Bimmerpost for iOS has just been updated to version 3.8.9 with a host of new features and bug fixes. Try it out!
BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos
 
GTB Performance
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-22-2011, 04:15 PM   #23
aajami
Brigadier General
aajami's Avatar
United_States
75
Rep
4,188
Posts

Drives: Space Gray '09 E92 M3
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Manhattan Beach, CA

iTrader: (4)

I feel sorry for this family's tragic loss, but whether it's twisting a traditional key or pushing a button, the act of turning off a car still requires action on the driver's part. How is this anyone other than the driver's fault?
__________________
'09 E92 M3: Space Gray, Black, Carbon Leather | ZTP 2MK ZPP 2MT 6FL | link 1 / link 2
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | JPN 240 ECU flash | Euro LCI taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2011, 04:48 PM   #24
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
E90SLAM's Avatar
Hong Kong
891
Rep
61,191
Posts

Drives: A BBS WHORE
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: .

iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2006 330i  [4.67]
Tragic...but that's why you need a droning exhaust???
"Damn the car is loud...turn that shit off!!!"
__________________
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2011, 05:17 PM   #25
san~man
Tired
san~man's Avatar
48
Rep
2,625
Posts

Drives: BMW-less
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: USA

iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pangloss View Post
I'd sue too. We see posts here all the time from people who walk outside one morning to find all their windows rolled down because their keys bumped up against something in the house overnight. This is the same thing. Remote start systems clearly have to have auto-off after 10-15 minutes. I'm amazed to hear that there's a remote start system out there that doesn't include this feature. Its manufacturer needs to be sued.
Then you're part of the problem too.
__________________
BMW-less
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2011, 05:18 PM   #26
ScarecrowBoat
Zooombie attaaack!!
ScarecrowBoat's Avatar
United_States
13
Rep
894
Posts

Drives: 2012 328i
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NEB

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2012 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pangloss View Post
I'd sue too. We see posts here all the time from people who walk outside one morning to find all their windows rolled down because their keys bumped up against something in the house overnight. This is the same thing. Remote start systems clearly have to have auto-off after 10-15 minutes. I'm amazed to hear that there's a remote start system out there that doesn't include this feature. Its manufacturer needs to be sued.
It wasn't remote start ya dunce, it was keyless ignition. She literally pulled into the garage, didn't shut her car off, went inside. What the hell do you expect?
__________________
13 Nissan 370z
08 Range Rover Sport SC
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2011, 07:02 PM   #27
M1Fan
New Member
1
Rep
6
Posts

Drives: 2009 E60 535i
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by immiketoo View Post
...Darwin applies here.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2011, 08:58 PM   #28
Pangloss
Lieutenant
Pangloss's Avatar
6
Rep
563
Posts

Drives: 2012 135i Convertible
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: South Florida

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aajami View Post
I feel sorry for this family's tragic loss, but whether it's twisting a traditional key or pushing a button, the act of turning off a car still requires action on the driver's part. How is this anyone other than the driver's fault?
No it doesn't. I've seen a number of posts from BMW owners who accidentally powered-down their windows overnight without realizing it, only to find their cars full of water the next morning.

Stuff happens. It's common sense to stop "stuff" from killing people if there's an easy way to do that. There's an easy way to do that here, and most manufacturers implement it (auto-off after 15 min, etc). If this manufacturer can't be bothered to do that, then the only recourse to change their minds is a public lawsuit.
__________________
2012 135i convertible, DCT, Black/Beige, HK, Prem, M sport, no nav.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2011, 09:12 PM   #29
san~man
Tired
san~man's Avatar
48
Rep
2,625
Posts

Drives: BMW-less
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: USA

iTrader: (7)

Which manufacturer has an "auto off after 15 mins" function built into their cars? None that I know of.

If that was the case, if you're sitting in your car parked, intentionally idling, your car would shut off. Or, if you had a remote start system, and you started the car to warm/cool down the inside, it would turn off. That's more stupid that someone forgetting to turn off their car.

Then, some other asshole would sue the manufacturer, saying I can't run my car idling for longer than 15 minutes without it shutting off.

People like you and them should take the bus, but you'd still find something to sue the bus company over
__________________
BMW-less
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2011, 09:49 PM   #30
Sylon
Brigadier General
Sylon's Avatar
United_States
60
Rep
3,422
Posts

Drives: 2011 135i, SG/CR, 6MT, M-Sport
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Michigan / Ohio

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 135i  [4.60]
Quote:
Originally Posted by san~man View Post
Which manufacturer has an "auto off after 15 mins" function built into their cars? None that I know of.

If that was the case, if you're sitting in your car parked, intentionally idling, your car would shut off. Or, if you had a remote start system, and you started the car to warm/cool down the inside, it would turn off. That's more stupid that someone forgetting to turn off their car.

Then, some other asshole would sue the manufacturer, saying I can't run my car idling for longer than 15 minutes without it shutting off.

People like you and them should take the bus, but you'd still find something to sue the bus company over

Exactly, say a car had that 15min-auto-off feature, a car stranded in traffic for whatever reason for 15 minutes or more, then when traffic starts to go, he/she doesn't realize the engine is off, goes to accelerate, doesn't move and then gets rear-ended by the car behind them.

Or, people who own the damn car could learn how to turn the thing off! I like this idea better than the 15min-auto-off feature.
__________________

2011 BMW 135i | Space Gray | ///M-Sport | BMW CCA #450291
Facebook / Instagram / YouTube / Twitter
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2011, 10:42 PM   #31
aajami
Brigadier General
aajami's Avatar
United_States
75
Rep
4,188
Posts

Drives: Space Gray '09 E92 M3
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Manhattan Beach, CA

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pangloss View Post
No it doesn't. I've seen a number of posts from BMW owners who accidentally powered-down their windows overnight without realizing it, only to find their cars full of water the next morning.

Stuff happens. It's common sense to stop "stuff" from killing people if there's an easy way to do that. There's an easy way to do that here, and most manufacturers implement it (auto-off after 15 min, etc). If this manufacturer can't be bothered to do that, then the only recourse to change their minds is a public lawsuit.
Please post links to a number of posts of BMW owners who have accidentally lowered their windows to find their cars full of water the next morning.
__________________
'09 E92 M3: Space Gray, Black, Carbon Leather | ZTP 2MK ZPP 2MT 6FL | link 1 / link 2
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | JPN 240 ECU flash | Euro LCI taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2011, 11:27 PM   #32
Cdnrockies
Banned
Canada
21
Rep
1,113
Posts

Drives: BMW's
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Calgary

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by san~man View Post
Which manufacturer has an "auto off after 15 mins" function built into their cars? None that I know of.

If that was the case, if you're sitting in your car parked, intentionally idling, your car would shut off. Or, if you had a remote start system, and you started the car to warm/cool down the inside, it would turn off. That's more stupid that someone forgetting to turn off their car.

Then, some other asshole would sue the manufacturer, saying I can't run my car idling for longer than 15 minutes without it shutting off.

People like you and them should take the bus, but you'd still find something to sue the bus company over
Aftermarket remote start systems do, typically, shut off after a period of time. 15 minutes should be enough time to heat/cool it other than very extreme temperatures. You can, of course, re-start it remotely then. You wouldn't want to forget about it and run out of gas.

However, remote starts are not the issue here. The non-issue is "keyless" ignition. This is no different, as other posters have mentioned, than leaving the keys in the ignition and walking away. The ridiculousness of this situation is sad. Will be a front runner for a 2011 Darwin Award.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2011, 02:58 AM   #33
Pangloss
Lieutenant
Pangloss's Avatar
6
Rep
563
Posts

Drives: 2012 135i Convertible
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: South Florida

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aajami View Post
Please post links to a number of posts of BMW owners who have accidentally lowered their windows to find their cars full of water the next morning.
Sure, four independent examples (different owners) from the same thread from 1addicts earlier this year are linked below. I believe only one mentioned finding water in his car the next morning, but they all did the same thing with the remote.

If you want more, bimmerpost has a cross-site search function. Bit tricky to wade through the results, but they're there.

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...44&postcount=1
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...90&postcount=3
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...4&postcount=16
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...7&postcount=17
__________________
2012 135i convertible, DCT, Black/Beige, HK, Prem, M sport, no nav.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2011, 03:53 AM   #34
san~man
Tired
san~man's Avatar
48
Rep
2,625
Posts

Drives: BMW-less
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: USA

iTrader: (7)

Those are all examples of user error, as is the topic of this thread
__________________
BMW-less
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2011, 09:24 PM   #35
aajami
Brigadier General
aajami's Avatar
United_States
75
Rep
4,188
Posts

Drives: Space Gray '09 E92 M3
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Manhattan Beach, CA

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pangloss View Post
Sure, four independent examples (different owners) from the same thread from 1addicts earlier this year are linked below. I believe only one mentioned finding water in his car the next morning, but they all did the same thing with the remote.

If you want more, bimmerpost has a cross-site search function. Bit tricky to wade through the results, but they're there.

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...44&postcount=1
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...90&postcount=3
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...4&postcount=16
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...7&postcount=17
I didn't see your reply until now. Indeed, this looks like it happens more often than I thought.

That said, the owner was still at fault for not turning off the car before she stepped out of it.

Sad tale, either way.
__________________
'09 E92 M3: Space Gray, Black, Carbon Leather | ZTP 2MK ZPP 2MT 6FL | link 1 / link 2
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | JPN 240 ECU flash | Euro LCI taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2011, 10:12 PM   #36
Crimson92
Smiling Politely
Crimson92's Avatar
United_States
308
Rep
28,657
Posts

Drives: Like a boss
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Whales Vagina

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pangloss View Post
Sure, four independent examples (different owners) from the same thread from 1addicts earlier this year are linked below. I believe only one mentioned finding water in his car the next morning, but they all did the same thing with the remote.

If you want more, bimmerpost has a cross-site search function. Bit tricky to wade through the results, but they're there.

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...44&postcount=1
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...90&postcount=3
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...4&postcount=16
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...7&postcount=17
Just noticed that theyre all 1 series owners

....makes sense.


__________________
Quote:
Some people are like slinkies...not really good for much but you can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs"
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:11 PM.




m3post
m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST