BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

rolloface

08-20-2011, 08:05 PM   #45
nuzey
Private First Class

Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singletrack View Post
What if you try the physical key? It's up above the license plate.
Yup tried that and it did not work
      08-20-2011, 09:52 PM   #46
///M Ryder
Grown Azz Man

Drives: 2011.5 Dinan ///M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuzey View Post
Yup tried that and it did not work
Make sure the lock in the glove compartment is not set.........Phil
2011.5 E92 Dinan///M3: SSII DCT- Comp, Prem 2, and Conv Pkg, Heated Seats, Enhanced Prem Sound, Edition Grills/Gills, M Performance Steering Wheel, Carbon Fiber Performance Spoiler, BMW Pedals, Dinan Exhaust, Dinan X-Pipe, Dinan Carbon Fiber Intake, Dinan Software Tune, Dinan DCT Tune, Dinan Pulley Kit, Dinan CH-R Wheels, Dinan Carbon Fiber Strut Tower Braces, Arkym Lip, IND M5 Mirror Caps, Carbon Reflectors, Lux H8 V3, Brembo 365mm BBK
///M Ryder is offline   United_States
      08-20-2011, 10:30 PM   #47
Will911t
Private First Class

Drives: 2008 BMW M3 E90

There is a trunk lock in the glove compartment?
Will911t is offline   Canada
      08-20-2011, 10:36 PM   #48
nuzey
Private First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will911t View Post
There is a trunk lock in the glove compartment?
Haha you learn something new everyday. It's on the top left corner. Mine was always unlocked. It's still not working.
      08-21-2011, 08:28 AM   #49
Will911t
Private First Class

Drives: 2008 BMW M3 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuzey View Post
Haha you learn something new everyday. It's on the top left corner. Mine was always unlocked. It's still not working.
I did learn something new...thanks!
Will911t is offline   Canada
      08-22-2011, 09:19 PM   #50
///My5UV
Lurker

Drives: E39M5, E90M3

Hmm... given how you say you drive, I think the perf. tune is a waste of time, but one question... did they indeed replace a sensor, or just reflash all your modules and declare victory? If the later, I suspect the CEL will return next time the sensor goes out of whack.

Your experience is an example of why I have my "no major service within 3 days of going on the road or to the track" rule. Because if something can go wrong, it definitely will.

Good luck! Hopefully the trunk gremlin will work itself out.
      08-22-2011, 10:39 PM   #51
llis
octane chick

Drives: Ms

Garage List
2003 BMW M5  [0.00]
2002 BMW 530i (fs)  [0.00]
2013 BMW M3  [5.00]
I've had software glitches. One time it took two overnight downloads to get the update to fix the DCT sluggishness issues, as well as to get BMW Assist functions to work. From what I can gather, it seems my car had firmware issues with the head unit or a component of it. I'm guessing here. But I can say that doing a fresh reinstall of software is kind of a standard procedure for a glitchy system that is throwing mysterious errors. As noted above, patches can fail unexpectedly.

Another interpretation of the dealer's question: Do you have an custom tuning here? ... because if you don't stop me, I'm going to overwrite everything. A master mechanic who's been around a while may know enough from sound/feel of the car (as OP apparently went by) to sense something is different and ask before deleting a customer's mod. Could have been simply a courtesy call to ask, not anything like an accusation.

2013 E92 ///M3 ZCP 6MT Speed Yellow 2003 E39 ///M5
llis is offline   United_States
      08-23-2011, 12:46 PM   #52
nuzey
Private First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///My5UV View Post
Hmm... given how you say you drive, I think the perf. tune is a waste of time, but one question... did they indeed replace a sensor, or just reflash all your modules and declare victory? If the later, I suspect the CEL will return next time the sensor goes out of whack.

Your experience is an example of why I have my "no major service within 3 days of going on the road or to the track" rule. Because if something can go wrong, it definitely will.

Good luck! Hopefully the trunk gremlin will work itself out.
Honestly I don't really own a M3 to drive fast. I want that V8 engine sound and exhaust (looks as well). And yes they did both; replaced the sensor and reflashed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by llis View Post
I've had software glitches. One time it took two overnight downloads to get the update to fix the DCT sluggishness issues, as well as to get BMW Assist functions to work. From what I can gather, it seems my car had firmware issues with the head unit or a component of it. I'm guessing here. But I can say that doing a fresh reinstall of software is kind of a standard procedure for a glitchy system that is throwing mysterious errors. As noted above, patches can fail unexpectedly.

Another interpretation of the dealer's question: Do you have an custom tuning here? ... because if you don't stop me, I'm going to overwrite everything. A master mechanic who's been around a while may know enough from sound/feel of the car (as OP apparently went by) to sense something is different and ask before deleting a customer's mod. Could have been simply a courtesy call to ask, not anything like an accusation.
Yeah I am sure they know I tuned the car, that's why they questioned me. They were test driving the car after the sensor was replaced and the CEL came. Pretty sure they felt my car had a different feel than stock after that 8 mile test drive. They could not void my warranty because I denied tuning the car. They could not find any trace of the tune being done anyway.

Just an update, my car is on its way to Vegas right now by Intercity Lines. I have to say it's a great company to work with. I might go to a dealership near Vegas to fix the trunk issue. That will be another week though
      08-25-2011, 01:40 AM   #53
Titanium Silver
Four Star General

This is why my car is stock. Too much tuning drama. I love mods, but sometimes it's a pain in the ass.

E92 M3 | Jet Black | All OEM Everything
      08-25-2011, 08:10 AM   #54
E90Fleet
Major General

Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Benvo View Post

If BMW was involved and they did suspect foul play (which there is no reason to in the first place), there is potential that they could find out about it. It's not easy though and would require time and money investment on their part.

Agreed.

On major claims where software is suspected BMW can have the system software verified.
This will find any non-BMW software/changes, but it is not something dealers can do or are shown how to do, nor is it something done often by BMW.

BMW if you are reading, I need a job
E90Fleet is offline   South Africa
      08-25-2011, 10:22 AM   #55
///M Ryder
Grown Azz Man

Drives: 2011.5 Dinan ///M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SehrSchnell View Post
It mostly comes down to what kind of relationship you have with your dealership.
This is the best statement of this thread. Without this you have problems and sleepless nights...............Phil
2011.5 E92 Dinan///M3: SSII DCT- Comp, Prem 2, and Conv Pkg, Heated Seats, Enhanced Prem Sound, Edition Grills/Gills, M Performance Steering Wheel, Carbon Fiber Performance Spoiler, BMW Pedals, Dinan Exhaust, Dinan X-Pipe, Dinan Carbon Fiber Intake, Dinan Software Tune, Dinan DCT Tune, Dinan Pulley Kit, Dinan CH-R Wheels, Dinan Carbon Fiber Strut Tower Braces, Arkym Lip, IND M5 Mirror Caps, Carbon Reflectors, Lux H8 V3, Brembo 365mm BBK
///M Ryder is offline   United_States
      08-25-2011, 05:12 PM   #56
mpbruin108
Mpbruin108

Drives: I'm a hypermiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SehrSchnell View Post
Why did you have them check the ECU when you are running a tune? What did you think would happen?
my thoughts exactly..its like asking them to find it if they can.

2013 Tesla Model S, 2010 RR Phantom, 2014 S550, 2014 BMW X5, 2015 Cayenne S platinum edition
      09-10-2011, 08:47 PM   #57
Mike Benvo
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

Drives: Harrop SC M3 / E46 M3 / 7Turbo

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [5.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [5.00]
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Benvo
Quote:
Originally Posted by username11 View Post
All that BMW would need to do is run a delta between your software revision (post tune) and a standard ECU. With the values determined through the delta, it would be easy to check for them to see if your tune has been applied. Hopefully they do this; threads like this would therefore become extinct and all would benefit.

"Hey guys, I don't like to drive fast, but I put a fake CSL bumper on my car to make it look faster, and bought a tune which does stuff to my car I have no idea about. I took it to the dealer so the dealer could inspect my ECU, I'm not sure why I did that, but here I am, can you help me?"
At the dealership level, this is not possible.

And past that level, it's unlikely for the comparison to ever take place unless there is reason to suspect foul play.

If you flashed back to stock before, it's an added layer because the map data will be back to stock.

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Mike Benvo is offline   United_States
      09-10-2011, 10:32 PM   #58
Lay-Z M3
Private First Class

Drives: ASPP 135i Cab, E90 M3, Mk6 GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsiciliano View Post
The way around this is simple. Get to know your SA, find out what he drinks and bring him a bottle every once in awhile or slip him a twenty.
My SA colleagues at the dealership(s) I've worked at - liked Coffee & Donuts
Lay-Z M3 is offline   Canada
      09-11-2011, 09:52 AM   #59
FVM3
Major General

Drives: e92 m3, f30 328i

u cant live with both. I just cant understand those with mods and care a lot about the warranty. My car is heavily modded and never had problem with the warranty. Even though one day dealer voids my warranty i dont care because i modded it, so what?
      02-09-2013, 11:31 AM   #60
alipali
Private

Drives: M3

I'm not sure it's in any dealer's interest to pursue a warranty invalidation as the result of a tune (especially when the tune has likely nothing to do with the broken part in question). Better for them to keep you happy and retain a loyal customer. Any dealer that got a rep for being pissy about tunes would be pushing business to their competitor.
      02-09-2013, 06:17 PM   #61
mscdman
Private First Class

Drives: 335xi

I know this is off topic and non-helpful but I don't understand why someone would take a 75k car and mess/tune the ECU.

I used to own a MR2 turbo. I modified everything on that car including tuning the ECU to run more aggressive. Guess what? Over time the engine blew.

BMW designs these cars to be highly fast and good as they are for a 75k car. Why take a chance at ruining you perfectly fast car?

I just don't get it. Maybe I'm over that 20 something stage of my life where "mod everything" was the motto. Then again I was modding a 8k car, not a 75k piece of engineering dream.
      02-09-2013, 08:10 PM   #62
Mike Benvo
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

Drives: Harrop SC M3 / E46 M3 / 7Turbo

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [5.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [5.00]
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Benvo
This thread is over a year old...

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Mike Benvo is offline   United_States
      02-09-2013, 09:52 PM   #63
mscdman
Private First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Benvo
This thread is over a year old...
Thanks captain obvious
      02-09-2013, 10:10 PM   #64
SD-E93-11
First Lieutenant

Drives: 2011 E93 M3 Jerez Black/Black

Maybe mscdman was running a search - like forum members always tell people to do - and this thread came up.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
SD-E93-11 is offline   United_States
      02-09-2013, 10:21 PM   #65
mscdman
Private First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD-E93-11
Maybe mscdman was running a search - like forum members always tell people to do - and this thread came up.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
Actually I didn't restart it, someone else did...
      02-10-2013, 10:22 AM   #66
Powerbeast
Major General

Drives: E90 M3 Dakar Yellow

Should have told the dealer not to do a re flash
Powerbeast is offline   United_States