BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board
 
European Auto Source
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-24-2011, 06:52 PM   #1
persian54
Lieutenant General
persian54's Avatar
United_States
283
Rep
15,808
Posts

 
Drives: SL550. Prev: E93 M3/335i/Z435i
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Valley, SoCal

iTrader: (291)

Samsung UN46C8000? (NSW Payment)

So..

I've had my eye on this TV since last year (well, I was originally looking at a 55C6000...but a 55in is too big for where I want to put it)

the 46C8000 was near $3k when I was looking at it

It's listed for $1446 on Amazon

I was thinking of getting one..but I think a year old TV isn't worth $1500

But then I found it for $1149 at SuperTVCity

$1149 is a pretty good price...

What do I have now?

a Samsung UN40B6000 IIRC... 120HZ, 1080p LED.

Why I want an upgrade?
My cousin recently got a UN55C7000 and the picture is amazing.
So a 8000 series would be even better right?
IIRC, the 8000 series is Samsung's top of the line? For this class.
Thoughts? Should I pull the trigger?

I can probably get about $500 for 2 year old Samsung 40in

Thanks








Appreciate 0
      11-24-2011, 06:56 PM   #2
The1
Major General
Canada
56
Rep
5,127
Posts

 
Drives: white 135
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: KW ontario/vancouver temporarily

iTrader: (0)

sorry, did you ask something?
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2011, 07:05 PM   #3
The1
Major General
Canada
56
Rep
5,127
Posts

 
Drives: white 135
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: KW ontario/vancouver temporarily

iTrader: (0)

honestly, if i remember correctly, I believe i picked up the 7000 about a year back, and absolutely love it and don't regret the purchase (slim 3D LED 55")

however, I look at the market now, and stuff like that can be purchased for less then half the price i picked it up for now. My friend just picked up a 60" LED for about half what i paid for my 55" and it's got about the same features, minus the 3D

my advice is, get the size you want, and the options you need. Don't look at the top of the line ones for no reason, don't get suckered in. The tvs that are a year old are just as good as the ones now, I don't need WIFI on my tv, I don't need 3D on my tv. just figure out what you do need, and go from there.

I basically bought top of the line for one reason, photo editing. That was my whole reasoning for taking the road I took, otherwise, i would have gone for something simpler and half the price.

besides, get something cheap because you and I both know, you'll be replacing the tv within 2-3 years anyhow with something newer, bigger, and more features that don't exist now
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2011, 08:02 PM   #4
persian54
Lieutenant General
persian54's Avatar
United_States
283
Rep
15,808
Posts

 
Drives: SL550. Prev: E93 M3/335i/Z435i
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Valley, SoCal

iTrader: (291)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1 View Post
honestly, if i remember correctly, I believe i picked up the 7000 about a year back, and absolutely love it and don't regret the purchase (slim 3D LED 55")

however, I look at the market now, and stuff like that can be purchased for less then half the price i picked it up for now. My friend just picked up a 60" LED for about half what i paid for my 55" and it's got about the same features, minus the 3D

my advice is, get the size you want, and the options you need. Don't look at the top of the line ones for no reason, don't get suckered in. The tvs that are a year old are just as good as the ones now, I don't need WIFI on my tv, I don't need 3D on my tv. just figure out what you do need, and go from there.

I basically bought top of the line for one reason, photo editing. That was my whole reasoning for taking the road I took, otherwise, i would have gone for something simpler and half the price.

besides, get something cheap because you and I both know, you'll be replacing the tv within 2-3 years anyhow with something newer, bigger, and more features that don't exist now

2 Years ago, I paid about $1k for my current UN40C6000
I did 2 years 0% interest, and I just paid it off lol. 0% FTW.


I can sell it for $500 to my aunt who wants it, so that means I only paid $500 to have the TV for 2 years...not too bad right?


The reason I'm looking at the UN46C8000:
I would like Wifi, but I think I will need to get the UN46D8000 for that (or maybe even the 9000 series)

I do want apps.
I use my 360 for Netflix, but I would love to have it on the TV so I don't need to use the 360.

I need a thin TV for where I have my set up. I want it to be stylish, and I like the design of the Samsungs.

When you got your C last year, you probably paid $2k+ for it right?

so at $1149, that's about half

I can't find anything under $1k with 1080p 240Z with apps


Only real question is do I need it...
No I don't... but if I don't sell my TV to my aunt, she will go buy something else.

We have 3 of the same UN40C6000 in the house, so it's not like I can put it elsewhere and replace it with the 46C8000.... hence why I need to sell my current TV to justify any new TV


even if I don't get the 46C8000....any other recommendations?
$1000-1300
240hz, 1080P LED

Thanks


The UN46D8000 is $1586, so $450 more
Not sure if it's worth it. only real interesting thing on is it the remote w/ keyboard...

Last edited by persian54; 11-24-2011 at 08:10 PM.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2011, 08:14 PM   #5
Oregano123
Banned.....j/k
Oregano123's Avatar
United_States
5
Rep
174
Posts

 
Drives: '09 535xi, '11 Panamera
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: South Dakota

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to Oregano123
there's a deal for a larger and newer model: 55 D8000
http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3517340

my bro bought the same 55 C8000 package last summer (summer 2010) at around 1.8k
__________________
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2011, 08:32 PM   #6
persian54
Lieutenant General
persian54's Avatar
United_States
283
Rep
15,808
Posts

 
Drives: SL550. Prev: E93 M3/335i/Z435i
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Valley, SoCal

iTrader: (291)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregano123 View Post
there's a deal for a larger and newer model: 55 D8000
http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3517340

my bro bought the same 55 C8000 package last summer (summer 2010) at around 1.8k
55in is too big...

but even so, the extra $$$ isn't worth it

a UN46D8000 is $1586, $500 more for a 55in isn't worth it (plus 55 is too big)

46C8000 is $1149-1446, so a good savings over the D8000 model
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2011, 10:53 PM   #7
The1
Major General
Canada
56
Rep
5,127
Posts

 
Drives: white 135
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: KW ontario/vancouver temporarily

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by persian54 View Post
55in is too big...

but even so, the extra $$$ isn't worth it

a UN46D8000 is $1586, $500 more for a 55in isn't worth it (plus 55 is too big)

46C8000 is $1149-1446, so a good savings over the D8000 model
I think size is relative.

if you're in a small room, don't even consider a 55"

my buddy's 60" is way too big for his viewing area, where my place i settled with a 55" because it was the best at the time, I could easily do a 60" and people wouldn't think it was too big. But my living area is massive.

When i move on to my next TV, my mom will get my 55" and it will still be too small for the space in her place. but again, it's all relative.

I'd love to do a projector, but there's no point, my place is too small for it, or it would be pointless with the space i have. If you have a projector, go big. Otherwise it's wasted.

those new 70 and 80" tvs that just came out are borderlined rediculous, but if your living room is 50' long by 50' wide, it's going to be too small still.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2011, 10:59 PM   #8
persian54
Lieutenant General
persian54's Avatar
United_States
283
Rep
15,808
Posts

 
Drives: SL550. Prev: E93 M3/335i/Z435i
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Valley, SoCal

iTrader: (291)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1 View Post
I think size is relative.

if you're in a small room, don't even consider a 55"

my buddy's 60" is way too big for his viewing area, where my place i settled with a 55" because it was the best at the time, I could easily do a 60" and people wouldn't think it was too big. But my living area is massive.

When i move on to my next TV, my mom will get my 55" and it will still be too small for the space in her place. but again, it's all relative.

I'd love to do a projector, but there's no point, my place is too small for it, or it would be pointless with the space i have. If you have a projector, go big. Otherwise it's wasted.

those new 70 and 80" tvs that just came out are borderlined rediculous, but if your living room is 50' long by 50' wide, it's going to be too small still.
Yeah 55 is too much

The distance between where I sit and my TB is about 10-15 ft (I move around sometimes)

the 40 works, but sometimes it's too small, especially when playing Halo.

hence why I want a 46
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2011, 11:01 PM   #9
rollinstone157
Brotographer
rollinstone157's Avatar
United_States
24
Rep
1,701
Posts

 
Drives: 2010 328i xDrive Sedan
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NJ, USA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
OK, so I don't know what you're willing to spend on a TV, but let me tell you this; I've seen quite a few TVs, ranging from low-end to extremely high end (65" Pioneer KURO ), and being completely honest here, the picture quality on these new LED LCD displays really doesn't wow me. Not only do I hate the way the TV's interpolate frames (granted, you can turn it off), but I've found that I can visually identify when the backlight is dimming to its various levels for improved contrast, and frankly, it's incredibly annoying.

Have you considered a plasma screen? If you haven't find a buddy with a good plasma setup, or go to a dedicated home theater store. All the guys there should tell you that, talking in terms of picture quality, Plasma is the best (because it is! On the Consumer Reports list of TVs with the best picture quality, all of the top 5 were plasma). And among plasmas, now that Pioneer has stopped making the KURO line, it's widely known that Panasonic makes the best Plasma displays (on the same list referenced before, Panasonic made the top plasma panel).

I would shoot for either the ST30 (better) line, or the GT30 (best), if 3D is a top priority. If not, then the S30 (very good) line will do just fine. Oh, and now let's talk price. If you want a 46" inch screen, then Amazon has the S30 model at $727 and change, and the ST30 at $870; and if you upgrade to a 50" screen size, you can get the S30 at $770, the ST30 at $900, and the GT30 at $1100 (as of 11/24 @ 11PM). While the 50" GT30 is an expensive TV, I can't sing the praises of the top of the line Panasonic plasma displays.

Currently, we have a total of 3 Panasonic Plasma displays in our house. One of them is the 65" equivalent to the GT30 (2D panel, last generation), and it is incredible. I haven't seen any TV come close to the picture quality that this can put out. I would be willing to personally guarantee you that, if you get a Panasonic Plasma, you will not be disappointed. Take it a step farther by color-calibrating the display, setting up a proper surround-sound system, and you'll have the best home-theater system on a budget on the block (unless you live on a block with audio/videophiles)
__________________
Reviews -|- HPB "Ultimate" LED Interior Kit -|- Noyka Cornering Bulbs -|- HPB 20W AE [OLD] -|- LUX H8 V4 -|- New Reviews Pending Vendor Approval
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2011, 11:04 PM   #10
persian54
Lieutenant General
persian54's Avatar
United_States
283
Rep
15,808
Posts

 
Drives: SL550. Prev: E93 M3/335i/Z435i
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Valley, SoCal

iTrader: (291)

I used to have a Plasma TV (while ago) but I have never personally liked Plasma displays vs LED/LCD Displays...

I use it for a mix of movies and games (Halo, COD).
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2011, 08:48 PM   #11
jlstyle
Major
jlstyle's Avatar
23
Rep
1,377
Posts

 
Drives: 1995 Taurus Wagon
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: nj

iTrader: (0)

There are no difference in PQ between 7000 and 8000.
C series can be hacked by pressing few buttons and reveal all hidden menus only 8000 have.
It's just that 8000 has shiny bezel if 7000 is unlocked.

And I'm not sure why you would get C series when there is D series on the market for more than 6 months now. E series will come out in few months...
__________________
1995 Taurus Wagon
Emerald Green Exterior/Green Interior/4 Speed AT/ABS Brakes/Cassette Player/Dual Airbags/Alloy Wheels/Auto locks/Auto Windows/Sunroof Delete/Chrome model designation
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2011, 08:56 PM   #12
rhouck
Registered
rhouck's Avatar
United_States
4
Rep
238
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Los Angeles, CA

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by persian54 View Post
Yeah 55 is too much

The distance between where I sit and my TB is about 10-15 ft (I move around sometimes)

the 40 works, but sometimes it's too small, especially when playing Halo.

hence why I want a 46
After you have it there for a week you won't think it is too big, ESPECIALLY if you are using it for movies/games.



http://myhometheater.homestead.com/v...alculator.html

I don't think I have ever met anyone (or at least any man that made the purchase, the wife/gf is a different story :lol ) who wished they had bought a smaller TV...
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2011, 09:06 PM   #13
persian54
Lieutenant General
persian54's Avatar
United_States
283
Rep
15,808
Posts

 
Drives: SL550. Prev: E93 M3/335i/Z435i
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Valley, SoCal

iTrader: (291)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhouck View Post
After you have it there for a week you won't think it is too big, ESPECIALLY if you are using it for movies/games.

I don't think I have ever met anyone (or at least any man that made the purchase, the wife/gf is a different story :lol ) who wished they had bought a smaller TV...
Not that I don't want bigger, but there's no room....

Cause my TV is in the corner of the room, and a 55in won't fit

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlstyle View Post

And I'm not sure why you would get C series when there is D series on the market for more than 6 months now. E series will come out in few months...
$300-500 price difference..
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2011, 09:16 PM   #14
E90SoFlo
Banned
53
Rep
2,675
Posts

 
Drives: E90 335i
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Naples, FL

iTrader: (9)

buy a bigger house.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2011, 10:26 PM   #15
e90fun
('''\(;,,,;)/''')
e90fun's Avatar
36
Rep
1,683
Posts

 
Drives: AW 335i e90
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: San Diego, CA / Santa Rosa, CA

iTrader: (14)

get the UN46D8000.

comes with qwerty keyboard and wireless built in.
__________________
Stock 08` Alpine White E90 335i
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2011, 11:40 PM   #16
jlstyle
Major
jlstyle's Avatar
23
Rep
1,377
Posts

 
Drives: 1995 Taurus Wagon
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: nj

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by persian54 View Post

$300-500 price difference..
Well because D series has more to offer now.
If $300-500 more for better technology is your concern, paying $300+ extra for getting 8000 over 7000 over a no difference other than bezel does not make sense.
C8000 isn't a great buy anymore... If you want to get a good looking tv with budget in mind, I would just get UND7000 or PND8000.
Just my 2 cents.
__________________
1995 Taurus Wagon
Emerald Green Exterior/Green Interior/4 Speed AT/ABS Brakes/Cassette Player/Dual Airbags/Alloy Wheels/Auto locks/Auto Windows/Sunroof Delete/Chrome model designation
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2011, 01:11 AM   #17
persian54
Lieutenant General
persian54's Avatar
United_States
283
Rep
15,808
Posts

 
Drives: SL550. Prev: E93 M3/335i/Z435i
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Valley, SoCal

iTrader: (291)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlstyle View Post
Well because D series has more to offer now.
If $300-500 more for better technology is your concern, paying $300+ extra for getting 8000 over 7000 over a no difference other than bezel does not make sense.
C8000 isn't a great buy anymore... If you want to get a good looking tv with budget in mind, I would just get UND7000 or PND8000.
Just my 2 cents.
I get what you mean by better technology

But I looked into it...correct me if I'm wrong but...it seems the only difference between a C and D is the keyboard remote.

and the D8000 comes with glasses, while the D7900 doesn't (nor doe the C8000)

Did I make a mistake?

If the difference between C and D is simply a remote...than how can it be worth 3-500 dollars?

If the D does indeed provide better picture, dimming, blacks etc...than I agree with you 100%. I just couldn't find any evidence that the D is worth it over the C. Please do prove me wrong.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2011, 11:01 AM   #18
Rookie83
First Lieutenant
Rookie83's Avatar
6
Rep
380
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 335i 6mt cpe
Join Date: May 2011
Location: DFW

iTrader: (1)

I got a sweet deal on my samsung led un55c6300, love that tv so much i went and bought the exact same one for my bedroom too
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2011, 11:32 AM   #19
persian54
Lieutenant General
persian54's Avatar
United_States
283
Rep
15,808
Posts

 
Drives: SL550. Prev: E93 M3/335i/Z435i
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Valley, SoCal

iTrader: (291)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie83 View Post
I got a sweet deal on my samsung led un55c6300, love that tv so much i went and bought the exact same one for my bedroom too
how much?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2011, 12:28 PM   #20
Rookie83
First Lieutenant
Rookie83's Avatar
6
Rep
380
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 335i 6mt cpe
Join Date: May 2011
Location: DFW

iTrader: (1)

the first one i bought was about a year ago, it was a one day only sale at comp usa for 1399.00...... the second one i bought for my bedroom i got at conns about 6 mos ago for 1299.00 because it was a display
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2011, 02:25 PM   #21
persian54
Lieutenant General
persian54's Avatar
United_States
283
Rep
15,808
Posts

 
Drives: SL550. Prev: E93 M3/335i/Z435i
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Valley, SoCal

iTrader: (291)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie83 View Post
the first one i bought was about a year ago, it was a one day only sale at comp usa for 1399.00...... the second one i bought for my bedroom i got at conns about 6 mos ago for 1299.00 because it was a display
o ok

for me though, i want 240hz, since we already have 3 6000 series
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2011, 10:40 PM   #22
BBBluey
Captain
BBBluey's Avatar
15
Rep
952
Posts

 
Drives: very slow and courteous
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Santa Maria, California

iTrader: (7)

I have the UN55C8000, bought it when it first came out from Sears and even got the 3yr home protection on it (yes I'm a sucker). Anyways, I love the picture and everyone that comes to my house...it never fails...always comments on how amazing it is. I don't really use the 3D as much but when I do...I just but can't help smile from the quality. Yes it's 240hz and you should be able to buy it as a bundle with a 3D Blu-ray player, 1 3D movie, and 2 each 3-D glasses (all items Samsung)....that's how I got mine and bought two more 3-D glasses. If the remote is a concern, you can add the samsung qwerty remote for $99.

Do it...freaking tv picture is absolutely amazing! Also, it's super thin (no wider than a finger) and the speakers believe it or not are pretty damn good...the 46C will not disapoint


Last edited by BBBluey; 12-02-2011 at 11:20 PM.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:41 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST