BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-15-2011, 11:06 AM   #1
BimmerRob08
Major
BimmerRob08's Avatar
United_States
22
Rep
1,257
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 M3, Space Gray
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: KIKR (ABQ), NM

iTrader: (0)

Help me decide. APEX ARC-8 or Forgestar CF5 5 spoke wheels?

So I need to get new wheels to clear my 14.5" APracing front BBK. Currently running 12mm spacers and I've got a light wobble/inbalance that doesn't seem to clear with balancing. I'm gonna stick with 18" wheels. My two choices are;

APEX ARC-8 (Antrhacite or Hyper Black) 18x9.5 Front & 18x10.5 Rear.

Or go with the Forgestar CF5 5 spoke 18x8.5 Front & 18x9.5 rear.

Currently will run with my pretty new PS2's that are 245/40R18 & 265/40R18.

So my questions are what do you guys suggest for;
- DD & light track use?
-Price (both set of wheels is close in price comparison) vs. quality & strength?
-Fitment & balancing, etc.?
-What looks better on a Space-Gray M3?

Thanks all!
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2011, 12:30 PM   #2
Eddy@ApexRaceParts
BimmerPost Supporting Dealership
84
Rep
1,607
Posts


 
Drives: E30 M3, 2011 335d
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerRob08 View Post
So I need to get new wheels to clear my 14.5" APracing front BBK. Currently running 12mm spacers and I've got a light wobble/inbalance that doesn't seem to clear with balancing. I'm gonna stick with 18" wheels. My two choices are;

APEX ARC-8 (Antrhacite or Hyper Black) 18x9.5 Front & 18x10.5 Rear.

Or go with the Forgestar CF5 5 spoke 18x8.5 Front & 18x9.5 rear.

Currently will run with my pretty new PS2's that are 245/40R18 & 265/40R18.

So my questions are what do you guys suggest for;
- DD & light track use?
-Price (both set of wheels is close in price comparison) vs. quality & strength?
-Fitment & balancing, etc.?
-What looks better on a Space-Gray M3?

Thanks all!
The ARC-8 is significantly lighter (2-5lbs lighter) when comparing the same specs vs the CF5. The ARC-8 is available now, there is no production wait. The The widths and offsets for the ARC-8 are correct for a performance fitment on the E9X M3. You have narrow tires now as discussed in another thread, but when you buy tires again in the future you would want to run a 265/285 setup or something comparable in the future (the Michelin Super Sports are available in that size and would be a good replacement in the future to your current PS2's).

If you picked up an 8.5" front wheel now, you would be stuck with an unnecessarily narrow wheel on a car that can easily handle a 10" front wheel with zero modifications. If you know you do not have optimal tire sizes now, and you do want to go to the track at least a few times a year, then do no purchase a wheel size that works ok in the short run, but is a major long run compromise.

The ARC-8's exceed JWL load requirements and are VIA certified (3rd party testing organization in Japan). According to the testing data for the CF5 found on the manufacturers site, the 19" wheel does not meet JWL load rating requirements. There is also no testing data shown for the 18" size at all. I can confirm that none of the CF5 wheels have ever been VIA certified because I have access to the VIA online database that shows every wheels that's been tested. None of the other wheels designs have been VIA certified either except for a few odd offsets for the 18" F14.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2011, 12:51 PM   #3
Alex@Autocouture
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Alex@Autocouture's Avatar
74
Rep
3,668
Posts


 
Drives: E30 M3, E92 Frozen GTS
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Ny

iTrader: (9)

Garage List
2011.75 E90 BMW M3  [3.83]
2011 bmw/ m3  [0.00]
had the arc 8 onmy e92, great wheels
__________________
AUTOcouture Motoring | 15-01 Pollitt Drive St. 6, Fair Lawn NJ 07410
201.666.3500 | Alex@autocouturemotoring.com
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2011, 01:16 PM   #4
persian54
Lieutenant General
persian54's Avatar
United_States
283
Rep
15,810
Posts

 
Drives: SL550. Prev: E93 M3/335i/Z435i
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Valley, SoCal

iTrader: (291)

8.5 is too narrow IMO...might as well stay stock
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2011, 01:49 PM   #5
isugoo
Major General
isugoo's Avatar
United_States
69
Rep
5,724
Posts

 
Drives: 14 M5 CP
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Irvine, CA

iTrader: (62)

Quote:
Originally Posted by persian54 View Post
8.5 is too narrow IMO...might as well stay stock
+1
__________________

PAST: 11 E70 X5M | 08 E90 M3 | 08 E92 335i | 03.5 E46 M3 | 99 E36 M3
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2011, 01:51 PM   #6
isugoo
Major General
isugoo's Avatar
United_States
69
Rep
5,724
Posts

 
Drives: 14 M5 CP
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Irvine, CA

iTrader: (62)

why not the 9.5/10.5 Apex? They're running a group buy as we speak.
__________________

PAST: 11 E70 X5M | 08 E90 M3 | 08 E92 335i | 03.5 E46 M3 | 99 E36 M3
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2011, 02:51 PM   #7
1Sleeper
First Lieutenant
1Sleeper's Avatar
United_States
3
Rep
384
Posts

 
Drives: E90 M3, 997tt, Jeep
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Where I need to be

iTrader: (1)

Great wheels, great seller.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2011, 05:59 PM   #8
persian54
Lieutenant General
persian54's Avatar
United_States
283
Rep
15,810
Posts

 
Drives: SL550. Prev: E93 M3/335i/Z435i
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Valley, SoCal

iTrader: (291)

Quote:
Originally Posted by isugoo View Post
why not the 9.5/10.5 Apex? They're running a group buy as we speak.
+1

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=582766
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2011, 06:45 PM   #9
ALUFELGEN
ALUFELGEN's Avatar
United_States
68
Rep
2,059
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: South Florida

iTrader: (5)

Send a message via AIM to ALUFELGEN Send a message via MSN to ALUFELGEN
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintpro21 View Post
The ARC-8 is significantly lighter (2-5lbs lighter) when comparing the same specs vs the CF5. The ARC-8 is available now, there is no production wait. The The widths and offsets for the ARC-8 are correct for a performance fitment on the E9X M3. You have narrow tires now as discussed in another thread, but when you buy tires again in the future you would want to run a 265/285 setup or something comparable in the future (the Michelin Super Sports are available in that size and would be a good replacement in the future to your current PS2's).

If you picked up an 8.5" front wheel now, you would be stuck with an unnecessarily narrow wheel on a car that can easily handle a 10" front wheel with zero modifications. If you know you do not have optimal tire sizes now, and you do want to go to the track at least a few times a year, then do no purchase a wheel size that works ok in the short run, but is a major long run compromise.

The ARC-8's exceed JWL load requirements and are VIA certified (3rd party testing organization in Japan). According to the testing data for the CF5 found on the manufacturers site, the 19" wheel does not meet JWL load rating requirements. There is also no testing data shown for the 18" size at all. I can confirm that none of the CF5 wheels have ever been VIA certified because I have access to the VIA online database that shows every wheels that's been tested. None of the other wheels designs have been VIA certified either except for a few odd offsets for the 18" F14.
Yikes
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 01:32 PM   #10
BimmerRob08
Major
BimmerRob08's Avatar
United_States
22
Rep
1,257
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 M3, Space Gray
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: KIKR (ABQ), NM

iTrader: (0)

Thanks all. I think the desition has been made for ARC-8 then.

Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 01:41 PM   #11
BimmerRob08
Major
BimmerRob08's Avatar
United_States
22
Rep
1,257
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 M3, Space Gray
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: KIKR (ABQ), NM

iTrader: (0)

One last question. My M3 is space gray metalic. which color wheels will look best?

Black
Anthracite
Hyper black?

I kinda like the anthracite and hyper black but pictures never show the real color as it'll look in person. What do you all think?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2011, 12:47 PM   #12
ModBargains III
Lieutenant
United_States
4
Rep
423
Posts

 
Drives: E92 335i, 135i, E46 M3, 540i
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: 1721 E. Lambert Rd. Unit C, 90631 La Habra, CA

iTrader: (0)

Forgestar wheels ARE VIA and JWL certified. Please look at the information below. This also pertains to the CF5 wheel as well:

[IMG]http://www.**********s.com/images/Products/Forgestar%20Wheels/forgestarjwlvia.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://www.**********s.com/images/Products/Forgestar%20Wheels/new18.jpg[/IMG]

Forgestar has long been an advocate for wheel durability testing. We strongly believe that any issue regarding consumer safety is an important one. We want every customer contemplating the purchase of Forgestar wheels to know that it has been carefully engineered by the Forgestar team and thoroughly tested in our in house testing laboratory as well as an independent third-party testing laboratory.

On this website, we will provide actual test reports from independent third-party test laboratories such as Standards Testing Labs (STL).

The most common test standards we use are those published by SAE (J2530) and JWL VIA. We will provide PDF files of these actual test reports as well as an explanation of how the tests are performed and what the results mean to you as a consumer.

We test every width in each wheel design family with the offset configuration that presents the greatest testing challenge and subject it to the equivalent of a full product lifetime of stress in our own in house testing laboratory. Then we send one of each wheel design to a independent third-party laboratory for added tests. In this way, we insure that the recommended wheel fitment is safe at maximum rated load.

PDF files can be found here:
http://www.forgestar.com/v2/testdata.php

Test Procedure:
Using computer simulation it is possible to perfect the wheel design before the wheel goes into final production. However, the ultimate conclusions are generated during the test procedure. The test criteria checked by Forgestar Wheels simulates the toughest road conditions.

Overview of Forgestar test scenarios:

Dynamic cornering fatigue test:
The transverse forces which affect the wheel during driving through bends are simulated.

Dynamic radial fatigue test:
The stress to the wheel going straight or cornering is simulated.

Impact test:
The strength (center disc, rim flange, assembled part) against breaking and air-leak is simulated.


One more thing to note, if you're using a BBK with a rotor size of 380mm like most StopTech, and Brembo applications for E9X M3's, you will only be able to fit an 18" wheel in there if it's a Forgestar CF5. Apex cannot say the same about their ARC-8 Wheels. If you have any further questions, please contact me directly.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2011, 01:27 PM   #13
Eddy@ApexRaceParts
BimmerPost Supporting Dealership
84
Rep
1,607
Posts


 
Drives: E30 M3, 2011 335d
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by **********s III View Post
Forgestar wheels ARE VIA and JWL certified. Please look at the information below. This also pertains to the CF5 wheel as well:

[IMG]http://www.**********s.com/images/Products/Forgestar%20Wheels/forgestarjwlvia.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://www.**********s.com/images/Products/Forgestar%20Wheels/new18.jpg[/IMG]
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintpro21
According to the testing data for the CF5 found on the manufacturers site, the 19" wheel does not meet JWL load rating requirements. There is also no testing data shown for the 18" size at all.
The testing data posted above is for the F14 only, in those offsets only (which does not include the wide range of offsets actually produced and sold). That testing has nothing to do with the CF5 in anyway what so ever.

I am intimately familiar with the VIA certification process, as I oversee the testing of our own wheels. For a wheel to be certified by the VIA, you have to ship 2 wheels with tires already mounted for each wheel mold to the VIA in Japan. If a wheel design is available with different levels of spoke concavity (meaning a different mold or tooling produced the product), then 2 wheels need to be tested for each of those as well. That means a single design is actually viewed by the VIA as a wheel entirely on it's own. That's what makes testing expensive. One design might take 2-3 mold per diameter if it comes in varying levels of concavity or lip depth. Two completely different wheel designs have to be independently tested. The testing of one has absolutely nothing to do with the other.

The screen capture posted of the VIA database clearly shows that the design tested is the F14 and not the CF5. It says it right on there, under the column where manufactures enter their wheel design name. We have the ARC-8 and AERO-7 listed under that field, with testing for each diameter, width, and offset. It's also clear that not a single other wheel design or diameter from that manufacturer shows up in that database. If the other designs were tested, they would be listed there, including testing for the 18's, 19's and 20's.

The testing data on the manufacturer's site available today via the link posted, clearly shows that none of the 19" wheels (of any design) were tested at the JWL load rating standard.

The stamping on the wheel has no merit on it's own. Numerous wheel manufacturers stamp the JWL/VIA logo into wheels that do not meet requirements to use of those logos. The picture posted is the backside of an F14 wheel that was posted online after increasing it's load rating from 1200lbs to 1520lbs, and not a CF5. The F14 for example, had the JWL/VIA logo stamped on it even when it had a 1200lbs load rating and was untested/uncertified by the VIA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by **********s III
One more thing to note, if you're using a BBK with a rotor size of 380mm like most StopTech, and Brembo applications for E9X M3's, you will only be able to fit an 18" wheel in there if it's a Forgestar CF5. Apex cannot say the same about their ARC-8 Wheels.
The ARC-8 can clear a stoptech 380mm BBK. It cannot clear a Brembo 380mm BBK.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2011, 02:23 PM   #14
elh0102
Captain
7
Rep
704
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Donít know if it will help, but here is a pic of space gray with Apex Hyper Black wheels. They are all four 18X10
Attached Images
 
__________________
2011 Space Gray Coupe, DCT, ZCP, StopTech ST-60/ST-40 BBK.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2011, 01:39 AM   #15
BimmerRob08
Major
BimmerRob08's Avatar
United_States
22
Rep
1,257
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 M3, Space Gray
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: KIKR (ABQ), NM

iTrader: (0)

Well, I'm no wheel expert but looks like both wheels are a great product. My ARC-8 wheels came in yesterday. Pic's to come later. Anthracite color looks almost exactly the same gloss gray as the stock 18" wheels, which I like, and wanted.

So they should work just as well as the Forgestar's would have. I just hope Apex is right that the ARC-8's will clear the APracing 14.5" BBK, eitherwise I got a HUGE problem on my hands.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2011, 05:55 AM   #16
elh0102
Captain
7
Rep
704
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerRob08 View Post
Well, I'm no wheel expert but looks like both wheels are a great product. My ARC-8 wheels came in yesterday. Pic's to come later. Anthracite color looks almost exactly the same gloss gray as the stock 18" wheels, which I like, and wanted.

So they should work just as well as the Forgestar's would have. I just hope Apex is right that the ARC-8's will clear the APracing 14.5" BBK, eitherwise I got a HUGE problem on my hands.
Shouldn't be a problem, my car has 15" StopTech fronts.
__________________
2011 Space Gray Coupe, DCT, ZCP, StopTech ST-60/ST-40 BBK.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2011, 12:49 PM   #17
Eddy@ApexRaceParts
BimmerPost Supporting Dealership
84
Rep
1,607
Posts


 
Drives: E30 M3, 2011 335d
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerRob08 View Post
Well, I'm no wheel expert but looks like both wheels are a great product. My ARC-8 wheels came in yesterday. Pic's to come later. Anthracite color looks almost exactly the same gloss gray as the stock 18" wheels, which I like, and wanted.

So they should work just as well as the Forgestar's would have. I just hope Apex is right that the ARC-8's will clear the APracing 14.5" BBK, eitherwise I got a HUGE problem on my hands.
You provided measurements in another thread, and I confirmed they would fit. If they don't clear your brakes, we'll take them back, at no cost to you.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2011, 01:58 AM   #18
BimmerRob08
Major
BimmerRob08's Avatar
United_States
22
Rep
1,257
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 M3, Space Gray
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: KIKR (ABQ), NM

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintpro21 View Post
You provided measurements in another thread, and I confirmed they would fit. If they don't clear your brakes, we'll take them back, at no cost to you.


Ok, thanks for confirming. I'm sure they'll work great!
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2011, 03:04 AM   #19
JS11
Private First Class
4
Rep
192
Posts

 
Drives: '08 E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Cambridge, MA

iTrader: (3)

i think bmws look the best with mesh wheels, so i say go with the arc-8s. also have you ever thought of going with a square setup? for track use it will feel a lot better, and as others have said you should go with at least 9.5" width wheels.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2011, 07:02 AM   #20
BimmerRob08
Major
BimmerRob08's Avatar
United_States
22
Rep
1,257
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 M3, Space Gray
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: KIKR (ABQ), NM

iTrader: (0)

I would have had to get new tires up front most likely with a square set up. But went with the staggered set up. Pictures coming soon.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:50 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST