BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

10-30-2011, 11:03 PM   #1
jjw2331
First Lieutenant

Drives: 2011 JtBlk e92 M3

Flat Tire from Nail

So my back right tire has two nails in the side wall. The Tire is completely flat now, but should I just leave it flat or is it better to jack it up and rest it on a jack stand?

A new tire is going to take about 5 days to come in. Is it okay to leave the rim resting on a flat tire?
      10-31-2011, 11:29 AM   #2
ben@tirerack
M3Post Supporting Vendor

Drives: 740i

If you really want to do it the best way possible, jack that corner up, rest it on a jack stand, and then support the wheel with a block.

That takes the load off of the wheel with the flat tire, but also keeps the suspension from being left to hang loose with the weight of the wheel/tire suspended from it.

I don't really think you'll put a dent in your wheel leaving it sitting on the flat, but if you're worried about it, jackstand plus block is probably the best.

To credit the forum, click through one of the banners in my signature and the top of the page, or call me direct at 877.522.8473 ext 660.
Email:ben@tirerack.com
      10-31-2011, 11:48 AM   #3
jjw2331
First Lieutenant

Thanks for the help!

I lifted the right corner of the car on a jack stand, but I will get a block under it.

Do you have any experience with the temporary tire fix system that M3's come with? Is it too risky to reinflate the tire after using the puncture kit with the nails still in the side wall? The tire shop is about 10 miles from my place. I'm debating if a flat bed truck is necessary for such a trip on a wounded tire. The tire leaks from 33psi to flat in about 3 hours.
      10-31-2011, 01:18 PM   #4
jonasaurus
Brigadier General

Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjw2331 View Post
Thanks for the help!

I lifted the right corner of the car on a jack stand, but I will get a block under it.

Do you have any experience with the temporary tire fix system that M3's come with? Is it too risky to reinflate the tire after using the puncture kit with the nails still in the side wall? The tire shop is about 10 miles from my place. I'm debating if a flat bed truck is necessary for such a trip on a wounded tire. The tire leaks from 33psi to flat in about 3 hours.
Sounds like its no slow leak which may make it more risky I suppose. I had the exact same tyre get a screw in the sidewall stuck out in the burbs two nights ago, I re-inflated using the kit that came with the car, drove carefully home (approx 10 miles) and next morning went to buy a new ps2. That next morning it had gone from 40psi (I purposely over inflated) down to about 21psi so reinflated again and drove to the tyre shot (< 5miles).
      10-31-2011, 04:56 PM   #5
ben@tirerack
M3Post Supporting Vendor

You can probably make it. Sometimes the sealant from the mobility kit may foul the TPMS sensor, so I might try inflating it to max allowable psi (stamped on tire) and driving carefully. See how far you get. If you can make it all the way, or with just a stop or two, it may be worth it. If it is going flat too fast, you can use the sealant, or give up and call for a tow.

If you do lose a sensor to the sealant, it's $50-60, not the end of the world.

If you have a friend who can follow you and keep an eye on it, that might also help.

If you have BMW roadside assistance, you could always use that to get a free tow.

If the angle of the nail seems to pose a risk of gouging the wheel as the tire flexes, get it towed.

To credit the forum, click through one of the banners in my signature and the top of the page, or call me direct at 877.522.8473 ext 660.
      11-01-2011, 01:51 PM   #6
snowmants
Captain

Drives: '97 S14, '08 E90 M3, '11JeepGC

Garage List
2008 BMW E90 M3  [5.00]
my same rear right tire got a nail in it last week too. The PS2s are at their end anyway and it was time for snow tires, so it was a good excuse to go ahead and get a set. Should arrive from the tirerack today!

"In the NASA 2012 rules just released, double clutch transmissions are officially +6 points."
snowmants is offline   United_States
      11-01-2011, 02:38 PM   #7
jjw2331
First Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben@tirerack View Post
You can probably make it. Sometimes the sealant from the mobility kit may foul the TPMS sensor, so I might try inflating it to max allowable psi (stamped on tire) and driving carefully. See how far you get. If you can make it all the way, or with just a stop or two, it may be worth it. If it is going flat too fast, you can use the sealant, or give up and call for a tow.

If you do lose a sensor to the sealant, it's $50-60, not the end of the world.

If you have a friend who can follow you and keep an eye on it, that might also help.

If you have BMW roadside assistance, you could always use that to get a free tow.

If the angle of the nail seems to pose a risk of gouging the wheel as the tire flexes, get it towed.
The tire stay inflated for a good 20 minutes(above 30 psi)minutes so I went ahead and drove it to the tire shop and got the tire replaced. I decided not to use the sealant, which by what you told me, may have been a good idea. The TPMS let me know if the tire was still inflated before I got to the shop. Thanks for your help Ben! I really appreciate it. Will be buying my set of Michelin PSS's next spring from you guys. The people at my dealership could care less about my tires.
      11-01-2011, 02:50 PM   #8
ben@tirerack
M3Post Supporting Vendor

Glad to hear that it went OK. Sounds like you got it handled with minimal fuss. Let me know in the spring when you need the PSS