BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-14-2009, 10:34 AM   #1
ta152
New Member
United_States
4

 
Drives: 2009 M3
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Ohio


Posts: 19
iTrader: (0)

Anyone use their "fix-a-flat" kit yet?

I have heard that you are better off not using the flat kit - but call for service. The rumor says that using the kit may actually damage the tire ?? - and you'll have to replace the tire.

Any one have flat tire repairs/advice to share?
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2009, 10:57 AM   #2
elp_jc
Brigadier General
United_States
79

 
Drives: .
Join Date: May 2008
Location: .


Posts: 4,910
iTrader: (0)

I don't think the kit damages the tire, but I'm almost sure it damages the TPMS sensor. I carry a flat-tire repair kit to use as an alternative first.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2009, 11:08 AM   #3
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
United_States
136

 
Drives: 2015 M4 Coupe, 2012 ML350
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Lake Oswego, OR


Posts: 7,615
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
Slime 'n go

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
I don't think the kit damages the tire, but I'm almost sure it damages the TPMS sensor. I carry a flat-tire repair kit to use as an alternative first.
+1. In addition to a compact spare for trips, I carry a plug kit which can be used with the compressor portion of the MMobility kit. Tire can be cleaned out and used if it is not overly damaged, but it's a mess.
__________________

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2015 M4 Coupe - Silverstone/Sakhir/CF
2012 ML350
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2009, 05:27 PM   #4
John@BMW
I can't belive this car is a 4 door family sedan.
17

 
John@BMW's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 M3 sedan, '96 M3
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Atlanta


Posts: 385
iTrader: (1)

Ive used my kit to take up extra space in the garage!

I ended up taking it all out of the m3 since those things are a joke. I put a nice carpeted cover that comes from a regular e90 in its place. Now, when you lift up the trunk carpet, you will see more of the matching carpet underneath and not black plastic- I will get a picture one of these days...
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2009, 05:34 PM   #5
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
United_States
136

 
Drives: 2015 M4 Coupe, 2012 ML350
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Lake Oswego, OR


Posts: 7,615
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by John@BMW View Post
Ive used my kit to take up extra space in the garage!

I ended up taking it all out of the m3 since those things are a joke. I put a nice carpeted cover that comes from a regular e90 in its place. Now, when you lift up the trunk carpet, you will see more of the matching carpet underneath and not black plastic- I will get a picture one of these days...
It is handy to have a compressor, though, without the goop.
__________________

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2015 M4 Coupe - Silverstone/Sakhir/CF
2012 ML350
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2009, 05:43 PM   #6
endofanera7
Major General
No_Country
118

 
endofanera7's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 JB E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bay Area, CA


Posts: 5,183
iTrader: (15)

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [5.00]
Send a message via AIM to endofanera7 Send a message via MSN to endofanera7
I used it when I had a flat front tire. Didnt want to but I had no choice since I was in the middle of nowhere.

You will need a new tire if you use the gel bottle.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2009, 05:56 PM   #7
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
United_States
136

 
Drives: 2015 M4 Coupe, 2012 ML350
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Lake Oswego, OR


Posts: 7,615
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by endofanera7 View Post
You will need a new tire if you use the gel bottle.
Some have said they have had the tire cleaned out and patched after use.
__________________

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2015 M4 Coupe - Silverstone/Sakhir/CF
2012 ML350
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2009, 08:08 AM   #8
gasman mike
New Member
0

 
Drives: 2009 M3 Jerez black
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Cary NC


Posts: 6
iTrader: (0)

Anyone know if it's possible to replace the trunk plastic inset with one from a 330i and use the 330i donut spare and real tools/jack to replace the fix a flat POS kit in the M3? Then you could drive to a service station yourself rather than wait 2+ hours for BMW "assist" to send someone who may or may no be capable of towing your car without damaginig it in the process?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2009, 08:18 AM   #9
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
United_States
136

 
Drives: 2015 M4 Coupe, 2012 ML350
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Lake Oswego, OR


Posts: 7,615
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
Spare/jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman mike View Post
Anyone know if it's possible to replace the trunk plastic inset with one from a 330i and use the 330i donut spare and real tools/jack to replace the fix a flat POS kit in the M3? Then you could drive to a service station yourself rather than wait 2+ hours for BMW "assist" to send someone who may or may no be capable of towing your car without damaginig it in the process?
No, it will not fit due to the configuration of the bottom sheet metal to allow for the larger muffler. A 330i jack will still fit under the floor. The 330i 17" compact spare is too small in diameter and will not clear the front brake. See this thread for a better solution, albeit one that needs to be carried flat on the trunk floor: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...=compact+spare.
__________________

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2015 M4 Coupe - Silverstone/Sakhir/CF
2012 ML350
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2009, 10:16 AM   #10
AlpWtE92
First Lieutenant
United_States
6

 
AlpWtE92's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 AW E92 M3
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: SF / Bay Area


Posts: 319
iTrader: (0)

I've had to use it once when I got a flat up in some rural mountain roads and it worked well. Got me going in 20 minutes instead of waiting hours for roadside assistance to get to me. Tire was sealed and stayed inflated for at least a week before I took it to the shop, and probably would have stayed inflated even longer. I wouldn't have wanted to repair the tire in my case, so I didn't look into if it could be reparied afterwards.

I'm not sure why some people have such a negative reaction to it and even remove it. It doesn't weigh much or take up much space. It saved me once and I'd rather have it around in case I get a flat in the middle of nowhere or in the middle of the night when roadside assistance would take forever to get to me.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2009, 01:02 PM   #11
jk6672
First Lieutenant
United_States
11

 
jk6672's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E90 m3 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: El Centro, Ca


Posts: 332
iTrader: (2)

I keep a plug in compressor, which came in handy until I could plug the nail hole.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2009, 01:18 PM   #12
foosh
Major
United_States
13

 
foosh's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 M3 E93
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Annapolis, MD


Posts: 1,314
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post
No, it will not fit due to the configuration of the bottom sheet metal to allow for the larger muffler. A 330i jack will still fit under the floor. The 330i 17" compact spare is too small in diameter and will not clear the front brake. See this thread for a better solution, albeit one that needs to be carried flat on the trunk floor: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...=compact+spare.
And a great solution it is, Greg. That is unless you own an E93, and would like to put the top down.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2009, 06:25 PM   #13
Heat00
Major
United_States
19

 
Heat00's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E90 M3
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Weston, Florida


Posts: 1,027
iTrader: (0)

i plugged a tire yesterday with a regular plug kit and inflated with compressor. went to dealer today and got a brand new tire under road hazzard

it's amazing that on the bill that was sent to the tire insurance people, $514 for one tire, ouch!
__________________
08 - M3 Sparkling Graphite/blk leather/tech/6 speed
08 - 335i Sport/Prem/Auto White/Terra - AA Exhaust
07 Acura MDX Tech, 07 G35S /Nav

Appreciate 0
      10-02-2011, 09:45 AM   #14
Mr. ///M3 RD
Major General
Canada
146

 
Mr. ///M3 RD's Avatar
 
Drives: E350 & 280 SL on Weekends :)
Join Date: May 2010
Location: GTA, Ontario - Canada


Posts: 7,863
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ta152 View Post
I have heard that you are better off not using the flat kit - but call for service. The rumor says that using the kit may actually damage the tire ?? - and you'll have to replace the tire.

Any one have flat tire repairs/advice to share?
I used it often on my former e46 to bring the tire pressure up to the right setting. Never had to use it due to a flat tire. Never had any problems using it.

Now I have a small compressor with gauge set up in my garage to check tire pressure
__________________
Cheers, Rolf-Dieter

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2011, 12:08 PM   #15
mpbruin108
Mpbruin108
8

 
mpbruin108's Avatar
 
Drives: I'm a hypermiler
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: los angeles


Posts: 563
iTrader: (6)

if you used it once, does anyone know how much longer will it last? Is it a once and done deal? I used it once and it worked fine. My tire turned out to have only 5 psi left before I noticed it was really flat and once I reinflated it and got a new tire, my TPMS worked fine.
__________________
2015 M4 Mineral Grey with SO

2013 Tesla Model S, 2010 RR Phantom, 2014 S550, 2014 BMW X5, 2015 Cayenne S platinum edition
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2011, 09:11 AM   #16
Richbot
Colonel
27

 
Drives: Jerez Black E90
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: STL


Posts: 2,068
iTrader: (2)

I've used it on a slash in the tread from a flat piece of steel that was not fixable with a plug kit. It works.
__________________
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:05 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST