BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)
 
E92-lighting
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-01-2011, 12:39 PM   #1
Mr. ///M3 RD
Major General
Mr. ///M3 RD's Avatar
Canada
149
Rep
7,863
Posts

 
Drives: E350 & 280 SL on Weekends :)
Join Date: May 2010
Location: GTA, Ontario - Canada

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
How did you purchase your ///M3

I mean ... do you consult with family members (most of us are purchasing this car for ourselves). Do you have long discussions and get the red light not to do it like "You crazy spending all this money on 4 wheels" etc. etc.

Or do you just go out and do it and face the music after the fact?

I for one do the later and deal with the music after the fact ... then it's done with.

I've purchased my last three Bimmers like that ... just purchased it and came home with the news ... what's your story?

EDIT .... ===> High time to tell my e46 and e92 story too, see Post 65 and 66 below respectively
__________________
Cheers, Rolf-Dieter

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well
---> Click here for some good stuff I found

Last edited by Mr. ///M3 RD; 11-03-2011 at 06:42 PM. Reason: EDIT .... ===> High time to tell my e46 and e92 story too, see Post 65 and 66 respectively :)
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 12:44 PM   #2
Erhan
Colonel
Erhan's Avatar
United_States
37
Rep
2,466
Posts

 
Drives: Cooper S
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Seattle

iTrader: (0)

I think majority of people buy an M3 based on what the internet says.
__________________
2011 MINI Cooper S
previous cars: E92 M3, Z4MC, Z4 Roadster, E36 328 Sedan
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 12:44 PM   #3
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
Templar's Avatar
United_States
40
Rep
1,824
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: One of the coasts...

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [5.00]
Was deployed to Iraq, twice, saved the money, and bought it.

No family here, so no one to bug me about spending lots of money
__________________
'11 BMW E92 ///M3 - ZCP and DCT
'13 Toyota Tundra - 4x4 Platinum CrewMax, 5.7l iForce V8
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 12:52 PM   #4
Schussler6
Private
Schussler6's Avatar
United_States
1
Rep
88
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 E90 M3  [4.17]
2012 VW Jetta  [0.00]
2011 Ducati 848 EVO  [5.00]
was going back and forth with my family about it and they never believed i would get one they just blew off the idea until one day i came home with one i traded in my 335i then of course i had to deal with all the negativeness once i got home but i didnt care i finally had my M
__________________
ALWAYSNBOOST
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 01:00 PM   #5
checkmate
Major
checkmate's Avatar
United_States
25
Rep
1,335
Posts

 
Drives: AW M3 E90
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Bel Air, MD

iTrader: (2)

Took the wife to test drive the 328xi, 335 and the M3 sedan. She said its M3 or nothing. Count me happy as a monkey with bananas.
__________________
2011 Alpine White/Fox Red E90 M3. Sunroof Delete/DCT/No power seats/Square Apex ARC8s+ PSS /ACM Exhaust Mod+ EAS Tips

Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 01:04 PM   #6
M3Monster
Private
0
Rep
63
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E90 M3
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Valencia, Ca

iTrader: (0)

My wife knew I wanted either an M3 or M5 since the first time we met. I would alway talk about getting one, research the crap out of which dealers had what models. We were always able to financially afford it, but I could never pull the trigger. We went to dinner one night and afterwards went to the dealer which I knew had exactly what I was looking for. She did the negotiating due to not having any emotional attachment to the car and she's a District attorney for LA county so she knows how to bargain. Drove away an hour later in the new M3.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 01:18 PM   #7
Mr. ///M3 RD
Major General
Mr. ///M3 RD's Avatar
Canada
149
Rep
7,863
Posts

 
Drives: E350 & 280 SL on Weekends :)
Join Date: May 2010
Location: GTA, Ontario - Canada

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by erhanh View Post
I think majority of people buy an M3 based on what the internet says.
You have a good point, I purchased my first M3 (e46 a 2002) that way, saw it fell in love with ii while on a project on the coast. In the evening in the hotel I researched the car on the internet ... then called the wife told her I got you a nice present ... a rose cut into a glass cube it has an inscription it says "I love you" ... oh and btw I got myself an M3 I'll be driving it home once the project is complete saving the air fair ... I said all this with a big

Quote:
Originally Posted by Templar View Post
Was deployed to Iraq, twice, saved the money, and bought it.

No family here, so no one to bug me about spending lots of money
... you so deserve a nice car like this Thanks for Serving !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schussler6 View Post
was going back and forth with my family about it and they never believed i would get one they just blew off the idea until one day i came home with one i traded in my 335i then of course i had to deal with all the negativeness once i got home but i didnt care i finally had my M
This is the best way ... one day of negativity rather then weeks on end Well done

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmate View Post
Took the wife to test drive the 328xi, 335 and the M3 sedan. She said its M3 or nothing. Count me happy as a monkey with bananas.
Don't we all wish we had wife's that love cars, you are a lucky camper indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Monster View Post
My wife knew I wanted either an M3 or M5 since the first time we met. I would alway talk about getting one, research the crap out of which dealers had what models. We were always able to financially afford it, but I could never pull the trigger. We went to dinner one night and afterwards went to the dealer which I knew had exactly what I was looking for. She did the negotiating due to not having any emotional attachment to the car and she's a District attorney for LA county so she knows how to bargain. Drove away an hour later in the new M3.
Great to have a good negotiators, come to think of it my wife could have saved me a fe thousands in the purchase of my last Bimmers, then again it would have never come to pass my way is the better way ... just do it and face the music after for a day or so
__________________
Cheers, Rolf-Dieter

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 01:18 PM   #8
mamadub
Captain
mamadub's Avatar
United_States
19
Rep
823
Posts

 
Drives: Melbourne Red 2011 E93
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Arizona

iTrader: (0)

I had an 05 M3 when I was married. Ex got it in the divorce. Always loved that car and thought why not just go buy myself one. After discussing different car possibilities with my brother who owns several Italian and German beauties, he also felt the M3 would be the perfect car for me. After driving a 08 M3, I was so excited that I actually could not form a sentence to express how fun it was to drive at 110 mph on the highway...I was literally stuttering. Then I wondered what the price difference would be in a new one. My parents insisted on taking me down to a dealer to talk about a new car knowing they were not going to let me leave without purchasing one. They were kind enough to kick in 5K and then the 5 week wait began for it to make it's way to my garage!!
__________________


Black Novillo Extended Leather, Convenience Package, Premium Package 2, DCT, DDC, BMW Apps, Custom Stereo upgrade, Eisenmann Sport Black Series Exhaust, 20"HRE's P45SC's. Color matched Brembo 380/345's, KW Coilovers
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 01:36 PM   #9
immiketoo
Colonel
immiketoo's Avatar
71
Rep
2,873
Posts

 
Drives: Smoothly
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Chicago Burbs

iTrader: (0)

After very careful consideration the first time, completely on a whim the second.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by double eagle View Post
Thickness feels good to me and my hands aren't that big.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 01:42 PM   #10
Mr. ///M3 RD
Major General
Mr. ///M3 RD's Avatar
Canada
149
Rep
7,863
Posts

 
Drives: E350 & 280 SL on Weekends :)
Join Date: May 2010
Location: GTA, Ontario - Canada

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamadub View Post
I had an 05 M3 when I was married. Ex got it in the divorce. Always loved that car and thought why not just go buy myself one. After discussing different car possibilities with my brother who owns several Italian and German beauties, he also felt the M3 would be the perfect car for me. After driving a 08 M3, I was so excited that I actually could not form a sentence to express how fun it was to drive at 110 mph on the highway...I was literally stuttering. Then I wondered what the price difference would be in a new one. My parents insisted on taking me down to a dealer to talk about a new car knowing they were not going to let me leave without purchasing one. They were kind enough to kick in 5K and then the 5 week wait began for it to make it's way to my garage!!
You obviously like nice cars like your brother does and know quality when you see and feel it .... I am sure future purchases of cars (like your now M3) will never be an issue ... you just get what you like and that is the way to do it ....

Now re: your former M5 I wonder if your ex is driving around with plates that say "WAS HERS" ... just thinking out loud, I do that a lot

Quote:
Originally Posted by immiketoo View Post
After very careful consideration the first time, completely on a whim the second.
That's the way to do it ... you knew what you had before and knew that the boys at the ///M Division would not let you down
__________________
Cheers, Rolf-Dieter

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 02:56 PM   #11
M3PO
Colonel
M3PO's Avatar
34
Rep
2,777
Posts

 
Drives: '08 IB E92
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: OC

iTrader: (7)

My lady knows that I'm a car nut. I give her plenty of time in between cars to prepare for the next one. She knows that a GT-R is my future (2-3 years) for example.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 02:59 PM   #12
valeram
Major
14
Rep
1,346
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3 DCT
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Dublin, OH

iTrader: (0)

Just bought it but with serious justifications just in case she insists. She knows that I deserve the best one I can afford.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 03:12 PM   #13
Foodle
Captain
United_States
11
Rep
769
Posts

 
Drives: 2011.75 E90 M3
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: PA

iTrader: (0)

Wife: Why don't you get a new car. You deserve it.
Me: Ok ...

At that point it was entirely at my discretion what to get. If I'd gotten something highly impractical or outrageously expensive (e.g., if car cost > wife's vacation home cost), it might have been a problem, but otherwise I got a blank check.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 03:16 PM   #14
Foodle
Captain
United_States
11
Rep
769
Posts

 
Drives: 2011.75 E90 M3
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: PA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolf-Dieter View Post
I for one do the later and deal with the music after the fact ... then it's done with.
This wouldn't work in my case. The above would lead to the below ...

Quote:
I had an 05 M3 when I was married. Ex got it in the divorce.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 03:26 PM   #15
dnvrdrvr
Captain Obvious
dnvrdrvr's Avatar
United_States
8
Rep
799
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 Carbon X5M
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Denver, CO

iTrader: (4)

Was planning to order a 335 and the husband insisted I get an M3. I think he thought he'd get to drive it more than he does. sucka!
__________________
Just a girl and her 550 ponies...
www.mw3motorsports.com
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 03:44 PM   #16
Mr. ///M3 RD
Major General
Mr. ///M3 RD's Avatar
Canada
149
Rep
7,863
Posts

 
Drives: E350 & 280 SL on Weekends :)
Join Date: May 2010
Location: GTA, Ontario - Canada

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3PO View Post
My lady knows that I'm a car nut. I give her plenty of time in between cars to prepare for the next one. She knows that a GT-R is my future (2-3 years) for example.
I am a car nut as well and I do drop hints here and then to warm up the waters

I do have to slow down, in the past 4 years ... 4 cars have lived in my garage (a Jag, a M3 and 2 Z4's they are now history) two new once are there now and I must say they get along fine with one another

Quote:
Originally Posted by valeram View Post
Just bought it but with serious justifications just in case she insists. She knows that I deserve the best one I can afford.
I had to be very nice to my wife on the phone (when I got my first M3) I needed her to arrange for a cash transfer form my bank and ship my plates from a previous car I sold I too could afford it, otherwise I would have not done it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foodle View Post
Wife: Why don't you get a new car. You deserve it.
Me: Ok ...

At that point it was entirely at my discretion what to get. If I'd gotten something highly impractical or outrageously expensive (e.g., if car cost > wife's vacation home cost), it might have been a problem, but otherwise I got a blank check.
Sounds like you can have your cake and eat it too ... great position to be in

Quote:
Originally Posted by SehrSchnell View Post
I let my wife adopt a new pet, and then buy a new car, add a supercharger, get a new gun, etc...
Way to go, like I said before when I was on a project ... phoned her told her I got you a nice gift .... and went on oh btw for myself I got a M3, oh she said what's that? a car I said ... she in an angry voice ... not another car, oh it's a 2 year old car and you can drive my car now when I get home ... then quickly changed the subject ... I'm such a devil yes I know

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foodle View Post
This wouldn't work in my case. The above would lead to the below ...
Well you are half way there then, mine would never leave me and if she does I'll keep all the cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrdrvr View Post
Was planning to order a 335 and the husband insisted I get an M3. I think he thought he'd get to drive it more than he does. sucka!
I bet you tell him them there ponies are all mine and they are very temperamental so don't touch ...
__________________
Cheers, Rolf-Dieter

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 03:44 PM   #17
MShift
Private
United_States
0
Rep
90
Posts

 
Drives: Supercharged 370Z
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Miami

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to MShift
I actually like hearing what other people have to say before I make a big financial decision. It seems to be easier to make up my mind (justify it, sometimes) about it once I've heard several opinions.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 03:59 PM   #18
M3PO
Colonel
M3PO's Avatar
34
Rep
2,777
Posts

 
Drives: '08 IB E92
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: OC

iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MShift View Post
I actually like hearing what other people have to say before I make a big financial decision. It seems to be easier to make up my mind (justify it, sometimes) about it once I've heard several opinions.
That doesn't work when you want a car that gets 14 mpg and all of your friends are energy engineers/efficiency nuts like me!

I'd be driving a Prius if I took my friends' advice.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 04:10 PM   #19
Mr. ///M3 RD
Major General
Mr. ///M3 RD's Avatar
Canada
149
Rep
7,863
Posts

 
Drives: E350 & 280 SL on Weekends :)
Join Date: May 2010
Location: GTA, Ontario - Canada

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3PO View Post
That doesn't work when you want a car that gets 14 mpg and all of your friends are energy engineers/efficiency nuts like me!

I'd be driving a Prius if I took my friends' advice.
Milage is a touchy item with our car, it all depends (as you well know) how we drive our car.

I made across country trip this summer (on a project ... could not leave my new acquisition covered up in the garage), I managed to get 10.9 to 11.1 L/100 KM ... I think that is nearing 21 Miles per US Gallon ... drove 10% above speed limits on the highway (mostly US side) the split for the trip I figure was around 90% Highway and 10% towns and city driving some 7,000 KM round trip. Not bad for a sports car
__________________
Cheers, Rolf-Dieter

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 04:17 PM   #20
bsiciliano
Captain
United_States
12
Rep
642
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 M3 Convertible
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (4)

I want married, but I let the GF test drive. She loved it and probably should have gotten 1/3 of the commission.
__________________
2011 E93 - Space Gray - 6MT/Silver Novillo/
OE Tuning/Gruppe M Intake/ACS Springs/Vorsteiner CF Type I Rear Diffuser/Textured Matte Black Custom Powdercoated OEM 359s/Painted Reflectors/Matte Grille, Hood Vents and Side Markers/Arqray Race Exhaust/MS Pulley
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 04:32 PM   #21
matthewk
Private First Class
matthewk's Avatar
United_States
4
Rep
110
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: TX

iTrader: (0)

Sitting on the sofa
Watching Top Gear
Review of M3, RS4, C63
Jeremy Clarkson said "The M3 is the best car of all time"
Drive to BMW
Return from BMW 3hrs later
M3 in garage..

That about sums it up..

(my friends with spouses, don't go about things in such an efficient manner)
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 04:39 PM   #22
Blotman
Private First Class
2
Rep
169
Posts

 
Drives: 08 E90 M3 6MT
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bay Area CA

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewk View Post
Sitting on the sofa
Watching Top Gear
Review of M3, RS4, C63
Jeremy Clarkson said "The M3 is the best car of all time"
Drive to BMW
Return from BMW 3hrs later
M3 in garage..

That about sums it up..

(my friends with spouses, don't go about things in such an efficient manner)
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:11 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST