BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-26-2011, 07:44 PM   #1
604
Private First Class
 
604's Avatar
 
Drives: m3
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: 604 Bay Area

Posts: 119
iTrader: (0)

Looking for new tires

Hi guys, I needed to get new tires for my 08' e92 m3 (all four). Its got the stock 19's. Any advice on tires? I was thinking the Michelin PS2's or the Super Sport, whats the difference between the two? I noticed that the PS2's are more expensive. Know any places that give great deals? Let me know, thanks! Also, what sizes should I go with? Should I stick with the 245/35/19 and 265/35/19?
__________________
604 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-27-2011, 09:18 AM   #2
Brosef
Colonel
 
Brosef's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 M
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Chicago

Posts: 2,150
iTrader: (3)

the super sport is the successor to the PS2. pay no mind to the fact that they're less expensive - PS2's were just overpriced to begin with. the super sports have been tested to show that they're superior in just about every way.

if it's just for the street, super sports all the way. they're great tires. you could find cheaper tires out there, but, in my experience, you get what you pay for.

I always buy from Tirerack. they're a forum sponsor, and their service is top notch.
Brosef is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-27-2011, 09:38 AM   #3
elh0102
Captain
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: USA

Posts: 704
iTrader: (0)

The PSS is a great tire. I have a set on 18 wheels in 275/35-18 and love them. Due to current 19 limited availability, you will need to consider 255/35 and 275/35, or wait a while for delivery of the OE sizes. I think Tire Rack is estimating several months.
__________________
2011 Space Gray Coupe, DCT, ZCP, StopTech ST-60/ST-40 BBK.
elh0102 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-27-2011, 02:50 PM   #4
a burrito
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: '11 E90 M3, '12 958 S
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Irvine, CA

Posts: 1,903
iTrader: (1)

Send a message via AIM to a burrito
I just got AD08's and they're a great candidate for replacing PS2's. So far they're been much more sticker than PS2's and have much more stiffer sidewalls.. As for the rain, I haven't tried them in the rain yet..
__________________
Peanut Butter Chunky

AD08. Akra. Huper Optik. KW V3. Macht Schnell. RE SSK. TMS.
a burrito is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-28-2011, 02:45 PM   #5
604
Private First Class
 
604's Avatar
 
Drives: m3
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: 604 Bay Area

Posts: 119
iTrader: (0)

Hi guys, so I have been trying to get the PSS but I can't find the 265 rears!!! So what if i go with the 255/35/19 up front and 275/35/19 in the back? Is that better than getting the 245/35/19 and 265/35/19? Does it make a big difference? I really wanted the PSS because they are much cheaper and seem better than the ps2. But the ps2's come in the original size...thanks guys. Let me know
__________________
604 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-28-2011, 07:19 PM   #6
elh0102
Captain
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: USA

Posts: 704
iTrader: (0)

The 255/275 should work fine, not a big difference at all.
__________________
2011 Space Gray Coupe, DCT, ZCP, StopTech ST-60/ST-40 BBK.
elh0102 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-28-2011, 07:30 PM   #7
bobbyd1961
Banned
 
Drives: 2009 M3 sedan LeMans Blue
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: new jersey

Posts: 2,411
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brosef View Post
the super sport is the successor to the PS2. pay no mind to the fact that they're less expensive - PS2's were just overpriced to begin with. the super sports have been tested to show that they're superior in just about every way.

if it's just for the street, super sports all the way. they're great tires. you could find cheaper tires out there, but, in my experience, you get what you pay for.

I always buy from Tirerack. they're a forum sponsor, and their service is top notch.
just got the super sports 275 rear 255 front and im very happy
bobbyd1961 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-17-2011, 03:05 AM   #8
bblefas
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2011.5 M3 COUPE ZCP
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: BOSTON MA

Posts: 172
iTrader: (0)

Thumbs up

go for the pireli p-zero,,,the real p-zero not the corsa or any of the others My 20011 came with them from fact and I'm impressed i love these tires!!http://www.m3post.com/forums/images/icons/icon14.gif
bblefas is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-17-2011, 06:03 AM   #9
cole328
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2011 M3 Convertible
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: FL

Posts: 276
iTrader: (0)

My car came with the conti 3's...stock 19's never really liked them, so once they were done at 10K, I got the PS2's VERY happy better handling, cornering, etc good control of the car, but in the rain, I honestly felt that was the only area where the conti's were better

car is a DD, and i'm happy with the choice
cole328 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-17-2011, 06:41 AM   #10
TobiasMUC
Second Lieutenant
 
TobiasMUC's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW M3 Coupe E92
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Munich / Germany

Posts: 204
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 BMW M3 E92  [5.00]
I recommend Pirelli P Zero.
TobiasMUC is offline   Germany
0
Reply With Quote
      10-17-2011, 06:51 AM   #11
JOM3JO
Private First Class
 
Drives: e92 m3
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: sydney

Posts: 161
iTrader: (0)

RE-11...
JOM3JO is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-17-2011, 11:25 AM   #12
F82_SID
Brigadier General
 
F82_SID's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011.5 MR/BB E92 M3
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Denver, CO. USA

Posts: 3,081
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by elh0102 View Post
The PSS is a great tire. I have a set on 18” wheels in 275/35-18 and love them. Due to current 19” limited availability, you will need to consider 255/35 and 275/35, or wait a while for delivery of the OE sizes. I think Tire Rack is estimating several months.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyd1961 View Post
just got the super sports 275 rear 255 front and im very happy
Quote:
Originally Posted by elh0102 View Post
The 255/275 should work fine, not a big difference at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 604 View Post
Hi guys, so I have been trying to get the PSS but I can't find the 265 rears!!! So what if i go with the 255/35/19 up front and 275/35/19 in the back? Is that better than getting the 245/35/19 and 265/35/19? Does it make a big difference? I really wanted the PSS because they are much cheaper and seem better than the ps2. But the ps2's come in the original size...thanks guys. Let me know
I just had a set of Super Sport 275 rears and 255 fronts installed on my OEM 220's this past Saturday.

I paid 1470 total! That price is installed AND, the shop threw in 2 free replacement/repair certificates for the rears so I bought the other 2 certs for the front. I picked up my set from the local DiscountTireCo.

Fyi, Michelin has a special going on until the 22nd where if you order four Michelin tires then you get a 70$ prepaid Visa back.
__________________
2011/E92/M3/MR/BB/ZCV/ZP2/EDC/2MT

Last edited by F82_SID; 10-17-2011 at 11:33 AM.
F82_SID is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-19-2011, 10:57 PM   #13
604
Private First Class
 
604's Avatar
 
Drives: m3
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: 604 Bay Area

Posts: 119
iTrader: (0)

I ended up finding a brand new set of wheels and tires (oem 19's with ps2's) on craigslist. Picked them up for super cheap. Thanks guys!
__________________
604 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-02-2011, 08:06 PM   #14
a proper hooligan
New Member
 
Drives: 2011 E90 M3
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Los Angeles

Posts: 9
iTrader: (0)

just did hankook ventus v12's 255/35/19, 275/35/19, great tires, great price too! slightly noiser than my initial contisport 3 but better in all other aspects imo
a proper hooligan is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-04-2011, 07:59 AM   #15
jonasaurus
Brigadier General
 
jonasaurus's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: London

Posts: 3,141
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by a burrito View Post
I just got AD08's and they're a great candidate for replacing PS2's. So far they're been much more sticker than PS2's and have much more stiffer sidewalls.. As for the rain, I haven't tried them in the rain yet..
Just looked up tirerack and for AD08's for 18s and the possible load ratings they offer arent quite the same as those offered on OEM ps2s. OEM 18s (245/40/18 + 265/40/18) that come with PS2s would have F = 93Y and R = 97Y, whereas the AD08s in the same size offer F = 93W and R = 101W.

So different load rating for the rear and slightly lower speed rating overall, would there be any impact in running the load ratings 93 in the front and 101 in the rear or is it just a case of adjusting the psi according for the rears
__________________
///M3 | E90 LCI | Space Grey | Fox Red with CF Structure | 6MT | 260M | My build
jonasaurus is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      11-04-2011, 08:22 AM   #16
M3SQRD
Colonel
 
M3SQRD's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3s, R56 Cooper S
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: EC

Posts: 2,441
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonasaurus View Post
Just looked up tirerack and for AD08's for 18s and the possible load ratings they offer arent quite the same as those offered on OEM ps2s. OEM 18s (245/40/18 + 265/40/18) that come with PS2s would have F = 93Y and R = 97Y, whereas the AD08s in the same size offer F = 93W and R = 101W.

So different load rating for the rear and slightly lower speed rating overall, would there be any impact in running the load ratings 93 in the front and 101 in the rear or is it just a case of adjusting the psi according for the rears
No issues with running these tires. I doubt the difference in speed rating will ever be a practical issue, and you probably won't need to use different pressures, although it never hurts to play around with tire pressures to find what works best for your driving style.
M3SQRD is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-04-2011, 07:50 PM   #17
clubspec330i
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2008 E90 M3
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: So. Cal

Posts: 291
iTrader: (0)

Highly recommend Pilot Super Sport

I am running 265/275-18. Ride quality, traction, and responsiveness are overall better than my previous NT05 and PS2 (OEM).

Good luck.
clubspec330i is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-04-2011, 08:09 PM   #18
disapr
drop a gear and...
 
Drives: 2010 M3
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Houston, TX

Posts: 961
iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
RE-11 in stock sizing
__________________
disapr is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-04-2011, 09:12 PM   #19
smmmurf
Colonel
 
Drives: 2009 M3 Sedan 6MT
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Pleasanton, CA

Posts: 2,090
iTrader: (7)

Michelin Pilot Super Sport have significantly more grip than stock in the dry--this is good, but if you're on stock suspension, the car will bind up a little more and tend to push given stock tire sizes. I think I need to put some more more front camber into it to compensate. The PSS has a higher grip level overall but the car is changed in the balance since the suspension doesn't get any stiffer and so it takes more effort to break the car out. The PS2's seemed to slide a bit more progressively given the soft stock suspension.

In the wet, the PSS are really great. They're a significant step up from the PS2's.
__________________
M3 Sedan - AW/Black - 6MT - no moonroof - no folding seats - RAC RG63 - clear bra by Omega Werks
smmmurf is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:20 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST