

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Questforpower View Post

As your primary car? You must have just hit 19 or very close...
Im 24, you can easily fit 2 children in the back and the seats fold down... plenty of room for groceries. The 1 series is about hte same size as an E46.

I rest my case:


__________________
M-Sport, 6MT, Hardwired V1, StopTech Sportpack, Perf. Intake, Perf. Exhaust, AFE Scoops, Perf. Carbon Spoiler, Perf. Carbon Diffuser, Enkei RPF1's, Conti Extreme DW's

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTM View Post
Entourage sucks. BTM hates everything

Last edited by Wakka; 12-06-2011 at 08:54 PM.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2011, 08:55 PM   #33
Q4P
Colonel
Q4P's Avatar
United_States
33
Rep
2,295
Posts

 
Drives: Too Much
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: World

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakka View Post
Im 24, you can easily fit 2 children in the back and the seats fold down... plenty of room for groceries. The 1 series is about hte same size as an E46.
Did you consider that it is a 1-off car that was limited production and can no longer be purchased new? Is this really a car that you want as your primary car that you will put over 100K miles on over a few years (a car that could be a collectors item)?

Also; what do you need tampons and so much toilet paper for? lol
__________________
2jZ + RB26 + 4G63 + LS9 + N54 =
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2011, 08:57 PM   #34
Wakka
but no flokka
Wakka's Avatar
United_States
35
Rep
440
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 1er
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Tampa

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Questforpower View Post
Did you consider that it is a 1-off car that was limited production and can no longer be purchased new? Is this really a car that you want as your primary car that you will put over 100K miles on over a few years (a car that could be a collectors item)?
you cant order one anymore, true. dealers still have them though. my friend is trading his 335is in for a NEW one. and yes i understand it 'could' become a collectors car, that wasnt part of the question.

also not my picture, took it from a 1addicts thread.
__________________
M-Sport, 6MT, Hardwired V1, StopTech Sportpack, Perf. Intake, Perf. Exhaust, AFE Scoops, Perf. Carbon Spoiler, Perf. Carbon Diffuser, Enkei RPF1's, Conti Extreme DW's

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTM View Post
Entourage sucks. BTM hates everything
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2011, 09:09 PM   #35
carve
Major
carve's Avatar
30
Rep
1,098
Posts

 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: usa

iTrader: (0)

I need something good at hauling outdoor gear around. Probably a 535i wagon or X5 if I'm not going to worry about long-term reliability, depreciation, or maintenance costs. If I DID have to worry about those things, it'd probably be more like a loaded Acura MDX, Infiniti FX or Jeep Grand Cherokee. I would add the RX350 but that's about the dullest driving car on the market.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2011, 10:01 PM   #36
silvergray545
Skittles
silvergray545's Avatar
Lebanon
45
Rep
454
Posts

 
Drives: E60 545i Sport
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Cleveland, OH

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2005 545i Sport  [0.00]
OP is questioning everyone's selection like it's the wrong thing to do. Since I don't feel like getting interrogated, I'll make it simple. I'd buy a Civic because the OP is so anal about fuel efficiency, maintenance and insurance. It would have to be an Si though. Not a fan of super soft suspensions. If I'm feeling ballsy, I might go for an Evo.

Now, if I wasn't being a Jew with my money, I'd buy an E92 335is or an F10 535i M Sport.
__________________

Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not f*cking your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2011, 10:18 PM   #37
fokus45
Enlisted Member
0
Rep
43
Posts

 
Drives: little blue dune buggy
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: WY

iTrader: (0)

Ford Raptor.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2011, 11:06 PM   #38
Brey335i
Brigadier General
Brey335i's Avatar
52
Rep
4,737
Posts

 
Drives: e46 ///M3
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Austin, TX

iTrader: (11)

Didn't I make this choice already?
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2011, 12:01 AM   #39
HotIce
Banned
United_States
29
Rep
445
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 BMW M3
Join Date: May 2010
Location: I'm not telling some creeper where I live!

iTrader: (0)

Volvo S60? Fits all of your criteria. Even has 5 years of Maintenance included.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2011, 12:03 AM   #40
HotIce
Banned
United_States
29
Rep
445
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 BMW M3
Join Date: May 2010
Location: I'm not telling some creeper where I live!

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTM View Post
Again, the benefits of working for family business

As a commercial vehicle, all maintenance items and repairs can be considered overhead, as long as the vehicle qualifies and is used primarily for work related purposes (commuting counts)
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2011, 12:11 AM   #41
///M Dream
Second Lieutenant
///M Dream's Avatar
5
Rep
202
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 BMW M3
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Phoenix, AZ

iTrader: (2)

535i M-sport. No brainer
__________________
2015 F80 M3
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2011, 12:24 AM   #42
vzehler
Private First Class
United_States
1
Rep
134
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Hamilton, Ohio

iTrader: (0)

I know I'm gonna get flamed for this but how about an equus?
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2011, 01:12 AM   #43
e90fun
('''\(;,,,;)/''')
e90fun's Avatar
36
Rep
1,683
Posts

 
Drives: AW 335i e90
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: San Diego, CA / Santa Rosa, CA

iTrader: (14)

535i or 335d.

depending on how much room you want.

or just sack up and spend a couple extra thousand to get the x5.

new x5 are rediculously nice..
__________________
Stock 08` Alpine White E90 335i
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2011, 10:09 AM   #44
Naptime
#Hashtag
Naptime's Avatar
2
Rep
246
Posts

 
Drives: around in circles
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: South Texas

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vzehler View Post
I know I'm gonna get flamed for this but how about an equus?
Why get flamed? I've seen a few on the road and they seem like nice cars.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:07 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST