BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-30-2011, 01:54 PM   #309
884487
New Member
 
Drives: TBD
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Canada

Posts: 29
iTrader: (0)

gobrigavitch, have you read up on tirerack.com about the difference between Studless winter and Performance witner tires? Also Car and driver had a good article on witner tires http://www.caranddriver.com/features...mparison_tests

I debated Studless (Nokian Hakka R or Michelin X-ice) vs Perf winter (Blizzack LM-60) and decided to go with the LM-60s. My reasons, I am pretty confident in the snow and ice (Ice raced for years, drive with stability control off in winter) and would rather give up some snow/ice performance for crisper handling in the dry. For a perf winter, the LM60 leans more to snow/ice traction, less dry traction then the other perf winter tires.
884487 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-30-2011, 02:08 PM   #310
cheekoman
New Member
 
Drives: 2008 E90 M3
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Burlington, VT

Posts: 7
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 884487 View Post
gobrigavitch, have you read up on tirerack.com about the difference between Studless winter and Performance witner tires? Also Car and driver had a good article on witner tires http://www.caranddriver.com/features...mparison_tests

I debated Studless (Nokian Hakka R or Michelin X-ice) vs Perf winter (Blizzack LM-60) and decided to go with the LM-60s. My reasons, I am pretty confident in the snow and ice (Ice raced for years, drive with stability control off in winter) and would rather give up some snow/ice performance for crisper handling in the dry. For a perf winter, the LM60 leans more to snow/ice traction, less dry traction then the other perf winter tires.
Thanks 8.... I'll check those out. Thanks for sending the link along... It was a good read.
CM
cheekoman is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-30-2011, 04:51 PM   #311
gobrigavitch
Private First Class
 
Drives: '09 E90 M3 JZB
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Prince Albert, SK

Posts: 198
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 884487 View Post
I debated Studless (Nokian Hakka R or Michelin X-ice) vs Perf winter (Blizzack LM-60) and decided to go with the LM-60s. My reasons, I am pretty confident in the snow and ice (Ice raced for years, drive with stability control off in winter) and would rather give up some snow/ice performance for crisper handling in the dry. For a perf winter, the LM60 leans more to snow/ice traction, less dry traction then the other perf winter tires.
Where abouts in Canada do you live? Are the cleared roads mostly dry or icy? I'm thinking about going with the Hakkapalitas because here in Prince Albert we have alot of roads that don't get cleared well for weeks at a time. Some of the main roads get cleared within 2 days of a snowfall, but even then they can have ice at the intersections for weeks at a time. If we get a cold snap where the temp sticks below -20C for a week or two the roads get really slick as even the salt doesn't work. The residential roads only get cleared once or twice a year so they have packed snow and/or ice for the majority of winter. That's why I'm thinking that a really good snow/ice tire may be better for me than a performance winter. I'm not fully decided though.

The Hakkapalita's come in 245/40-18 or 255/45-18. The 245 will be about 2/3 of an inch too small and the 255 will be about 2/3 of an inch too big. If the 255 will fit I'm thinking more sidewall is likely better for extra clearance, but I've heard the M3 doesn't tolerate the extra height well so that's why I wouldn't to get other's opinions.
gobrigavitch is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-16-2011, 10:28 PM   #312
Zzhou
Lieutenant
 
Zzhou's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 E92 SSII ZCP DCT
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: West Lafayette,IN/Shanghai,China

Posts: 525
iTrader: (0)

I found out that there are two different price for Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D 235/40R18, one is 212 each, and the other is 242 each, what difference between these two tires?
Zzhou is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-22-2011, 12:00 PM   #313
abehwang
Captain
 
Drives: e90 m3
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: US

Posts: 478
iTrader: (0)

Say I get the Sport Edition A7 18x8 all around with a 235/40/18 winter setup
Will it rub if I have 18mm front/15mm rear spacers?
I don't want to take the spacers on and off each year
abehwang is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-23-2011, 03:17 PM   #314
sandwood
Private First Class
 
sandwood's Avatar
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Wash DC

Posts: 130
iTrader: (3)

If anyone is interested, I'm shortly going to list a set of Sport Edition A7s with Michelin Pilot Alpin 235/40, 255/40 for sale. Rears have at least one winter left, fronts have lots of tread. I'll list them in the next week or so.
sandwood is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-23-2011, 04:18 PM   #315
abehwang
Captain
 
Drives: e90 m3
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: US

Posts: 478
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandwood View Post
If anyone is interested, I'm shortly going to list a set of Sport Edition A7s with Michelin Pilot Alpin 235/40, 255/40 for sale. Rears have at least one winter left, fronts have lots of tread. I'll list them in the next week or so.
PMed
dibs
abehwang is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-01-2011, 03:11 PM   #316
nmehta211
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 08 E90 M3
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: NYC

Posts: 273
iTrader: (1)

Any particular reason why no one is selecting the Pirelli Scorpio setup in the exact sizes of the stock 18" setup? I need tires just for occasional snow and ice, but otherwise the car is garaged most of the week. A little too much snow for the all-season setup, but don't need the square setup.

Was thinking Pirelli in 245/40-18, and Pirelli 265/40-18.
__________________

08 E90 M3 Interlagos Blue
99 E36 M3 Cosmos, #2--Sold
99 E36 M3 Cosmos, #1--Sold
nmehta211 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-01-2011, 04:42 PM   #317
k5ng
Second Lieutenant
 
k5ng's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 E93 M3 Silverstone/DCT
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: North Jersey

Posts: 291
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhouzitao View Post
I found out that there are two different price for Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D 235/40R18, one is 212 each, and the other is 242 each, what difference between these two tires?
I also saw that while shopping for my set. Called Tirerack and was told that there is no difference. The $242 was made specific for a Mercedes. Why would anyone pay $30 more even if they had a Merc, I don't know. Ordered my staggered set with Ben at Tirerack and now ready for my E93's first NE winter.
__________________

2008 E92 335xi Sparkling Graphite/Coral Red (gone)
2011 E93 M3 6MT JZB/Ext Bamboo (gone)
2013 E93 M3 DCT SSII/Palladium,Blk,Blk
k5ng is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-02-2011, 12:17 AM   #318
Zzhou
Lieutenant
 
Zzhou's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 E92 SSII ZCP DCT
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: West Lafayette,IN/Shanghai,China

Posts: 525
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by k5ng View Post
I also saw that while shopping for my set. Called Tirerack and was told that there is no difference. The $242 was made specific for a Mercedes. Why would anyone pay $30 more even if they had a Merc, I don't know. Ordered my staggered set with Ben at Tirerack and now ready for my E93's first NE winter.
I been told by Ben the same thing. I ordered 235 front, 255 rear Dunlop 3D with A7, Scheduled Delivery: Oct 3. will but on my MY12 E92 for the first IN winter~
Zzhou is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-03-2011, 02:51 AM   #319
GrussGott
Lieutenant
 
GrussGott's Avatar
 
Drives: Jerez Black e93 M3
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: SF Bay Area

Posts: 540
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 E93 M3  [0.00]
245/40-18 square work?

Hi guys,

Sorry, read the thread and am still confused. Will 245/40-18 square work on
The stock staggered 18s?

Or how about 245/40 up front with 245/45 rear? I'm in MN so I need real winter traction for snow and ice.

I'm hoping to stick with nokian wrg2 although if Ben has a good deal on equal or better tires ...

Thanks!

Last edited by GrussGott; 10-03-2011 at 03:10 AM. Reason: Add
GrussGott is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-03-2011, 10:40 AM   #320
Vudoo4u2
Night Sh1ft
 
Vudoo4u2's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: It's bobsled time

Posts: 2,797
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.00]
Send a message via AIM to Vudoo4u2
Ordered blizzak lm-60 in 255/35/19 and 275/35/19 for the zcp wheels

15/12 spacers...

Thanks Ben!!

Let the snow plowing begin
__________________
Canon 14 F2.8 L II : Canon 50 F1.2 L : Canon 24-70 F2.8 L : Canon 70-200 F2.8 IS/L : Canon 5D Mark II : B+W Filters : Photo Whore
Vudoo4u2 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-06-2011, 03:02 PM   #321
silverstar44
New Member
 
Drives: 2008 M3cab alpine white
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: markham

Posts: 9
iTrader: (0)

winter pkg tires/rims for BMW M3 FOR SALE

1 set of winter tires + rims for BMW M3, 99.9% new, like new no scratch on rims or tires, only been used for 60km.
BRIDGESTONE Blizzak MZ-03 RFT 245/40 R18 93Q runflat
Scarborough, ON
416-816-7144
silverstar44 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-07-2011, 09:47 AM   #322
ben@tirerack
M3Post Supporting Vendor
 
Drives: 740i
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: South Bend, IN

Posts: 823
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vudoo4u2 View Post
Ordered blizzak lm-60 in 255/35/19 and 275/35/19 for the zcp wheels

15/12 spacers...

Thanks Ben!!

Let the snow plowing begin
Thank you, and enjoy playing in the snow
__________________
_______________________________________________



To credit the forum, click through one of the banners in my signature and the top of the page, or call me direct at 877.522.8473 ext 660.
Email:ben@tirerack.com
ben@tirerack is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-07-2011, 12:36 PM   #323
aka_phox
Captain
 
aka_phox's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 M3 Convertilble
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Italy

Posts: 607
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben@tirerack View Post
Thank you, and enjoy playing in the snow
Ben,
Do you have in stock the Blizzak LM-60 staggered? I have the stock OEM 19s.... or what would you recommend being that where I live, we do not get much snow (maybe 2 inches all winter). We mostly get cold dry days and night and sometimes rain and freezing temps. But I do travel on the highway during these conditions as well with added "light snow fall". Any suggestions? or would I even need a "winter tire"? may "all seasons"?
__________________

'11.5 SG E93/6MT/ALL BOXES CHECKED
BLACK GRILL/BLACK SIDE GILLS/15% TINT/PAINTED REFLECTORS/SPACERS/ANGEL iBRIGHTS/20'' VOSSEN CV3/VINYL WRAPPED SHADOW LINE TRIM/ETS-POWER TUNE/
///M-FLIGHT MEMBER

Last edited by aka_phox; 10-07-2011 at 02:27 PM.
aka_phox is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-08-2011, 02:01 PM   #324
E92_SID
Brigadier General
 
E92_SID's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011.5 MR/BB E92 M3
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Denver, CO. USA

Posts: 3,004
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben@tirerack View Post
Thank you, and enjoy playing in the snow
I need winters for my OEM 220m 19s ASAP! Can you PM me a price and best fitment shipped to 80015?
__________________
2011/E92/M3/MR/BB/ZCV/ZP2/EDC/2MT
E92_SID is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-10-2011, 01:44 PM   #325
ben@tirerack
M3Post Supporting Vendor
 
Drives: 740i
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: South Bend, IN

Posts: 823
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92_SID View Post
I need winters for my OEM 220m 19s ASAP! Can you PM me a price and best fitment shipped to 80015?
Blizzak LM60 255/35R19 F and 275/35R19 R are what most are doing for OEM 19" wheels in winter.

Click this link for current price and availability:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSe...&affiliate=AW8

When viewing the tires, you will have a spot to click "Shipping quote" and enter your ZIP code.

Sorry for this somewhat general answer, but I wanted to post it so it would help future viewers.
__________________
_______________________________________________



To credit the forum, click through one of the banners in my signature and the top of the page, or call me direct at 877.522.8473 ext 660.
Email:ben@tirerack.com
ben@tirerack is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-10-2011, 01:49 PM   #326
ben@tirerack
M3Post Supporting Vendor
 
Drives: 740i
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: South Bend, IN

Posts: 823
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka_phox View Post
Ben,
Do you have in stock the Blizzak LM-60 staggered? I have the stock OEM 19s.... or what would you recommend being that where I live, we do not get much snow (maybe 2 inches all winter). We mostly get cold dry days and night and sometimes rain and freezing temps. But I do travel on the highway during these conditions as well with added "light snow fall". Any suggestions? or would I even need a "winter tire"? may "all seasons"?
LM 60s are the only staggered 19" snows currently available. 255 F 275R. I'll reuse the link I just posted a minute ago http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSe...&affiliate=AW8

Click the link and enter your ZIP for price and availability. They are in stock right now. $1246 + freight (and tax if applicable).

Sounds as though you could get away with an all season for your winter tire also given how little snow you have. The winter tires stay more pliable at cold temperatures, so they will usually have better grip in dry weather that is very cold compared to all seasons. So you may still find that the winters are worth it, but with that little snow you could drive safely on an all season.
__________________
_______________________________________________



To credit the forum, click through one of the banners in my signature and the top of the page, or call me direct at 877.522.8473 ext 660.
Email:ben@tirerack.com
ben@tirerack is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-10-2011, 09:23 PM   #327
Hoyt
Automotive Guru
 
Hoyt's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 M3
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: SE Michigan

Posts: 71
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [0.00]
Hey Ben - are there an low cost black or darker colored wheels this year? I'm looking for a new combo set, but would really like all black wheels.
__________________

Daily: 2010 E92 M3 | 6MT | LeMans Blue on Fox Red | 19" BBS FI with Custom IND Paint Job | Various IND Goodies | Various Performance Goodies
For Fun: 1988 E30 M3 | Zinnoberrot Red on Tan | Various Goodies
Hoyt is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-11-2011, 05:00 AM   #328
tiggers m3
Private First Class
 
tiggers m3's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 ///M3 Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Italia

Posts: 122
iTrader: (1)

Hi Ben

I'm in Italy and will shortly order an e92 with 18's. i want to take the summers off and put winters on the oem 18's what size and tire would you recommend? I'm thinking of the Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D.

Then I'll buy some V710's(probably) for summer and put the oem summers on those. And then be done. It fits the budget and the wife's approval.

Thanks,

Jeremy
tiggers m3 is offline   Italy
0
Reply With Quote
      10-11-2011, 02:59 PM   #329
ben@tirerack
M3Post Supporting Vendor
 
Drives: 740i
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: South Bend, IN

Posts: 823
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jank View Post
Hey Ben - are there an low cost black or darker colored wheels this year? I'm looking for a new combo set, but would really like all black wheels.
Timely question. New for this winter, the venerable Sport Edition A7 is now available in black. Currently $129 each just like the silver ones. 18x8 ET20 mounts with stock lugs, needs no special hardware, accepts TPMS and OE center caps.

__________________
_______________________________________________



To credit the forum, click through one of the banners in my signature and the top of the page, or call me direct at 877.522.8473 ext 660.
Email:ben@tirerack.com
ben@tirerack is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-11-2011, 03:51 PM   #330
Twinbo
First Lieutenant
 
Twinbo's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 F150 Platinum
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Calgary, AB

Posts: 330
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben@tirerack View Post
Timely question. New for this winter, the venerable Sport Edition A7 is now available in black. Currently $129 each just like the silver ones. 18x8 ET20 mounts with stock lugs, needs no special hardware, accepts TPMS and OE center caps.

Just ordered these.

Thanks for the help Ben!
Twinbo is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:10 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST