BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis
 
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-18-2011, 07:19 PM   #1
onesixeight
Lieutenant
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Seattle, WA

Posts: 408
iTrader: (0)

Help choosing a BBK...

Hi Guys...

I'm looking to purchase a BBK but wanted to get a feedback on feel and initial bite. I've spent the last week searching the forums, but I thought a post with a clear question would better help answer my question.

I'm look at both the 365/345mm Brembo GT kit or the StopTech Trophy ST-6/ST-4.

I have been tracking my car at Pacific Raceway here in Seattle and my biggest issue is the spongy & grabby initial bite on the stock brakes. I did change my pads to StopTech, ST stainless lines & flush with Motul 600. It is better but still mushy and too "flabby" on initial application.

For those that have done BBKs on e92 M3, which do you think has a better bite and nice hard pedal feel.

My reference for nice feel are the brakes on my old 996TT or 996 GT3. I feel that those two cars had an awesome hard pedal and ability to modulate well.

Thanks in advance!
onesixeight is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-18-2011, 07:23 PM   #2
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
THE TECH's Avatar
 
Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Kansas

Posts: 13,104
iTrader: (45)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to THE TECH Send a message via Skype™ to THE TECH
I think both will be great. I think it comes down to brand preference and pocketbook.
__________________
THE TECH is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-18-2011, 07:33 PM   #3
onesixeight
Lieutenant
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Seattle, WA

Posts: 408
iTrader: (0)

I'm don't really have a preference for either brand. As for cost, the lowest quotes between the two, the Brembos are $500 more. So it's not a big difference.
onesixeight is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-18-2011, 08:35 PM   #4
ring007
Major
 
ring007's Avatar
 
Drives: '10 GT3RS & '13 Cayenne GTS
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: ///Iowa

Posts: 1,031
iTrader: (13)

I've had both Brembo and AP Racing kits on my E92. AP racing is a much better choice IMO for performance but their finish stinks. Both fronts discolored on my first track day. Brembos look pretty longer but replacement pads are harder to find (I know I didn't think that was possible, but check for yourself), pads are more expensive and rotors are OUTrageous! The monoblock design in the front makes pad changes a real pita. I was at Road America this weekend and could outbrake ANYTHING on the track with my APs. i would routinely pickup 3-4 car lengths on each corner.
ring007 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-18-2011, 08:43 PM   #5
elh0102
Captain
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: USA

Posts: 704
iTrader: (0)

Having owned a 996 GT3, if that is your threshhold for satisfaction, sell the M3 now, it ain't ever going to feel close to the GT3. I have the StopTech ST-60/ST-40 system, and it's very good. But in the GT3, the hydraulic system, steering, and light front end all contribute so much to the perceived feel of braking, the M3 simply cannot be modified to compare. I will say the ST system delivers a firm pedal that stays consistent throughout a 20 minute track session.
__________________
2011 Space Gray Coupe, DCT, ZCP, StopTech ST-60/ST-40 BBK.
elh0102 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-18-2011, 10:39 PM   #6
FrenchBoy
Major
 
FrenchBoy's Avatar
 
Drives: '09 E90 M3
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Seattle, WA

Posts: 1,376
iTrader: (0)

A big advantage of the Stoptech kit is its caliper design with a bridge that allows quick and easy pad replacement. The Brembo kit for our cars does not have a bridge and you need to remove the whole caliper to replace pads. That alone made the decision easy for me.

Plus, the consumables for the Stoptech are much cheaper.

Read my review of the Trophy kit on http://www.onehotlap.com/2011/09/bra...proach-to.html
__________________

2009 E90 M3 | SG | FR | 6Speed | Akrapovic Evo | JRZ RS1 | StopTech Trophy | Cantrell Brake Ducts
FrenchBoy is offline   France
0
Reply With Quote
      10-18-2011, 11:04 PM   #7
GewoW
#thatsanicemovebro
 
GewoW's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3 LSB/Black 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Montreal, Canada

Posts: 3,834
iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [4.67]
Send a message via Skype™ to GewoW
Cobalt XR1/XR2 +




=
__________________
GewoW is offline   Greece
0
Reply With Quote
      10-19-2011, 09:10 PM   #8
STALKER
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 2008 E90 M3
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Toronto, ON

Posts: 3,651
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ring007 View Post
I've had both Brembo and AP Racing kits on my E92. AP racing is a much better choice IMO for performance but their finish stinks. Both fronts discolored on my first track day. Brembos look pretty longer but replacement pads are harder to find (I know I didn't think that was possible, but check for yourself), pads are more expensive and rotors are OUTrageous! The monoblock design in the front makes pad changes a real pita. I was at Road America this weekend and could outbrake ANYTHING on the track with my APs. i would routinely pickup 3-4 car lengths on each corner.
My red AP Racing BBK has held up very well. Im guessing you have the black calipers then, no clear coat on them.
__________________

2008 AW/FR E90 M3-SOLD
2013 991 C4S-SOLD
2010 GT3
STALKER is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-19-2011, 09:20 PM   #9
aus
Major General
 
Drives: Odysse
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Seal Beach, CA

Posts: 7,346
iTrader: (5)

You sure you don't have some air in the brake system? A "spongy" pedal is pretty unusual.
As for the BBK's, the StopTech was around $2,000 less than the Brembo/AP's when I got my system. That's a lot of consumables.
__________________
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."

Last edited by aus; 10-20-2011 at 12:31 AM.
aus is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-19-2011, 11:35 PM   #10
HP Autosport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Santa Barbara, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, Quaife, Stoptech, Vorshlag

Posts: 11,261
iTrader: (29)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
You sure you don't have some air in the brake system? A "spongy" pedal is pretty unusual.
As for the BBK's, the StopTeck was around $2,000 less than the Brembo/AP's when I got my system. That's a lot of consumables.
At the retail level 365x32 brembo and 345x28 brembo vs 380x35 Stoptech 355x32 Stoptech, the brembo is nearly $2000 more. And that will get you a full set of Stoptech replacement rotors, pads and still have money left in your pocket for a nice dinner.
HP Autosport is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-20-2011, 08:34 AM   #11
ring007
Major
 
ring007's Avatar
 
Drives: '10 GT3RS & '13 Cayenne GTS
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: ///Iowa

Posts: 1,031
iTrader: (13)

Not black, but the competition grey. backs look great still. Fronts turned a yellowish green and the lettering turned from white to black
Oh well, they still work great

Quote:
Originally Posted by STALKER View Post
My red AP Racing BBK has held up very well. Im guessing you have the black calipers then, no clear coat on them.
ring007 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-20-2011, 04:16 PM   #12
EAS
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
EAS's Avatar
 
Drives: VF620 M3
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Anaheim, CA

Posts: 5,694
iTrader: (10)

Both Stoptech and Brembo kits are great quality, it really depends on what you prefer and what you're looking for in a brake kit. We've done installation on both kits and they have top notch quality.
__________________
european auto source (eas)
email: info@europeanautosource.com web: www.europeanautosource.com
tel 866.669.0705 | ca: 714.369.8524 | fax: 714.908.1796


Blog | Facebook | YouTube | Flickr | Twitter
EAS is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-20-2011, 04:43 PM   #13
HP Autosport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Santa Barbara, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, Quaife, Stoptech, Vorshlag

Posts: 11,261
iTrader: (29)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchBoy View Post
A big advantage of the Stoptech kit is its caliper design with a bridge that allows quick and easy pad replacement. The Brembo kit for our cars does not have a bridge and you need to remove the whole caliper to replace pads. That alone made the decision easy for me.

Plus, the consumables for the Stoptech are much cheaper.

Read my review of the Trophy kit on http://www.onehotlap.com/2011/09/bra...proach-to.html
This is definitely an advantage of the Stoptech kit. Pad changes are literally done in minutes. Removing the complete caliper to change pads isn't something you want to do over and over again. Before the Brembo used studs in their caliper mounts, threading a steel bolt into aluminum only results in stripping the threads or taking the threads out when removing them. We have gone through several caliper brackets because of it.

Brembo is still a good BBK,but just not for those looking to swap pads often.
HP Autosport is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-20-2011, 11:41 PM   #14
jml
Captain
 
jml's Avatar
 
Drives: E90M3
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Austin, TX

Posts: 984
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autowerks View Post
This is definitely an advantage of the Stoptech kit. Pad changes are literally done in minutes. Removing the complete caliper to change pads isn't something you want to do over and over again. Before the Brembo used studs in their caliper mounts, threading a steel bolt into aluminum only results in stripping the threads or taking the threads out when removing them. We have gone through several caliper brackets because of it.

Brembo is still a good BBK,but just not for those looking to swap pads often.
This man is making sense

Really tired of sales guys telling me this is not a problem for track rats. Those caliper brackets on brembos are as much as rotors. Studs are a smart fix, but still annoying to have to remove the caliper to change pads.
jml is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-26-2011, 09:28 PM   #15
HP Autosport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Santa Barbara, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, Quaife, Stoptech, Vorshlag

Posts: 11,261
iTrader: (29)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jml View Post
This man is making sense

Really tired of sales guys telling me this is not a problem for track rats. Those caliper brackets on brembos are as much as rotors. Studs are a smart fix, but still annoying to have to remove the caliper to change pads.
Brembo did make the studs on the caliper brackets an option some time later for the track junkies. On the other hand studs were standard on Stoptech kits years ago. It may be just the teething pain after going from the old cast 4 pistons to the new monobloc 6 pistons.

Changing pads on the Brembo kit at the track with hot brakes is just almost impossible with the existing setup. Still a very good looking street kit with excellent performance.
HP Autosport is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
bbk, brembo, stoptech

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:52 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST