BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

EXXEL Distributions

10-18-2011, 07:19 PM   #1
onesixeight
Captain
Rep
Drives: F82 M4/i8

Help choosing a BBK...

Hi Guys...

I'm looking to purchase a BBK but wanted to get a feedback on feel and initial bite. I've spent the last week searching the forums, but I thought a post with a clear question would better help answer my question.

I'm look at both the 365/345mm Brembo GT kit or the StopTech Trophy ST-6/ST-4.

I have been tracking my car at Pacific Raceway here in Seattle and my biggest issue is the spongy & grabby initial bite on the stock brakes. I did change my pads to StopTech, ST stainless lines & flush with Motul 600. It is better but still mushy and too "flabby" on initial application.

For those that have done BBKs on e92 M3, which do you think has a better bite and nice hard pedal feel.

My reference for nice feel are the brakes on my old 996TT or 996 GT3. I feel that those two cars had an awesome hard pedal and ability to modulate well.

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2011, 07:23 PM   #2
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
I think both will be great. I think it comes down to brand preference and pocketbook.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2011, 07:33 PM   #3
onesixeight
Captain
Rep
Drives: F82 M4/i8

I'm don't really have a preference for either brand. As for cost, the lowest quotes between the two, the Brembos are $500 more. So it's not a big difference.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2011, 08:35 PM   #4
ring007
Major
Rep
Drives: GT3RS & Speciale No BMWs now

I've had both Brembo and AP Racing kits on my E92. AP racing is a much better choice IMO for performance but their finish stinks. Both fronts discolored on my first track day. Brembos look pretty longer but replacement pads are harder to find (I know I didn't think that was possible, but check for yourself), pads are more expensive and rotors are OUTrageous! The monoblock design in the front makes pad changes a real pita. I was at Road America this weekend and could outbrake ANYTHING on the track with my APs. i would routinely pickup 3-4 car lengths on each corner.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2011, 08:43 PM   #5
elh0102
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i coupe

Having owned a 996 GT3, if that is your threshhold for satisfaction, sell the M3 now, it ain't ever going to feel close to the GT3. I have the StopTech ST-60/ST-40 system, and it's very good. But in the GT3, the hydraulic system, steering, and light front end all contribute so much to the perceived feel of braking, the M3 simply cannot be modified to compare. I will say the ST system delivers a firm pedal that stays consistent throughout a 20 minute track session.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2011, 10:39 PM   #6
FrenchBoy
Lieutenant Colonel
France
Rep
Drives: '16 F80 M3

A big advantage of the Stoptech kit is its caliper design with a bridge that allows quick and easy pad replacement. The Brembo kit for our cars does not have a bridge and you need to remove the whole caliper to replace pads. That alone made the decision easy for me.

Plus, the consumables for the Stoptech are much cheaper.

Read my review of the Trophy kit on http://www.onehotlap.com/2011/09/bra...proach-to.html

Current: 2016 F80 M3 6-Speed | SO | AB XT1 | ZCP | M Performance Suspension | GC Camber Plates
Previous: 2009 E90 M3
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2011, 11:04 PM   #7
GewoW
#thatsanicemovebro
Greece
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 LSB/Black 6MT

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [9.34]
Cobalt XR1/XR2 +

=
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 09:10 PM   #8
STALKER
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3, Golf R

Quote:
Originally Posted by ring007 View Post
I've had both Brembo and AP Racing kits on my E92. AP racing is a much better choice IMO for performance but their finish stinks. Both fronts discolored on my first track day. Brembos look pretty longer but replacement pads are harder to find (I know I didn't think that was possible, but check for yourself), pads are more expensive and rotors are OUTrageous! The monoblock design in the front makes pad changes a real pita. I was at Road America this weekend and could outbrake ANYTHING on the track with my APs. i would routinely pickup 3-4 car lengths on each corner.
My red AP Racing BBK has held up very well. Im guessing you have the black calipers then, no clear coat on them.
      10-19-2011, 09:20 PM   #9
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

You sure you don't have some air in the brake system? A "spongy" pedal is pretty unusual.
As for the BBK's, the StopTech was around $2,000 less than the Brembo/AP's when I got my system. That's a lot of consumables.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."

Last edited by aus; 10-20-2011 at 12:31 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 11:35 PM   #10
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
You sure you don't have some air in the brake system? A "spongy" pedal is pretty unusual.
As for the BBK's, the StopTeck was around $2,000 less than the Brembo/AP's when I got my system. That's a lot of consumables.
At the retail level 365x32 brembo and 345x28 brembo vs 380x35 Stoptech 355x32 Stoptech, the brembo is nearly $2000 more. And that will get you a full set of Stoptech replacement rotors, pads and still have money left in your pocket for a nice dinner.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 08:34 AM   #11
ring007
Major
Rep
Drives: GT3RS & Speciale No BMWs now

Not black, but the competition grey. backs look great still. Fronts turned a yellowish green and the lettering turned from white to black
Oh well, they still work great

Quote:
Originally Posted by STALKER View Post
My red AP Racing BBK has held up very well. Im guessing you have the black calipers then, no clear coat on them.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 04:16 PM   #12
EAS
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: VF620 M3

Both Stoptech and Brembo kits are great quality, it really depends on what you prefer and what you're looking for in a brake kit. We've done installation on both kits and they have top notch quality.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 04:43 PM   #13
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchBoy View Post
A big advantage of the Stoptech kit is its caliper design with a bridge that allows quick and easy pad replacement. The Brembo kit for our cars does not have a bridge and you need to remove the whole caliper to replace pads. That alone made the decision easy for me.

Plus, the consumables for the Stoptech are much cheaper.

Read my review of the Trophy kit on http://www.onehotlap.com/2011/09/bra...proach-to.html
This is definitely an advantage of the Stoptech kit. Pad changes are literally done in minutes. Removing the complete caliper to change pads isn't something you want to do over and over again. Before the Brembo used studs in their caliper mounts, threading a steel bolt into aluminum only results in stripping the threads or taking the threads out when removing them. We have gone through several caliper brackets because of it.

Brembo is still a good BBK,but just not for those looking to swap pads often.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 11:41 PM   #14
jml
Major
Rep
Drives: X5M, GT3RS, GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autowerks View Post
This is definitely an advantage of the Stoptech kit. Pad changes are literally done in minutes. Removing the complete caliper to change pads isn't something you want to do over and over again. Before the Brembo used studs in their caliper mounts, threading a steel bolt into aluminum only results in stripping the threads or taking the threads out when removing them. We have gone through several caliper brackets because of it.

Brembo is still a good BBK,but just not for those looking to swap pads often.
This man is making sense

Really tired of sales guys telling me this is not a problem for track rats. Those caliper brackets on brembos are as much as rotors. Studs are a smart fix, but still annoying to have to remove the caliper to change pads.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2011, 09:28 PM   #15
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jml View Post
This man is making sense

Really tired of sales guys telling me this is not a problem for track rats. Those caliper brackets on brembos are as much as rotors. Studs are a smart fix, but still annoying to have to remove the caliper to change pads.
Brembo did make the studs on the caliper brackets an option some time later for the track junkies. On the other hand studs were standard on Stoptech kits years ago. It may be just the teething pain after going from the old cast 4 pistons to the new monobloc 6 pistons.

Changing pads on the Brembo kit at the track with hot brakes is just almost impossible with the existing setup. Still a very good looking street kit with excellent performance.
Appreciate 0