BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > DIY Guides/ Discussions
 
PYSPEED
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-13-2011, 07:41 AM   #89
daniel-EU
Registered
 
Drives: M3 E91 2010
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Czech Republic

Posts: 2
iTrader: (0)

Great work !
The local dealer told me that this steering wheel cannot be fitter to M3
so I would like to install it according to your instructions
Please send me proper Part Number from BWM which I should order for my car
M3, 2010, DCT, EU version
Thank you
daniel-EU is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-13-2011, 10:45 AM   #90
daniel-EU
Registered
 
Drives: M3 E91 2010
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Czech Republic

Posts: 2
iTrader: (0)

Hi,
could you please confirm that for my M3 (2010, DCT, EU version) is suitable
performance steering wheel 32 30 2 165 396 ?
I am gonna buy and install one, and local dealer told me that it would not work for DCT
thank you very much
Dan
daniel-EU is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-14-2011, 11:46 AM   #91
Fsarc
Lieutenant
 
Fsarc's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011.5 E92 M3 LMB
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: BC-Northern NJ

Posts: 418
iTrader: (3)

Great DIY Can anyone confirm the torque specs for 16mm steering wheel bolt? I've read 75 ft/lbs in this thread and 46 ft/lbs in a thread on E90post. Thanks.
Fsarc is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-14-2011, 11:26 AM   #92
335PERU
Registered
 
Drives: 335I 2008
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Peru

Posts: 3
iTrader: (0)

Problem installing my PW with the Paddle Shifters

Quote:
Originally Posted by doba_s View Post
He is correct ... AT wheel = DCT wheel
Hi, I bought in USA my PW and when i just tried to install it in Lima Peru i realized that the dealer in Miami, did not give me the Coil Spring Cartridge, but that problem is being solved just by asking one to be shipped here to Peru, I think the code for my car is 61 31 9 122 381.

But the other real problem is that my automatic 335 VIN WBAWB73578P043691 comes with the Paddle Shifters in the original wheel and my Performance Wheel doesnt come with the holes for them. I would try to make the holles myself because i want to have both the PW and the Shifters. I have studied both Of the wheels and it seems that i only need two holes to make, do you think it would work?
335PERU is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-10-2011, 05:34 PM   #93
lawsat
Private First Class
 
Drives: BMW E90
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Santa Clara CA

Posts: 185
iTrader: (2)

PM'd you about an installation inquiry. Thanks!
lawsat is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-11-2011, 10:13 PM   #94
Thumperx
Major
 
Drives: 335I coupe
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: SE Michigan

Posts: 1,332
iTrader: (75)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawsat View Post
PM'd you about an installation inquiry. Thanks!
Hey Law,
I'm local and I've installed my Performance steering wheel. If Alek doesn't respond, you can PM me. I'll be glad to help out.

Anthony
__________________
Name: Blanca | 07 E92 | AW-Blk | ZSP | Alcon BBK | M3 Bits | VM RR Links | Koni | UUC Sways | V5 | Dinan CAI | ETS IC | Fge DV | ER CP | Cyba | Raden. Exh | Mod Step | Trunk Drawer | Perf LED Wheel | Illum Dr Sills | IS Shifter | Parrot | Philps D1S | 6000k fog | MTECH RR | CSL Trunk | Aero | Roof Spoiler | PSS on BBS RS-GT 19s
Thumperx is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-12-2011, 01:47 AM   #95
lawsat
Private First Class
 
Drives: BMW E90
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Santa Clara CA

Posts: 185
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumperx View Post
Hey Law,
I'm local and I've installed my Performance steering wheel. If Alek doesn't respond, you can PM me. I'll be glad to help out.

Anthony
Finished the installation by myself, than you for your offer though!
lawsat is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-12-2011, 10:25 AM   #96
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
THE TECH's Avatar
 
Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Kansas

Posts: 13,088
iTrader: (44)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to THE TECH Send a message via Skype™ to THE TECH
Anyone know if you can get the installation kit separate from the steering wheel? If so, does anyone have part numbers?
__________________
THE TECH is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-05-2011, 02:05 PM   #97
SEI
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Jakarta

Posts: 275
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
just a heads up my 2011 sub connector colors are diff but pins still same

Old Blue Sub connector with Black inside






My 2011 M3 Blue sub connector with green and blue inside








Hope this helps!
__________________

now: 2008 335i (E92), 2011 M3 (E92), X3 35i (F25),2012 E63 AMG (W212)
gone:2009 GTR, 2007 335i (E93) 2004 M3 (HPF stg 3), 2008 Civic Lx, 2007 Z4M Roadster, 2001 Gembala GT550, 2007 CLS 55, 2007 STI, 2004 M3
SEI is offline   Indonesia
0
Reply With Quote
      11-06-2011, 03:52 AM   #98
Leonardo629
Major
 
Drives: 2013 M3 Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Walnut, CA

Posts: 1,205
iTrader: (9)

This DIY helped me out a lot, I just installed my M performance wheel (non-elec), and it only took about 20 min.



Last edited by Leonardo629; 11-07-2011 at 03:05 PM.
Leonardo629 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-26-2011, 02:57 PM   #99
DOOBEE
Private
 
DOOBEE's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 M3
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Newmarket, Ontario, Canada

Posts: 88
iTrader: (10)

Great DIY. Installed my V1 today without issue.
DOOBEE is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      11-27-2011, 12:43 AM   #100
Alekshop
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Alekshop's Avatar
 
Drives: E30 M3 l E92 M3 l F82 M4
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bay Area

Posts: 2,296
iTrader: (8)

Send a message via Skype™ to Alekshop
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
Anyone know if you can get the installation kit separate from the steering wheel? If so, does anyone have part numbers?
it's possible but takes a long time as BMW dealer has to call each time to find out a part# for each particular piece of the kit.
Alekshop is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-29-2011, 11:49 AM   #101
kmarei
Major General
 
kmarei's Avatar
 
Drives: 1988 E30 M3 Evo II
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Reston, VA

Posts: 6,479
iTrader: (33)

Garage List
i just changed my steering wheel to the newer PSW non-electric one
i followed this DIY, which was great, but this part was not shown well in the pictures, and it was the hardest part
so i took some pics

what you are trying to do is to press these 2 metal bars in, to release the airbag.
one on each side

right side


left side


front showing where you need to insert the screw driver (shown with 2 screwdrivers just to highlight, you can do one at a time)


and this is what the hole looks like from the back


to me it's always easier to do something if i can visualize it, so i hope this helps you guys
__________________
This user has been banned from the 4 series forum because he doesn't sing its merits like the admins want us all to

kmarei is online now   Egypt
0
Reply With Quote
      12-14-2011, 03:14 AM   #102
werly
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2011 MR E92 M3
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: SoCal

Posts: 328
iTrader: (1)

Send a message via MSN to werly
Thanks to OP and kmarei's images above I also installed the PSW non-elec V2 just moments ago.

I agree with former installers that airbag remove is the hardest of all so I want to also contribute some pictures to make future PSW DIY easier

The insertion point is on the black rubber part at the back of the steering wheel, I circled it with red


They are really tricky, I don't know if anyone can visualize the insert slit with bare eyes...I can't. When you don't put it in, it is not there, but your screwdriver can certainly go in without any extra force. Like some members said, use your finger tip to feel the slit and insertion point. Using your new PSW to practice attacking the metal clip greatly benefits also, just like Leonardo629 suggests



Other than that, non-elec PSW is not very hard to install at all, you got to skip all the harness/wires work. But try not to close the truck after disconnecting the battery, otherwise you would ended up like me crawling into the back seat and ripped the arm rest off and managed to pull the emergency trunk release...



Cheers
werly is offline   Taiwan
0
Reply With Quote
      12-28-2011, 06:54 PM   #103
rye m3
Lieutenant
 
rye m3's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011.75 E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: New York

Posts: 489
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by werly View Post
Thanks to OP and kmarei's images above I also installed the PSW non-elec V2 just moments ago.

I agree with former installers that airbag remove is the hardest of all so I want to also contribute some pictures to make future PSW DIY easier

The insertion point is on the black rubber part at the back of the steering wheel, I circled it with red

They are really tricky, I don't know if anyone can visualize the insert slit with bare eyes...I can't. When you don't put it in, it is not there, but your screwdriver can certainly go in without any extra force. Like some members said, use your finger tip to feel the slit and insertion point. Using your new PSW to practice attacking the metal clip greatly benefits also, just like Leonardo629 suggests

Other than that, non-elec PSW is not very hard to install at all, you got to skip all the harness/wires work. But try not to close the truck after disconnecting the battery, otherwise you would ended up like me crawling into the back seat and ripped the arm rest off and managed to pull the emergency trunk release...

Cheers
Didn't want to repost all the pics, but really wanted to thank you for your post. Glad I read the sticky all the way to this last one. I thought they changed the wheel for '11 and there weren't holes anymore or the airbag release had changed! This was a very helpful illustration. Thanks much! Went on in 20 minutes. I love the quality of the OEM fit and stitching - this is an incredible buy in a performance Alcantara steering wheel. Not so crazy about the blue, but hope I'll get used to it.
__________________
E92 M3 MR on Red/Black ZCP Sound
Carbon

2007 997S - sold
2003 E46 M3 Steel Grey on Red- sold
1997 E36 M3 Arctic Silver on Black- sold
rye m3 is offline   Switzerland
0
Reply With Quote
      12-28-2011, 07:38 PM   #104
werly
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2011 MR E92 M3
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: SoCal

Posts: 328
iTrader: (1)

Send a message via MSN to werly
Quote:
Originally Posted by rye m3 View Post
Didn't want to repost all the pics, but really wanted to thank you for your post. Glad I read the sticky all the way to this last one. I thought they changed the wheel for '11 and there weren't holes anymore or the airbag release had changed! This was a very helpful illustration. Thanks much! Went on in 20 minutes. I love the quality of the OEM fit and stitching - this is an incredible buy in a performance Alcantara steering wheel. Not so crazy about the blue, but hope I'll get used to it.
You got it! I just thought to return some favors to the forum

I love my PSW as well, the blue ring is a bonus, if only the electronic one has it I will absolutely jump on that, but doing that DIY is another story...haha
werly is offline   Taiwan
0
Reply With Quote
      01-07-2012, 08:01 PM   #105
TTG
...
 
TTG's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Seattle, WA

Posts: 2,850
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
Thank You Kmarei Big time....

As you indicated the most difficult part of this mod is to remove the airbag which OP doesn't get into too much. Thank you for posting your update.

It took me 20 mins total for the install.....

People with silver int should really consider this mod as the blue on the steering wheel goes very well with the interior color!

__________________
Retired: 2011 E92 M3 AW w/ Silver Novillo ZCP, ZTP, ZPP, 494, 6FL, 507, 302 & 415.....ED April 29th, 2010
Retired: 2007 E92 335i -Space Gray, Black Leatherette + Alum, Nav, ZCW, ZSP, PDC, CA & Sunshade.....ED Oct 19th, 2006
TTG is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-05-2012, 10:35 PM   #106
utah_ee
New Member
 
Drives: '08 M3 Sedan 6M
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Utah

Posts: 12
iTrader: (0)

Awesome DIY!!
utah_ee is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-16-2012, 09:20 PM   #107
rhouck
Registered
 
rhouck's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Posts: 238
iTrader: (2)

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this DIY. I used it on Saturday and everything went smoothly!
rhouck is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-25-2012, 01:13 AM   #108
thorny
Captain
 
thorny's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 X5 E70, 2011 M3 E92
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Houston, TX

Posts: 947
iTrader: (9)

I just installed my new Alcantra steering wheel (non-electric). I forgot to disconnect the battery and now I have a Pass. Restraint Error. Any ideas on how to get rid of it? Thank you.
thorny is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-27-2012, 11:42 AM   #109
Yodaime
Just a normal member.
 
Yodaime's Avatar
 
Drives: Banh Xeo
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Louisiana

Posts: 3,399
iTrader: (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonardo629 View Post
This DIY helped me out a lot, I just installed my M performance wheel (non-elec), and it only took about 20 min.


Sorry to jack thread but how hard is it to install this wheel? Do you have to mess with any electrical stuff like the bmw performance electric wheel? I got the same wheel as you.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrrm1127 View Post
My life is complete. Yodaime has commented on a post with my car in it.
Yodaime is offline   Vietnam
0
Reply With Quote
      05-02-2012, 01:11 AM   #110
thorny
Captain
 
thorny's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 X5 E70, 2011 M3 E92
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Houston, TX

Posts: 947
iTrader: (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny View Post
I just installed my new Alcantra steering wheel (non-electric). I forgot to disconnect the battery and now I have a Pass. Restraint Error. Any ideas on how to get rid of it? Thank you.
I solved my problem. Got Bavarian Technic cable and erased the code. If you face the same problem and decide to go the same route, be sure to turn on hazard flashers, otherwise cable wont communicate!
thorny is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:02 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST