BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques
 
Steve Thomas BMW
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-20-2011, 09:25 AM   #1
Gearhead999s
Major General
 
Gearhead999s's Avatar
 
Drives: F25 2.8d(wifes)F82 M4
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Toronto

Posts: 6,777
iTrader: (0)

Video from Last Weekend

A video from my final session at Calabogie Motorsport Park in Eastern Ontario last Sunday.I love this track and it was designed by Alan Wilson who also designed Barber.Ignore the 1st 4 minutes as I only waiting to go out.The telemetry was reversed and the GPS signal kept fading in and out.





http://www.calabogiemotorsports.com/
Gearhead999s is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-21-2011, 03:50 PM   #2
paradocs98
Major
 
paradocs98's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 991 Carrera S
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NY

Posts: 1,344
iTrader: (0)

Thanks for posting. Nice job staying on and eventually passing the GT3. Who is that in your avatar photo?...
paradocs98 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-21-2011, 04:05 PM   #3
Gearhead999s
Major General
 
Gearhead999s's Avatar
 
Drives: F25 2.8d(wifes)F82 M4
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Toronto

Posts: 6,777
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradocs98 View Post
Thanks for posting. Nice job staying on and eventually passing the GT3. Who is that in your avatar photo?...
Somebody that I lusted after at the Detroit Auto Show media day this year.

Gearhead999s is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-21-2011, 04:12 PM   #4
Radiation Joe
Veni Vidi Vici
 
Radiation Joe's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 JB/BBe-6sp-e90
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Macungie PA

Posts: 2,749
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 e90 M3-Sold  [4.25]
2003 RS6 - Sold  [0.00]
2009 e90 M3 - Gone  [0.00]
2003 M3 SOLD  [0.00]
old 2002  [5.00]
Nice driving. Was Fabio Pirelli (black e46 M3) there? He's got my old M3. I'm dying to have that car back.
__________________

Dinan compliment of stuff plus PF rotors and RG63s. Enough for now.
Why, yes. I am an abrasive bastard.
Radiation Joe is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-21-2011, 04:20 PM   #5
Gearhead999s
Major General
 
Gearhead999s's Avatar
 
Drives: F25 2.8d(wifes)F82 M4
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Toronto

Posts: 6,777
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiation Joe View Post
Nice driving. Was Fabio Pirelli (black e46 M3) there? He's got my old M3. I'm dying to have that car back.
The only E46 M3 that was there was a guy from Toronto who works next door as an IT guy.I do not think that was his name.
Gearhead999s is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-21-2011, 06:15 PM   #6
Gearhead999s
Major General
 
Gearhead999s's Avatar
 
Drives: F25 2.8d(wifes)F82 M4
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Toronto

Posts: 6,777
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead999s View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiation Joe View Post
Nice driving. Was Fabio Pirelli (black e46 M3) there? He's got my old M3. I'm dying to have that car back.
The only E46 M3 that was there was a guy from Toronto who works next door as an IT guy.I do not think that was his name.
Joe did your old car have Stoptechs & Coilovers and yes it was Black?

Last edited by Gearhead999s; 10-21-2011 at 06:21 PM.
Gearhead999s is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-21-2011, 06:59 PM   #7
sawzall
Major
 
sawzall's Avatar
 
Drives: A Car
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Toronto

Posts: 1,277
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2012 911S  [5.00]
2011 911 GT3 RS  [0.00]
Here's another video from our Calabogie weekend. This video was shot from MikeM3's car while we were playing a bit of cat and mouse (i'm the AW M3). It's the first time on the track for both of us, so you'll see us taking very different lines than Gearhead999s particularly through turn 8.

These videos don't do justice to the track. Easily my favourite track, its both technical and fast at the same time. It's really the perfect place to find out everything our cars can do.

sawzall is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      10-21-2011, 09:28 PM   #8
Gearhead999s
Major General
 
Gearhead999s's Avatar
 
Drives: F25 2.8d(wifes)F82 M4
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Toronto

Posts: 6,777
iTrader: (0)

Nice late braking move on Mike at the 17 minute mark
Gearhead999s is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-22-2011, 08:42 AM   #9
sawzall
Major
 
sawzall's Avatar
 
Drives: A Car
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Toronto

Posts: 1,277
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2012 911S  [5.00]
2011 911 GT3 RS  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead999s View Post
Nice late braking move on Mike at the 17 minute mark
Ha, ha! I knew I shouldn't have accepted the pass just as I pulled up to MikeM3, it was way too late, and I didn't brake enough. That being said, its a testament to the car I didn't end up in a barrier. The car is so easy to handle, and so neutral that even one wheel off at over 120kph is pretty easy to reign in.

You would not have wanted to smell my car at that very moment.

Last edited by sawzall; 10-22-2011 at 11:35 AM.
sawzall is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      10-22-2011, 10:56 AM   #10
Radiation Joe
Veni Vidi Vici
 
Radiation Joe's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 JB/BBe-6sp-e90
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Macungie PA

Posts: 2,749
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 e90 M3-Sold  [4.25]
2003 RS6 - Sold  [0.00]
2009 e90 M3 - Gone  [0.00]
2003 M3 SOLD  [0.00]
old 2002  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead999s View Post
Joe did your old car have Stoptechs & Coilovers and yes it was Black?
It had a Ground-Control coil-over setup with a lot of other mods. I used stock calipers with bronze bushings, PF rotors and PF pads. It was pretty identifiable with the Imola red interior.

__________________

Dinan compliment of stuff plus PF rotors and RG63s. Enough for now.
Why, yes. I am an abrasive bastard.
Radiation Joe is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-22-2011, 06:57 PM   #11
klammer
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 11 spc gry m3 e90, 07 X5
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: chicago

Posts: 3,240
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shizzle View Post
Ha, ha! I knew I shouldn't have accepted the pass just as I pulled up to MikeM3, it was way too late, and I didn't brake enough. That being said, its a testament to the car I didn't end up in a barrier. The car is so easy to handle, and so neutral that even one wheel off at over 120kph is pretty easy to reign in.

You would not have wanted to smell my car at that very moment.
so, you rocking the new brakes yet?? BTW, some real nice videos, looked like a blast.
__________________
mods: akra evo, dinan 3.45 diff, ess akra tune, dinan stg.3, Alcon bbk, HRE P40

Last edited by klammer; 10-23-2011 at 09:59 AM.
klammer is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-22-2011, 09:14 PM   #12
Gearhead999s
Major General
 
Gearhead999s's Avatar
 
Drives: F25 2.8d(wifes)F82 M4
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Toronto

Posts: 6,777
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiation Joe View Post
It had a Ground-Control coil-over setup with a lot of other mods. I used stock calipers with bronze bushings, PF rotors and PF pads. It was pretty identifiable with the Imola red interior.

I am pretty sure it was not your old car.
Gearhead999s is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-23-2011, 12:36 PM   #13
sawzall
Major
 
sawzall's Avatar
 
Drives: A Car
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Toronto

Posts: 1,277
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2012 911S  [5.00]
2011 911 GT3 RS  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by klammer View Post
so, you rocking the new brakes yet?? BTW, some real nice videos, looked like a blast.
Yup, this was my first full day out with the Alcons. We were running 30 minute sessions, and the brakes were never a problem, they never faded at all. I was consistently braking from over 200kph down to around 120kph, and I found many times I was just braking too early. I've never been to Calabogie before, so it took a long time before I was confident enough to push it. We've got one last track day coming up in November at my 'home' track, and I think that'll give me a real good feel for the brakes. It's also a course that's pretty hard on the brakes, so it'll be interesting to see if I can drop my times.
sawzall is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      10-23-2011, 12:42 PM   #14
klammer
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 11 spc gry m3 e90, 07 X5
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: chicago

Posts: 3,240
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shizzle View Post
Yup, this was my first full day out with the Alcons. We were running 30 minute sessions, and the brakes were never a problem, they never faded at all. I was consistently braking from over 200kph down to around 120kph, and I found many times I was just braking too early. I've never been to Calabogie before, so it took a long time before I was confident enough to push it. We've got one last track day coming up in November at my 'home' track, and I think that'll give me a real good feel for the brakes. It's also a course that's pretty hard on the brakes, so it'll be interesting to see if I can drop my times.
I too had to recalibrate my braking points. I'm amazed on how much I gain in the braking zones on people, enjoy, they've made me much faster
__________________
mods: akra evo, dinan 3.45 diff, ess akra tune, dinan stg.3, Alcon bbk, HRE P40
klammer is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-27-2011, 08:17 AM   #15
lucid
Major General
 
lucid's Avatar
 
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 8,034
iTrader: (0)

Too bad I couldn't make it Duncan. Got tangled up at work and still sorting out the car. Looks like you guys had a good time. Maybe I'll come up next summer...
__________________
lucid is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-27-2011, 08:33 AM   #16
Gearhead999s
Major General
 
Gearhead999s's Avatar
 
Drives: F25 2.8d(wifes)F82 M4
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Toronto

Posts: 6,777
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
Too bad I couldn't make it Duncan. Got tangled up at work and still sorting out the car. Looks like you guys had a good time. Maybe I'll come up next summer...
There will be more than 1 trip up there next year for sure!There are some private days that one of the partners holds so we well aim for these days.It would be great to have you up.
Gearhead999s is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-28-2011, 11:08 AM   #17
M3 Montreal
Colonel
 
Drives: 2012 M3 SG ,DCT & 2011 S4
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Montreal , Canada

Posts: 2,176
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead999s View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradocs98 View Post
Thanks for posting. Nice job staying on and eventually passing the GT3. Who is that in your avatar photo?...
Somebody that I lusted after at the Detroit Auto Show media day this year.

Better not let your wife see your avatar... Lol
__________________
2012 E92-M3 Space Grey on Fox Red, DCT

2011 B8 S4 S-Tronic , Black on magma red
M3 Montreal is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-28-2011, 11:40 AM   #18
1MOREMOD
2014 Track Days - 11|Ridge 1:52:24|Pacific 1:35:72
 
1MOREMOD's Avatar
 
Drives: Race car->
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: check your mirrors

Posts: 12,421
iTrader: (5)

good job with the gt3. looks like he had some poor lines and you did a good job of not following. he wasnt using the whole track and wasnt hitting any apex or exits.
__________________

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
1MOREMOD is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-28-2011, 02:06 PM   #19
Gearhead999s
Major General
 
Gearhead999s's Avatar
 
Drives: F25 2.8d(wifes)F82 M4
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Toronto

Posts: 6,777
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Montreal View Post
Better not let your wife see your avatar... Lol
She has and just walked away and shook her head.After 26 years being married she has many other reasons to be upset with me
Gearhead999s is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-28-2011, 02:22 PM   #20
klammer
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 11 spc gry m3 e90, 07 X5
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: chicago

Posts: 3,240
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead999s View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Montreal View Post
Better not let your wife see your avatar... Lol
She has and just walked away and shook her head.After 26 years being married she has many other reasons to be upset with me
lol:
__________________
mods: akra evo, dinan 3.45 diff, ess akra tune, dinan stg.3, Alcon bbk, HRE P40
klammer is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:12 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST