BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos
 
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-24-2011, 09:33 PM   #1
Blacklite
New Member
2
Rep
28
Posts

 
Drives: None-existent
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Bimmer lover but love the Audi R8

I love bimmers but lately I've seen some videos on YT on some Audi R8s. Now I know we have the M's and whatnot, but the R8 is a gorgeous car, and I wish BMW made something kind of like it. I kind of feel guilty liking it, but I can't help it!! ahah What are your opinions on the R8?
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 10:16 PM   #2
Impervious
UNC FTW
Impervious's Avatar
Pakistan
7
Rep
702
Posts

 
Drives: Black Sapphire 135i
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: NC

iTrader: (0)

Fantastic car for which I have lots of respect. I too wish BMW would build something to compete with it.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 10:33 PM   #3
-=Hot|Ice=-
Been There, Done That.
-=Hot|Ice=-'s Avatar
United_States
184
Rep
4,727
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 BMW M3
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Maryland

iTrader: (0)

You feel guilty liking it? The R8 is a respectable automobile.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaypod View Post
You sound like my buddies who have AMG's - Slam the gas, slam the brakes...
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 10:45 PM   #4
TK-421
Registered Sex Offender
United_States
141
Rep
4,765
Posts

 
Drives: E46 M3 | 1JZ S13
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Tampa, FL

iTrader: (0)

V8 R8 = lol. The V10, on the otherhand, is fantastic but always seems to me like the poor man's LP560 (obviously you're not poor if you can afford an R8 but you should see what I'm getting at).

BMW is a changed brand. They won't be making exciting stuff that will stop traffic or be on a kid's bedroom wall poster, like Mercedes' SLR/SLS or Audi's R8. The most radical production car with a roundel on it to hit the streets recently was the M3 GTS, which was a minority altered version of an existing sports coupe and nothing short of a straight up joke. The brand is going to milk the "i" electric cars for all they're worth and neglect the true enthusiasts in the meantime. The Ultimate Driving Machine? Not in my book, at least not anymore.
__________________
Stop putting stuff like painted reflectors and premium package in your signature. You're embarrassing.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 10:54 PM   #5
Impervious
UNC FTW
Impervious's Avatar
Pakistan
7
Rep
702
Posts

 
Drives: Black Sapphire 135i
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: NC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-421 View Post
They won't be making exciting stuff that will stop traffic or be on a kid's bedroom wall poster, like Mercedes' SLR/SLS or Audi's R8.
I hope they will be pressured into building one seeing how Lexus, Mercedes, and Audi all have a super car... even if it is just for marketing reasons.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2011, 12:26 AM   #6
Cdnrockies
Banned
Canada
18
Rep
1,113
Posts

 
Drives: BMW's
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Calgary

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-421 View Post
V8 R8 = lol. The V10, on the otherhand, is fantastic but always seems to me like the poor man's LP560 (obviously you're not poor if you can afford an R8 but you should see what I'm getting at).
I agree that the V8 is weak sauce for a "performance", borderline exotic.

The V10 is a beast however and I don't see anything wrong with the comparison you made. It is part of the same company and there is certainly room for both cars at their price points.

I see your analogy as being the exact same as the XK-R is the "poor man's" Vantage. No wrong choice with any of these cars.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2011, 09:14 AM   #7
Q4P
Colonel
Q4P's Avatar
United_States
33
Rep
2,296
Posts

 
Drives: Too Much
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: World

iTrader: (0)

BMW needs a halo car...

A TT V-12 of some sort that is mid engined and potentially AWD with killer looks. Something that could complete with a 911 Turbo S, R8, Corvette ZR1 and the Nissan GTR. Price it in the 150K range and they'll be OK.
__________________
2jZ + RB26 + 4G63 + LS9 + N54 =
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2011, 09:17 AM   #8
Red Bread
Brigadier General
United_States
45
Rep
4,351
Posts

 
Drives: My wife's car
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Dallas, TX

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Anyone that hasn't driven the V8 model and dismisses is it missing out. It's not the fastest thing around, but it's still plenty quick and sounds great, a very comparable car to a 997 Carrera S. Whatever you do, avoid the two pedal option on either motor.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2011, 05:48 PM   #9
Year's_End
RWD only.
Year's_End's Avatar
United_States
329
Rep
12,334
Posts

 
Drives: '08 E92 335i
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: St. Pete, FL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Questforpower View Post
BMW needs a halo car...

A TT V-12 of some sort that is mid engined and potentially AWD with killer looks. Something that could complete with a 911 Turbo S, R8, Corvette ZR1 and the Nissan GTR. Price it in the 150K range and they'll be OK.
lol are you serious bro
__________________
E92 335i: Space Grey|Coral Red|Aluminum Trim

Future Ride: 2015 Mustang GT Premium |Guard|401A|PP|Recaros|6MT
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2011, 06:06 PM   #10
Q4P
Colonel
Q4P's Avatar
United_States
33
Rep
2,296
Posts

 
Drives: Too Much
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: World

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Year's_End View Post
lol are you serious bro
Why not?

Mercedes SLS
Audi R8
Porsche 911 Turbo S

All those fit the bill and are halo cars, why doesn't BMW have one?
__________________
2jZ + RB26 + 4G63 + LS9 + N54 =
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2011, 06:15 PM   #11
Year's_End
RWD only.
Year's_End's Avatar
United_States
329
Rep
12,334
Posts

 
Drives: '08 E92 335i
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: St. Pete, FL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Questforpower View Post
Why not?

Mercedes SLS
Audi R8
Porsche 911 Turbo S

All those fit the bill and are halo cars, why doesn't BMW have one?
A halo car should represent a brand's core values turned up to 11. There has never been an AWD performance (i.e. M) BMW, although the next gen M5/6 will reportedly receive wrong-wheel-drive variants. Also, you won't find many companies investing the R&D to develop V12s (FI or otherwise) due to CAFE standards, at least not a company like BMW which has CO2 emissions at top priority.

I agree that BMW needs a halo car, because even though I know they never generate direct profit, they do create a lot of brand momentum (which should in effect generate more overall sales). Had Lexus or Audi never created the LFA/R8, I'm sure their performance credentials would take a substantial hit.

My bet is on the i8 receiving an M variant. The i8's figures are finalized or nearly so, right? Not really sure, but I'm willing to put money on a "real" performance car being made out of that chassis, with a more suitable drivetrain. I'd bet the engine would be a force-fed six or eight cylinder, and the price for the M variant would be around the 175-225k range.
__________________
E92 335i: Space Grey|Coral Red|Aluminum Trim

Future Ride: 2015 Mustang GT Premium |Guard|401A|PP|Recaros|6MT
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2011, 06:40 PM   #12
Q4P
Colonel
Q4P's Avatar
United_States
33
Rep
2,296
Posts

 
Drives: Too Much
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: World

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Year's_End View Post
A halo car should represent a brand's core values turned up to 11. There has never been an AWD performance (i.e. M) BMW, although the next gen M5/6 will reportedly receive wrong-wheel-drive variants. Also, you won't find many companies investing the R&D to develop V12s (FI or otherwise) due to CAFE standards, at least not a company like BMW which has CO2 emissions at top priority.

I agree that BMW needs a halo car, because even though I know they never generate direct profit, they do create a lot of brand momentum (which should in effect generate more overall sales). Had Lexus or Audi never created the LFA/R8, I'm sure their performance credentials would take a substantial hit.

My bet is on the i8 receiving an M variant. The i8's figures are finalized or nearly so, right? Not really sure, but I'm willing to put money on a "real" performance car being made out of that chassis, with a more suitable drivetrain. I'd bet the engine would be a force-fed six or eight cylinder, and the price for the M variant would be around the 175-225k range.
1. I think at the power levels of a halo car, BMW would not be able to create a very controllable Rear Wheel Drive car with close to 600 horsepower. The new M5 has 560 and weighs 4200 lbs, this halo car would have to be at the most 3500 lbs and that's pushing it. See, Mercedes SLS and how it does with RWD and its handling capabilities, it's essentially nothing but something comparable to an American drag car.

2. I doubt BMW would develop a halo car that has an NA powerplant unless it's a massive V-12 ala 850i when the lower level FI models such as the soon to be M3, the new M5 will provide much greater torque numbers and be much more pleasant to drive. In addition, an FI6 will be in the new M3 and an FI8 will be in the M5, that is way to close to what is already available. Besides, the GTR is the only car that has been able to pull off an amazing modern FI6 fit up to the standards of a halo car. The LFA and R8 have nothing to do with the production cars of their respective makes.

3. I don't see the I8 or anything close to it as being a "halo car". Looks are one thing, the drivetrain is another but that car simply is not cool in any way.

4. I doubt CAFE standards will be a big deal on a one off halo car that may be made for 300 or so vehicles.

5. Lexus put a lot of R&D into the LFA, like 10 years worth to create that car and it has nothing to do with its core values and is definitely a step out of the norm. As is the R8 for Audi.

6. The technology from halo cars will trickle down into production cars and a halo car certainly will and always generates momentum in sales so I agree with you there.
__________________
2jZ + RB26 + 4G63 + LS9 + N54 =
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 08:12 AM   #13
NFS13
Car Junkie
NFS13's Avatar
United_States
13
Rep
1,280
Posts

 
Drives: 335is / R8
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: PA

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Anyone that hasn't driven the V8 model and dismisses is it missing out. It's not the fastest thing around, but it's still plenty quick and sounds great, a very comparable car to a 997 Carrera S. Whatever you do, avoid the two pedal option on either motor.
+1 The V8 is quick and handles like a go cart.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 08:19 AM   #14
NFS13
Car Junkie
NFS13's Avatar
United_States
13
Rep
1,280
Posts

 
Drives: 335is / R8
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: PA

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-421 View Post
V8 R8 = lol. The V10, on the otherhand, is fantastic but always seems to me like the poor man's LP560 (obviously you're not poor if you can afford an R8 but you should see what I'm getting at).

BMW is a changed brand. They won't be making exciting stuff that will stop traffic or be on a kid's bedroom wall poster, like Mercedes' SLR/SLS or Audi's R8. The most radical production car with a roundel on it to hit the streets recently was the M3 GTS, which was a minority altered version of an existing sports coupe and nothing short of a straight up joke. The brand is going to milk the "i" electric cars for all they're worth and neglect the true enthusiasts in the meantime. The Ultimate Driving Machine? Not in my book, at least not anymore.
Normally I am on board with most of your posts, but the LP560 comment is way off. Getting the performance of the r8v10 with a 4 year bumper to bumper warranty, and 3x lower routine costs is more smart than poor man. Unless your the "look what I drive" Lambo type?
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 12:59 PM   #15
TK-421
Registered Sex Offender
United_States
141
Rep
4,765
Posts

 
Drives: E46 M3 | 1JZ S13
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Tampa, FL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS13 View Post
Normally I am on board with most of your posts, but the LP560 comment is way off. Getting the performance of the r8v10 with a 4 year bumper to bumper warranty, and 3x lower routine costs is more smart than poor man. Unless your the "look what I drive" Lambo type?
I should've clarified - that's the perception most people I've talked to have, as well as that being one of the usual comments made when one is spotted. I've had passenger seat time in 2 of them during spirited driving and it definitely fits the bill for supercar performance while it's much more livable. I can easily see the appeal in that. Again, it's basically a stereotype that I've noticed. In the end it's 2 different cars for 2 different needs.
__________________
Stop putting stuff like painted reflectors and premium package in your signature. You're embarrassing.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 03:44 PM   #16
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
UltimateBMW's Avatar
105
Rep
3,287
Posts

 
Drives: MP4
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: South

iTrader: (0)

I'm with Nikka on this.

I heard the plan was to use the i8 chassis to make an M8 variant. The hold up is most likely that they plan on extensive use of CFRP. (like the i3/i8)
__________________
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 03:48 PM   #17
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
UltimateBMW's Avatar
105
Rep
3,287
Posts

 
Drives: MP4
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: South

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-421 View Post
The Ultimate Driving Machine? Not in my book, at least not anymore.
Ultimate Driving Machine doesn't always have to mean 'OMGWTFBBQ nuclear power and acceleration'. It just means that everything in the car works harmoniously with the driver (you). You get in, and it just feels right to drive regardless of speed.

Granted it needs to zoom, but it doesn't need to devastate the road beneath it every time you start from zero.

At least, that's what I take it for. And I'm more often happy with their products than not.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 05:21 PM   #18
dubsesd
Colonel
dubsesd's Avatar
41
Rep
2,685
Posts

 
Drives: Z4M coupe / X5 35d LCI /F150
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Ottawa

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-421 View Post
V8 R8 = lol. The V10, on the otherhand, is fantastic but always seems to me like the poor man's LP560 (obviously you're not poor if you can afford an R8 but you should see what I'm getting at).
have you driven any of those cars? my dad has the V8 R8 and my neighbour has the V10 R8 and unless you are on the racetrack you cant feel a difference. the V8 actually sounds better, and the V10 has alot more pickup after 4500-5000rpm . and since you are comparing the LP to the V10 R8, just becasue they have the same motor doesnt meet they are in direct competition with one another. the LP560 has a much harsher ride, stiffer clutch and less ground clearance at approach angles. the R8 can be driven as a daily driver, and the LP560 is a bit of a nuisance.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 06:39 PM   #19
immiketoo
Colonel
immiketoo's Avatar
71
Rep
2,873
Posts

 
Drives: Smoothly
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Chicago Burbs

iTrader: (0)

The R8 is pure sex in either version. I think BMW should make a new M1 halo car. That would be badass.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by double eagle View Post
Thickness feels good to me and my hands aren't that big.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 05:42 PM   #20
graider
Colonel
graider's Avatar
26
Rep
2,408
Posts

 
Drives: py/kiwi e46 m3
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: toronto

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Questforpower View Post
Why not?

Mercedes SLS
Audi R8
Porsche 911 Turbo S

All those fit the bill and are halo cars, why doesn't BMW have one?
I agree. why not.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2011, 02:07 AM   #21
Garduna
Brigadier General
Garduna's Avatar
Canada
51
Rep
4,009
Posts

 
Drives: 128i Sedona Red
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by immiketoo View Post
The R8 is pure sex in either version. I think BMW should make a new M1 halo car. That would be badass.
a super M1 as bmw's halo car? Sounds good to me.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:43 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST