BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source

11-04-2011, 08:07 AM   #23
Technic
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2015 320i

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
Cool. Can we get our hands on it?
No... and I asked that too. First, it is only for that particular special edition. Second, it will not pass US emissions even if they wanted to bring it here.

It is more than just a factory software-tune, though.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2011, 08:21 AM   #24
jonasaurus
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: E90 M3 [Sold]

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
BMW also makes a nice brake upgrade setup (looks like Brembos) but not for the M. Seems odd.
You talking bout this one?
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=190829
      11-04-2011, 11:11 AM   #25
bigjae1976
That's what she said...
Rep

Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.00]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
In the US, don't most people buy off the lot? Then there would be a lot of guess work to figure out how many people would pay extra for the performance parts.

Agreed in the cases where cars are ordered. Not sure if the added effort/cost would be worth for price sensitive US customers. Which I believe is the same reason why BMWNA doesn't get easy access to BMW individual.

BMW has tried to offer performance parts which did not sell very well. I think BMW doesn't see this effort as very profitable. Lucky for us we have some pretty good companies who make pretty good aftermarket parts.

Sponsored by Momentum BMW #593...We Bleed BMW BLUE!

Last edited by bigjae1976; 11-04-2011 at 02:02 PM.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2011, 11:18 AM   #26
-=Hot|Ice=-
Been There, Done That.
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2013 BMW M3

Mercedes really seems to be calling my name more and more. All this BS about BMW not able to offer this and that is starting to get on my nerves. If Audi, Mercedes,and Porsche can do it, so can they. They're just into cutting costs.

P.S. I wonder if they put the trunk keyhole back on the F3x. Will probably take it away again come refresh time.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2011, 01:14 PM   #27
rye m3
Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep

Drives: 2011.75 E92 M3

Completely different view here. You guys are looking at the cup half full and whining about what is offered.
I'm applauding BMW's progress. They are offering a bunch of Performance stuff for the E9X. An exhaust that is expensive, but is decently loud. Really nice carbon spoilers that are reasonably priced. Heck, I got the polished carbon interior trim - OEM trim - for less than $1k! Try buying some carbon trim for your Porsche! The custom Alcantara wheel - for $600? What a STEAL! You could pay $1k for some aftermarket crap and here you get OEM quality AND warranty.
Someone else pointed out - they have a BBK for a 335 with 4 or 6 pot calipers - where is the M3 BBK???

2007 997S - sold
2003 E46 M3 Steel Grey on Red- sold
1997 E36 M3 Arctic Silver on Black- sold
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2011, 08:19 PM   #28
Edward
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2013 E92 ZCP

^ it's not a bbk if u have a 335. I'm not sure how many pistons the stock 335 has, but the rotor diameter is the same if I remember correctly. It's an upgrade on the 328 and the 1 series.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2011, 09:46 PM   #29
ss134
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: ...a hard bargain...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward View Post
^ it's not a bbk if u have a 335. I'm not sure how many pistons the stock 335 has, but the rotor diameter is the same if I remember correctly. It's an upgrade on the 328 and the 1 series.
The 328 has 12.3 inch F and 11.8inch R rotors. The 335 has 13.7 F and 13.2 R rotors. The Performance rotors are actually slightly smaller than the 335i rotors but have 6 pot calipers. An OEM BBK kit for the m3 would be great.
2009 6MT E90 LCI 335i M -Sport - Sold
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2011, 11:18 AM   #30
auggiem3
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: e92 M3 / former e46 M3 owner

Agreed - the entire point of BMW individual is that you can customize your car with virtually every BMW part (OEM or BMW Performance aftermarket equipment) and even add some non-BMW spec items (like the Hawaiian Wood interior trim on the special M6 from a few years ago or the paint set to match a stone color).

So BMW is giving you a solution - you just need to pay to get it. The individual program comes at a premium so the proper evaluation - how much will modding my car with BMW parts cost me after I buy the standard car? If it exceeds individual, than go for individual. The progam is pretty amazing too - from what I've heard. The wait is long but everyone seems to love the final product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
The BMW M Performance steering wheel is available as a factory option -and be customized as well- thru Individual.

Looking at the aftermarket customer base relative to the 1.2+ million annual BMW sales is what BMW must be doing, and simply deciding that the investment will not yield the desired profit margin. If you add the fact that components/parts must pass specific durability, emission, usability, sound and ergonomic tests on average of 100,000 miles or more then we can see that it is not as simple or inexpensive to offer a multitude of performance parts just because the aftermarket (which 99% do not perform any long term tests) offer performance products.

In BMW defense, they do offer one of the widest selection of accessory OEM wheels in the market. They used to offer a vast selection of OEM retrofits, leather interiors and electronics years ago as well. But it seems that the profit was not there so they eliminated most of the OEM retrofit and accessories from their catalogs. So they did try it.

Even when BMW offered a South Africa-only special edition M3 (25 units only) with 440hp with the same 4.0L V8 as the "standard" M3 (instead of the GTS 4.4L) they assigned the V8 tuning to AC Schnitzer and not to M GmbH.

Go figure.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2011, 01:08 PM   #31
bblefas
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: 2011.5 M3 COUPE ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward View Post
BMW engineers and designers DO know best when it comes to designing and creating the cars we drive. Yea, certain aftermarket companies are able to improve upon stock components, but the improvement does not exist because BMW was not good at their job in the first place. There was room for improvement because BMW has cost constraints as well as the need to make a car that appeals to the masses. If they built an M3 that was more akin to the GT3RS vs a Carrera S, you'd have the masses complaining about a chattery clutch, unforgiving seats and suspension, fast wearing tires, no sound insulation, cheap door pulls etc.

I guarantee you that if you asked the BEST aftermarket tuners to get together and build a 430-450 hp M3 for the track and had BMW build their own, BMW would destroy the aftermarket tuners.

Obviously aftermarket brakes are way better than stock M3 brakes and an Akra exhaust is definitely higher quality and prettier than the stock M3. This isn't because BMW doesn't do it right. If BMW built every component to super high quality aftermarket spec, they'd be offering you an M3 that costs k.
i agree 100%
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2011, 05:20 PM   #32
klammer
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 11 spc gry m3 e90, 07 X5

The fact that BMW has to compromise for mass production means by definition there is room for improvement and just hoped BMW would recognize and offer harder or softer core products like other manufacturers, that's all. Customization is the new norm and with changes in technology and production methods these things aren't that difficult to pull off in the 21st century. Doesn't have to be a million different things, but perhaps things that had to be compromised for the mass market. Doesn't seem an unreasonable request for a "Motorsport" division. Like mentioned earlier, brakes, FULL exhaust and camber plates would be a nice start...I mean a full OEM exhaust with no CEL and upgradeable brakes.... Think there's definitely enough of a margin, I mean market, for these things in our community. Either way I applaud BMW for making a car this good out of the box