BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

08-31-2011, 01:17 PM   #1
M3V8Driver
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: E92 M3 - DCT

How does one go about getting route info updated for RTTI?

I have a 2008 BMW M3 with RTTI. I noticed while traveling to/from work, some route numbers are incorrectly displayed. For example, the main highway between Pittsburgh, PA and the Pitt. International Airport shows as 279, but in fact, it was renamed 376 several years ago. I recently purchased and installed the latest NAV software DVD with the expectation this will be resolved. However, while the DVD has the current route numder (376), the RTTI still displays 279. How can I get this resolved, as there are other similar examples I have noticed in my limited travel area. I did go to: http://totaltraffic.com/, but didn't find the issue int he FAQ.
      09-01-2011, 07:06 AM   #2
M3V8Driver
Captain
United_States
Rep

Dear Moderator... I posted this question to the "General" section for a reason. It will never get noticed here <<sound of crickets in foreground>>.
      09-01-2011, 07:27 AM   #3
Technic
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2015 320i

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3V8Driver View Post
I have a 2008 BMW M3 with RTTI. I noticed while traveling to/from work, some route numbers are incorrectly displayed. For example, the main highway between Pittsburgh, PA and the Pitt. International Airport shows as 279, but in fact, it was renamed 376 several years ago. I recently purchased and installed the latest NAV software DVD with the expectation this will be resolved. However, while the DVD has the current route numder (376), the RTTI still displays 279. How can I get this resolved, as there are other similar examples I have noticed in my limited travel area. I did go to: http://totaltraffic.com/, but didn't find the issue int he FAQ.
Send a detailed email to info@totaltraffic.com
-2007 MK5 GTI United Grey/Grey, DSG: Gone
-2004 E46 M3 Carbon Black/Cinnamon, 6MT: Gone
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2011, 08:15 AM   #4
M3V8Driver
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
Send a detailed email to info@totaltraffic.com
I did that two days ago, but have not heard back.

To update my original post, the navigation DVD doesn't appear to be up-to-date either. It's weird. If I plan a route for guidance, it shows the correct route number (376), but when just displaying the map, it show's the wrong one (279). Tele-Atlas will take the DVD back and refund the $200+ (less S&H of course), but that doesn't offer any confidence that any other discrepencies I encountered will be fixed either:

220 into State College, PA was re-routed over 7 years ago, but still shows the old path. The display actually shows current position as being off into the forrest!

Going from Pittsburgh to VIR via 79 to 19 to 77, the nav will not accept 158 through the mountains as the shortest or fastest route from 77, even though it is both (even if going by speed limits, because it is an extra 100+ miles to go all the way south to Richmond and then back up to Alton/Danville!)!

Total Traffic's website shows the correct route designation, but neither the traffic info nor the NAV will display the correct route when I look it up.
      09-01-2011, 10:45 AM   #5
Technic
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2015 320i

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3V8Driver View Post
I did that two days ago, but have not heard back.

To update my original post, the navigation DVD doesn't appear to be up-to-date either. It's weird. If I plan a route for guidance, it shows the correct route number (376), but when just displaying the map, it show's the wrong one (279). Tele-Atlas will take the DVD back and refund the $200+ (less S&H of course), but that doesn't offer any confidence that any other discrepencies I encountered will be fixed either:

220 into State College, PA was re-routed over 7 years ago, but still shows the old path. The display actually shows current position as being off into the forrest!

Going from Pittsburgh to VIR via 79 to 19 to 77, the nav will not accept 158 through the mountains as the shortest or fastest route from 77, even though it is both (even if going by speed limits, because it is an extra 100+ miles to go all the way south to Richmond and then back up to Alton/Danville!)!

Total Traffic's website shows the correct route designation, but neither the traffic info nor the NAV will display the correct route when I look it up.
It seems to me then that RTTI uses a subset of the database for road/map GUI designations from the main address database to match whatever advisory it sends.

Did you ask TeleAtlas why the 376 still is 279 in their map GUI database (if such a thing exists)?
-2007 MK5 GTI United Grey/Grey, DSG: Gone
-2004 E46 M3 Carbon Black/Cinnamon, 6MT: Gone
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2011, 12:41 PM   #6
M3V8Driver
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
Did you ask TeleAtlas why the 376 still is 279 in their map GUI database (if such a thing exists)?
Yes, but as you could imagine, the service rep had no clue. All she was interested in was getting the DVD back and issuing a refund. I'd rather have the product with what it advertises as offering, that is, the latest updates. When I prodded for correction, she wanted me to submit the update via the web site. I asked if she could do it since I was driving and she was in front of a computer, so she asked for logitude and latitude coordinates. WTF? I told that even if I could figure out how to obtain those, it wouldn't matter since I wasn't actually currently on the route! Can you say "frustration"?