BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)
 
Strasse Wheels
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-13-2011, 10:07 AM   #1
Mr. ///M3 RD
Major General
Mr. ///M3 RD's Avatar
Canada
147
Rep
7,863
Posts

 
Drives: E350 & 280 SL on Weekends :)
Join Date: May 2010
Location: GTA, Ontario - Canada

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Question? about the Trim on your ///M3

1) Did you order it that way and why?

2) If you had to do it over again what would you pick?

and

3) Did you change it? tell us about it

a) what you chose?
b) did you change it yourself?
c) if not "b" where did you have it done
d) what did it end up to in cost?

PS. If the questions are too overwhelming I'll understand if you don't say anything
__________________
Cheers, Rolf-Dieter

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2011, 10:51 AM   #2
Mike van D
Major
Mike van D's Avatar
Germany
11
Rep
1,114
Posts

 
Drives: SG X6 35i; MW e92 M3
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Germany

iTrader: (0)

Carbon leather. Happy with it, subtle look. No intentions to change.
__________________
...just enjoying life.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2011, 11:18 AM   #3
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
THE TECH's Avatar
United_States
157
Rep
13,121
Posts


 
Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Kansas

iTrader: (45)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to THE TECH Send a message via Skype™ to THE TECH
I ordered mine with the carbon. As soon as it arrives, I am replacing it with the real carbon pieces. Besides maybe a piano black, there isn't another option I would choose to do again over the carbon.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2011, 11:47 AM   #4
JulieDriving
Female driving enthusiast :P
JulieDriving's Avatar
30
Rep
2,308
Posts

 
Drives: Bimmer
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Ontario, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Ok, I don't have an M3 yet, but since I've started the ordering process, researched color and trim choices like crazy and my head literally *hurts* from trying to decide on color combinations, I thought I'd add my two cents, lol.

First, you can't buy the OEM piano black trim from BMW unless your car has a VIN that confirms it's Individual.... So unless you're planning to go aftermarket, if you want the real piano black, you need to have an Individual car.

I think trim depends a lot on the overall color combination. And if you're trying to go for classy or sporty.... or both (although both can be tricky to execute well, IMO). So I have a few different options in my head, depending on what I ultimately pick inside and out, and am looking forward to hearing other people's responses....
__________________
2013 M3 coupe (Azurite Black, Black, Piano Black)
+ miata nut (2 miatas) + Mk6 GTI 5-door hatch (our mini-SUV )
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2011, 11:51 AM   #5
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
THE TECH's Avatar
United_States
157
Rep
13,121
Posts


 
Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Kansas

iTrader: (45)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to THE TECH Send a message via Skype™ to THE TECH
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieDriving View Post
Ok, I don't have an M3 yet, but since I've started the ordering process, researched color and trim choices like crazy and my head literally *hurts* from trying to decide on color combinations, I thought I'd add my two cents, lol.

First, you can't buy the OEM piano black trim from BMW unless your car has a VIN that confirms it's Individual.... So unless you're planning to go aftermarket, if you want the real piano black, you need to have an Individual car.

I think trim depends a lot on the overall color combination. And if you're trying to go for classy or sporty.... or both (although both can be tricky to execute well, IMO). So I have a few different options in my head, depending on what I ultimately pick inside and out, and am looking forward to hearing other people's responses....
I am very aware of the individual since I could have ordered mine that way. Doing individual is no more difficult to order than regular ordering other than the wait time is likely a bit longer due to having to get items approved.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2011, 12:01 PM   #6
JulieDriving
Female driving enthusiast :P
JulieDriving's Avatar
30
Rep
2,308
Posts

 
Drives: Bimmer
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Ontario, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
I am very aware of the individual since I could have ordered mine that way. Doing individual is no more difficult to order than regular ordering other than the wait time is likely a bit longer due to having to get items approved.
Sorry, I wasn't clear. My comment was intended for those who are not considering Individual but think that they could just get the Individual trim afterwards.
__________________
2013 M3 coupe (Azurite Black, Black, Piano Black)
+ miata nut (2 miatas) + Mk6 GTI 5-door hatch (our mini-SUV )
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2011, 12:01 PM   #7
luis_m3
Low Pro...
United_States
10
Rep
976
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E90 AW
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Arizona

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedMoreToyz View Post
Carbon leather. Happy with it, subtle look. No intentions to change.
Same here...
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2011, 12:21 PM   #8
apecush
Lieutenant
6
Rep
450
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 E90 M3
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Edmonton

iTrader: (2)

Brushed aluminum, came on car. Initially thought I'd hate it, but after seeing it up close, and realizing that it is actually aluminum, not painted plastic, I think it is awesome.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2011, 12:54 PM   #9
1sikbmr
Brigadier General
1sikbmr's Avatar
46
Rep
3,283
Posts

 
Drives: E90 M3 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: New York

iTrader: (14)

Quote:
Originally Posted by apecush View Post
Brushed aluminum, came on car. Initially thought I'd hate it, but after seeing it up close, and realizing that it is actually aluminum, not painted plastic, I think it is awesome.
+1
__________________

E90 ///M3 6MT Atlantis Blue - Fox red #TEAMMODE
ESS VT1-550|Volk TE37|Recaro|STOPTECH|Ohlins R/T|Mode Carbon GT4 Lip|Umnitza V4 |Agency Power/Sosi/ACM Test Pipes|BMW PSW V1|
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2011, 01:06 PM   #10
tlp
Colonel
tlp's Avatar
United_States
70
Rep
2,064
Posts

 
Drives: '11 e92 M3 SG/FR
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Huntington Beach, CA

iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2011 BMW e92 M3  [4.55]
Carbon Leather - Ordered

__________________
My Coding Journal
Current - '11 e92 M3 SG/FR ZCP|ZCV|ZP2|2MK|494|415|6NR|752
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2011, 01:06 PM   #11
sonnyb
Enlisted Member
sonnyb's Avatar
0
Rep
32
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3 Alpine White
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: UK/Leicstershire/Loughborough

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sikbmr View Post
+1
I like it too on mine, but could not tell if it was real or not. So is it actually alumininum?

Appreciate 0
      11-13-2011, 01:54 PM   #12
Ateam
Banned
17
Rep
1,109
Posts

 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

I love the aluminum and simply run your a/c sometime and a few minutes later feel the aluminum and it has that nice "cold" to the touch feeling of metal. Gives it a nice quality. Alternatively touch your other trim pieces that "look" metal and they are warm to the touch. I think the aluminum is by far the most classy and yet sporty combo. The base matte black stuff is really cheap, carbon leather is fine and personally wood slabs in a car just do not look right on any car so not sure why anyone gets that. Aluminum has a bluish color as well so looks great with silverstone and the silverstone/novillo seats (I am bias though!)
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2011, 02:35 PM   #13
penny31
Lieutenant
11
Rep
572
Posts

 
Drives: e92 m3
Join Date: May 2007
Location: So CAL, L.a

iTrader: (0)

had aluminum no my first e92 m3, its nice but everytime you take your seat belt off, the metal clip of the seat belt hits the aluminum and dents it ( literally )


on my 2nd e92, i have carbon leather. Love it 10 x more.
__________________
e92 m3 Melbourne Red 6 speed

Appreciate 0
      11-13-2011, 03:24 PM   #14
Midwest X6
Captain
Midwest X6's Avatar
United_States
16
Rep
875
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 X3 28xi
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The Great Midwest

iTrader: (4)

Had aluminum, swapped it for Performance Carbon Fiber trim...
__________________
Current Ride: 2013\28xi\Deep Sea Blue\Oyster Nevada Leather\Fineline Sienna Trim\Sport Activity \Cold Weather\Premium\Comfort Access\Navigation\Panoramic Moon Roof\BMW Assist

Previous Rides: E92 M3, E70 X5 35d, E71 X6 50i, E71 X6 35i,E60 550i, E46 M3 Cabriolet, E39 540i, E36 328i
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2011, 03:52 PM   #15
immiketoo
Colonel
immiketoo's Avatar
71
Rep
2,873
Posts

 
Drives: Smoothly
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Chicago Burbs

iTrader: (0)

Carbon. Other than real carbon, anything else doesn't go with the personality of this car.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by double eagle View Post
Thickness feels good to me and my hands aren't that big.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2011, 03:54 PM   #16
Nine
Banned
29
Rep
1,925
Posts

 
Drives: Not ZCP, FML.
Join Date: May 2010
Location: DC, Miami, NYC

iTrader: (2)

I have the carbon leather, I am considering thing real carbon inserts like the ones in the GTS or special edition M3s.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2011, 04:59 PM   #17
Mr. ///M3 RD
Major General
Mr. ///M3 RD's Avatar
Canada
147
Rep
7,863
Posts

 
Drives: E350 & 280 SL on Weekends :)
Join Date: May 2010
Location: GTA, Ontario - Canada

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest X6 View Post
Had aluminum, swapped it for Performance Carbon Fiber trim...
Mind telling how you did it and how much it cost (material and installation).

Thanks a bunch.

Cheers,

Rolf-Dieter
__________________
Cheers, Rolf-Dieter

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2011, 05:00 PM   #18
MUFCbmwbear
1. Man Utd 2. BMW 3. Beer
MUFCbmwbear's Avatar
United_States
6
Rep
579
Posts

 
Drives: 14 M235i 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (0)

Carbon

Got the carbon leather cause thats what immiketoo ordered on his first e92 M. I like it but it wouldve been my 2nd choice behind aluminum.
__________________
M235i Glacier/Coral 6MT
///M3 2009 SG 6MT SOLD
2008 135i JB 6MT SOLD

Lake Zurich raised, Wrigleyville, Southport Corridor,CHICAGO
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2011, 05:28 PM   #19
Ateam
Banned
17
Rep
1,109
Posts

 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Gets me every time, bmw and there "performance" line of carbon fiber inserts! They really need another name for their non-performance "performance "parts!

Is it just me or does carbon fiber come across a tad boy racer/ immature? Unless it is truly on a car for weight savings, a piece of trim in CF is a bit much to me
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2011, 05:32 PM   #20
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
118
Rep
8,517
Posts

 
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnyb View Post
I like it too on mine, but could not tell if it was real or not. So is it actually alumininum?

it's cool to the touch, it's alum.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2011, 05:33 PM   #21
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
118
Rep
8,517
Posts

 
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ateam View Post
I love the aluminum and simply run your a/c sometime and a few minutes later feel the aluminum and it has that nice "cold" to the touch feeling of metal. Gives it a nice quality. Alternatively touch your other trim pieces that "look" metal and they are warm to the touch. I think the aluminum is by far the most classy and yet sporty combo. The base matte black stuff is really cheap, carbon leather is fine and personally wood slabs in a car just do not look right on any car so not sure why anyone gets that. Aluminum has a bluish color as well so looks great with silverstone and the silverstone/novillo seats (I am bias though!)

+1, I have SSII with black leather, Alum trim is perfect complement.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2011, 05:36 PM   #22
kscarrol
Colonel
United_States
37
Rep
2,306
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E90 M3
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New Orleans, LA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdosu View Post
+1, I have SSII with black leather, Alum trim is perfect complement.
Agreed. Space grey here, ordered aluminum trim and think it is the perfect contrast to the black interior. Won't be switching...
__________________
Current: 2011 Space Grey E90 M3, DCT, Comp. Pkg., Conv. Pkg., everything but Cold Weather Pkg!
Gone: 2008 550, Space Grey, Sports Package, Sport Auto Transmission.
Sold: 2004 545i (U.S.), Steptronic, Silver Gray.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:18 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST