BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques
 
ESS Tuning
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-10-2011, 07:00 PM   #111
arter
collecting toys
 
arter's Avatar
 
Drives: M3 MCB
Join Date: May 2008
Location: rochester, ny

Posts: 777
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
If I'm reading all of this right, it goes like this...

OEM -1.1
w/o pins -1.7
Dinan -2.0
OEM about -1.0
w/o pins ( and std springs) -1.3 to 1.6
Dinan -0.7 to above ( so -2.0)
Ground Control adjusts from -1.5 to -4.0
__________________
2011 e92 M3 Monte Carlo Blue ESS 535
2015 cayman GTS
2006 SLK 55 AMG
arter is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-16-2011, 04:30 PM   #112
llis
octane chick
 
llis's Avatar
 
Drives: Ms
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Colorado

Posts: 1,133
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2003 BMW M5  [0.00]
2002 BMW 530i (fs)  [0.00]
2013 BMW M3  [5.00]
Since this thread is now part of the sticky Track FAQ, I thought I'd add a handy link to this thread where people are posting their alignment specs: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367003

Quote:
OEM about -1.0
w/o pins ( and std springs) -1.3 to 1.6
Dinan -0.7 to above ( so -2.0)
Ground Control adjusts from -1.5 to -4.0
It seems like many, if not most, people posting in these threads get Ground Control camber plates along with a new coilover setup, but GC will work with OEM springs. I think the max negative camber you can get depends on whether you're doing camber plates with the OEM suspension. I have GC close to maxed out at -3.0 on ZCP stock.

FWIW, I feel this one change (camber plates for more negative camber up front) made such a huge improvement in track cornering and virtually eliminating understeer, I recommend it for anyone doing more than a couple of track events. And it can be a quite affordable solution that pays for itself quickly by saving you $$$ in tires.
__________________

2013 E92 ///M3 ZCP 6MT Speed Yellow 2003 E39 ///M5
llis is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-16-2011, 05:38 PM   #113
quads
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: bac mono
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: racetrack

Posts: 1,643
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by llis View Post
Since this thread is now part of the sticky Track FAQ, I thought I'd add a handy link to this thread where people are posting their alignment specs: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367003



It seems like many, if not most, people posting in these threads get Ground Control camber plates along with a new coilover setup, but GC will work with OEM springs. I think the max negative camber you can get depends on whether you're doing camber plates with the OEM suspension. I have GC close to maxed out at -3.0 on ZCP stock.

FWIW, I feel this one change (camber plates for more negative camber up front) made such a huge improvement in track cornering and virtually eliminating understeer, I recommend it for anyone doing more than a couple of track events. And it can be a quite affordable solution that pays for itself quickly by saving you $$$ in tires.
I also have the GC plates and have -3 up front and -2 in the rear and the car is a different animal. Instead of getting frustrated fighting the car in the corners it turns in almost telepathically.

I do have gripes about the GC springs. 1) they become unseated at full droop and 2) they started squeaking like a 30 year old couch. I've contacted gc but no specific remedy was offered. Other than that I'm happy with the setup.
quads is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-16-2011, 07:05 PM   #114
rzm3
Moderator
 
rzm3's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 4,601
iTrader: (14)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4sevens.com View Post
I also have the GC plates and have -3 up front and -2 in the rear and the car is a different animal. Instead of getting frustrated fighting the car in the corners it turns in almost telepathically.

I do have gripes about the GC springs. 1) they become unseated at full droop and 2) they started squeaking like a 30 year old couch. I've contacted gc but no specific remedy was offered. Other than that I'm happy with the setup.
If you are talking about the front axle, squeaking may be coming from the sway bar end links. Lube them regularly
__________________
E92 M3 DCT - AiM EVO4 Data Logger / AiM SmartyCam HD / KW Competition 2-Way / OMP ARS Racing Seats / Brembo GT 365 / Pagid Yellow RS-29 / Rear Seats Delete
rzm3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-02-2012, 06:41 PM   #115
mohammadz
Major
 
Drives: M3, 991 GT3
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto

Posts: 1,215
iTrader: (7)

bump
__________________
KW CS|Akrapovic GT4|Volk Racing TE37|ZCP|Rogue Engineering SSK|LUX|Macht Schnell|AiM Solo|RD Sport|Challenge|ProjectMu
mohammadz is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-02-2012, 08:48 PM   #116
Groundpilot
Major
 
Groundpilot's Avatar
 
Drives: 135I DCT , e92 M3 DCT, Audi A6
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: long island,ny

Posts: 1,182
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via ICQ to Groundpilot
So whats the recommended - camber front/rear with addition of only c. plates for the track on stock EDC suspension?
__________________

David
Groundpilot is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-02-2012, 08:49 PM   #117
Porschefile
Major
 
Porschefile's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Tennessee

Posts: 1,232
iTrader: (6)

Currently running -2.7 front -2.0 rear, with KW clubsports. I expect the front to wear too quickly, but if they wear fast I'll back the camber down in front. Toe is 1/32 out in front and 1/16 in in rear. The turn in feels fantastic.
Porschefile is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-02-2012, 08:50 PM   #118
Porschefile
Major
 
Porschefile's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Tennessee

Posts: 1,232
iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundpilot View Post
So whats the recommended - camber front/rear for the track on stock EDC suspension?
Max out the front, and pull the pins out of the front struts, which allows for more. -1.5 front is a good goal for front, and won't wear your tires bad. -1.5 to -2.0 is good for rear.
Porschefile is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-02-2012, 09:06 PM   #119
Groundpilot
Major
 
Groundpilot's Avatar
 
Drives: 135I DCT , e92 M3 DCT, Audi A6
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: long island,ny

Posts: 1,182
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via ICQ to Groundpilot
[quote=Porschefile;12436999]Max out the front, and pull the pins out of the front struts, which allows for more. -1.5 front is a good goal for front, and won't wear your tires bad. -1.5 to -2.0 is good for rear.[/QUOT

To be honest i dont really care about tire wear on the street. I feel like stock susp. is very capable, but what would be ideal - camber for the track with C. Plates as only susp. mod?
__________________

David
Groundpilot is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-02-2012, 09:42 PM   #120
Porschefile
Major
 
Porschefile's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Tennessee

Posts: 1,232
iTrader: (6)

I haven't seen a conclusive figure, but more than 1.5. Probably somewhere in the high 2's to low 3's.
Porschefile is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-02-2012, 09:52 PM   #121
Groundpilot
Major
 
Groundpilot's Avatar
 
Drives: 135I DCT , e92 M3 DCT, Audi A6
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: long island,ny

Posts: 1,182
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via ICQ to Groundpilot
What do you think about -2.5 front, -2 rear for pilot sport cups?
Groundpilot is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-02-2012, 09:54 PM   #122
bigjae1976
That's what she said...
 
bigjae1976's Avatar
 
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Posts: 5,389
iTrader: (12)

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.00]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
I think -3.0 is a tad much for my Dunlop Z1*. I think Porschefile is onto something. I plan to try -2.7ish to see what happens.
__________________


Sponsored by Momentum BMW #593...We Bleed BMW BLUE!
bigjae1976 is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-02-2012, 09:56 PM   #123
Porschefile
Major
 
Porschefile's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Tennessee

Posts: 1,232
iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundpilot View Post
What do you think about -2.5 front, -2 rear for pilot sport cups?
Definitely in the right ballpark, try it and see.
Porschefile is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-02-2012, 10:07 PM   #124
Car54
Captain
 
Drives: 1999 Z3 Mcoupe | 2008 M3/4
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Lutz, FL

Posts: 842
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundpilot View Post
What do you think about -2.5 front, -2 rear for pilot sport cups?
Read this: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...nd_Feeding.pdf
__________________

Craig Brickner
BM
W CCA/PBOC/Chin Motorsports DE Instructor
Click to Join: BMWCCA # 366493
Car54 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-03-2012, 02:44 AM   #125
Autobahn335i
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Autobahn335i's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Luxembourg

Posts: 1,598
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car54 View Post
Very interesting! Thanks for the link.
__________________
Performance Seats, Exhaust, Splitters, Pedals, Steering Wheel / RB Turbos / M3 CF Roof / Brembo GT BBK 355/345 / Rollcage / Forge FMIC / Quaife LSD / Öhlins Road & Track / M3 Suspension Parts / Powerflex Bushings / Vorshlag Camberplates / Megan Racing Toe Links / LeatherZ Gauges / Extended M3 DCT Paddles / ER Sports OC / AR OC / Aux Radiator / AR DPs / Alpina TCU / COBB Pro-Tune
Autobahn335i is offline   Luxembourg
0
Reply With Quote
      09-23-2013, 11:37 PM   #126
admranger
First Lieutenant
 
admranger's Avatar
 
Drives: 2002 M3, 2005 X5, 2011 M3
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Las Vegas

Posts: 375
iTrader: (0)

Resurrecting this thread.

Other than pulling the pins, has anyone swapped the hats like you could do on the E36 and e46's?

I have the pins pulled and clearly, that's not enough camber for most track time other than beginner level. On stock springs, I believe that the only other streetable option are the Dinan Plates. Are there other streetable options out there that use stock springs? I really do not want to go to coil overs, etc.
__________________
'11 E90 M3, Mebourne/Black/Fox Red/Black, 6MT, PP2, heated seats, moonroof, split folding rear seats, iPod/USB adapter, Technic harness, JL XD 6/600.
'02 E46M3, Imola/Black, 6MT, CWP, no sunroof, Ohlins, Eibachs, PFC DD rotors, PFC pads! HAT Clarus/Legatia speakers, 2 big amps in the back.
'05 X5 4.4i, Imola/Black, Premium, Cold, HAT Imagine 6.5's, Intravee iPod adapter
admranger is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-24-2013, 05:51 AM   #127
dex37
Second Lieutenant
 
dex37's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Germany

Posts: 204
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by admranger View Post
Resurrecting this thread.

Other than pulling the pins, has anyone swapped the hats like you could do on the E36 and e46's?

I have the pins pulled and clearly, that's not enough camber for most track time other than beginner level. On stock springs, I believe that the only other streetable option are the Dinan Plates. Are there other streetable options out there that use stock springs? I really do not want to go to coil overs, etc.
Vorshlag and Ground Control have also camber plates for the stock perches.
Vorshlag seems to get better reviews though.

http://www.vorshlag.com/product_info...roducts_id=535
dex37 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-24-2013, 09:17 AM   #128
66BM
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: ML63 AMG, E92 M3, E60 M5
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Hell

Posts: 324
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex37 View Post
Vorshlag and Ground Control have also camber plates for the stock perches.
Vorshlag seems to get better reviews though.

http://www.vorshlag.com/product_info...roducts_id=535
Haven't used the Vorslag plates, but I have used the GC plates on both my DE and Race car. I can say that I have been very happy with both.
__________________
66BM is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-24-2013, 12:45 PM   #129
admranger
First Lieutenant
 
admranger's Avatar
 
Drives: 2002 M3, 2005 X5, 2011 M3
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Las Vegas

Posts: 375
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex37 View Post
Vorshlag and Ground Control have also camber plates for the stock perches.
Vorshlag seems to get better reviews though.

http://www.vorshlag.com/product_info...roducts_id=535
I'm trying to avoid additional NVH and while the Vorshlag plates do accept the stock springs, I don't see how the non-isolated bearing design won't result in increased NVH. Yes, I know it's better handling, etc., etc., but I guess I'm just getting old...
__________________
'11 E90 M3, Mebourne/Black/Fox Red/Black, 6MT, PP2, heated seats, moonroof, split folding rear seats, iPod/USB adapter, Technic harness, JL XD 6/600.
'02 E46M3, Imola/Black, 6MT, CWP, no sunroof, Ohlins, Eibachs, PFC DD rotors, PFC pads! HAT Clarus/Legatia speakers, 2 big amps in the back.
'05 X5 4.4i, Imola/Black, Premium, Cold, HAT Imagine 6.5's, Intravee iPod adapter
admranger is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-24-2013, 12:52 PM   #130
66BM
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: ML63 AMG, E92 M3, E60 M5
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Hell

Posts: 324
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by admranger View Post
I'm trying to avoid additional NVH and while the Vorshlag plates do accept the stock springs, I don't see how the non-isolated bearing design won't result in increased NVH. Yes, I know it's better handling, etc., etc., but I guess I'm just getting old...
Never had any issues with the GC plates resulting in anything other than adjustability. If you are worried about Noise or anything else, you might not want to modify the stock suspension at all. You truly will not feel anything different than the handling when adjusting camber. Don't forget however, when adjusting camber, you are increasing toe, which will tear up tires on the street if the car is not aligned properly.
__________________
66BM is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-24-2013, 02:56 PM   #131
admranger
First Lieutenant
 
admranger's Avatar
 
Drives: 2002 M3, 2005 X5, 2011 M3
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Las Vegas

Posts: 375
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66BM View Post
Never had any issues with the GC plates resulting in anything other than adjustability. If you are worried about Noise or anything else, you might not want to modify the stock suspension at all. You truly will not feel anything different than the handling when adjusting camber. Don't forget however, when adjusting camber, you are increasing toe, which will tear up tires on the street if the car is not aligned properly.
Thanks for the info.

I'm aware that putting more negative camber into the car will result in increased toe-out (but not everyone is, so your reply is excellent). Right now I'm running near zero toe up front -- on purpose!

My interest is in preserving the outside edge of my street tires when I do the odd track day now and again. I've run a couple of track days with the E90M3, but at the time I didn't care about the tires as I hated the PS2s and wanted to get my favorite street tire, the RE-11 on to the car. Now that I have the RE-11s on the car, I'd like to treat them better than the PS2s, hence the desire for a bit more negative camber up front.

I just don't do enough track anymore days to justify significant mods. Retired from club racing and the driving school instructing has been limited too. I have been through enough of the mod-cycles madness since I started autocrossing in 1991. The E90M3 is a heck of a commuter/daily driver out of the box so I'm happy with how it is now except for the need for slightly more camber for the track.

Looks like the Dinan plates are the ticket for me, unless I determine that the strut bolt circle and location are the same on the E90M3 (non-edc) as it is on the E36. I have a set of fixed camber plates for the E36 sitting in one of the drawers in my garage. Nothing better than resuse of a performance part vs. having to buy a new one!

Thanks again.

For those setting up their car with different tires, parts, whatever; let tire temps (take w/a probe pyrometer on a skidpad, if at all possible) guide your camber adjustments (for max performance).
__________________
'11 E90 M3, Mebourne/Black/Fox Red/Black, 6MT, PP2, heated seats, moonroof, split folding rear seats, iPod/USB adapter, Technic harness, JL XD 6/600.
'02 E46M3, Imola/Black, 6MT, CWP, no sunroof, Ohlins, Eibachs, PFC DD rotors, PFC pads! HAT Clarus/Legatia speakers, 2 big amps in the back.
'05 X5 4.4i, Imola/Black, Premium, Cold, HAT Imagine 6.5's, Intravee iPod adapter
admranger is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-24-2013, 03:08 PM   #132
66BM
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: ML63 AMG, E92 M3, E60 M5
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Hell

Posts: 324
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by admranger View Post
Thanks for the info.

I'm aware that putting more negative camber into the car will result in increased toe-out (but not everyone is, so your reply is excellent). Right now I'm running near zero toe up front -- on purpose!

My interest is in preserving the outside edge of my street tires when I do the odd track day now and again. I've run a couple of track days with the E90M3, but at the time I didn't care about the tires as I hated the PS2s and wanted to get my favorite street tire, the RE-11 on to the car. Now that I have the RE-11s on the car, I'd like to treat them better than the PS2s, hence the desire for a bit more negative camber up front.

I just don't do enough track anymore days to justify significant mods. Retired from club racing and the driving school instructing has been limited too. I have been through enough of the mod-cycles madness since I started autocrossing in 1991. The E90M3 is a heck of a commuter/daily driver out of the box so I'm happy with how it is now except for the need for slightly more camber for the track.

Looks like the Dinan plates are the ticket for me, unless I determine that the strut bolt circle and location are the same on the E90M3 (non-edc) as it is on the E36. I have a set of fixed camber plates for the E36 sitting in one of the drawers in my garage. Nothing better than resuse of a performance part vs. having to buy a new one!

Thanks again.

For those setting up their car with different tires, parts, whatever; let tire temps (take w/a probe pyrometer on a skidpad, if at all possible) guide your camber adjustments (for max performance).
I would set the camber for regular street driving and 0 toe, and then adjust it to "track" camber and check toe again. This will give you some baseline measurements, before and after adjustments. I run 0 toe, 3.5 camber front and 1/8'' toe in 2.5 camber rear with triple adjustable suspension on this car. Lowering the rear significantly increase handling as it defeats the "anti-squat / anti-camber" BMW builds into their suspension geomery. but, the car is also 3130 lbs. now.
__________________
66BM is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:33 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST