BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

09-06-2011, 10:45 AM   #1
jmarino21
Private First Class

Drives: 335i xDrive

Winter driving / general M tire life

I live in Cleveland where the winters arent brutal but can be shitty sometimes.

Deciding whether or not to keep my current car or put it towards an M. I'll probably end up keeping it because its paid off, but had some questions about snow tires etc. if I did decide to drive an M year round.

First off, what snow tires are good and how much do they cost? I figure I would just buy a 2nd set of wheels too, and swap the everything myself. Or should I have it done at a dealership? What am I looking at for the wheels themselves?

Regarding tire life in general....from what I've ready people seem to get about 15k out of their rear tires and somewhat more out of the front. 4 new tires on my Corolla ran me like 400 bucks total, I figure M tires are at least 2-3 times that. I got 50k out of the last set.

Just trying to get an idea of costs to help me make a decision. Thanks.

-James
jmarino21 is offline   United_States
      09-06-2011, 11:18 AM   #2
Foodle
Captain

Drives: 2011.75 E90 M3

There is a thread just a few posts below that talks about this as well as an entire sub-forum on wheels and tires ...
Foodle is offline   United_States
      09-06-2011, 11:22 AM   #3
E92_SID
Brigadier General

Drives: 2011.5 MR/BB E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarino21 View Post
I live in Cleveland where the winters arent brutal but can be shitty sometimes.

Deciding whether or not to keep my current car or put it towards an M. I'll probably end up keeping it because its paid off, but had some questions about snow tires etc. if I did decide to drive an M year round.

First off, what snow tires are good and how much do they cost? I figure I would just buy a 2nd set of wheels too, and swap the everything myself. Or should I have it done at a dealership? What am I looking at for the wheels themselves?

Regarding tire life in general....from what I've ready people seem to get about 15k out of their rear tires and somewhat more out of the front. 4 new tires on my Corolla ran me like 400 bucks total, I figure M tires are at least 2-3 times that. I got 50k out of the last set.

Just trying to get an idea of costs to help me make a decision. Thanks.

-James
Try 4 times that! Michelin PS2 or Super Sports will cost you closer to around 400 each! And....I dont know about getting 15k out of them. I am still on my first set but they are just about done and I have almost 10k on the clock. Then again, nobody says you have to put those tires on your car. A have seen allot of people run Hanooks that have similar specs and are about half the price.

As far a winters go, I live in Denver so I know what snow looks like. This year I am going to mount some Blizzacks on my stock 220's and use that as my winter set. Then I plan on buy an entirely new set of 20in somethings next spring.
      09-06-2011, 02:45 PM   #4
pbonsalb
Major

Drives: 08 E90 M3, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

If you do not need the highest performance tires, you can get a set for $800. Many of us here would then question why you bought an M3 instead of a 328i. If you want the best, figure on $1200 to $1400. And they may last only 15k miles, though some with higher treadwear and thus lower performance, should last longer. Tires for the 328i should last a lot longer than 15k, but probably not the 50k you got with your Corolla.

I put snows on the stock wheels and bought other wheels for three season use. No need to have a professional change the wheels. Wheels cost anywhere from $200 to $1000 each. I paid about $300 each for mine through a group buy for Apex ARC8 wheels at this website. Tire Rack sells wheels for about $200 that they recommend for snow wheels for these cars.

Some people like to drive a beater car while they keep their M3 pretty in the garage and others like to drive the M3 in all weather even if it gets dirty or chipped by rocks or covered with salt from treated snow.
      09-06-2011, 05:33 PM   #5
DBH
First Lieutenant

Drives: 2011 M3 E92

If you can resist driving your M3 like stole it all the time, you can certainly get something over 15k miles out of a set of tires. Keep in mind that the way these cars are set up the rears wear out much sooner than the fronts.

I've dealt with the Tire Rack over many years. Prices are competitive, service is great and they can drop ship to a local installer if you want. However, I've always ordered a tire/wheel package and have them deliver to my home where I'll do the install myself. This can save you $30-40 twice a year to swap snow & summer tires.

Driving an M3 in winter with snows on all four wheels is not a problem unless you consistantly need to drive in snow deeper than 4-5 inches as the M3 doesn't have a lot of clearance.
      09-09-2011, 11:49 PM   #6
llis
octane chick

Drives: Ms

Garage List
2003 BMW M5  [0.00]
2002 BMW 530i (fs)  [0.00]
2013 BMW M3  [5.00]
I like the Dunlop Wintersports. I've had Blizzaks on another car and they're great, but the Dunlops seem to do better on dry, slush and snowpack, less so in fresh snow or powder.

2013 E92 ///M3 ZCP 6MT Speed Yellow 2003 E39 ///M5
llis is offline   United_States