BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)
 
European Auto Source
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-24-2008, 04:36 PM   #1
gblansten
Beandoc
 
gblansten's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 BMW M5 SG/SS
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Thick ascending limb

Posts: 2,073
iTrader: (0)

M3 owners and those in the know...ground clearance?

Any M3 owners with ground clearance problems? I have a steep driveway and was wondering if anyone had problems. Has anyone measured the height of the front bumper?
gblansten is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-24-2008, 07:56 PM   #2
KASM3
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2011 M3
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: NC

Posts: 213
iTrader: (0)

I have not measured it but parked next to my 330 there isnt a visual difference. I do have the 19's. I have no scraping issues. The manual does say if you have steep grade, put suspension in sport mode and that will keep it from traveling when you go over bumps or hit a grade. I will try to measure it tomorrow if someone hasn't answered 'officially' by then.
KASM3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-24-2008, 08:00 PM   #3
gblansten
Beandoc
 
gblansten's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 BMW M5 SG/SS
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Thick ascending limb

Posts: 2,073
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KASM3 View Post
I have not measured it but parked next to my 330 there isnt a visual difference. I do have the 19's. I have no scraping issues. The manual does say if you have steep grade, put suspension in sport mode and that will keep it from traveling when you go over bumps or hit a grade. I will try to measure it tomorrow if someone hasn't answered 'officially' by then.
Thanks.

Putting the car in sport mode is a great idea.
gblansten is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-25-2008, 02:21 AM   #4
kbk_75
Lieutenant
 
Drives: Alpine White E92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bombay, India

Posts: 404
iTrader: (0)

I have scraped the bottom of my car on a speed bump at the top of a driveway when I had three people in the car and the EDC was set to comfort. Since then I always put my EDC into the firmest mode and do the "one wheel first and then the other" trick to get over that particular bump.

In general I have not had any problems with ground clearance even though in India our "speed breakers" are more like mountains. To answer your question, my car's front ground clearance is approx. 4 1/4".
kbk_75 is offline   India
0
Reply With Quote
      03-25-2008, 10:02 AM   #5
the_stranger
Captain
 
the_stranger's Avatar
 
Drives: e92 M3 6MT
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Lafayette, IN

Posts: 927
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbk_75 View Post
In general I have not had any problems with ground clearance even though in India our "speed breakers" are more like mountains. To answer your question, my car's front ground clearance is approx. 4 1/4".
That is true. Dude, You have an M3 in India?
__________________

2008 e92 M3 6MT AW/BLACK (SOLD)
2009 e92 M3 6MT AW/FR
the_stranger is offline   India
0
Reply With Quote
      03-25-2008, 12:17 PM   #6
gblansten
Beandoc
 
gblansten's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 BMW M5 SG/SS
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Thick ascending limb

Posts: 2,073
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbk_75 View Post
I have scraped the bottom of my car on a speed bump at the top of a driveway when I had three people in the car and the EDC was set to comfort. Since then I always put my EDC into the firmest mode and do the "one wheel first and then the other" trick to get over that particular bump.

In general I have not had any problems with ground clearance even though in India our "speed breakers" are more like mountains. To answer your question, my car's front ground clearance is approx. 4 1/4".
Thanks a lot for your help and especially measuring the bumper height.
gblansten is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-18-2008, 03:28 PM   #7
kbk_75
Lieutenant
 
Drives: Alpine White E92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bombay, India

Posts: 404
iTrader: (0)

@ stranger: yeah I have an M3 in India! M3 FTW!

@ gblan: my pleasure.
kbk_75 is offline   India
0
Reply With Quote
      04-18-2008, 07:37 PM   #8
OzStriker
Captain
 
OzStriker's Avatar
 
Drives: Ford Falcon Ute, Ducati 1198S
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Melbourne

Posts: 923
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Send a message via MSN to OzStriker
I have a few scratches on the underside of my front spoiler, I am careful over undulations but it still scrapes at times.

Cars with a front lip and/or lowered will scrape lots IMO.
__________________
BMW E92 M3 6MT, G-Power SKII supercharged, custom exhaust with 100 cell cats and Remus Sport mufflers, Brembo 380mm BBK, BMW Performance steering wheel, LUX H8 angel eyes, CF CSL boot, Hamann CF diffuser, Vorsteiner CF lip, CF grilles, CF gills, CF bonnet vents, BMW Performance stripes, RAC RG63 wheels, Eibach lowering springs, camber modifications.
OzStriker is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      04-18-2008, 08:09 PM   #9
SS32
Major
 
SS32's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 M3
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Raleigh, NC

Posts: 1,431
iTrader: (0)

I scraped a few times on my friend's driveway, but it wasn't the bumper. There's a section covered in hard fabric that hits before the bumper.
SS32 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-19-2008, 10:53 AM   #10
nechronics
Lieutenant
 
nechronics's Avatar
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: May 2007
Location: south tampa

Posts: 438
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmoo32 View Post
I scraped a few times on my friend's driveway, but it wasn't the bumper. There's a section covered in hard fabric that hits before the bumper.
I scraped that as well. I coulda sworn I had enough clearance as the curb seemed to be very very low. I overestimated the height of my car though.
__________________
AW/FR e92 M3
nechronics is offline   Syria
0
Reply With Quote
      04-19-2008, 11:08 AM   #11
ersin
Brigadier General
 
ersin's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 IB E92 M3
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Maryland

Posts: 3,999
iTrader: (1)

I learned my lesson with the E46 M3. I never had a car before that was that low to the ground. I am much more careful now about parking. If I have to I'll open the door and stick my head out if I can't see how close I am. Just be careful and don't try to get the nose over any sort of barrier. Good luck.
__________________

I've been assimilated. 6MT/ZPP/18"/PS extended.
ersin is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-29-2011, 01:47 AM   #12
meruyailir
Lieutenant
 
meruyailir's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 325, E70 X5 3.0
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Indonesia

Posts: 471
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS32 View Post
I scraped a few times on my friend's driveway, but it wasn't the bumper. There's a section covered in hard fabric that hits before the bumper.
Yeah, that hard fabric thing hanging so low it did get scraped. Anyone know what that is?
__________________
2008 E70 X5 3.0 Alpine White
2005 E90 325 Black Sapphire
meruyailir is offline   Indonesia
0
Reply With Quote
      08-29-2011, 06:16 AM   #13
gblansten
Beandoc
 
gblansten's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 BMW M5 SG/SS
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Thick ascending limb

Posts: 2,073
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by meruyailir View Post
Yeah, that hard fabric thing hanging so low it did get scraped. Anyone know what that is?
This thread I'm linking gives more details and parts numbers:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...ront+felt+part
gblansten is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-29-2011, 06:22 AM   #14
brava09
Captain
 
Drives: '11 Audi RS5
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Europe

Posts: 694
iTrader: (0)

My M3 ground clearance on the 19'' is better than the ground clearance on my 335i with 17''.
__________________
11 Audi RS5 Misano Red
08 E92 M3 Jerez Black 6MT--sold
08 E92 335i 6MT traded in for M3
brava09 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-29-2011, 06:48 AM   #15
edu09
Major
 
edu09's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Frozen Black M3 ESS 650
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Doral, FL

Posts: 1,204
iTrader: (4)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gblansten View Post
Any M3 owners with ground clearance problems? I have a steep driveway and was wondering if anyone had problems. Has anyone measured the height of the front bumper?
I have a Vorsteiner front lip, 19" wheels and 30 profile tires and have a 5" front clearance
__________________
2013 M3 E93 | Frozen Black, individual interior black with red stitching, Carbon Leather trim, M Double-clutch Transmission, Enhanced Premium Sound Sys
Mods: ESS VT2 650 SC / Akrapovic GT4 Exhaust / Brembo 365 kit / HRE RB2 wheels / Toyo R888 tires / KW coilover sleeve kit / OSS V4 kit / OEM Frozen Blk Rear Lip Spoiler / BMW Performance Black Grilles / BMW Wind Deflector / FB Vorsteiner Front Spoiler / FB side gills
edu09 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:20 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST