BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

Strasse Wheels

10-21-2011, 01:00 PM   #67
bigmondy

Drives: 118i M Sport 3 Series Coupe

So very funny indeed.

She does appear to be a "nippy sweety" as we say in Scotland.

Heh heh!

I want her too!
      10-21-2011, 01:35 PM   #68
Ali@BMWMt.laurel
Colonel

Drives: 2015 M4

Garage List
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
"Open the pod bay doors"

"Beam me up Scotty"

"Open the weather you will"
We are an M-Certified and DINAN Certified Dealer
NJ Motorsports Park Affiliated!!! PM ME FOR DETAILS
Ali@BMWMt.laurel is offline   United_States
      10-21-2011, 02:23 PM   #69
Kolyan2k
Brigadier General

Drives: 2006 S2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamben158 View Post
Nah, I wouldn't do that:

Android = 328
iPhone = 335

sorry

WM7 = 328
iPhone = 335
Android = M3, Galaxy Nexus = M3 GTS
      10-21-2011, 02:28 PM   #70
Q4P
Colonel

Drives: Too Much

WM7 = 316i
Iphone / Android - 335i w/ tune
Nokia NMT - 900 - G Power M6 lol
      10-21-2011, 02:31 PM   #71
nick123
Private First Class

Drives: E90 335i

Hahaha. This is making me contimplate upgrading from my 4.
      10-21-2011, 03:35 PM   #72
andrewket
First Lieutenant

Drives: 2011 335is Convertible DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsbj View Post
Siri only works when connected to wifi. Otherwise, I believe you get that server busy answer.
Not true. Works on any/all networks.
2010 Honda Civic LX
      10-21-2011, 04:36 PM   #73
Ron1n
Speed Demon

Drives: '10 335d E90

Garage List
2010 335d  [5.00]
1. Android has nothing that compares to the functionality of Siri. Period.

2. Siri works as long as you have a data connection of any sort (Siri needs to connect to Apple's servers in order to work...this is why she wasn't working as well when the phone came out on the 14th...Apple's servers were overloaded and couldn't handle all of Siri's requests).

3. Having to root your Android to get the same functionality/OS upgrades is hardly functional. I'll be the first to admit that iOS still misses the mark on a lot of things for me, and I will be jailbreaking 5th iPhone when it's available.

4. The Nexus *seems* nice and all, but until it's released and there are relative comparisons, it's all just specs. Same with the Razr.

5. I'm honestly disappointed with the lack of some upgrades that I expected with this release (larger screen, more RAM), but the quickness over the 4 is just astounding. On the flip side, even with conditioning and cycling, battery life has me a bit on the flustered side. If not for my external battery case, I'd be screwed every day.

6. Tell Siri you want some weed.

7. I've had no problems with 6FL on my 4, and there have been no fundamental changes in the connection port of the phone, so the snap-in adapter should work, as well. My phone charges just fine, and plays music just like it used to.

8. Siri works on the 4, but it's not available to the general public yet. I'd also have some concern about Apple's servers noticing that iPhone 4's are connecting to the Siri network, and realizing they're likely jailbroken phones, and what they might do as a result.
      10-24-2011, 04:08 PM   #74
bigmondy

Drives: 118i M Sport 3 Series Coupe

Seems like a good and honest post Ron1n.

Appreciate it.
      10-24-2011, 04:14 PM   #75
Q4P
Colonel

Drives: Too Much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron1n View Post
1. Android has nothing that compares to the functionality of Siri. Period.

2. Siri works as long as you have a data connection of any sort (Siri needs to connect to Apple's servers in order to work...this is why she wasn't working as well when the phone came out on the 14th...Apple's servers were overloaded and couldn't handle all of Siri's requests).

3. Having to root your Android to get the same functionality/OS upgrades is hardly functional. I'll be the first to admit that iOS still misses the mark on a lot of things for me, and I will be jailbreaking 5th iPhone when it's available.

4. The Nexus *seems* nice and all, but until it's released and there are relative comparisons, it's all just specs. Same with the Razr.

5. I'm honestly disappointed with the lack of some upgrades that I expected with this release (larger screen, more RAM), but the quickness over the 4 is just astounding. On the flip side, even with conditioning and cycling, battery life has me a bit on the flustered side. If not for my external battery case, I'd be screwed every day.

6. Tell Siri you want some weed.

7. I've had no problems with 6FL on my 4, and there have been no fundamental changes in the connection port of the phone, so the snap-in adapter should work, as well. My phone charges just fine, and plays music just like it used to.

8. Siri works on the 4, but it's not available to the general public yet. I'd also have some concern about Apple's servers noticing that iPhone 4's are connecting to the Siri network, and realizing they're likely jailbroken phones, and what they might do as a result.
Functionality is one thing, real world usefulness is another.
      10-24-2011, 04:20 PM   #76
Gavin@MMW
Brigadier General

Drives: MMW Supercharged E90 328i

I want this just so I can play with Siri haha

But Id keep my Thunderbolt for everything else
Gavin@MMW is offline   United_States
      10-24-2011, 08:17 PM   #77
Nutballa
Captain

Drives: BMW 335i

Send a message via AIM to Nutballa Send a message via Yahoo to Nutballa
Awesome! Soon there will be iRobot xD

"Power is nothing without Control" - Pirelli.

Nutballa is offline   United_States
      10-24-2011, 08:38 PM   #78
Kylekuu
Captain

Drives: 08 328xi, 84 318i

so far i've been using siri to set my alarms, text while driving, and getting stock quotes
      10-24-2011, 11:15 PM   #79
M3Bahn
Lieutenant

Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Njprince0226 View Post
Lmao..people are so technology inclined..android has had something similar to this for a long time. Iphone just copied it and amplified it..pointless app
Totally wrong, SIRI got its start at DARPA.

Quote:
Siri, before you became the premiere feature of the new iPhone 4S, where did you come from?

Spencer, I started out as a gleam in the eye of Darpa, the Pentagon’s far-out research agency, as your Wired colleague Steven Levy tweeted. Darpa thought my artificial-intelligence algorithms for data collection and organization could help the military plan better. Would you like me to find you some references for that?

I would, Siri, thank you.

As it turns out, Siri — the voice-activated data assistant available on Apple’s iPhone upgrade — is a veteran. Nearly 10 years ago, Darpa funded a project known as PAL, for Personalized Assistant that Learns. It was an adaptive AI program for both data retrieval and data synthesis. (So not entirely like search, but not dissimilar, either.) If you told PAL what information you needed, and it observed what you did with that information, it would figure out a more efficient path to acquiring and sorting relevant information the next time around.

The project started out with a California company called SRI International. With a five-year, multimillion dollar grant from Darpa under the PAL program, SRI developed a system called CALO, for Cognitive Agent that Learns and Organizes. (Check out this handy chart of its architecture.) ”The goal of the project is to create cognitive software systems,” it explained, “that is, systems that can reason, learn from experience, be told what to do, explain what they are doing, reflect on their experience, and respond robustly to surprise.”

Put more simply, “The idea is to develop a system that will adapt to the user, instead of the other way around,” a PAL project partner told a fresh-faced Noah Shachtman way back in 2003. Technophobic New York Times columnist William Safire sputtered that Darpa was ushering in “a world light-years beyond the Matrix,” with dire implications for the person “that PAL’s user is looking at, listening to, sniffing or conspiring with to blow up the world?”

As Darpa tried to show in the corny instructional video above, PAL didn’t work the way Safire thought it did. In the video’s hypothetical scenario, the military is in the middle of a humanitarian aid mission when a terrorist group fires a rocket-propelled grenade at a cargo plane. PAL — then quaintly hosted on a desktop — anticipates an officer’s question. “These-are-the-additional-security-forces-in-theater-that-are-available,” a Vocodered voice from a computer tells the officer, like it was the Enterprise answering Captain Kirk, as icons pop up on a screen to illustrate the point.

An Air Force major, new to the fictional task force, gets up to speed on the aid mission by asking PAL for displays of the command plan. “These are my priorities,” he tells it, tapping the screen with his finger. (Darpa seems to have anticipated that by the time PAL was ready, everyone would have a touchscreen desktop monitor.) And just like that, the major has planned his day, telling PAL what briefings he plans to attend. “Here-are-the-materials-you-need-for-the-meeting,” PAL replied, as it collated them into a folder.

Perhaps PAL was geared to be more like a PDA than the Enterprise’s computer. (No bureaucratic headquarters task is too complicated for a super-algorithm!) Then again, once PAL is networked with other officers’ PALs, it becomes easy to spot the erratic behavior of a fictional ship, alerting the task force to a potential terrorist threat.

By 2008 — with the PAL project not bearing fruit — SRI didn’t want to miss out on the commercial opportunities of iPhone apps. So it spun off a company called Siri Incorporated to develop what became the first iteration of the Siri app — a so-called “do engine” that weaved user preferences with existing web functions to, say, let you know what time the nearest Iron Man showing started. (It wasn’t voice-activated.) Apple thought the Siri’s tech showed promise, so it paid a rumored $150 to $200 million for the company. On Tuesday, CEO Tim Cook finally explained what Apple had in mind.

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2011...-darpa-iphone/
      10-25-2011, 06:41 AM   #80
335coupe2007
Yezzsur. Big it up. Go Lakers.

Drives: 2007 Space Gray 335 coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Bahn View Post

AWESOME AWESOME article. THANK YOU!!!!!!
335coupe2007 is offline   United_States
      10-25-2011, 07:36 AM   #81
Comet
Troll Harder

Drives: 997 GT3, 997 4 GTS, X6M

Garage List
Siri only works in the US

I'm like "Siri, where am I?"
"I'm sorry, I can't provide maps and directions in Canada."
      10-25-2011, 07:46 AM   #82
bolinp78
G35 convertee

Drives: 2008 335i (AW)

Ask Siri "What is the meaning of life?"

I've gotten 4 different answers so far, and they are all funny.
      10-25-2011, 07:59 AM   #83
335coupe2007
Yezzsur. Big it up. Go Lakers.

Drives: 2007 Space Gray 335 coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolinp78 View Post
Ask Siri "What is the meaning of life?"

I've gotten 4 different answers so far, and they are all funny.
"i dont know but i think theres an app for that" lol
335coupe2007 is offline   United_States
      10-25-2011, 08:24 AM   #84
bolinp78
G35 convertee

Drives: 2008 335i (AW)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335coupe2007 View Post
"i dont know but i think theres an app for that" lol
"All evidence to date suggests it's chocolate."
      10-25-2011, 08:39 AM   #85
NYCGP
WTF are you looking at?

Drives: Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Bahn View Post

seriously great article... I have a BB and I have been strongly considering getting an Iphone4s just for this function.

I am writing emails all day long and setting appointments. I spend about 2-3 hours in my car and it makes it difficult to type while driving. Often times I will have back to back phone calls and end up forgetting to set an appointment that was made in the original phone call because I don't have time to type it in.

How are you guys using it? Or is it just a novelty at the moment?
      10-25-2011, 08:54 AM   #86
MidwestGolfBum
Knower of all Things Useless

Drives: Space Grey E92s

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCGP View Post
seriously great article... I have a BB and I have been strongly considering getting an Iphone4s just for this function.

I am writing emails all day long and setting appointments. I spend about 2-3 hours in my car and it makes it difficult to type while driving. Often times I will have back to back phone calls and end up forgetting to set an appointment that was made in the original phone call because I don't have time to type it in.

How are you guys using it? Or is it just a novelty at the moment?
I use it for exactly what you are describing. I "write" quick emails to people, reminders to do things when I get to home or office and set appointments after calls. Takes a bit to get used to exactly how you have to say some words, but after that learning curve, it's awesome!
MidwestGolfBum is offline   United_States
      10-25-2011, 09:55 AM   #87
nightkhan
Private Woodman

Drives: 328i, JB, Space Rocket

i love Siri

Current: E92 328i, Sports Package, 335i wheels, Power Seats, BMW Assist/Bluetooth, IPod/USB, heated seats, //M Short Shifter
Future Mods: 19" CSL's, KW V2, 15mm spacer, tints
nightkhan is offline   United_States
      10-25-2011, 10:35 AM   #88
Undertow
Private

Drives: 2011 E93

I have no idea how men with even normal size hands use an iphone with that tiny screen.