BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)
 
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-06-2007, 02:45 PM   #23
adamr
Major
 
adamr's Avatar
 
Drives: 997 GT3 RS
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Johannesburg

Posts: 1,032
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
pretty much the same thing here in South Africa ... dealers are clamping down on people buying these cars to make a profit ... but still on the new BMWs like the E92 and E93 they are sitting at dealer lots up for sale at huge mark-ups over the retail price ...

I do agree it wont be the same demand like with the E46 M3 ... the E92 M2 is expensive ...
__________________


2007 Porsche 997 GT3 RS
|PCM with NAV and GSM|Roll Cage|PCCB|Xenons|Sports Chrono Plus|PASM|Leather Pack|Silver Seat-belts|
adamr is offline   South Africa
0
Reply With Quote
      06-06-2007, 03:21 PM   #24
lucid
Major General
 
lucid's Avatar
 
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 8,034
iTrader: (0)

It doesn't matter what the asking price is. Just because the dealer is asking for a markup does not mean that it is actually selling the cars above MSRP. One would have to check the sales records in the local department of motor vehicles (if they are public) to identify the actual market price. I really do not think dealers will be able to get too much more than MSRP for the new M3 for more than 4-5 months here in the US. Maybe 3-4 grand max. There are plenty of dealers who are taking deposits down at MSRP. And those so-called long waiting lists will become very short the minute things get real, and people have to part with their $65k+.

But then, there are always people with more money than they know what to do with, and they will pay anything for anything. However, I doubt that there will be enough of them interested in the M3 to make a significant impact on the micro-US-M3 market.
lucid is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-06-2007, 03:48 PM   #25
Next M3
Private
 
Next M3's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 E90 330i
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Los Angeles

Posts: 95
iTrader: (0)

Within 3-6 months after release they will be selling at MSRP, just like the M5/M6's.
Next M3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-06-2007, 10:44 PM   #26
mofomat
Captain
 
mofomat's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW M3 (E92)
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Maastricht, NL

Posts: 996
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanjim66 View Post
Why are you opposed to somebody making a couple bucks by being ahead of the curve?
Because it's immoral and real enthusiasts should be in a position to get the M3 first, and for a non-inflated price. Not people just out to make a quick buck/pound.

BMW obviously agree (in Europe at least) because they are clamping down on speculators and investigating anybody who maybe trying to make a quick profit by selling their delivery slot on. They attempted to do this with the CSL.

On a more extreme level, Ferrari only "invited" a select group of people to buy an Enzo. Anybody caught trying to make a quick profit by selling on their Enzo in a short space of time were black listed by Ferrari.

It's the same for ticket scalpers for in-demand music acts.
mofomat is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      06-06-2007, 11:47 PM   #27
tlp
Colonel
 
tlp's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 e92 M3 SG/FR
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Huntington Beach, CA

Posts: 2,009
iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2011 BMW e92 M3  [4.55]
$30k markup...LOL, Yeah Right.
__________________
My Coding Journal
Current - '11 e92 M3 SG/FR ZCP|ZCV|ZP2|2MK|494|415|6NR|752
tlp is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-07-2007, 02:12 AM   #28
MBITION
Private
 
Drives: 1997 Boston Green M3 VFE SC
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Denver, CO

Posts: 51
iTrader: (0)

Only time will tell what the market will support.
MBITION is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-07-2007, 02:17 AM   #29
E90330iS
Major General
 
Drives: E90 330i
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Arcadia, California

Posts: 6,319
iTrader: (55)

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to E90330iS Send a message via MSN to E90330iS Send a message via Skype™ to E90330iS
Good luck......
__________________
1. E90 325i/328i/330i Eisenmann Race Exhaust 2 x 76mm (Used for 30000 miles) $680 OBO
2. BMW M3 Steering wheel $430 OBO
3. BMW OEM Aluminum Strut Bar $125 OBO
4. E90 M3 Jet Black Front Bumper $120 OBO
E90330iS is offline   Germany
0
Reply With Quote
      06-07-2007, 03:25 AM   #30
lucid
Major General
 
lucid's Avatar
 
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 8,034
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBITION View Post
Only time will tell what the market will support.
Not really. All happens within reason, within certain boundaries. There are many competing cars out there. You claim $30k markup. That's about 90$k! Do you how much the GT3 costs (never mind the base 911 or 911S)? Give me a break...

For me, the more meaningful question is when can one get an M3 under MSRP? Will that be more than 1 or 2 years out? I'll order a 2009 model at the end of the summer of 2008. If I'm lucky, I'll be able do that under MSRP.
lucid is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-07-2007, 04:02 AM   #31
Pretender
Colonel
 
Pretender's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 330i, 2007 328i
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bay Area, CA

Posts: 2,292
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
06 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBITION View Post
It depends on your Dealer as far as the transfers go. As for price, who knows. It really depends on what dealers are charging above MSRP. I've heard some pretty crazy numbers from people in CA asking dealers, but only time will tell.
My CA promised me a MSRP, no mark up whatsoever. I bought 2 cars from him. However, I don't plan to get a M3 at the release anyway, maybe in 2010 when the CSL comes out.
__________________
It's a great time to be alive
Pretender is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-07-2007, 04:10 AM   #32
Pretender
Colonel
 
Pretender's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 330i, 2007 328i
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bay Area, CA

Posts: 2,292
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
06 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by imolazhp_ci View Post
MRSP? haha. you mean MSRP. and it's Manufacturer's Suggest Retail Price. and clearly...being from NL, you are completely clueless as to the market for cars in the United States... people paid over $150,000 for M6's in some place... people payed over $70,000 for E46 M3's when they first arrived. These will easily approach $75,000 at dealers. EASILY, and people will pay it without any reservations... in the US, especially on the East and West Coasts, people treat cash like toilet paper.
There're always some dumb riches out there willing to pay. If they were willing to pay $1500 for a PS3, then why not for theb M3...
__________________
It's a great time to be alive
Pretender is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-07-2007, 05:12 AM   #33
MBITION
Private
 
Drives: 1997 Boston Green M3 VFE SC
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Denver, CO

Posts: 51
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
Not really. All happens within reason, within certain boundaries. There are many competing cars out there. You claim $30k markup. That's about 90$k! Do you how much the GT3 costs (never mind the base 911 or 911S)? Give me a break...

For me, the more meaningful question is when can one get an M3 under MSRP? Will that be more than 1 or 2 years out? I'll order a 2009 model at the end of the summer of 2008. If I'm lucky, I'll be able do that under MSRP.
I don't disagree with you. I wouldn't pay $30k over MSRP either, I got that number from people on this site who have gone out and asked Dealers in their area. However, with that said, there are people who will pay over MSRP to be the first person to have it. What that price is, I don't know. Good luck to you.

Last edited by MBITION; 06-07-2007 at 05:32 AM.
MBITION is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-07-2007, 09:01 AM   #34
suburbanjim66
New Member
 
Drives: SUV
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: TX

Posts: 9
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mofomat View Post
Because it's immoral and real enthusiasts should be in a position to get the M3 first, and for a non-inflated price. Not people just out to make a quick buck/pound.

BMW obviously agree (in Europe at least) because they are clamping down on speculators and investigating anybody who maybe trying to make a quick profit by selling their delivery slot on. They attempted to do this with the CSL.
Ya, I see your point - this whole "free market economy" thing.....immoral....riiiiigghhhtttt Maybe BMW should do what Best Buy does when a new Sony Playstation comes out - people can just start camping out on the street to be first in line.
suburbanjim66 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-07-2007, 09:05 AM   #35
MBITION
Private
 
Drives: 1997 Boston Green M3 VFE SC
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Denver, CO

Posts: 51
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanjim66 View Post
Ya, I see your point - this whole "free market economy" thing.....immoral....riiiiigghhhtttt Maybe BMW should do what Best Buy does when a new Sony Playstation comes out - people can just start camping out on the street to be first in line.
Sounds like fun, who's got an old couch????
MBITION is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-08-2007, 03:03 AM   #36
M3shogun
New Member
 
Drives: E46 M3
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Francisco

Posts: 15
iTrader: (0)

MBITION,
hey wats your email address? where can i contact u at?
M3shogun is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-08-2007, 03:20 AM   #37
MBITION
Private
 
Drives: 1997 Boston Green M3 VFE SC
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Denver, CO

Posts: 51
iTrader: (0)

Sent you a PM.
MBITION is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-08-2007, 06:58 AM   #38
MBITION
Private
 
Drives: 1997 Boston Green M3 VFE SC
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Denver, CO

Posts: 51
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyFavourite View Post
i agree. im waiting till aug/sep maybe later before selling mine
I spoke with my dealer yesterday morning, and he "unofficiallly" said that they were going to start taking orders in Late July, and I'm trying to make sure that there is enough time to make the transfer. I guess we'll see. If I don't get what I'm looking for now, I'll put it up again in a few weeks.
MBITION is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-08-2007, 08:37 AM   #39
mkoesel
Moderator
 
Drives: N/A
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canton, MI

Posts: 13,601
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBITION View Post
The "shipping charges" are just for the actual document to be sent to the buyer.
This is more of a question of curiosity but - what does the document look like? Is this a standard document published by BMW USA, or does each dealership work this their own way, and just draw something new up car by car, customer by customer? IOW - is this something that has been used as legally binding contract before, or is it uncharted waters?

Also - another thing you might point out in your ad is, that $500 is no more than a BMW courtesy delivery (I don't think). So, if someone if CO found a car in Cali @ MSRP, they would be no better off than if they bought your spot.
__________________
-
mkoesel is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-08-2007, 08:55 AM   #40
devo
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: .2GT3/335Cpe/991 GT3 coming
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: thinking about cars, girls and money, not necessarily in that order.

Posts: 1,942
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
Not really. All happens within reason, within certain boundaries. There are many competing cars out there. You claim $30k markup. That's about 90$k! Do you how much the GT3 costs (never mind the base 911 or 911S)? Give me a break...

For me, the more meaningful question is when can one get an M3 under MSRP? Will that be more than 1 or 2 years out? I'll order a 2009 model at the end of the summer of 2008. If I'm lucky, I'll be able do that under MSRP.

I agree that a 30k mark up is ludicrous, but don't expect discoints that soon; especially in the large metro areas. And, if you found a discount, what do think it will be? 2k for a MY2010, if you're lucky. Is it worth the wait for that little of a price break?

Even 10k mark ups would be silly imo. But, I am confident some people will pay it. Your are getting way too close to the facelifted 997S price.
devo is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-08-2007, 09:10 AM   #41
MBITION
Private
 
Drives: 1997 Boston Green M3 VFE SC
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Denver, CO

Posts: 51
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
This is more of a question of curiosity but - what does the document look like? Is this a standard document published by BMW USA, or does each dealership work this their own way, and just draw something new up car by car, customer by customer? IOW - is this something that has been used as legally binding contract before, or is it uncharted waters?

Also - another thing you might point out in your ad is, that $500 is no more than a BMW courtesy delivery (I don't think). So, if someone if CO found a car in Cali @ MSRP, they would be no better off than if they bought your spot.
It is a pretty standard form, I don't currently have it in front of me (I'm at work), but at a minimum, it is a standard Dealership form. From what I can tell, it is a legally binding contract with deposit date, terms, etc...

The benefit of someone buying my spot over finding one in CA for MSRP, is that you won't be waiting for the car as long. My #2 spot will be in the 1st allocation. Which according to my dealer yesterday will be in Sept/Oct. "Unofficially".
MBITION is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-08-2007, 10:03 AM   #42
lucid
Major General
 
lucid's Avatar
 
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 8,034
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo View Post
I agree that a 30k mark up is ludicrous, but don't expect discoints that soon; especially in the large metro areas. And, if you found a discount, what do think it will be? 2k for a MY2010, if you're lucky. Is it worth the wait for that little of a price break?

Even 10k mark ups would be silly imo. But, I am confident some people will pay it. Your are getting way too close to the facelifted 997S price.
I'm not waiting because I'm hoping I'll get some kind of discount off the MSRP; that would be stupid. I'll most likely move back to CA in 2008, and I want to buy the car there. I don't want it to go on record in MA as it's hard to get rid of an East Coast car in CA when it's time to part with it.
lucid is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-08-2007, 10:46 AM   #43
devo
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: .2GT3/335Cpe/991 GT3 coming
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: thinking about cars, girls and money, not necessarily in that order.

Posts: 1,942
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
I'm not waiting because I'm hoping I'll get some kind of discount off the MSRP; that would be stupid. I'll most likely move back to CA in 2008, and I want to buy the car there. I don't want it to go on record in MA as it's hard to get rid of an East Coast car in CA when it's time to part with it.
Why is it hard to get rid of an east coast car in CA? Do most west coast citizens believe all east coast cars are driven in snow and salt?
devo is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-08-2007, 11:23 AM   #44
mkoesel
Moderator
 
Drives: N/A
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canton, MI

Posts: 13,601
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo View Post
Why is it hard to get rid of an east coast car in CA? Do most west coast citizens believe all east coast cars are driven in snow and salt?
No, its because you can't register the car in CA if it does not have california emissions equipment (and many cars bought outside of CA don't).
__________________
-
mkoesel is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:06 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST