BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > Australia
 
Alpine HID
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-11-2011, 07:48 PM   #1
SPQR M3
First Lieutenant
 
SPQR M3's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 E92 325i
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Australia

Posts: 319
iTrader: (0)

Akrapovic Evolution - quick review

Props to Andrew@Southern BM for putting up with my 1,000 questions and emails over this but he looked after me and arranged freight to Adelaide.

I had been looking into a good quality exhaust system for my E92 but as I had been "scarred" by previous experiences of overly loud or droney exhausts on previous cars I was reluctant to do anything that would compromise the quality of my car. My decision was made all the more difficult by the fact that there are no Akra dealers in Adelaide, nor to best of my knowledge, was there anyone who had an Akra exhaust on their car here where I could listen to. (As it turns out, there was someone else, but I found that out much later).

So I decided to do as much research as possible online by reading other people's reviews and watching about 500 youtube video clips. Based on this, I decided to take the plunge.

On the day of installation, I went down to the garage to check out the exhaust and was blown away by the weight - or lack of it. I lifted up the stock system and it felt like a concrete block in comparison. I had also read a lot about the build quality and workmanship of the Akra system and can confirm that it's like a work of art - a metallic work of art. It almost looks and feels too good to be used as an exhaust system, hidden away under the car where no-one can see it.

After installation, the mechanic started the engine and I heard a nice, deep bassy sound, but was pleasantly surprised to discover that it wasn't as loud as I thought. The idle note is actually quite similar to stock, just a bit more bass to it.

I had also ordered the Akra Delete-R module to eliminate CEL, as well as the carbon fibre tips, which look great on my AW car. Pics to follow.

So, the driving experience. The first thing that hits you when you drive is the noticeable roar. Once you get past 2K, there is a very definite roar that builds - subtle at first, but then becomes very obvious - and it sounds amazing. At higher revs, over 5K, the sound becomes more frenetic, much like the V8 Supercars, but not as loud. The pitch and tone is very similar to the said V8's, but at all times it retains a deep, yet not overly intrusive, roaring sound. And the bonus? No drone. I drove 170km on highway roads over the weekend at various speeds up to 130km/h and never once did I detect a drone.

The performance: The first few days, I didn't notice any real difference, but that was mainly suburban driving. I attributed this to the ECU relearning though, and after around 3 days I found that the car started to pull harder out of corners , especially in 2nd and 3rd. On the country drive that I did, I found the car feeling more effortless going up hills and that throttle response was slightly sharper. I feel that the car would greatly benefit from a tune, and this is planned at a later date.
SPQR M3 is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      09-11-2011, 08:20 PM   #2
whyw8
Lieutenant
 
Drives: E92 M3 ZCP Jerez Black DCT
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Melbourne

Posts: 508
iTrader: (0)

Southern BM FTW!!!!!
whyw8 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-12-2011, 03:11 AM   #3
Steven.ActiveMotorwerke
Active Motor
 
Steven.ActiveMotorwerke's Avatar
 
Drives: M3 E92
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Posts: 194
iTrader: (1)

Nice review mate.
I noticed my Akra exhaust will lose low end torque without tune.
But after the tune from SBM it's feeling more powerful than before.
Enjoy your ride then!
Steven.ActiveMotorwerke is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      09-12-2011, 06:03 AM   #4
Kyoshi71
Colonel
 
Kyoshi71's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 M3 Coupe
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: New York

Posts: 2,528
iTrader: (0)

How about the infamous torque dip that so many describe. Have you felt it at lower RPMs?
__________________
"But resist we much; we must; and we will much; about that be committed."
~Rev. Al Sharpton


2010 E92 M3|Silverstone II|M-DCT|NCSW|2MT|ZCW|ZPP|ZTP|302|507|Gas Guzzler Tax
Kyoshi71 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-12-2011, 06:16 AM   #5
jonasaurus
Brigadier General
 
jonasaurus's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: London

Posts: 3,140
iTrader: (0)

Congrats mate, nice review. Hopefully in the near future when my car is sent back to Melbourne wil be able to come see what the Akra is like!
__________________
///M3 | E90 LCI | Space Grey | Fox Red with CF Structure | 6MT | 260M | My build
jonasaurus is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      09-13-2011, 10:58 PM   #6
cookdesk
Private
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Sydney

Posts: 59
iTrader: (0)

Interesting review - thanks.

I have just put the full innotech ipe f1 system on my car. With the valve closed it sounds perfect for city driving and normal use i.e. about as loud as stock but a better sound. With the valve open it is quite frankly insane... only usable in the country or at the track in reality.

I recent days (only driven 4/5 days since installation) I have also noticed a bit of a power bump and the car seems to shoot through the rev range a bit quicker.

I have ordered the Evolve tune so will let you know how that goes.

Carbon tips on AW car also for me...
cookdesk is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      09-15-2011, 01:44 AM   #7
andrew@southernBM
 
andrew@southernBM's Avatar
 
Drives: 135i, M3 92 SC'd, M235i
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Melbourne, Australia.

Posts: 1,457
iTrader: (0)

I'm glad you are happy with the product and achieved the result you were after. Thank you for your custom.
andrew@southernBM is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      09-16-2011, 02:53 AM   #8
Frozen Black
Private
 
Frozen Black's Avatar
 
Drives: M3 E92 2010 Frozen Black
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Australia

Posts: 83
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPQR M3 View Post
Props to Andrew@Southern BM for putting up with my 1,000 questions and emails over this but he looked after me and arranged freight to Adelaide.

I had been looking into a good quality exhaust system for my E92 but as I had been "scarred" by previous experiences of overly loud or droney exhausts on previous cars I was reluctant to do anything that would compromise the quality of my car. My decision was made all the more difficult by the fact that there are no Akra dealers in Adelaide, nor to best of my knowledge, was there anyone who had an Akra exhaust on their car here where I could listen to. (As it turns out, there was someone else, but I found that out much later).

So I decided to do as much research as possible online by reading other people's reviews and watching about 500 youtube video clips. Based on this, I decided to take the plunge.

On the day of installation, I went down to the garage to check out the exhaust and was blown away by the weight - or lack of it. I lifted up the stock system and it felt like a concrete block in comparison. I had also read a lot about the build quality and workmanship of the Akra system and can confirm that it's like a work of art - a metallic work of art. It almost looks and feels too good to be used as an exhaust system, hidden away under the car where no-one can see it.

After installation, the mechanic started the engine and I heard a nice, deep bassy sound, but was pleasantly surprised to discover that it wasn't as loud as I thought. The idle note is actually quite similar to stock, just a bit more bass to it.

I had also ordered the Akra Delete-R module to eliminate CEL, as well as the carbon fibre tips, which look great on my AW car. Pics to follow.

So, the driving experience. The first thing that hits you when you drive is the noticeable roar. Once you get past 2K, there is a very definite roar that builds - subtle at first, but then becomes very obvious - and it sounds amazing. At higher revs, over 5K, the sound becomes more frenetic, much like the V8 Supercars, but not as loud. The pitch and tone is very similar to the said V8's, but at all times it retains a deep, yet not overly intrusive, roaring sound. And the bonus? No drone. I drove 170km on highway roads over the weekend at various speeds up to 130km/h and never once did I detect a drone.

The performance: The first few days, I didn't notice any real difference, but that was mainly suburban driving. I attributed this to the ECU relearning though, and after around 3 days I found that the car started to pull harder out of corners , especially in 2nd and 3rd. On the country drive that I did, I found the car feeling more effortless going up hills and that throttle response was slightly sharper. I feel that the car would greatly benefit from a tune, and this is planned at a later date.
Who did the install in Adelaide?
__________________
Drive it like its stolen
Frozen Black is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      09-16-2011, 07:43 PM   #9
SPQR M3
First Lieutenant
 
SPQR M3's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 E92 325i
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Australia

Posts: 319
iTrader: (0)

^ Adelaide BMW
SPQR M3 is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      09-18-2011, 04:36 PM   #10
sarddenso
Private First Class
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Sydney

Posts: 114
iTrader: (0)

I know this might sound weird, but can you run the Akra muffler without the tips installed?
What happens if you don't have them on?
sarddenso is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-18-2011, 06:20 PM   #11
andrew@southernBM
 
andrew@southernBM's Avatar
 
Drives: 135i, M3 92 SC'd, M235i
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Melbourne, Australia.

Posts: 1,457
iTrader: (0)

This may help you?

andrew@southernBM is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      09-18-2011, 06:26 PM   #12
w00tw00t
Lieutenant Colonel
 
w00tw00t's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Z06
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Seattle

Posts: 1,618
iTrader: (11)

I think its very much possible but why would you want to do this?? it'd look very ugly IMO.
w00tw00t is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-18-2011, 06:29 PM   #13
andrew@southernBM
 
andrew@southernBM's Avatar
 
Drives: 135i, M3 92 SC'd, M235i
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Melbourne, Australia.

Posts: 1,457
iTrader: (0)

Actually, this shows the size of the pipe work better, see how the pipe is smaller and the tips really bulk it out.

andrew@southernBM is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      09-18-2011, 07:58 PM   #14
SPQR M3
First Lieutenant
 
SPQR M3's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 E92 325i
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Australia

Posts: 319
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarddenso View Post
I know this might sound weird, but can you run the Akra muffler without the tips installed?
What happens if you don't have them on?
Why? It looks stupid without the tips.
SPQR M3 is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      09-18-2011, 08:18 PM   #15
sarddenso
Private First Class
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Sydney

Posts: 114
iTrader: (0)

didn't realise the tips were that much larger than the pipe.
i didn't want such fat looking tips
do the tips contirbute to the sound?
sarddenso is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-18-2011, 09:32 PM   #16
w00tw00t
Lieutenant Colonel
 
w00tw00t's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Z06
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Seattle

Posts: 1,618
iTrader: (11)

akra without tips is going to look very stupid.. I love my Akra evo carbon tips ... they look awesome!
w00tw00t is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-18-2011, 09:54 PM   #17
Totti
Troll
 
Totti's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Posts: 1,192
iTrader: (0)

Andrew pls PM price of slip on
__________________
BMW E92 M3 Coupe | Jerez Black | Fox Red Extended / Carbon Black Trim| Fully Loaded | Moonroof | 6MT | Gintani Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by ES_TRADER
Use the stick like u would a manual. If that doesn't work, put it in D mode and put both hands at 10 and 2. If that doesn't work, just sit on your right hand.
Totti is offline   Italy
0
Reply With Quote
      09-18-2011, 11:11 PM   #18
SPQR M3
First Lieutenant
 
SPQR M3's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 E92 325i
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Australia

Posts: 319
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by w00tw00t View Post
akra without tips is going to look very stupid.. I love my Akra evo carbon tips ... they look awesome!
+1
SPQR M3 is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      09-21-2011, 06:56 PM   #19
leigh
Major
 
leigh's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 e92 zcp m3
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: melbourne

Posts: 1,037
iTrader: (0)

my car has an akra stage 2 ms intake aa pulley and the ess akra flash tune that southern bm did for me the tune makes the most power by far i think it pulls alot harder at all rpm and is much more smooth

its a waste not to get the tune to go with an akra!!!
leigh is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-21-2011, 09:02 PM   #20
MFKN3
Lieutenant Colonel
 
MFKN3's Avatar
 
Drives: 4.5L stroker s/c E92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Australia

Posts: 1,933
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh View Post
my car has an akra stage 2 ms intake aa pulley and the ess akra flash tune that southern bm did for me the tune makes the most power by far i think it pulls alot harder at all rpm and is much more smooth

its a waste not to get the tune to go with an akra!!!
Leigh, how do you find the pulley kit?
MFKN3 is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      09-21-2011, 09:40 PM   #21
leigh
Major
 
leigh's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 e92 zcp m3
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: melbourne

Posts: 1,037
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFKN3 View Post
Leigh, how do you find the pulley kit?
well when the pulley got put on it got the tune at the same time so its hard to say but the car revs quicker and thats why i wanted it so im very happy with everything
leigh is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:26 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST