BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis
 
Strasse Wheels
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-27-2011, 01:19 PM   #1
boarderman23
Private
2
Rep
75
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 e93 M3
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: NY

iTrader: (0)

Help With Warranty Claim - Warped Rotors

I have a 2011 e93 and unfortunately I warped my rotors at the last track day (only my second track day with this car and I wasn't even pushing the car limits). I really didn't think that would happen, but guess I was wrong...

Anyways, I'm going to try to get them covered as this just shouldn't happen with an M3 (IMO - which doesn't matter). When I search the forums I saw some others have have had a similar issue and seems like it depends on the dealer on whether it's covered or not.

I have an appointment thursday...any suggestions or just gotta hope for the best?
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2011, 01:31 PM   #2
immiketoo
Colonel
immiketoo's Avatar
71
Rep
2,873
Posts

 
Drives: Smoothly
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Chicago Burbs

iTrader: (0)

Your rotors are probably heat blued and it will be obvious they were at the track. I suggest you be honest and appeal to the track heritage of the car as your reason.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by double eagle View Post
Thickness feels good to me and my hands aren't that big.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2011, 01:50 PM   #3
ThunderMoose
Captain
14
Rep
971
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 C2S and 2003 E46 M3
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: League City, TX

iTrader: (0)

How sure are you that they are warped? I did a track weekend this summer and didn't have any issues. I am also pretty new, so I may not have been pushing the car very hard.

You may just have some pad deposit. One of the instructors suggested hitting the rotors with some water the night before (to get a bit more abrasion on the rotors) and try to re-bed them in the morning when pads are cold to knock off the deposit.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2011, 01:53 PM   #4
immiketoo
Colonel
immiketoo's Avatar
71
Rep
2,873
Posts

 
Drives: Smoothly
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Chicago Burbs

iTrader: (0)

One thing many new track fiends forget is to NOT set the parking brake after a session. Don't know if that's your problem or not.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by double eagle View Post
Thickness feels good to me and my hands aren't that big.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2011, 02:24 PM   #5
boarderman23
Private
2
Rep
75
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 e93 M3
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderMoose View Post
How sure are you that they are warped? I did a track weekend this summer and didn't have any issues. I am also pretty new, so I may not have been pushing the car very hard.

You may just have some pad deposit. One of the instructors suggested hitting the rotors with some water the night before (to get a bit more abrasion on the rotors) and try to re-bed them in the morning when pads are cold to knock off the deposit.
I'm pretty sure warped, but I don't know what "pad deposit" is. I have 10k miles and it started at/after the track. Pedal and wheel vibration when braking...not very noticeable at 30mph, but very noticeable when braking at 60+. What symptoms do pad deposits show?

Also, this wasn't my second time at the track (I have a different track car, but decided to take this).
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2011, 02:28 PM   #6
boarderman23
Private
2
Rep
75
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 e93 M3
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by immiketoo View Post
One thing many new track fiends forget is to NOT set the parking brake after a session. Don't know if that's your problem or not.
I make sure not to use it...can't say I never forget but unfortunately I don't think that is the cause in this situation.

My first time at the track I didn't even think about that until someone told me not to use it...at least most beginners that aren't aware of that probably aren't pushing the car too much.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2011, 02:30 PM   #7
boarderman23
Private
2
Rep
75
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 e93 M3
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by immiketoo View Post
Your rotors are probably heat blued and it will be obvious they were at the track. I suggest you be honest and appeal to the track heritage of the car as your reason.
Thanks for the input...that's what I'm thinking will be my best bet too. I was going to be truthful anyways, but I'll let them be the first to bring up the track use.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2011, 02:48 PM   #8
ThunderMoose
Captain
14
Rep
971
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 C2S and 2003 E46 M3
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: League City, TX

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boarderman23 View Post
I'm pretty sure warped, but I don't know what "pad deposit" is. I have 10k miles and it started at/after the track. Pedal and wheel vibration when braking...not very noticeable at 30mph, but very noticeable when braking at 60+. What symptoms do pad deposits show?

Also, this wasn't my second time at the track (I have a different track car, but decided to take this).
Pad deposits are uneven transfer of pad material to the rotor. The symptoms are the same as warped rotors - shuddering during braking. Something as simple as having foot on brake at the end of a session can cause material from heated up pads to transfer to rotors.

There's no downside to trying what I suggested.

First thing in morning, while pads are cold and abrasive, try this...

http://www.stoptech.com/technical-su...eposit-removal
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2011, 02:50 PM   #9
elh0102
Captain
7
Rep
704
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Assuming the lug bolts were tightened with proper torque, it is very unlikely the rotors are warped. If you were using the OE pads, then some uneven transfer of pad material is very possible. If so, you should notice an improvement after a few days of street driving.
__________________
2011 Space Gray Coupe, DCT, ZCP, StopTech ST-60/ST-40 BBK.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2011, 03:10 PM   #10
PINHEAD
Motorsport Passion!!!
PINHEAD's Avatar
Monaco
14
Rep
978
Posts

 
Drives: E92M3/997.2RS
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (8)

no such things as warped rotors for this car -.-"
__________________
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2011, 03:44 PM   #11
boarderman23
Private
2
Rep
75
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 e93 M3
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderMoose View Post
Pad deposits are uneven transfer of pad material to the rotor. The symptoms are the same as warped rotors - shuddering during braking. Something as simple as having foot on brake at the end of a session can cause material from heated up pads to transfer to rotors.

There's no downside to trying what I suggested.

First thing in morning, while pads are cold and abrasive, try this...

http://www.stoptech.com/technical-su...eposit-removal
Thanks for the post, I'm hoping this is all it is!
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2011, 03:44 PM   #12
boarderman23
Private
2
Rep
75
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 e93 M3
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by elh0102 View Post
Assuming the lug bolts were tightened with proper torque, it is very unlikely the rotors are warped. If you were using the OE pads, then some uneven transfer of pad material is very possible. If so, you should notice an improvement after a few days of street driving.
It's been weeks and seem to be exactly the same.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2011, 03:45 PM   #13
boarderman23
Private
2
Rep
75
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 e93 M3
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PINHEAD View Post
no such things as warped rotors for this car -.-"
That's what I would have thought too...so hopefully that's the case and it's just pad deposit.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2011, 05:05 PM   #14
Kobaiyashi
First Lieutenant
United_States
7
Rep
311
Posts

 
Drives: 08 E90 M3 (JetBlack/FoxRedExt)
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: East Bay, CA

iTrader: (0)

Mine warped after my second track day -- I presumed it was because I didn't sufficiently cool them down before stopping the car while I waited for the next session (i stupidly went hard on the cool down lap).

In the end, I was honest with the SoCal dealer and they replaced the pads and rotors no questions asked.

Good luck.

Peter
__________________
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2011, 05:08 PM   #15
HT1000
Private
0
Rep
64
Posts

 
Drives: 330i
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Owensboro

iTrader: (0)

If it's pad deposit the rotors can be lightly sanded to remove it. A dial indicator can tell you if the rotor has run-out from warpage.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2011, 06:29 PM   #16
arter
collecting toys
arter's Avatar
8
Rep
780
Posts

 
Drives: M3 MCB
Join Date: May 2008
Location: rochester, ny

iTrader: (0)

a warped rotor has a rhythmic wow-wow feel while braking.
Juddered rotors with brake material on them just feel rough, shaking, but not rhythmic.

Re-bedding the brakes ( 10 quick 70 to 0 stops back to back) can clean up juddered rotors in most cases.
__________________
2011 e92 M3 Monte Carlo Blue ESS 535
2015 cayman GTS
2006 SLK 55 AMG
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2011, 09:13 PM   #17
bruce.augenstein@comcast.
Lieutenant Colonel
21
Rep
1,907
Posts

 
Drives: Legacy GT - 13.704@99.39
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Manheim, PA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boarderman23 View Post
I have a 2011 e93 and unfortunately I warped my rotors at the last track day (only my second track day with this car and I wasn't even pushing the car limits). I really didn't think that would happen, but guess I was wrong...

Anyways, I'm going to try to get them covered as this just shouldn't happen with an M3 (IMO - which doesn't matter). When I search the forums I saw some others have have had a similar issue and seems like it depends on the dealer on whether it's covered or not.

I have an appointment thursday...any suggestions or just gotta hope for the best?
At a guess, new rotors (or repaired rotors) will be covered under warranty.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned in this string is that when you pull in with hot brakes and just park it, it's possible to "heat treat' the rotors at a spot just under the hot calipers/pads. Once this happens, the coefficient of friction at that spot will be different than the rest of the rotor, and you'll get some pulsing. Once this happened to me on my '95 (rotors replaced under warranty), I always pushed the car for a foot after a minute or two, then repeated twice more. All done in five minutes, and no more problems.

Bruce
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2011, 09:33 PM   #18
Edjay
First Lieutenant
3
Rep
351
Posts

 
Drives: 08 E90 AW, 76 2002
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Sacoftomatoes Ca

iTrader: (0)

Cool down lap. I'm mainly just cruising. Avoiding the brake pedal and clutch pedal as much as possible. When I park, leave the hand brake off, in gear.

Op just visit your dealer. More likelly if your honest and nice, they will warranty it for you.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2011, 11:53 PM   #19
Lorde
Ya ya ya, I am Lorde, ya ya!
Lorde's Avatar
No_Country
32
Rep
2,521
Posts

 
Drives: E90 M3, 2015 SQ5
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Snig

iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3 E90  [0.00]
I had rotor warp on the fronts under 2,000 miles of daily driver usage. It happens.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2011, 10:05 AM   #20
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
THE TECH's Avatar
United_States
157
Rep
13,121
Posts


 
Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Kansas

iTrader: (45)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to THE TECH Send a message via Skype™ to THE TECH
I don't know why anyone would think that they could get rotors warrantied after using them at the track.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2011, 10:07 AM   #21
stefan
Colonel
stefan's Avatar
Canada
29
Rep
2,145
Posts

 
Drives: E92M3
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Calgary

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
1999 VF BMW M3  [5.00]
2001 BMW M5  [0.00]
2008 135i  [5.00]
2003 M3  [3.10]
2011.75 BMW M3  [4.17]
2009 STi  [3.83]
Keep in mind, it sometimes has to do with a defect in manufacturing. I've seen rotors warp with just street driving and under 10,000km.. Brembos, even.
__________________
///M Power - 2011.75 LMB M3 6MT (fuelly)
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2011, 10:26 AM   #22
bruce.augenstein@comcast.
Lieutenant Colonel
21
Rep
1,907
Posts

 
Drives: Legacy GT - 13.704@99.39
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Manheim, PA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
I don't know why anyone would think that they could get rotors warrantied after using them at the track.
BMW USA has been a long-time supporter of the BMW Car Club (BMW CCA) and the track days that most chapters hold. They encourage this because it's good for sales.

Therefore, their generous approach to rotor and pad replacements. It would be embarassing for them to exclude such replacements because of track use which they actively encourage.

Bruce
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:54 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST