BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

GetBMWParts

09-11-2011, 10:46 AM   #1
Montoya
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: M3

Fun at ORP!

Wow! What a fun day we had at ORP this weekend. A really fun track that is very challenging. My orientation lap instructor described it this way: "PIR is a 101 level course, ORP is graduate school 600 level course."

The video just can't capture the flowing up and down nature of the course and dramatic off camber crests on apex's that test your confidence. It takes a while to build up that confidence and trust that the correct line will set you up for the next turn you can't see. Really, really fun- I can't wait to go back!

This video is with my friend Fen335i from the last session. We ran together for about 5 laps and it was a hoot. I started the last session with DSC off for the first time and my lap times were suffering as a result. After PrimeBMW passed me and then Fen335i I turned it back on so I could hang and play with everyone before we went home!

Next time I'm going to have to start out with DSC off and gain the confidence on track. For me it is a confidence thing approaching the limit, more mental than anything. I know I can control the car and it communicates as it get's out of shape, I just... need to know it won't do something suddenly in the middle of a 3rd gear corner at 70 mph. Must practice more....

'08 E92 IB, Gone
'10 GT3 now in my garage!
'10 X5 3.5D
'12 E91 Xi Wagon MT sports package

Last edited by Montoya; 09-11-2011 at 12:37 PM.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2011, 10:58 AM   #2
1MOREMOD
2014 Track Days - 11|Ridge 1:52:24|Pacific 1:35:72
United_States
Rep

Drives: Race car->

sweet i gotta make it down there for a day for sure.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2011, 12:11 PM   #3
Fen335i
Captain
Rep

Drives: e92 M3 / X5d / Z4 M Roadster

Thanks for posting Montoya...what a great day! Like you said, it is a very technical track, but once you run through the course enough times where you can remember the turns and where to position your car to set you up for each blind corner, it gets easier. (well, maybe not easy but certainly not as frightening!)

For anyone that lives in the NW and is getting a little bored with PIR or Pacific, you need to get down to ORP. Its so worth the trip!

It was nice to meet you Montoya...and Prime. The e9x M3 was well represented!
Appreciate 0